Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: All former E39 5 Series BMW owners who purchased an 04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: All former E39 5 Series BMW owners who purchased an 04 TL

If there are any late model ('99 to '03) E39 5 Series owners out there who either traded in their 5 Series Bimmer or used to have one and now have a new TL I'd like to hear from you. Are you glad you made the switch? Any regrets?

I almost bought a new TL when they came out late last year but opted instead for a 2002 BMW CPO 525i automatic with the Sport/Premium Pkg (Black Sapphire/Sand)---bought it 12/31/03 at BMW of Nashville. I love the way the car handles and looks but (I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to me but now it's REALLY bugging me) the engine (only 185 hp) is a real dog. This last week, I got squeezed in an acceleration lane on the highway and had to floor it to avoid getting hit...There was nothing there...no power at all...the car hesitated and finally took off after it harshly downshifted and I damn near redlined the engine. The good news is that it's a CPO car (currently 41k miles on the odometer) that is warrantied by BMW until 5/2008 or 100k miles whichever comes first AND the CPO warranty is fully transferable to whoever I sell it to. I drove the TL again last week and was reminded that power is NOT a problem in this car. I love Honda products (used to drive an Accord and my wife drives an '02 Odyssey van) and believe I'd now be better off with the TL (should be about an swap, pricewise--I hope!).

Any input from Forum members would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Team Anthracite

same exact thing happened to me yesterday

i was merging on the freeway and the guy in the rightmost lane was going fast on my rear, making it obvious that he was going to pass me and that i was going to merge behind him. then he SLOWS DOWN which blocks me in, i slow down more to let him pass.

he didnt get it and finally i had to almost floor it to get in front of him.

and earlier before that i had to roar around the right side of a truck that was raining dust and debris. i rushed around him and he ended up honking at me.

well, if he wanted to exit there, he should have been signaling... if he was mad at me passing him on the right, he shouldnt be raining dust and pebbles behind him in the first place.

so, yeah, ive already had two instances where the power has kept me out of a crappy situation. only 450 miles on it too... i shouldnt be flooring it yet
Old 07-10-2004, 08:05 PM
mic
10th Gear

I (unwillingly at first) decided to give up my 02 530 (sport/premium black on black) when I moved back up to Canada as the Canadian government felt it was only fair that they charge me almost $14,000 in taxes to import the car into Canada (7% GST, 7% PST and 6.1% import duty on the assessed value of the car). Neddless to say, I was unwilling to do so and one thing I'll say about the 530 is it holds its value so I didn't lose that much.

So my hunt began for a new car. My first trek was back to the BMW dealership as I can honestly say the 530 was the nicest, most fun to drive car I had ever owned. I had seen the new ones on the road and I didn't think too much of it other than I liked the look of the 02 better than the 04, but I had pretty muched decided that I was just going to plunk down the cash and pick up a new 530 after driving it a few times.

While I was shopping I had seen a couple TL's on the roads of Vancouver and thought "Thats a cool looking car, wonder what it drives like?" So, off to the Acura dealer I went and I took out a black auto with navi. The dealer was pretty cool and let me take it for a Saturday afternoon, so I spent 4 hours driving around and getting re-aquainted with Vancouver.

Now, I can honestly say that even given the extra horsepower and torque, the 530 is just a better engineered car and for me is more enjoyable to drive, but the $43K price tag for the TL and the $70K price tag for the 530 was definitely the deciding factor. It is nicer, but not $27,000 nicer. Not even close.

If I was considering a 3 series the decision may have been different, but once I got used to the TL, for some reason the 3 never really entered my mind as an option.

Now that I have had my TL for a couple of months, I can honestly say I don't regret it at all.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

If its not an E39 540i you are better off with a TL. I have an e46 M3 that I use for the track and just traded in my 99TL to an 04 TL today. The 3rd generation TL is totally different with the 2nd generation as it is more nimble hands down. I am very impressed with the 04 and it felt like a BMW in certain ways.

One thing I don't understand with the 04 TL however is the steering feel on long sweeping turns. Something with the power assist makes it feel not sure footed.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am a former owner of 2 E39 BMWs. i originally had a 98 528i and later swapped it for a 01 530i. both cars came with manual trans, sport and premium package and even the upgraded sound system. i was on my way to getting the 04 530i and just decided that it was not worth the extra $25K. the 3G TL just gives you the most for your money.

i agree that the 3G TL has a lot of similarities with the E39s. to improve the sterring/handling, i strongly recommend upgrading the suspension. i've had my CompTech springs for about a month now and i love it. the steering feel is much better and the ride is just right. i thought that Acura had to make the stock suspension on the soft side to make almost everyone happy. for drivers who need a better feedback from the vehicle, this simple upgrade would do it.

