3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have information re: legal actions w/ Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have information re: legal actions w/ Acura?

Just curious, totally fed up with the recurring problem of my steering going out. It is once again binding, this is the 5th time it has been in for it, and Acura Client Services is completely useless - they just tell me they deal with it on a per incident basis, so they are unable to answer my question which is:

When my warranty expires in 6000 miles, and the p/s fails again, what are you going to do?

The response is, they cannot tell the future, but they will certainly look at previous history and consider good will.

Consider it? Thanks. I bought a CPO 04 TL in 2007, with an extended warranty from Acura Care till 100k. I'm sick of paying $475 for a car that I cannot drive because i'm afraid of what's going to happen when my warranty runs out.

I absolutely love my car, but I absolutely refuse to accept that I just have to deal with this issue over and over again, more so because I bought it used.

Anyone w/ experience please chime in, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited by timmahh; 09-01-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I'm not sure why you're having the problem. You need to find another dealership to go too most likely, but I doubt they can't completely fix it. Search the Dealership thread to find a good dealership around you.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I really like my dealership, they take excellent care of me and they do fix the issue each time by replacing the faulty components, I had the regional manager involved in the last case and they did the entire rack/lines/resevoir - the problem is the issue always comes back.. and that's what needs to be fixed.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's reoccuring that many times, there had to be something causing the part to fail. Find a dealer who will actually diagnose it instead of just throwing parts at it.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by timmahh
I really like my dealership, they take excellent care of me and they do fix the issue each time by replacing the faulty components, I had the regional manager involved in the last case and they did the entire rack/lines/resevoir - the problem is the issue always comes back.. and that's what needs to be fixed.
err...so...they aren't really 'fixing' the problem, right? Just replacing some of (not all of) the bad parts from a more serious problem? Unless you believe in gremlins you should take it to another dealer. Kinda' like getting a second opinion from a Dr. eh?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Can you evoke the Lemon law on a used vehicle?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - I don't believe so. Though it depends on what the state statute provides
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I had asked the regional manager and he said the lemon law doesn't apply because it's used; however that does not release them of liability, in my book anyways!

Last edited by timmahh; 09-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious, totally fed up with the recurring problem of my steering going out. It is once again binding, this is the 5th time it has been in for it, and Acura Client Services is completely useless - they just tell me they deal with it on a per incident basis, so they are unable to answer my question which is:

When my warranty expires in 6000 miles, and the p/s fails again, what are you going to do?

The response is, they cannot tell the future, but they will certainly look at previous history and consider good will.

Consider it? Thanks. I bought a CPO 04 TL in 2007, with an extended warranty from Acura Care till 100k. I'm sick of paying $475 for a car that I cannot drive because i'm afraid of what's going to happen when my warranty runs out.

I absolutely love my car, but I absolutely refuse to accept that I just have to deal with this issue over and over again, more so because I bought it used.

