Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret buying 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fell in love with the TL when I saw it in the showroom. IMO, there is nothing out there that can compare for the same amount of money. I'm not a fan of FWD at all however, and the only thing making me even consider this car is the LSD that comes with the manual transmission, along with the fact that it will be my wife's car. I finally test drove it the other day and was disappointed with three things.

1) clutch is too light
2) steering seems light and vague
3) torque steer

#3 seems disconcerting at times and I've heard that the automatics without LSD don't have any torque steer (although I didn't test drive an auto). Has anyone bought a manual TL only to regret it after living with it for a while?
Old 06-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

i have 6MT and do not regret it one bit. its one of the nicest options that acura offers for this car. it was weird when they came out with the 2ng gens and did not offer a manual tranny. with a 270hp car you would want to offer it in a manual mode for a greater sports feel. the clutch takes a little getting use to depending on your experience with manuals. i picked it up right away and don't really have a problem with it. i dun think steering being light has anything to do with it being a manual tranny. just the way acura designed it so that it takes a less effort to steer. again depends on where you come from. if you are use to driving a sports car then the steering will be very different to you. for normal driving i rarely encounter torque steer but under heavy accleration through a corner you will feel a little. the lsd helps to cancel it out a bit but nonetheless its the nature of fwd cars. some have said that what you are feeling is actually the lsd not torque steer. if this bothers you that much i think you should consider the 5AT as less people have reported the torque steer problem, or a rwd car if snow is not an issue for you.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:52 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Noway PbPedis. Contrary, I've seen a lot of posts on this forum regreting that they did not buy a 6MT. Also what seems a torque steer is not actually a torque steer as I read on TOV. However, that is not you cannot control. I'm sure you can control it after driving for 30 mins.

I do not know what you meant by "clutch is too tight" I do not have any problems with the clutch. Try driving another 6MT.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I regret not getting a stick like jogan mentioned... however, for me the automatic was a necessity for the type of driving i do.. I dream about a manual every day however, and I know deep down that if I got the manual, i would have loved it regardless of the occasional annoyances of stick shift driving in heavy traffic, etc.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Here is what I noticed during my test drive. The was a small patch in the road that was repaved but lower than the rest of the road. I was fairly hard on the accelerator as I hit this patch and the steering wheel jerked to the left. I'm not used to this kind of behaviour as I've had AWD and RWD cars most of my life (or underpowered FWD cars in the days when I drove my parents' cars).

I agree that the light steering is not a factor of it being manual transmission, but I thought I'd mention it as I didn't like the steering feel. Keep in mind that I drive a Corvette Z06 so the clutch and steering are obviously heavier. My wife currently has an Audi A4 which IMO has a much better feel to the clutch and steering. I just can't get over the fact that you seem to get so much for so little money in the TL. Despite the above 3 issues I have with the car, I think I'd regret it if I bought something else. I just hope I can live with the torque steer. Although it will be my wife's car, I'll still be driving it quite a bit.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clutch on the TL is one of the best.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
The clutch on the TL is one of the best.
i have to agree the clutch is one of the best i have driven and the stick is super smooth. i drive audi's and bmw's tranny before and thought they were superb. i have not gotten a chance to drive too many honda manuals but after this one i have to say that it is one of the best i have driven.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:38 PM
I6

The clutch in the S40 and MB C class feels really weird. I don't like it.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Racer

That clutch may have felt tight because the car you test drove hasn't been broken in yet. Also, I do not regret get a 6MT. I just picked mine up yesterday and love it. I just need to remember the car is a stick not auto. Also, what torque steer is everyone feeling. I have not felt this yet however, car is still being broken in, so I'm taking it a little easy on her. The few times I punched it I did not feel any at all.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Racer

>Anyone regret buying 6MT?

No.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Banned

Yep, I regret every time I lift offf the cluctch and get a little burn in third
Old 06-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Banned

Yep, I regret every time I lift off the clutch and get a little burn in third, :P while smoking a bimmer or some RX8 :fingerfawk: . I also hate when I'm in a sweeping curve ,punch the accelerator and it hangs tighter and faster :'( . What I regret most of all Is when I hit the brakes time and time again and the car keeps stopping on a dime, yep what a POS!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No regrets...

My 6MT is great and I'd do it again.

Torque steer complaints are overblown IMHO.

But I'm somewhat in agreement with you on the clutch. It isn't so much that it's light as it lacks feel. That's a trait of most hydraulic clutches compared to cable operated ones. The clutch action is smooth and positive enough, but it's nearly impossible to feel the point where the clutch begins to engage. It takes time to learn how to let it out cleanly.
If a person has only driven vehicles with hydraulic clutches, they won't understand the difference in feel with a cable actuated one.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Here is what I noticed during my test drive. The was a small patch in the road that was repaved but lower than the rest of the road. I was fairly hard on the accelerator as I hit this patch and the steering wheel jerked to the left.

