Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret not getting Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cpm06wdptl
I agree with you on a few points but I don't see what is so "upgraded" on the TLS interior. Stitching on the door panels is a little different and the 2 tone seats, IMO, are terrible. I like solid colors. I think it would have been better with a darker color on the inner seat. As far as the bigger brakes go the 6MT base has the same Brembos as a TLS. I think it would be a lot cheaper to buy a base 6MT with navi. I just can't fathom spending $6K more for tail lights, exhaust, and head rests.
It's a matter of opinion. You think the two tone looks terrible? Really? I think it looks nice. And you are missing quite a few things in your Type S features...

headlights
tailights
fog lights
front bumper
grill
sidemarkers
type s logo on steering wheel
type s logo on headrest
type s suspension
stitching
3.5L
286hp
wheels (matter of opinion)
rear bumper
quad exhast
red interior lights (matter of opinion)
Navi is standard
Rear deck lid
turning signal on side mirror
rear camera
kinectic blue pearl (color option)

I'm sure you can save the money and mod it like a Type S but at the end it's not a Type S.
The following users liked this post:
SharksBreath (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
most type S TLs are automatic
Yes i know but I think it's better to get type-s with manual. Maybe i'll learn and buy one
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
It's a matter of opinion. You think the two tone looks terrible? Really? I think it looks nice. And you are missing quite a few things in your Type S features...

headlights
tailights
fog lights
front bumper
grill
sidemarkers
type s logo on headrest
type s suspension
stitching
3.5L
286hp
rear bumper
quad exhast
Navi is standard
Rear deck lid
rear camera

I'm sure you can save the money and mod it like a Type S but at the end it's not a Type S.
Don't forget the Type-S badge.

Oh, and the foglights and turn signal on the side mirrors are on all 07-08 models, so not really a type-s specific feature. I guess if you have a base 07-08, you're a couple of things closer to a Type-S than a 04-06. =)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
6MT is the only reason to get the Type-S now.
If they are priced out of your budget then go with an 04-06 6MT.

The 04-06 Body looks a bit more cleaner than the 07-08's but everyone has their own opinion.

With 3.5L you will also get a little bit more out of your mods so keep that in mind.

Last edited by TmaX; 01-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
My brother passed down his '07 Type-S to me and I completely love it. I believe I would feel like I'm missing something if it weren't an S - just saying...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I had a '02 TL-S and didn't even consider the 3G TL until the TL-S came out. I saw pictures if the 4G and didn't like it so I went out and bought on of the last TL-S in my area. Get the Type S if the budget allows.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ NO
the reason i didnt get a type S is this is my first car....paid 24K for it back in 07....cudnt afford 37-40K....just had graduated college.....plus i dont like red light in the interior
$37K-$40K WTF??? Where were you shopping??? We got ours brand new and fully loaded (navigation I think was the only option). We paid $30,200 with $1.9 financing. No money down and we did not make a payment for 2 months. We also custom picked our color combo so they had to get the car trucked in from out of state. The car was not collecting dust on their lot.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys....
You all need to dial it down a notch.
Thank you. Not sure why folks are giving the guy a hard time. The title of his post was not misleading. Just don't click on the post if you have nothing to contribute or you are just going to bash the guy. Very immature. It also looks like the couple guys dishing it out the most have Type S envy.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-24-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

headlights
tailights
fog lights
front bumper
grill
sidemarkers
type s logo on headrest
type s suspension
stitching
3.5L
286hp
rear bumper
quad exhast
Navi is standard
Rear deck lid
rear camera

MAN!!! I missed a ton of things. I guess I didn't realize there were that many differences. Honestly though KBP is the only difference that really matters to me. I love that color Thanks for taking the time to make a list.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Navi is standard
I believe Nav might have been an option on my 2008 Type S. That and the summer tire package were the only 2 choices. One way for Acura to keep costs down, control inventory and maximize production efficiencies.

You also get the great Brembo front brakes!

Last edited by GoRavens; 01-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ you got hustled....

NAVI is standard on all Type S....just like the rims
Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

^^^ you got hustled....

NAVI is standard on all Type S....just like the rims
hustled?? Check post #88 Maybe my sales guy had it wrong or I just had it wrong.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 PM

^^^ yeah the sales guy prolly had it wrong....

and you got a brand new type S for 30K ?

when i went to the dealer in May 2007, they had the 07 type S for 38K and 07Base for 32K and fully loaded base for like 35K something (if my memory serves me right)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

^^^ yeah the sales guy prolly had it wrong....

and you got a brand new type S for 30K ?

when i went to the dealer in May 2007, they had the 07 type S for 38K and 07Base for 32K and fully loaded base for like 35K something (if my memory serves me right)
We bought it weeks before the new 4G were released. Dealers were afraid they would be stuck with the old gen so there were awesome deals to be found. The particular dealer had a waiting list for the 4G when we bought the 2008 3G. Too bad the folks were not able to see how ugly they were in person compared to the previous gen.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 PM

^^^ WOW that is a great deal....

on a side note i dont believe you LOL....i just have never seen a car price drop down 10K (25%) just coz a new model is coming....till date people pay ~25K for a Type S (08) with 20-30K miles on it....that means a 4 year old model with miles on it is only 5K cheaper than what you got it ?

in no way am pulling the BS flag out, you might have gotten the deal, just that i dont believe it....

