Sponsored by:

Anyone transplant a RL Driveline in TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHWAD electrics would be complex

Originally Posted by psheu
I agree w/ you... I always wonder if anyone have installed the Honda Accord Hybrid system into our 3rd Gen TL... If that's possible, we'll have more power and save more gas all at the same time....
This made me think of something....it seems that it is probably not too difficult to transplant the mechanical parts for SHAWD but it is more likely difficult to get the electronic parts working with the TL...unless we also shove in the RL ECU.

Anyone with electrics knowledge have some input on this?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:34 AM
Instructor

MDX Drive shaft might work!

Originally Posted by Converted
The wheelbase on the RL is 110.2"

The wheelbase on the TL-S is 107.9"

That means right away, there's already going to be a custom driveshaft needed... who knows what else will need to be changed out, extended, cut, etc.

Sounds possible, but would take some mechanical knowledge, machine shop work, and some free time!
I was flipping through the 2007 TLS and MDX brochures and i discovered that the wheelbases of the two cars are very similar!!

TLS = 107.9" (2740 mm)
MDX = 108.3" (2751 mm)

The MDX is less than 1/2" longer then the TL so mabey the MDX driveshaft would be close enough to be a replacement for the RL?

Therefore, put in RL Driveline and replace the driveshaft with the MDX driveshaft!

What do you guys think???
Old 06-12-2007, 07:26 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Converted
Honda/Acura build their cars well...

They build FWD cars well... The TL-S is a perfect example. The car screams, kills many RWD competitors on the track, and has VERY impressive skidpad numbers.

AWD is NOT everything, and I'm not sure I would like it as much if it had AWD. More weight, more robbed horsepower, and worse gas mileage. All for what, a better launch? I for one enjoy still getting 30+MPG in a near 300hp car...

The lack of low end torque, but improved top end with a Vtec engine REALLY suites a FWD set-up. With AWD, you wouldn't have that much benifit, unless you're in the rain of couse, or going WOT around corners.

Unless the car gets an additional 50hp as well, AWD will be completely useless. I hope they don't do that...
Spoken like a guy who just bought a TL-S...
Agree about the skidpad numbers and the FWD/RWD competition though, but there is a few flaws in your arguement.

AWD is not just a better a launch, especially the SH-AWD platforrm which diverts power to the wheel that needs it. SH-AWD will annihilate the FWD in the twisites. No torque steer, excellent cornering, and "a better launch".

The RL weight all of 330 lbs MORE than the TL-S... that 15 extra HP the RL has make up for that. Both are very big, heavy cars. If you're worried about weight, you should avoid the "luxury" sport line.

and when the hell have you gotten 30+ mpg in a TL-S. My 2006 is almost all highway, 6MT, and has yet to break 29 mpg.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by vetalik
I busted out laughing when i read that at work my co-worker was like wtf ^^^
I want the flux capacitor!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Back in a TL again.

lol ^^^^^^^^^^^