for all of you who have taken the plunge from the BMW world into the Acura world, welcome!!! i am not putting down BMWs. i still love them to death. but like i mentioned, i could have easily gotten a new 530, but i just could not see the reasoning of paying the huge difference in price for a car that has the same under powered engine since 01. the V8's power i would definitely consider, but the price again can bring me home 2 of these wonderful TLs.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

3Putt: (Thanks to all for replying) Since I am a true neophyte when it comes to modifications like this can you answer a dumb question. Where would I find these CompTech springs? (Acura dealer? elsewhere?) How much are they (all 4 wheels or just the fronts?) for a set and how much does it cost to have them installed? (Can Acura dealer do this as well?). Does it significantly affect the way the car looks? I really like the look of the stock TL (read no A-Spec for me). Does this change the way the car looks? -- Hope not...If it causes the handling dynamics to improve to the extent that the TL begins to corner like my 525i then we may be on to something here. The ONLY thing I don't like about my E39 525 is the darn engine. It just doesn't have enough ponies!

Please advise....Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
price is not too much if you really look at what you are getting in return. i was fortunate enough to have an acura dealer that sells and installs aftermarket products to any acura vehicle. the best part about the dealer installing it is that it will be covered in your 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. you can also get the springs from different places or from Comptech (comptechusa.com) directly. i paid $240 for the springs and the install cost $260.

as far as looks, the car looks better. it gives it a nicer/sportier stance. the springs only really lower your car from 1" - 1.5" in the front and the back.

i have posted reviews on the springs. if you go to both of the links below, you can follow the thread and read my reviews. you can also check out the before and after pictures. you can hardly notice the difference from a distance. you will definitely notice when you drive it.

i suggest that you talk to your dealership of choice and see if they perform any aftermarket installations. you can also buy the springs from my dealership (www.parkaveacura.com).

here are the links:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84353

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84861
Old 07-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Automobile Aficionado

I have a E39 BMW 525i with manual, sport package, premium package, xenon, etc... Overall i enjoyed this car... i bought it with stick so it feels MUCH faster than it looks on paper. My lease is coming up in few months and I'm replacing it with a TL Navi Auto. My BMW stickered at $41k (relatively a bargain among the competition at that time) while the TL stickers at $35k.

Not a big price difference until you consider that the TL has
EIGHTY FIVE (85) MORE Horsepower (and 60 more torque)
Navigation (very nice)
Hi End Stereo System and CD changer
Feels more comfortable inside
Better looking inside, and
i expect it to have significantly fewer trips to the dealer for warranty after warranty issue.

Worse for BMW is that the new E60 like my 525 would cost $46k.....
and a 530 like equipped like a TL would cost $56k.....
not to mention the E60's strange looks outside and in.

As far as what your giving up...
E39 is better looking car exterior IMO and
BMW badge does have some value (i'd say a few thousand not 20 thousand though) and
it does take almost any turn at any speed with great confidence and stability.
I figure (from very lengthy behind the wheel experiences with TL) TL is probably 8/10s of the 5 series' handling. I think i can live with and enjoy that ... for now.

Since you just bought the BMW though....looks like your gonna lose some money on the exchange.....
Old 07-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Racer

well i can say from driving my dads e39 540i without the sports suspension and an auto, that while it lacks that backpressing torque, and the steering on the car is alot stiffer, other then that the TL is a much more fun car to drive.

When doing around the town arons for my parents, I have the choice between a 300ZX, a 540i, and my car (TL). I always take my car..

heh this is alot shorter then the rest of the other posts, and I know what i said was prb said in a post before mine, but just wanted to express my only thoughts (if that all made sense )

heh also the subs in the premium sound system on the BMW is soo overated. two subs? I know where they are but they sound so toned down compared to my single 8 inch... i dunno
Old 07-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

Twenties: Yea, you're right about losing some money on the switchout...I plan on selling the 525 myself and thankfully, it is a BMW Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle and the CPO warranty is fully transferable to whoever (must be an individual--no dealers) buys my car. It has 41k miles on it right now (mint condition) and is still under the factory warranty period. Heck, I just bought it 12/31/03. The CPO warranty takes it out to 100k miles or May 2008, whichever comes first. In other words, whoever buys it from me will have exactly the same warranty as someone that purchases a CPO Bimmer off a BMW lot---for a heck of a lot less than a dealer would charge...probably at least $2000 less, maybe more.

From what everyone is saying, looks like no one has any regrets going to the TL. It is a tremdous value...By the way, to avoid losing my shirt on this deal I've been scouring Autotrader, Ebay, etc looking for a used '04 TL auto with Navi. There are none to be found. Those used '04 TLs I've located were basically no cheaper than just buying a new one...which is probably what I'll do...gotta sell the Bimmer first...

Thanks.