Sponsored by:

Audi to Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi to Acura?

Hi all!

This is my first post on THIS forum, I've been looking for a while though and enjoy a lot of your posts and the 3G photo thread

Anyway, I've been looking to get an 3G TL for a couple months now, and I think I'm finally ready to get rid of my 02 Audi A4 for a TL.

My Audi has given me numerous (very expensive) mechanical issues, and I just want to get rid of it and get something more reliable, and I hope that Acura is that car.

I guess I just am just making this post to ask users with older or higher mileage Acura's how their cars are holding up, and ask whether or not this would be a good decision.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My ex-wife and her husband are getting rid of his A8 because of the astronomical repair expenses.
I did quite a bit of research coming from diesel Mercedes, and Acura seemed like the most car for the $$$$, and plenty reliable.
And if you like to hang plastic and LED lights on things, it gets even better........
Old 01-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Instructor

I have owned 4 Acuras now, Two 90 Integras cause one got totaled when a drunk clipped my wheel and a 96 GSR and now a 03 CL Type-S, never done any major repairs besides basic maintenance, nothing crazy, one ball joint and a cv boot out of all the three older cars and the timing belt and water pump, thats it..brakes and oil changes is all you ever have to do with Honda / Acura and why i keep going back, cars hold up well and no real problems for the most part
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I came from a BMW 540 because of the maintenance cost. If you decide to get a 3G try to find one with good service records (like you would for any other car) and you should be happy.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyl
My ex-wife and her husband are getting rid of his A8 because of the astronomical repair expenses.
I did quite a bit of research coming from diesel Mercedes, and Acura seemed like the most car for the $$$$, and plenty reliable.
And if you like to hang plastic and LED lights on things, it gets even better........
HAHA

and acuras = mucho reliable
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
I got rid of my 02 S4 for my 06 TL and I have never regretted the decision. My Audi was plagued with too many issues to list. It was a lemon like most other VW / Audi products.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm about 95% sure on switching to an Acura!
I don't think y'all even WANT to know how much I've spent in repairs for my Audi, way way more than I ever should have!

Everything about Acura is tempting to me, all I really need to do is find the right one
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a very simple rule to live by...Lease German, buy Japanese.
If you follow this rule you almost always wind up in a good place. I have owned 19 vehicles in the last 10 years. I leased an 06 A4 S-line and loved it. It needed some repairs but they were covered under warranty so I didn't mind that much (however it is never convenient to have the dealership take your car for a day). I have owned several Hondas/Acuras, currently an 06 TL and an 06 MDX, and I only do maintenance on them.
So if your budget can afford a new leased Audi, have fun and get rid of it when the lease is up. If you want less headaches overall, buy the Acura.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by ENAHS
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm about 95% sure on switching to an Acura!
I don't think y'all even WANT to know how much I've spent in repairs for my Audi, way way more than I ever should have!

Everything about Acura is tempting to me, all I really need to do is find the right one
First of all, welcome to AZ Second, take your time in your search. Some members have searched up to 3 months to finally find the TL they wanted. Better to get what you really want than to settle for something else. Good luck with your search. One site people overlook while searching is www.acuratrader.com.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it I just bought my tl and searched for a while best move i made
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
First of all, welcome to AZ Second, take your time in your search. Some members have searched up to 3 months to finally find the TL they wanted. Better to get what you really want than to settle for something else. Good luck with your search. One site people overlook while searching is www.acuratrader.com.
Wow thanks so much for that website, I've been looking for something like it for a while now!! I've been looking for the past 2 months I've tried craigslist, eBay, autotrader and cars.com, nothing ever seems to work out!

On a side note, does anyone have experience driving their beautiful TL in the snow? We get a lot of it here in upstate NY!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Plastic schmastic

Wow thanks so much for that website, I've been looking for something like it for a while now!!
Don't get too excited with that website. Amazingly overpriced TL's!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmyl
Don't get too excited with that website. Amazingly overpriced TL's!!!!!!
Geez you're right about that!! I actually found one on here that would be perfect for me, I just don't know how to get in contact with the seller as I can't PM yet
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Wow thanks so much for that website, I've been looking for something like it for a while now!! I've been looking for the past 2 months I've tried craigslist, eBay, autotrader and cars.com, nothing ever seems to work out!