EDIT: to state my theory, couple examples
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by swoosh; 01-24-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by cpm06wdptl
I agree with you on a few points but I don't see what is so "upgraded" on the TLS interior. Stitching on the door panels is a little different and the 2 tone seats, IMO, are terrible. I like solid colors. I think it would have been better with a darker color on the inner seat. As far as the bigger brakes go the 6MT base has the same Brembos as a TLS. I think it would be a lot cheaper to buy a base 6MT with navi. I just can't fathom spending $6K more for tail lights, exhaust, and head rests.
Ok well then I guess you couldnt fathom on buying a BMW M3 or M5, or a Corvette Z06, or a G37s, or a Lexus IS-F, or a SRT8 etc etc..... My point is, you do realize that any performance model has exactly the same things done to them that Acura did to the Type S to make it the performance version right? I guess if your not into the high end model theres nothing wrong with that, but to say your paying 6K for headrests, tail lights, and exhaust is just ridiculous because there is soooooo much more to a Type S that that, not to mention all the nice changes they made starting in the 07 model year.
Actually, when you really look at it, the TL-S has very little in common with its base versions. The ONLY parts on the exterior that are similar to the base model is the sheet metal itself. Lets see, the front bumper, headlights, brakes, wheels, engine, exhaust, side skirts, interior, spoiler, tail lights, rear bumper, suspension. Riiiiiigghhttt, 6K for headrests

Now I know the Type S and base model are not far apart performance wise where as say for example a Z06 corvette would walk all over a base Corvette in every category. Im simply just trying to make a point that some biased base model owners on this forum dont give enough credit where credit is due. The Type S is a real nice package I think and it all comes down to money. If all things are equal then yes the Type S will be a bit more expensive, but to me its worth it. If money is the issue, but you still want the best car you could get, then the base model TL is still an excellent car. You cant go wrong either way!

James
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Ok well then I guess you couldnt fathom on buying a BMW M3 or M5, or a Corvette Z06, or a G37s, or a Lexus IS-F, or a SRT8 etc etc..... My point is, you do realize that any performance model has exactly the same things done to them that Acura did to the Type S to make it the performance version right? I guess if your not into the high end model theres nothing wrong with that, but to say your paying 6K for headrests, tail lights, and exhaust is just ridiculous because there is soooooo much more to a Type S that that, not to mention all the nice changes they made starting in the 07 model year.
Actually, when you really look at it, the TL-S has very little in common with its base versions. The ONLY parts on the exterior that are similar to the base model is the sheet metal itself. Lets see, the front bumper, headlights, brakes, wheels, engine, exhaust, side skirts, interior, spoiler, tail lights, rear bumper, suspension. Riiiiiigghhttt, 6K for headrests

Now I know the Type S and base model are not far apart performance wise where as say for example a Z06 corvette would walk all over a base Corvette in every category. Im simply just trying to make a point that some biased base model owners on this forum dont give enough credit where credit is due. The Type S is a real nice package I think and it all comes down to money. If all things are equal then yes the Type S will be a bit more expensive, but to me its worth it. If money is the issue, but you still want the best car you could get, then the base model TL is still an excellent car. You cant go wrong either way!

James
I'm not arguing that the type s isn't a nice car. It is and I think they are great looking cars but it's mostly cosmetic differences. You cant compare it to the SRT8, M3, M5 or Corvette Z06. Those cars compared to their base model counterparts are wayyyyy better performance wise. You can't compare a base model Challenger with 305 HP to a SRT8 with 470 HP. Same with the others. It's just not realistic to compare them to the base model versions. I was exaggerating a little when I said it was just tail lights, exhaust etc. I'm not trying to discredit the Type S. It's a great car. I'm just happy with my base
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I regret that I didn't search for a type-s mostly because I wanted a manual...that is the only way to get one in a 2008 TL...sadly

