3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know why our car keys are different?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know why our car keys are different?

So I'm going to get a switchblade from the groupbuy. The question that I have, is why exactly do we need the dealer to program the key? Maybe ServiceTech will read this...

The reason I ask is that I can program my own keys for my dodge. You just have to have 2 OEM keys in hand before you can start.

I currently have 3 keys that work, and I need to program an additional one. If the dealer can do it, as well as a locksmith - what stops me? I don't buy that a locksmith has a Honda key programmer in his van waiting for me to call.

Kind of a second question too - I called Buerkle Acura in MN, and they basically were confused as hell and said that I couldn't get a switchblade for my car (04). I tried unsuccessfully to explain that this will be a modified switchblade that is milled to OEM specs, so he will just need to cut it like normal. He went on babbling about how the OEM keys have stops on them, and I said this one will too. Long story short - should I be looking for another dealer to cut the key? Or am I better off going with a locksmith? And if the unfortunate happens, any chance of me getting them to buy me a new switchblade keyfob if they incorrectly cut and ruin mine?

Thanks all - I know someone out there has a good answer for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They might fawk up your key if they are convinced it won't work; I had mine cut by a lock smith. The reason you have to take it to Honda is because they hook the car up to the HDN or whatever the acronym is for something Honda Data Network.. it reads the VIN and the key code and programs it into the car..

The local lock smith did mine as well but didn't hook it up or do any vin stuff with it.. some how he replaced my old key 1 with the switchblade key 1; so my existing key 1 will no longer start the car..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well after some extensive Google'in, I have come to the conclusion that it just isn't going to happen no matter how much I rub the keys together...lol

So it appears that Dodge and Ford have a system in place in which a user can program his own transponder keys by using the ignition in the vehicle to "learn" new keys.

Just about everyone else needs a programmer to work. The vehicles themselves do have a program mode, but that is to learn the keys again - but you still have to have the programmer to start. And it appears the technology is pretty much universal, so as long as the locksmith owns 1 programmer, he can do all cars.

So unless anyone else has a better explanation - I think I'm at the mercy of the dealer. They said $60 to program, and it's a free cut for the key. Now... only if I trusted them....
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I would get the key cut at any locksmith and only tell the dealer you want to reprogram all your keys again. Bring every key you want to work with the car to get them all reprogrammed at the same time (including the valet key).