Anyone w/ experience please chime in, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
What state do you live in? Leman laws are in effect in most states. Second what problems are you having? Give us some details. I have a CPO 2004 with 60732 miles not a single thing wrong. Maybe it's your the driver you habbits. Do you put the car through extreme use?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had asked the regional manager and he said the lemon law doesn't apply because it's used; however that does not release them of liability, in my book anyways!
Leman law do infact apply to used and new cars Have your Reginal manager reviewed suppling public information and holding a top job and give the public wrong information can cost him his job. Leman laws appy to any vehicle unless you buy from private partys.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I'm in good ole california
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by beachexotic03
Leman law do infact apply to used and new cars Have your Reginal manager reviewed suppling public information and holding a top job and give the public wrong information can cost him his job. Leman laws appy to any vehicle unless you buy from private partys.
Lemon laws do not apply to used cars. Most lemon laws are 18 months 18,000 miles of the new car purchase date, but each state is different. State by state there are warranty mandates, but if the car is a CPO, that in by itself exceeds any state warranty period.
If they are fixing the car not much you can do. Would also like to know what the problem might be. So far our '04 with 64,000 miles not a problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
^ - I don't believe so. Though it depends on what the state statute provides
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Lemon laws do not apply to used cars. Most lemon laws are 18 months 18,000 miles of the new car purchase date, but each state is different. State by state there are warranty mandates, but if the car is a CPO, that in by itself exceeds any state warranty period.
If they are fixing the car not much you can do. Would also like to know what the problem might be. So far our '04 with 64,000 miles not a problem.
Lemon Law does apply in fact......http://www.normantaylor.com/faq.html
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
That's what I remember reading for Florida laws too.
To the OP, definitly take it to another dealer, the service representative might be nice where you go now, but that says nothing to the skill of their mechanics.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Lemon Law does apply in fact......http://www.normantaylor.com/faq.html
I stand corrected. I just read the CA AG guidelines and they do differ from that of new car laws and are very ambiguous as far as compensation, but once again there are laws.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Yeah from what i'm reading lemon laws apply for me because 1) the vehicle was purchased with the factory warranty still in effect and 2) I have the Acura Care warranty till 100k miles. All repairs have been done under warranty.

In total, I have 17 service orders sitting infront of me, 4 of which are for the power steering pump, with the 5th one currently pending.

I really love my car, so much so that I actually get irriated when I commute in w/ the other half in the other car because I enjoy driving mine; but as I stated I refuse to accept the responses from corporate that they might good will it on a per-incident basis based on prior history, and that there is no recourse or lemon law/Song-Beverly for used cars; which turns out to be a complete lie based on the CA Attorney Generals website:

"2.Coverage For Vehicles That Are Not "New"
Although the special provisions discussed above apply to new motor vehicles, Song-Beverly has many general rules that apply to any consumer product sold with an express written warranty. As a result, there is important coverage for motorcycles, the living quarters of a mobile home, used vehicles sold with a dealer's express written warranty, "lemon" vehicles repurchased by the manufacturer and sold to consumers with an express written warranty covering the defect, and vehicles sold with a service contract.

A full description of warranty rights is beyond the scope of this message, but you should be aware that coverage is not identical to the coverage for new motor vehicles. For example, a warrantor who is unable to conform a consumer product to its express warranty within a reasonable number of attempts is required to replace the goods or refund the purchase price less an amount attributable to the consumer's use. Unlike the special rules on new motor vehicles, however, there is no set formula for determining the charge for the consumer's use before the discovery of the defect, and the Lemon Law presumption does not apply."

Last edited by timmahh; 09-01-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spaces!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
timmahh

Glad you went on the CA website and read the info for yourself. We do have 50 states and at least that many possible answers for your question. Hope you get it worked out for good.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by MR1
timmahh

Glad you went on the CA website and read the info for yourself. We do have 50 states and at least that many possible answers for your question. Hope you get it worked out for good.
I work at a law firm so research should be somewhat readily available for me if needed.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
One on the right for me

^ - Are they hiring?

I like leginfo.ca.gov
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Are you an attorney?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM
One on the right for me

I get my bar results in November
Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
William R Mcgee he is handling my case.. My cousin bought a used land rover lr3 and sued Land Rover of North America and won about 10 k...

So i unno it might work.. His car was giving him a shit load of problems..
Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I just want a car that doesnt loose power steering every few months
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Pro

What do you expect them to do at this point? The car is, for all intents and purposes, fixed.

Client services is completely justified in their stance...they can't predict the future any more than you can.

Let's pretend the lemon law did apply (which it doesn't)....even then you would have no recourse...there isn't anything wrong with the car right now.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Riu
2004 TL

I had the same problem as you but I was able to recreate it if i did some quick wheel movements. They finally after 4 trips there replaced a belt and it has been good for over a year now. But in order for them to do it, I called Acura and then when they were no help I called Honda and explained the issue and told them I would like an engineer to come to the dealership and go over my car when i bring it in. They did this and finally fixed the problems.

