Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have - BMW-ZKW-3-Series-Headlights-Bi-Xenon-D2S-Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have - BMW-ZKW-3-Series-Headlights-Bi-Xenon-D2S-Projectors

I am having my headlights color matched by JnC. He is also installing BMW-ZKW-3-Series-Headlights-Bi-Xenon-D2S-Projectors. Anyone else running this set-up? What do you think?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Why not go with some S2k Valeo's? So far, to my experience they have the most colorful cut off and are bright as well.

Also, are you going to color mod them?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Safety Car

BTW, do you have any pics of your 50% tint? How do you like it? I have 5% all around but I was thinking of going with a super light tint instead because I think it would look a bit classier and of course give me much of my night visibility back!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aznbo187
BTW, do you have any pics of your 50% tint? How do you like it? I have 5% all around but I was thinking of going with a super light tint instead because I think it would look a bit classier and of course give me much of my night visibility back!

Here's a pic...it is real light, but I have great visibility w/uv protection

Old 10-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Why not go with some S2k Valeo's? So far, to my experience they have the most colorful cut off and are bright as well.

Also, are you going to color mod them?

I hadn't heard of them...I'll have to check that out.

What do you mean by "color mod" them?

Thanks for the inpu
Old 10-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Well, if you haven't bought the projectors yet, ask JnC about the Valeo's, they are the ones that come on s2000's. Only thing is Im not sure if they are bi-xenon. Color modding is when you modify the projector, usually washers, to make the cutoff wider. This in turns makes your lights seems bluer, or more colorful to other drivers. I'm sure JnC knows about it because I've seen him post on hidplanet.

I'm really digging the tint. What type is it?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't really understand why you are replacing our stock projector they are already bi-xenon and when you color mod them they look VERY similar to the cutoff pattern of the S2000. It really makes no sense to me
Old 10-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
I would just leave it as it is. Don't mess it up. It look nice as it is.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 PM
acura-cl.com OG

i was just looking on customlightz.com and they rank the S2000, TSX and TL as the best projectors to retrofit, especially when color modded. check it out at that site, he did however, label the pics backwards, the modded pics are the purple ones, and yellow is stock.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Racer

hey ding i remember you talkin about hid planet once. i tried registering there but it wont let me register
Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ding069
i don't really understand why you are replacing our stock projector they are already bi-xenon and when you color mod them they look VERY similar to the cutoff pattern of the S2000. It really makes no sense to me

It was something JnC suggested...I wanted to do something diffent than the norm. But, based on what you are saing, it may actually be a downgrade vs. and upgrade. Thanks for the heads up I'll do a little research before making a final decision. I'm hearing you suggest color modding the existing projectors and leaving it at that...I've already ordered the BMW projectors...hopefully I can return them if needed.

Thanks again for the input
Old 10-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

i was just looking on customlightz.com and they rank the S2000, TSX and TL as the best projectors to retrofit, especially when color modded. check it out at that site, he did however, label the pics backwards, the modded pics are the purple ones, and yellow is stock.
Hey ding...here is part of a message I got from JnC. When I look at the pics...the lines look sharper and clearer, also the light seems brighter. What do you think?

Here's his message to me:

ZKW Lens Swap

Ok this mod is very rare and i believe NO TL owner has EVER done it. The TL Bi-xenon projector is known for its great output both low beam and high beam wise. But that output can be bettered 10 folds by swapping the factory lens used for the projector with a pair of clear lenses from the ZKW bi-xenon projectors. The ZKW units are very rare because they are only found in one car, the 04 BMW 330XI. Due to this rarity the units run from $350 to $450 depending on the condition of the projectors.

Here is a pair that I saw on eBay, just to show you what they look like.

ZKW Projectors on ebay

You must be wondering what the results would be after you spend $400 on your current projectors. Well here they are

Output is crisp and clear.
The cut off line gets razor sharp.
You get crazy blue color on top of the cut off line.

Here are a few pictures.

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/HI.../zoomstock.jpg

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/HI...I/colorlow.jpg
Old 10-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Oh ok, I dont think this is a complete projector swap, its just a lense swap for clear lenses.

