3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a car cover on their TL? Or any vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
baller on a budget, b!tch

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Anyone use a car cover on their TL? Or any vehicle...

Contemplating buying a car cover but have 0 experience with brands, types, etc. I need one for obvious reasons that would be simple to take off. Any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Acura brand car cover. I don't use it a lot but have been using it lately as the trees are "shedding" and have gotten crap all OVER the car. The cover stops all the little buds from getting in places that you can't get them out of, or at least not easily.

It goes on fairly easy (with some practice maybe a couple of minutes) and comes off as easily. JUST waxed the car over last weekend and that is a drawback for the car cover...it slides all over the place now that the car is slick. <g> And, if wind is blowing...well, it can be a pretty good battle.

I *do* like the mirror pockets on the cover as they help anchor the cover while you're trying to get it on/off in less than ideal conditions.

As you would expect, the fit is very nice.

My only real complaint is that it seems pretty stiff to me. Doesn't seem to scratch the paint or anything, just like the one I have for the Camaro much better - it's VERY soft (and old <g>).

If you've been to Costco or places like that and have seen the material on the covers there, it's about the same stuff from Acura.

HTH.
The following users liked this post:
AcRightLINY (06-08-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
everyday the car is clean and parked at home.

the acura cover i hear is pretty good and its custom fit for the car. though i'm not sure how resilient the material is.

i'm on my second cover for my TL. the first one was a universal fit (covercraft block it cover or the evolution-i think, it was not quite $200) and was adequate for what i needed it for to keep the tree crap and bird crap off the car. used that for about 4 years until it developed a tear in it from the roof rack. the cover didn't quite cover the butt end of the car, but again it was adequate for the time being (plus it was a gift, so i can't complain).

my current cover for the car i coughed up the extra bucks for an actual custom fit it to accomodate my roof rack (x-mas present for my car). covercraft noah custom fit (see avatar). fits like a glove and so far keeps the car pretty clean and dries out quickly from downpours we get here without leaving much on the car (can't even tell it rained unless you look at the windows for traces). nothing a little detail spray won't clean up!

both covers were easy on and off in about a minute. so its not that bad. just don't drag the edges of the cover over the car. if you follow the instructions on how to actually get it off your car and then putting it on...then piece of cake. just make sure you run the cali duster over the car before putting the cover on (takes like 2 minutes). the only thing that wil scratch your car is a dirty car with a car cover. when it rains or snows...well forget the cover until you can get the car clean again. ok more info than you wanted.

for brands....covercraft is a very reputable brand. go to autoanything.com and you can take a look at what is available or to covercraft's actual website to see the differences in the covers and the materials used. the weathershield material is top of the line (most $$$ and a bit overkill for most). the noah (which is what i have) so far on 6 months of usage, has been great. my first cover started to trap dust under the cover after the first 3 years...so the materials are a bit more porous than the noah cover. if it gets windy in your area i also recommend getting the gust guards to keep your cover in place. or you can just take the cover off on windy days. there are other brands like coverking which you will see on the autoanything website...

i'm always leary of ebay products. if its selling for cheap...hmmm. i value quality for a reasonable price over cheap, but that's just me. so....hope this all helps.
AcRightLINY (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
We have two car covers, one for our 1988 RX-7 convertible and one for Ms1995hoo's RSX Type-S. We do not have one for the TL because it's normally parked in the garage; for obvious reasons, having a cover for the convertible during the winter is the most important.

Ours came from Griot's Garage and they're extremely sturdy stuff. I got them based on my brother's recommendation after he'd ordered a Griot's cover for his 1974 Beetle. Off the top of my head I do not recall which material we got this time; I'm pretty sure it's not the NOAH because these two covers are a bit bulky. But they kept everything off the car this past winter. I got the reflective piping on the RX-7 cover because that car is almost always parked on the side of the street. It really shows up quite well at night.

Whatever you get, note that it's critical that you keep the car clean before putting the car on or off. As TLtrigirl notes, any dirt on the car at all will lead to scratches with the car cover.

