3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what piping is needed to weld on muffler tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Anyone know what piping is needed to weld on muffler tips?

I apoligize in advance if this is in the wrong section.

I picked up a set of quad-tips from SoCal and I'm looking to weld them on. My father's got a welding machine at his shop and it wasn't too tough I was thinking of giving it a shot instead of paying someone to do it.

Not necessarily just to save money but to make sure they're angled just right. It's kind of hard explaining to someone exactly how you want them mounted short of giving them picture's of others' setup.

fyi: My car is a 2008 Base TL

These are the tips I picked up:
http://www.socal-autosports.com/3-quad-exhaust-tips

I want them to sit flush with the bumper, angled up a bit so there isn't much of a gap along the top of the tips and the cutout on the bumper (similar to stock). I'm afraid of a shop welding them straight on or not angling them just right. I know I could always be the annoying guy watching over their shoulder but I hate when people do that to me so I'd rather not do that to them either.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to use some extra piping because by the look of the stock muffler the tips are angled up a bit and then face straight back. if I cut the old tips off and weld these on they'll either be too far out or too low leaving a big gap along the top.

Does anyone know what size piping I'll need and by any chance does anyone have either measurements or before & after pictures of the area that's welded?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
You mean what kind of material?? If so just drop by Autozone and that should work.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Engineer in Training

Well I know the inlet is 2.5" so the size isn't an issue. Most pipes or at least these and what the car has should be steel. Just wondering if anyone who's done this themselves had pictures of the actual welds to an idea for the cuts I'll have to make and weld to get it to sit right.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Do you have the skills in welding and cutting? If so it shouldn't be to hard.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
I'm pretty sure from reading and looking on the quad tip thread that they need to be welded right to mufflers without any extra piping. Do u have base bumper or aspec lip? I'd do some test fitting and measuring
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Engineer in Training

Originally Posted by NetoAzul
Do you have the skills in welding and cutting? If so it shouldn't be to hard.
I've done a bit in the past, my father has certainly done more than I have so I'm sure we can get it done. Just trying to prepare for it a little better.

Originally Posted by zachlone
I'm pretty sure from reading and looking on the quad tip thread that they need to be welded right to mufflers without any extra piping. Do u have base bumper or aspec lip? I'd do some test fitting and measuring
If they only needed to be welded right to the muffler there wouldn't be two cars with the same bumper and different gaps (somewhere on this board, possibly the quad tip thread). Not to mention, people have said they've requested from the shop doing the work to angle them up a little more (like I said in my first post) to reduce the gap.

I'm almost positive I've seen someone post a picture of the extra bits that needed to be added/made. hmm...