Nevermind what I said. Post some pics of the results!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, if you haven't bought the projectors yet, ask JnC about the Valeo's, they are the ones that come on s2000's. Only thing is Im not sure if they are bi-xenon. Color modding is when you modify the projector, usually washers, to make the cutoff wider. This in turns makes your lights seems bluer, or more colorful to other drivers. I'm sure JnC knows about it because I've seen him post on hidplanet.

I'm really digging the tint. What type is it?

Llumar is the name of the manufacturer...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:08 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Oh ok, I dont think this is a complete projector swap, its just a lense swap for clear lenses.

Nevermind what I said. Post some pics of the results!
yeah i agree with what you said, it seems as lenses only. I am not sure if the lenses are exatly the same size, and if they are not you will have projection problems. They must be 100% PERFECTLY centered to work properly and to maximize output.

IMO, those shots look VERY similar to the cutoffs of the S2000's. very sharp thin cutoff. however, what thats does mean is that you have a very narrow color band. When you color mod and S2000, TSX or TL projector the color band is increased by about 5 times. What this means is that onlookers see more color before the light shifts the pure 4300K output. Though the cutoff is not as sharp on the TL, i love it because the color band is soo thick, they look awesome.

I looked on ebay, a set goes for about $240, which is actually less than the TL's go for.

IMO i would stick with the TL's projectors and color mod them. If you want a sharper cutoff, go with the ZKW lenses.

i would be anxious to see how it looks, but the TL projector is probably the most coveted in retro's as is.....and i dont think it can get much better.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by imrantl
hey ding i remember you talkin about hid planet once. i tried registering there but it wont let me register
take a look here:

http://customlightz.com/

under the "services" --> "S2000 & TSX owners" section.

then click on the "TL bixenon projector mod pics.

he is got the modded and oem labels reversed, the modded ones are the pics with ALOT of purple.

dramatic improvement that takes literally 10 min when the headlamps are pulled out.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah i agree with what you said, it seems as lenses only. I am not sure if the lenses are exatly the same size, and if they are not you will have projection problems. They must be 100% PERFECTLY centered to work properly and to maximize output.

IMO, those shots look VERY similar to the cutoffs of the S2000's. very sharp thin cutoff. however, what thats does mean is that you have a very narrow color band. When you color mod and S2000, TSX or TL projector the color band is increased by about 5 times. What this means is that onlookers see more color before the light shifts the pure 4300K output. Though the cutoff is not as sharp on the TL, i love it because the color band is soo thick, they look awesome.

I looked on ebay, a set goes for about $240, which is actually less than the TL's go for.

IMO i would stick with the TL's projectors and color mod them. If you want a sharper cutoff, go with the ZKW lenses.

i would be anxious to see how it looks, but the TL projector is probably the most coveted in retro's as is.....and i dont think it can get much better.
I am trying to push the envelop a little...make it a little better and unique. I guess the only way I will know for sure is to experiment. I really like the sharp cut off. Since I've already purchased the ZKW's (they are on their way), I think I'll have them installed with the color mod. If I understand your post, that will give me a sharp cut off and the color band will be thicker than stock, but not as thick as stock with color mod. So, all in all...a better set-up than stock and something unique.

Outside of the lense change, I am having them color matched to my car (RRP) I don't think blacking or clearing them out will look good w/RRP. Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Racer

get them cleared, they will look nicer with the them you are going with
Old 10-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

get them cleared, they will look nicer with the them you are going with
It is a tough call...cleared will match up well with wheels. However, they may stick out/contract too much. Don't want to over do things. Trying to keep it pretty subtle. Not many RRP's to compare. K-Shawn has a real nice ride...his headlights are color matched and it looks real good. What do you see as the theme and why do you think cleared will match it better?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Racer

they will look nicer with your rims if you clear them. smoked will have too much going on and rrp color matched would look nicer if you get black rims
Old 10-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Drifting

i would just color mod your tl projectors, so sick
Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Got a Job!

TL projectors are one of the best out there, along w/ the TSX and s2000 as other have mentioned (and s2000 projectors are not standard valeos that are in Audis). The lens swap would be sweet, but a COMPLETE waste of money. If ANYTHING, I would color mod your current projectors, and that's it! Trust me on this...save your money and just color mod them. Instead, get a l.e.d. retrofit or some shit
Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Instructor

ChicoOG,

I had a color mod and foreground mod done on my projector with stock lense. Some member of HIDplanet also did the same thing. The output was dissapointing. I ended up restore my projector back to normal.