Also, I tried the Griot's "car cover clamps" to help hold the cover in place on windy days. My brother has had great success with them on his Beetle, and they worked fine on the RX-7, but they proved difficult to use on the RSX because the car is just wide enough that I felt like I was trying to stretch the bunji cord too far. On at least three occasions the cord snapped back, and one time it hit me in the side of the foot (EXTREMELY PAINFUL!!!!). This experience leads me not to recommend the car cover clamps for a TL because the TL is wider than the RSX. Instead, I'd suggest going to a decent hardware store and getting some ordinary clamps that are covered with some sort of vinyl material (or, if you must, cover the ends with duct tape) and then using those to clamp the car cover to the fenders. The reason for doing all this is so that if you get a very windy day the cover won't get torn off the car or, even worse, twisted around the car (if you use a cable lock to secure it—and you should—the wind won't be able to pull the car cover completely off the car, but it can yank it around to one side, and that entails the risk of the padlock scratching the paint).

I suggest you not make the mistake of thinking that you'll put the car cover on and off the car every day if your TL is driven daily or even multiple times a week. It's simply too much hassle, especially when you factor in having to clean the paint before putting on the cover AND having to wait for the car to cool down before you do it (especially if it's already dark outside). You'll quickly get fed up with that nuisance and then you'll either stop using the cover daily or you'll stop cleaning the paint properly (very bad idea!). I don't drive the RX-7 every day and I've found that when the cover is on the car I'm less likely to drive it because of the nuisance of removing the cover, folding it, storing it, etc. (it doesn't fit too well in that car's tiny trunk). As a result I usually wind up with a dead battery every winter. I'm thinking of covering the car when we go on a two-week vacation later this year, but that's a different situation.
AcRightLINY (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I picked one up in Costco 3 years ago and it turned out great .. they had a special for $50 and we got 2 .. My son in law uses the other one on his Ferarri and neither have been issues. The material is firm but doesn't mar. Mind you both cars are kept well and not put up dirty.
AcRightLINY (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I bought the Acura one from the dealer. The 04-06 is not made anymore so i just bought the one for the 07-08, fits perfect, I wouldnt buy anything else, never fits right. I use mine all winter long in my garage, thats it.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
I also had a car cover from when I bought my car, it was around 120 for it. I only ended up covering the car the first 3 weeks of ownership. Then after that it just became a hassle because I didnt want to put it over a dirty car.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by lilsid112
I also had a car cover from when I bought my car, it was around 120 for it. I only ended up covering the car the first 3 weeks of ownership. Then after that it just became a hassle because I didnt want to put it over a dirty car.

I never bought one for the same reason... for the first few weeks i bet i would put it on, but after that it would be too much hassle.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I had one for my '05, it was from the Acura dealer and never left scratches. I recommend it.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm parking my car for the winter, and its going to be outside (I may drive it once a month or once every 2 months just to keep the fluids circulated and such). What is the consensus about leaving a car cover on a car that is outside in the winter?

Thank you
Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by FollowingNFront
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm parking my car for the winter, and its going to be outside (I may drive it once a month or once every 2 months just to keep the fluids circulated and such). What is the consensus about leaving a car cover on a car that is outside in the winter?

Thank you
That's exactly what my wife and I use the car covers for—protecting them in the winter because we only have a one-car garage and that's where the TL goes. The convertible RX-7, in particular, gets covered in December and is not uncovered very often all winter (although this year I intend at least to start the car more often, as I am sick of having a dead battery every March). My wife's RSX gets covered when there's heavy snow in the forecast.

You MUST wash the car very thoroughly and meticulously before you cover it if you don't want to risk minute scratches and swirl mark–type things. Any grit will damage the paint. Also, make sure the engine and the tailpipes are cool before you cover the car. This may mean waiting to cover it after you park it, so be prepared to do some spot detailing if needed.

As mentioned in my prior post, you'll want some sort of car cover clamping system to protect the cover from blowing away in the wind, and you'll also need a locking cable to guard against theft. As I noted before, the locking cable alone is not sufficient to protect against wind because a strong wind can pull the cover loose and twist it around the car, potentially dragging the padlock up the door and scratching the paint.