On a side note, does anyone have experience driving their beautiful TL in the snow? We get a lot of it here in upstate NY!
Since the TL is a fwd it will fair better than the snow than rwd's, good all seasons (conti DWS) or winter tires will be sufficient to handle most snow conditions (short of complete ice or banking yourself on snow)

The things working against it are high horsepower and weight.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Geez you're right about that!! I actually found one on here that would be perfect for me, I just don't know how to get in contact with the seller as I can't PM yet
the seller didnt leave a phone #?
post the link, and we'll help you get in contact.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leedogg
Since the TL is a fwd it will fair better than the snow than rwd's, good all seasons (conti DWS) or winter tires will be sufficient to handle most snow conditions (short of complete ice or banking yourself on snow)

The things working against it are high horsepower and weight.
Well that's a good thing, I knew they were FWD and that was a pro, but I'm used to the Audi quattro system (which is amazing I do have to admit) so I don't want to wreck my new car because of snow

Originally Posted by justnspace
the seller didnt leave a phone #?
post the link, and we'll help you get in contact.
Nope, he didn't. I already commented on the post but he hasn't been here in over a week.

The link for the ad is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/member-cars-sale-49/2004-tl-5at-spec-louisville-ky-803386/
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I went from an 03 Passat AWD ( basically an Audi ) to an 06 TL. I never had any issues at all with the Passat .. nada.

Reason I went to the TL was because the Audi/VW came out with the ugly nose in 06.

Some things you will miss.

Fit and finish on TL isn't close.
Leather in the VW was way better.
No rain sensing wipers.
Poor heated seats. And less positions of heat. Passat had 5 and they worked quick.
Less rattles in the Audi/VW
Weak auto in the TL
No fold down rear seat.
Dunno bout the newer ones but the cup holder in the front is the worst design/placement I have seen.
No sliding / height adjustable center arm rest. I really miss this!!!!!!
No cooled glove box.
VW forums work better than this one. ( Least in Canada )

You will gain more HP & better milage and a bit more room than the A4.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Instructor

I had a 2005 Audi Allroad. It was a very nice car. No unscheduled repairs needed (breakdowns) other than the coil packs taht were replaced under factory warranty/recall. It did go in for high priced maintenance and there were some bugs taht cost some money to get fixed. I earned my money back on the extended warranty though so it wasn't that bad.

It was great in the snow! I have yet to drive my TLS in the snow.

I sold it and bought my 2007 TLS to reduce my monthly costs. Tires for the Audi are 200 a piece, 125 for the Acura in the same brand and model of tire. Fuel up from 17 mpg avg uphill, downhill, fast slow to 18 to 30 with the TLS depending on the trip. Payments from 640/mo to 400/mo. and maintenance less expensive and less often.

My Audi was quieter. I believe it had very good sound deadening, but it did have some noises that my 20 year old BMW never had, but not as many clunks and rattles as the Acura does. That thump from the right rear panel behind the seat can be very annoying at times.

It is a fun daily driver although, it does ride very stiff. If you want a soft ride try the base TL instead of the Type S.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Mile High

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Currently it is -13 degrees and snowing in Denver. TL-S started up no problems and has done excellent in the snow/ice. This is my first winter driving it and I have absolutely no complaints. I just have All Season tires (Bridgestone Potenza G109 Grids) and use the "Auto Manual" mode to stay in low gears and she is good to go.

I researched a whole mess of different cars before I bought my TL (including Audis, Infinitis, Hondas, Subarus, and Acuras), and I fell in love with the TL-S. I couldn't find anything close to it in either value, styling, or reliability.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Don't get me wrong guys, it's not that I don't enjoy my Audi, it's my baby! I just don't want to pay so much for an 8 year old car, where I could keep expenses down and get (IMO) a better car!

I also am interested in modding, not too much, but things that make it different from every other TL out there, and I feel like that would be much easier (and cheaper) with an Acura!

I appreciate everyone's feedback very much, in other forums (that are also quite well established) they generally don't pay any attention to newbies :o
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Shane ... we always welcome new members
Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Thank you, I do feel welcome!

Oh and BTW I checked out your detailing site and you do some awesome work, I'd definitely get my car detailed by you if we lived closer. Probably the nicest Passat I've ever seen!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=ENAHS;12676289]Thank you, I do feel welcome!

Oh and BTW I checked out your detailing site and you do some awesome work, I'd definitely get my car detailed by you if we lived closer. Probably the nicest Passat I've ever seen![/QUOTE]

Thank you
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Owning a german car out of warranty is asking to go broke, and the car will grant your wish.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Plastic schmastic

Originally Posted by BradE
Owning a german car out of warranty is asking to go broke, and the car will grant your wish.
These days owning darn near any car out of warranty puts you in that situation. I fear the electronics on my wife's FX35! I just hope it keeps working.....
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Update: went and test drove a TL today! It was from a private seller, and he told me that the only thing he's had replaced in the car is the transmission. I feel like this is both good/bad. Should I get it checked out for timing belt, etc?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Instructor

I believe the recommended timing belt change is at 105k. The cost ranges from $700 to $1,400 depending on your area and if they replace all components that could be replaced while having the front end apart.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Well this car is almost at 125k, so he definitely should have had it done by now?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He should have, yes.