BUT...I still LOVE my car, I think that it looks just as good as a type-s
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by P1zzaman
Yes i know but I think it's better to get type-s with manual. Maybe i'll learn and buy one
im sure u can learn and be comfortable driving manual in a day...if you enjoy driving, which im sure you do since you are on this forum, then i am sure you will LOVE driving a manual car. its SO much more fun. Sometimes i dream of driving my TL and its manual, especially after driving stick in real life, then i wake up sad
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I'm pretty sure Justn regrets getting a Type-S.. something about being associated with a group of guys who like to masturbate in ring.. idk, sounds wheirdh to me.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Yes I did. My first TL I bought new was a ASM 2006 TL NAV Auto that I bought in Aug 2006. One month later I saw the NEW 07 TL Type-S coming out. I WAS ANGRY. So 3 months later I took a BIG HIT and tradded it in for the NEW 07 Type-S and LOVED IT MUCH MORE !!!!. Then I bought a new 07 Civic Si because I thought I was going to loose my job and lowered all my payments. The salesmen at Honda thought I was NUTS. ??? Why are you doing this Jeff ??? I said its for personal reasons. About a year later, my job seemed much more secure. So in Dec 2008 I tradded in my 07 NBP Civic Si sedan in for a Certified WDP TL NAV 6-speed manual with 26,000 miles for $26,000. I spend $10,000 in mods on it and LOVED IT. But I missed the Type-S. Then like a fool I tradded that car in for a new LOADED 2010 Camaro LS3 SS/RS. I got rid of the Camaro for personal reasons. BUT I NOW KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANT NOW. An 07-08 WDP TL auto of manual with ebony/grey 2 tone leather. In July 2012 I will have enough $$$ to pay cash for one. HALLELUJAH

I highly suggest waiting and saving for a Type-S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I bought my TL in August 2004 and there was no TL Type-S at the time (just an RSX Type-S, as far as I know, and I never considered buying an RSX, though now my wife has an '03 RSX Type-S). So no, I have no regrets at all, and the thought of trading it in (and restarting car payments) never once crossed my mind when the Type-S arrived on the market. I'm still quite happy with my 6MT, especially on long drives.

Last edited by 1995hoo; 01-26-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Yes I did. My first TL I bought new was a ASM 2006 TL NAV Auto that I bought in Aug 2006. One month later I saw the NEW 07 TL Type-S coming out. I WAS ANGRY. So 3 months later I took a BIG HIT and tradded it in for the NEW 07 Type-S and LOVED IT MUCH MORE !!!!. Then I bought a new 07 Civic Si because I thought I was going to loose my job and lowered all my payments. The salesmen at Honda thought I was NUTS. ??? Why are you doing this Jeff ??? I said its for personal reasons. About a year later, my job seemed much more secure. So in Dec 2008 I tradded in my 07 NBP Civic Si sedan in for a Certified WDP TL NAV 6-speed manual with 26,000 miles for $26,000. I spend $10,000 in mods on it and LOVED IT. But I missed the Type-S. Then like a fool I tradded that car in for a new LOADED 2010 Camaro LS3 SS/RS. I got rid of the Camaro for personal reasons. BUT I NOW KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANT NOW. An 07-08 WDP TL auto of manual with ebony/grey 2 tone leather. In July 2012 I will have enough $$$ to pay cash for one. HALLELUJAH

I highly suggest waiting and saving for a Type-S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
damn i thot i rant too much....i bet ur friends hate running into you while shopping
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
no regrets =) I am very content with what my car has to offer completely and I am no way taking my car to such limits that i'd want "that much more" from the tl-s although this whole thread is biased and it really is subjective. Weigh your entire options and buy accordingly to your needs and budget, atleast with me anyways, I have never had a point where I regretted a choice on vehicle or component for it so far
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So It looks like I'm gonna go pick up a NBP type s next week. Only thing is I really want a WDP. Anyone regret not getting the color they originally wanted? lol
Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by callahan
For the price difference I dont regret it at all, I love my cheap base 6sp.
You sir, have a clean ass NBP TL seems like it's well maintained!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by wall e
I have owned both and I dont realli notice a difference in terms of speed, but then again i drive auto. If you have a base keep it. I think the only reason to get a Type S is if you love Kinetic Blue Pearl bc that color is exclusive to the type S model.
5.5 years of ownership with no regrets on not getting a Type-S. I waited for the announcement, saw there was no AWD and decided on an 2006 and haven't looked back. I would have got the Type-S if it had the SH-AWD though, but that took another two years and body style change. I do kind of regret not getting the Ebony interior, but such is life.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll drop my as a TL noob. I recently bought an 08 base with navi. However before that decision, I test drove an 08 type-s. In the end it came down to comfort for me. After driving a WRX for 8 yrs and 150K miles ride comfort was the most important feature to me. To me the base was just more comfortable and gave a smoother ride. So that's what sold me. Interior was pretty much the same between the two so that wasn't a major factor. Besides NOVA/DC/MD Traffic wont have me using paddle shifting very often. I will say I'm partial to the type s smoked rear side markers and trunk lip, but other than that for me the base with navi stacked up more.... just my
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
If the S was available in 2005 when I bought my car I would have undoubtedly ponied up the extra 2-3k grand to buy it. My car stickered at a little over 35k. However, I'm not going to run into the dealership to trade it in for one. Not worth it IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
alexSU (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by ggesq
If the S was available in 2005 when I bought my car I would have undoubtedly ponied up the extra 2-3k grand to buy it. My car stickered at a little over 35k. However, I'm not going to run into the dealership to trade it in for one. Not worth it IMHO.
Exactly. If you didn't buy a type-s from the beginning there is no point in trading a base in for one. I enjoyed my base very much, I knew I would because the most important thing for me was the 6mt transmission