The bunji-cord style car cover clamps sold by several catalogs, including Griot's Garage, probably won't work well with the TL because, as I mentioned in my prior post, the bunji cords aren't long enough. Getting hit by the plastic end of a bunji cord HURTS big-time if the cord snaps back when you're trying to stretch it under the car, but more than that what frightens me about stretching them is the risk of getting nailed in the eye, the mouth, or the balls. "Frightens me" isn't a strong enough phrase. The risk of getting seriously hurt by a bunji cord violently snapping back scares the shit out of me when I'm stretching those things. Don't take chances. You can get metal clamps at a hardware store that have a rubber lining type thing over the ends and use those to secure the cover. But securing it is critical or it WILL get pulled off by the wind at some point.

Be prepared that you'll drive it less often than you expect simply because taking the cover off is a pain, especially in terms of not getting any dirt and grit on the inside of it so that you can put it back on the car. Note that any car cover big enough to cover a TL will be too big to wash in your laundry machine at home and you will have to go to a commercial laundromat with large-capacity machines in order to clean it.

Last edited by 1995hoo; 08-19-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
University of Tennessee

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you
I used my Wal-mart brand cover with no problems. I only drive mine on the weekends. I couldn't see spending a couple of hundred on the OEM one. I do park under a car port though.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
just a question for you guys with car covers.

are they water proof?

what i really hate most is when i clean my car and wipe the dust off it everyday (black car FTL), and than one day it decides to randomly sprinkle or even rain.

i contemplated about getting a car cover for this reason. so i was wondering if i put a car cover on my car before it rains, upon removing the cover after the storm will my car still be clean? or will it no doubt get wet?

trying to spend less than $100 for a waterproof car cover that will fit my 08 tl snugly
Old 08-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
That's exactly what my wife and I use the car covers for—protecting them in the winter because we only have a one-car garage and that's where the TL goes. The convertible RX-7, in particular, gets covered in December and is not uncovered very often all winter (although this year I intend at least to start the car more often, as I am sick of having a dead battery every March). My wife's RSX gets covered when there's heavy snow in the forecast.

You MUST wash the car very thoroughly and meticulously before you cover it if you don't want to risk minute scratches and swirl mark–type things. Any grit will damage the paint. Also, make sure the engine and the tailpipes are cool before you cover the car. This may mean waiting to cover it after you park it, so be prepared to do some spot detailing if needed.

As mentioned in my prior post, you'll want some sort of car cover clamping system to protect the cover from blowing away in the wind, and you'll also need a locking cable to guard against theft. As I noted before, the locking cable alone is not sufficient to protect against wind because a strong wind can pull the cover loose and twist it around the car, potentially dragging the padlock up the door and scratching the paint.

The bunji-cord style car cover clamps sold by several catalogs, including Griot's Garage, probably won't work well with the TL because, as I mentioned in my prior post, the bunji cords aren't long enough. Getting hit by the plastic end of a bunji cord HURTS big-time if the cord snaps back when you're trying to stretch it under the car, but more than that what frightens me about stretching them is the risk of getting nailed in the eye, the mouth, or the balls. "Frightens me" isn't a strong enough phrase. The risk of getting seriously hurt by a bunji cord violently snapping back scares the shit out of me when I'm stretching those things. Don't take chances. You can get metal clamps at a hardware store that have a rubber lining type thing over the ends and use those to secure the cover. But securing it is critical or it WILL get pulled off by the wind at some point.

Be prepared that you'll drive it less often than you expect simply because taking the cover off is a pain, especially in terms of not getting any dirt and grit on the inside of it so that you can put it back on the car. Note that any car cover big enough to cover a TL will be too big to wash in your laundry machine at home and you will have to go to a commercial laundromat with large-capacity machines in order to clean it.
Well I'm looking for one for my Accord (I don't have a TL).

One of the ones I was looking at said explicitly to NOT use in freezing temps because it will stick to the paint. Is that an issue with all or just some?