My dad had a caddilac few years back and he heard noise in the rear when he hit some bumps. 5 service appts and each time they said nothing was wrong. He called GM and told them the issue and they said they were going to send an engineer to look at it and it turns out the bearing in the wheel or something were all cracked. That engineer told my dad that any car company will send an engineer to a dealer to look at your car if the problem has not been fixed over a few visits. We took his advice last year with my car and it worked. Try that and I hope you have just as good luck as I did.

GL
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Riu
That engineer told my dad that any car company will send an engineer to a dealer to look at your car if the problem has not been fixed over a few visits.
Timmahh...

You may have found your answer. IMO, you should qualify for this. I bought from the same dealership as you did, and I've been completely happy with both the sales and service departments there. But somebody had a point. If you run across this issue again in the future, maybe getting a second opinion from another dealership might be in good order. There is absolutely no reason why you should be going through this problem as often as you stated. Something is wrong. Any technician who tells you differently should be applying for a job as a Wal*Mart greeter, not inspecting and repairing automobiles. Fo real...

Anyway, I hope they figure it out. My only concern is that the car was improperly inspected before it was put on the lot for you to purchase. Probably not, but it makes one wonder...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by BG74
What do you expect them to do at this point? The car is, for all intents and purposes, fixed.

Client services is completely justified in their stance...they can't predict the future any more than you can.

Let's pretend the lemon law did apply (which it doesn't)....even then you would have no recourse...there isn't anything wrong with the car right now.
Incorrect; if there was nothing wrong with the car I wouldn't be in a loaner right now.

The 'rule of thumb' new-car lemon law doesn't apply but that doesn't remove all liability from Acura, as there are many sections to Song-Beverly and when I purchased the vehicle it came with the remaining factory warranty + the Acura CPO 12k/12mo warranty + Acura Care ext. warranty to 100k miles.

Obviously I failed to mention it was in the shop right now; I guess it comes across as I just decided to randomly post about my car issues, not the case.

Red Voodoo - Interesting that you should mention that..
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Riu
2004 TL

hmmm did u read my post?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,327 Posts
I would not accept the car back, they have had 17 chances to solve the issue. While the car is in their possession and you have their loaner is the time to make a stand. Ask one of the cool lawyers at your firm for help, if need be pay a retainer and get a letter stating they need to replace the car or you will file suit.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Riu
hmmm did u read my post?
Yes I did sorry; in addition to the p/s pump my axles have been replaced, belt tensioners, drive belt, gear oil (manual trans). I have corporate involved and the regional manager was involved last time - that's when they replaced the entire system instead of just the pump.

They called me yesterday and they are replacing the entire system again; but I honestly think they are just wasting their money.. My car should be ready by next Friday
Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Timmahh did you read my post? Contact that law office and if they dont take your case as a lemon then i have another lawyer that can help you out.

My cousins used land rover lr3 had a bunch of problems they compensated about 10-11 grand
Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Tl-sNbp07
Timmahh did you read my post? Contact that law office and if they dont take your case as a lemon then i have another lawyer that can help you out.

My cousins used land rover lr3 had a bunch of problems they compensated about 10-11 grand
I did; I sent a letter to the dealer yesterday, trying to resolve it without going through an attorney, etc.

If we don't get anywhere i'll talk to an attorney about the next steps. It wouldn't make any sense to hire an attorney if they're willing to work with me.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by beachexotic03
Don't ever make absolute statements on laws like this if you want your post to be taken seriously. Every state has different laws on these sorts of things and not all states have lemon laws in the first place. It behooves anyone considering legal action to find out the laws in his own jurisdiction. The OP obviously knows that if he works for a law firm, but it's amazing how many people don't seem to know that just because one state might have a pro-consumer lemon law doesn't mean a thing as to what the laws might be in other states.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Well the service manager called me and told me he got my letter and will give it to the general manager; not sure when he will get back to me but hopefully soon.