Good luck OP!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Machine
I don't regret getting an 08 base auto trans model over a Type-S. Sure a little more power would have been nice, but I came from a well over 300 hp to the wheels WRX that rode on rails, so I didn't care to have another rocket ship MT car. This car has enough pickup for me, it rides very smooth and it's comfortable for my daily commute to work. I could afford a Type-S, but I found a great deal on an 08 base so I didn't feel the need to spend more than I had to. As far as navigation, I have an external GPS that I use and like so I asked myself do I really need one built into the car? A friend of mine that has the built in navigation said it always seems like it takes him the long way and that there always seems to be a faster way to get to the destination.
These were my thoughts when I selected mine in '08. I wanted fastest to PIF and best gas mileage since the economy was headed south.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by mnbvcxz358
I'm in the market for a TL. I really want a type s but it looks like I may have to settle for a non type s. Any one go through the same thing and wished you would've gotten a type s?
I dont regret it. Both TL's offer the same luxuries while the non-type-S still has a responsive ride, it's a more forgiving ride when/if you live in parts of the country where the roads could be harsh. Power delivery in the base is VERY good. The only difference one will see in regular day2day driving from the Type-S would be some added low-end. Most people (me not included) don't floor their cars to redline in every gear to feel the added top-end from the 3.5L. No matter what the TL is one of the best cars in its class. Even against todays luxury models i still feel that it puts up a good fight against them. Either you want 0-60 in 6.3sec (Type-S Auto) or 6.8sec (base auto).
Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604
I'm an old man. I love the soft suspension of my 08. I commute everyday and absolutely love the feeling of floating on clouds while cruising. So no way would I ever regret this and opt for the firmness of the typeS suspension.
You do know the Non Type-S front springs are only 8% softer than the type-S right? Both cars to me ride nice and solidly firm. It's def not a "cloud" ride. Honda's Accord isn't even soft riding...lol. You described the TL as if it rides like a Toyota Avalon which def isn't the case...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:28 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Now that I'm a TL-S owner, the only thing I had regretted not getting when I had gotten my '05 was the navi. I didn't realize how much more features it had with it besides giving you directions. Other than that, I can't comment on the handling as my S is still stock while my '05 was modded.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For the longest time I considered '04-06 6MT or '07-08 TL-S 6MT. After looking at how ridiculous the non-navi dash was (I don't care about navigation), I couldnt get over that one aspect of the car. Not to mention I really like foglights not built into headlamp housing.

When it came down to it, I test drove an '08 TL-S 6MT that magically appeared while at the dealership still warm on lease turn in; I put money down and bought it before the dealer had even checked it in.

My opinion, glad I waded through 2 years of SEDAN deliberation (330i ZHP, G35S 6MT, Accord 6MT, Grand Cherokee SRT-8???, E39 M5, Base TL 6MT, TL-S 6MT, etc, etc...) for my TL-S. Love it and it's year round capable for MN winters.

EDIT: Hahaha... The TL-S has many nice differences compared to all other 3G TLs. It wasn't just a 6MT thing!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I test drove a 08 Type-s, and love the features more than the quickness and firm ride vs a base TL. A few months later I purchased an 08 TL /w Navi. Saved about $5k with no regrets.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatfrii
damn i thot i rant too much....i bet ur friends hate running into you while shopping
WOW. I will pray for you
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Now that I'm a TL-S owner, the only thing I had regretted not getting when I had gotten my '05 was the navi. I didn't realize how much more features it had with it besides giving you directions. Other than that, I can't comment on the handling as my S is still stock while my '05 was modded.
Didn't realize you have a Type-S now, cool What happened to your 05?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 AM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i would love to get a type s...but at the time, the deal i got for my TL with the nav package was very, very good. could not pass it up, and i still find the car to be overall pretty spirited to drive when i want to, while still be being conservative if i desire that
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
Didn't realize you have a Type-S now, cool What happened to your 05?
I had totaled it while having a temporary lapse in judgement last year. I need to do the GM SMFM change soon since shifting into 2nd and 3rd are notchy at times.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret not getting Type S?