I really want a good one, so I was looking at the OEM one on this page: http://www.handa-accessories.com/accext06.html (The second one on this page is the one that mentioned freezing to paint.)

Recommend any real good custom ones (that won't stick to paint and such)?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

from my experience it does more harm then good

micro marring from dust etc scratching the paint
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
My son in law uses the other one on his Ferarri

Your son in law has a Ferarri? Sweet!!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

One of the ones I was looking at said explicitly to NOT use in freezing temps because it will stick to the paint. Is that an issue with all or just some?

I really want a good one, so I was looking at the OEM one on this page: http://www.handa-accessories.com/accext06.html (The second one on this page is the one that mentioned freezing to paint.)

try covercraft. i've used two different covered from them. the first one a universal type fit for outdoor use (i forget the material). after 4 yrs it wore. then i bought a custom fit NOAH cover from covercraft to accomodate the roof rack on my car. so far so good, its been almost a year and still protects the car really well even in a heavy rain storm (doesn't leave marks). when it snows though i just let the car get buried without the cover. i've seen people in my neighborhood leave their covers on during the snow. usually these are on cars that do not get drvien much anyway. i drive my TL and use the cover daily b/c of my parking situation (lots of trees, no garage...).

as someone else mentioned, make sure the car is clean. since you are storing it, do a wash and full wax at a minimum. 1995hoo mentioned the use of the gust guards...i have a set for my cover when it gets windy. they work well. covercraft has those too (not the bungie type ones) or you can make your own.

i believe my brother has NOAH covers for his EVO and WRX STi (custom fit), mind you these two are not daily driven. so don't go cheap, remember you pay for what you get.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 AM
The One

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
As I daily drive my TL. The car cover was just to much of a hassle. Once it got wet it was more of a pain in the azz.

IMO- if you are storing the car for a period of time, great to have. For everyday use, a pain. Go OEM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by oneonlywgs
As I daily drive my TL. The car cover was just to much of a hassle. Once it got wet it was more of a pain in the azz.

IMO- if you are storing the car for a period of time, great to have. For everyday use, a pain. Go OEM.
^^agree a wet car cover is a b&%$* to hassle with. however i always weather watch b/c of the need to go outside to play. before the 2nd car, i anticipated for the weather, if it was planning on raining at night or overnight, no cover. now with the MDX, i can just drive the X in and leave the TL under the cover to dry out.

when its wet, that bugger gets freakin heavy.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
try covercraft. i've used two different covered from them. the first one a universal type fit for outdoor use (i forget the material). after 4 yrs it wore. then i bought a custom fit NOAH cover from covercraft to accomodate the roof rack on my car. so far so good, its been almost a year and still protects the car really well even in a heavy rain storm (doesn't leave marks). when it snows though i just let the car get buried without the cover. i've seen people in my neighborhood leave their covers on during the snow. usually these are on cars that do not get drvien much anyway. i drive my TL and use the cover daily b/c of my parking situation (lots of trees, no garage...).

as someone else mentioned, make sure the car is clean. since you are storing it, do a wash and full wax at a minimum. 1995hoo mentioned the use of the gust guards...i have a set for my cover when it gets windy. they work well. covercraft has those too (not the bungie type ones) or you can make your own.

i believe my brother has NOAH covers for his EVO and WRX STi (custom fit), mind you these two are not daily driven. so don't go cheap, remember you pay for what you get.
Well I did some research last night and found a few based on this chart (I listed them from cheapest to most expensive): http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/cover-chart.jpg

Block-It 400: http://www.autogeek.net/evolution4.html

NOAH: http://www.autogeek.net/noah.html

Weathertech HD: http://www.autogeek.net/weathd.html

Ultratect: http://www.autogeek.net/covercraft-u...car-cover.html

Ironically enough, the Block-It 400 is the only one out of those 4 (the best on the list) that mentiones long term outdoor winter storage. It particularly mentions snow and it is supposed to be one of, if not the thickest and is supposed to help with impacts as well.