I just hope I can live with the torque steer.
PbPedis, I have the 6MT and do not regret getting it at all.

There have been several threads regarding the "torque steer" issue. I came from an 88 911 which has a much worse trait (swapping ends!!) when hitting the accelerator. I quickly learned with the 911, you can't always apply full power in any situation. I have found three conditions where "torque steer" can be a problem in the TL. You mentioned the first - uneven road surface and lots of power. I am not sure but I think the torque is generated when one tire is gripping more on the outside edge or inside edge due to the uneven surface. The other two situations where "moderated" power application is prudent are full power in a hard turn in gear 1 or 2, and on surfaces that have uneven traction (icy, sand etc.) The 270 ponies are wonderful for merging, passing and and most spirited driving, but I now know when and where I can use them all.
Overall this car is an excellent handling and driving car that offers the best of a luxury car and most of the fun of a sports cars at an incredible price. It takes more than a test drive to learn the clutch and when to moderate power, but once learned it is awesome.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Instructor

At first I thought the clutch take up was strange on the Acura, I was coming from a 2002 A4 quattro, no I appreciate it as one of the easiest MT cars to drive in traffic. As far as torque steer, my opinion is that is a bunch of hooey. On flat smooth pavement you can romp the gas and car will to pull to the left or the right, a la old turbo charged k-cars. If you are on uneven pavement, yes it will pull a bit, but even a rwd car's steering wheel will move on uneven pavement. The real benefit comes when you are pounding on the car, the LSD just hooks up th front wheels and gives the car an uncanny accuracy in the steering, try it one day, you'll be amazed.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:08 AM
BOOK EM

I agree 100% with KOSH2258. The clutch has no point of engagement feel to it. In fact, I feel like the clutch actually engages when the pedal is past the point where it should`ve. Kind of like, over the hump motion. Just try pushing in and out of the clutch in neutral a few times and you`ll know what I mean.

Do I feel I`m sorry for getting the 6spd? NO WAY!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Team WD Vice-President

Do I regret getting the 6MT. NOPE. I love the car. I came from an 03 A4 Quattro, I felt that the clutch was way too light in the Audi. A feather could have pushed the clutch in on my Audi. I agree with what some of the other posters have said about the clutch being broken in and getting used to it. Now that my TL has over 1000 miles on it, it is probably one of the best MT setups that I've had.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Pedis, I had a 2001 5MT Audi A4 (like your wife's car). The German MTs have the best, most forgiving clutch of anyone. Very smooth takeup. The TL's 6MT is much more abrupt, but you will get used to it. I enjoy my 6MT immensely. Like you said, you get ALOT for the money.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Yep, I regret every time I lift off the clutch and get a little burn in third, :P while smoking a bimmer or some RX8 :fingerfawk: . I also hate when I'm in a sweeping curve ,punch the accelerator and it hangs tighter and faster :'( . What I regret most of all Is when I hit the brakes time and time again and the car keeps stopping on a dime, yep what a POS!
I couldn't have said it better!!!

I have one of the first 6spds off the line... The clutch is great, I have more problems with crappy roads out here than torque steer and I can only smile when I hit the gas. The Tl is considered to have the second best production tranny on the market today, first place goes to the S2000.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Racer

The 6 MT is great. The clutch is nicer than the '99 Civic Si I came from, and the Civic was fine. The steering firms up slightly in a week or two as the tires wear off the silcone mold release and the little mold nubs.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Racer

I know what exactly what you're talking about while accelerating over an uneven surface and feeling the wheel want to jerk one way or the other when the LSD kicks in. It's even more pronounced while accelerating through a turn and catching some uneven pavement, and it can also happen on icy or snowy roads. It's a bit of an adrenaline rush, but you learn to understand it, when to expect it, you make the quick compensation, it's over and done and you drive on.

Acknowledging all that, I absolutely would not trade my car for a 5AT (not that there's anything wrong with a 5AT). Having driven both options extensively, and previously owning a TL-S, I find the stick a much more fun, enjoyable and satisfying car to drive, LSD warts and all.

Sure, RWD or AWD would be a better setup, but they aren't available, and the car still rocks. BMWs and G35s are better behaved over uneven pavement , so if it's going to be a significant issue for you, you may be happier in one of those cars (personally, I'd still prefer the TL 6MT on wintery roads).
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
no torque steer. clutch and shifter are awesome-i prefer them to the S2K's i had.

zero complaints
Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

My only regret is that there isn't enough road (clear of traffic) between work & home. I cant get to punch it & run 2nd & 3rd gear like I want to. This car needs room. Also regret there are so many speed cops around. I Love this car.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

poll?

So we can see just how lopsided it is.

Love my 6MT.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:23 AM