You did the right thing by using ZKW lense. One HIDplanet member did ZKW lense mod and the output was amazing. He also suggests to do color mod with ZKW lense.

To simplify:
Stock lense: no color mod and no foreground mod
ZKW lense: very nice n' bright output, color mod ONLY

You can also do search on HIDplanet under "TL" I think. I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foot3ch
ChicoOG,

I had a color mod and foreground mod done on my projector with stock lense. Some member of HIDplanet also did the same thing. The output was dissapointing. I ended up restore my projector back to normal.

You did the right thing by using ZKW lense. One HIDplanet member did ZKW lense mod and the output was amazing. He also suggests to do color mod with ZKW lense.

To simplify:

Thanks foot3ch, those who have actually used ZKW all seem to say the same thing. Also, looking at pictures comparing diffent options...I see a pretty dramatic change. The only concern I have is the size the the lense and is it a perfect match to existing (as per ding's comment above) If so, I am going to give them a try.

Now for the blinker bulb. This is what JnC is recommending:

"Mike i have also been trying to locate replacement 7443 bulbs that go in the indicator. I came across a set that a seller sells on ebay, they are exactly what people are looking for i.e. they look chrome when they are turned off yet light up amber so you are legal in all ways and cops wouldnt give you any trouble regarding that matter."

Last thing, still debating Clearing vs. Color match.

What about a half clear? What I mean by that is cut out most of the amber, leaving a piece on the side. There are two patterns on the amber filter, I'm thinking about cutting the amber piece along the line that seperates the two patterns. Not having seen the inside of the light, I don't know if this is possible and if there is anything that can hold the remaining piece in place. Again, trying to do something different/unique yet practical.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dem1K
TL projectors are one of the best out there, along w/ the TSX and s2000 as other have mentioned (and s2000 projectors are not standard valeos that are in Audis). The lens swap would be sweet, but a COMPLETE waste of money. If ANYTHING, I would color mod your current projectors, and that's it! Trust me on this...save your money and just color mod them. Instead, get a l.e.d. retrofit or some shit

I've looked at pictures of the color modded TL projectors...I don't like them. Yeah, a lot of color, but the edges seems to be real blurry...I really like the sharp edge of the ZKW's. I could be wrong on all of this...I'll post pics of before and after and you can decide
Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

they will look nicer with your rims if you clear them. smoked will have too much going on and rrp color matched would look nicer if you get black rims

Good point. K-Shawn has black rims...hmmmm, have to think about that
Old 10-14-2006, 02:29 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by foot3ch
ChicoOG,

To simplify:

the foreground mod decreases the light output to almost nothing in the TL's housing. This mod should only be done when retrofitting a TL projector in another housing The color mod does not decrease output at all!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:38 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I've looked at pictures of the color modded TL projectors...I don't like them. Yeah, a lot of color, but the edges seems to be real blurry...I really like the sharp edge of the ZKW's. I could be wrong on all of this...I'll post pics of before and after and you can decide
if you want a sharp cutoff from a non fresnel lens, go with the ZKW's.
if you want increased colorband, go with the colormod and stock lenses.

i have asked around, and the ZKW lenses by themselves can be bought for about $100-200, i do think $400 is high The non fresnels are similar to he S2000's if that is what your looking for.

your other questions:

go with 7443's from silverbulbs.com, thats what i install and they are great.

color match the housings. you can never go wrong regardless of the rest of your mods on the car. clearing and/or black out wouldn't look right on an RRP.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

if you want a sharp cutoff from a non fresnel lens, go with the ZKW's.
if you want increased colorband, go with the colormod and stock lenses.

i have asked around, and the ZKW lenses by themselves can be bought for about $100-200, i do think $400 is high The non fresnels are similar to he S2000's if that is what your looking for.

your other questions:

go with 7443's from silverbulbs.com, thats what i install and they are great.

color match the housings. you can never go wrong regardless of the rest of your mods on the car. clearing and/or black out wouldn't look right on an RRP.

Hey Ding, thanks for all the input...really appreciate it

So, here's were it stands:

ZKW's
7443's
Color Match or "Half Cleared"...(still thinking about)

Thanks again, I'll post pics of before and after once done.