Now the others seem good, and I particularly like the Weathertech HD also... But it says its best use is in the sun and rain..... Then it goes to say it is ALL season, which I don't understand. It mentions Florida and sun, but it doesn't mention rain.... None of the bottom 3 do. Am I just misinterpreting here, or would the Block-It 400 (the cheapest one out of these 4) be my best bet for my particular situation?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear

I've had good luck with California Car Covers, calcarcover.com but they are a little expensive. They custom fit the car cover to your exact car which, works out well if you're leaving the car out in the weather ie; airport surface lot. Cheaper covers will sometimes blow off in a stiff breeze or windy conditions. They also have a cable lock system that will prevent someone from stealing the cover (yes, this happens!) as I learned the hard way.

They have different types of materials and can advise you what to get depending on storage habits (garaged? outdoor? sun protection/rain protection?)

If you just want to keep the dust off the car in a garage you may want to just get a cheaper, generic cover and save the money.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
car coversss are awsomeeeee
Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Well I did some research last night and found a few based on this chart (I listed them from cheapest to most expensive): http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/cover-chart.jpg

Block-It 400: http://www.autogeek.net/evolution4.html

NOAH: http://www.autogeek.net/noah.html

Weathertech HD: http://www.autogeek.net/weathd.html

Ultratect: http://www.autogeek.net/covercraft-u...car-cover.html

Ironically enough, the Block-It 400 is the only one out of those 4 (the best on the list) that mentiones long term outdoor winter storage. It particularly mentions snow and it is supposed to be one of, if not the thickest and is supposed to help with impacts as well.

Now the others seem good, and I particularly like the Weathertech HD also... But it says its best use is in the sun and rain..... Then it goes to say it is ALL season, which I don't understand. It mentions Florida and sun, but it doesn't mention rain.... None of the bottom 3 do. Am I just misinterpreting here, or would the Block-It 400 (the cheapest one out of these 4) be my best bet for my particular situation?
talk to one of the autoanything.com guys. they helped me pick the NOAH cover. drop them an email and ask away. they are usually pretty responsive.

tell them your needs for the use of the cover and then ask what all the differences are.

it came down to the NOAH and the weathertech cover for me. the guy i emailed with pretty much said that for my uses the weather tech is overkill and insanely expensive for most uses. go directly to the covercraft site and get a better idea of what might be best for your situation. hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:43 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

have you seen this:

http://covercraft.com/App%20Guides/F...de%2011-09.pdf

here is a guide^^
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
have you seen this:

http://covercraft.com/App%20Guides/F...de%2011-09.pdf

here is a guide^^
Hey thanks a lot for that guide I haven't seen it before.... On page 2 of that guide... The row where it says: "NOAH
Block-It"

one on top of another like that.... I can't tell which one it is supposed to be. If it is NOAH, then it seems it would be a good one based on the snow performance alone.... But I can't tell if its the NOAH or the Block-It... I will send them an email like you said.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I puchased this car cover when I went to Carlisle about 5 years back and it's still holding up very well.

http://www.coveritecarcovers.com/
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I got a car cover for my GTO from summit. I was fit for the car and came with a cable lock that you run thru the bottom for around a 100 shipped if I remember correctly. Im sure the make them for all makes and models. Only thing is if you care about your paint DO NOT put the cover on unless the car is clean or else you will just grind dirt into your paint and scratch it up.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
I'd definitely go with the Acura cover. Material is thick, keeps out the moisture and it holds up pretty well. I used to cover my car when it would sit outside for months at a time but now the cover is just sitting in my garage.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; I wasn't online this weekend. I have never had a problem with a cover sticking to the paint, either during the winter or at other times, and indeed the winter and sub-freezing temperatures are one of the main times I use the cover on the convertible, especially if snow is in the forecast so that I can protect the convertible top. I've had the cover on there with over 24 inches of snow and it was fine.

The ones my wife and I currently have are from Griot's. I had to look up my order history on their website to confirm which one we got. Contrary to what I thought in my first post in this thread, it turns out they're NOAH covers. They're almost like a soft grey blanket for the car. My prior cover, also from Griot's, was a different lighter-weight fabric. It eventually tore after several years and the NOAH turned out to be a bit less expensive.