3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone fixed the sunroof visor rattle in '05?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone fixed the sunroof visor rattle in '05?

Hi guys,

So I picked up my Anthracite/6MT/Navi on Friday. What an awesome car, but you guys already know that. The ONLY problem I have is the visor on the sunroof rattling. More like a clicking sound when I go over small bumps in the road. It goes CLICKETY, CLICK CLICK. All the time. VERY annoying.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Does Acura have a solution to this?

Please let me know if anyone has fixed this. Thanks!

Rob
Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Search is your friend

If you can't find it in the 3G TL Garage sticky, then do a forum search for "roof" and/or "rattle".

Lots of discussion and fixes are there for the asking.

See this: CLICK HERE for enlightenment

By the way, welcome to Acurazine.com. Congratulations on your new TL! I know you will meet lots of new friends here with common interests. We've got thousands of members with extensive experience and knowledge who can help you as you get familiar with your new car.

Enjoy!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof open or closed?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The sunroof is closed but the slider thing that blocks light (what's it called? the visor?) is open all the way. The clicking sound comes from around the handle area (the middle of it). I've been looking through other threads and I don't see anyone else complaining of this, so maybe only the 2005s have this problem. I must say that it's quite frustrating because the car is so darn quiet that you don't want the silence broken by clicking sounds.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'm bringing her to the dealership tonight, but I don't know if they have a clue how to fix it...
Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 PM
VTEC is happiness

Welcome zax123,

perform a search as suggested above, and you should find several threads discussing this. Best of luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
Hi guys,

So I picked up my Anthracite/6MT/Navi on Friday. What an awesome car, but you guys already know that. The ONLY problem I have is the visor on the sunroof rattling. More like a clicking sound when I go over small bumps in the road. It goes CLICKETY, CLICK CLICK. All the time. VERY annoying.

Rob

This is bad news for the guy who just traded his 04 in for an 05 thinking that these issues would have been fixed with the new model year. Sounds like that is not the case, very surprising for Honda/Acura.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Instructor

This is the same problem I had with my 04 TL. Brought it to the dealership and they were able to fix it. Sad to hear that Acura has not fixed the issue at the factory.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Club Abyss Member

no improvements for '05 ?......same old rattles continue

it's very early yet in the 2005 model year but i have noticed a few new '05 owners already complain about some of the same issues that plagued myself and other first year owners....the sunvisor rattle,the rear deck rattle and the driver side window rattle are back again- but not by popular demand !......like others have said this is very fustrating and dissappointing coming from Honda.......when it's time to buy another car i may just avoid Honda/Acura next time.......
Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Racer

Techguy - input please?!

I have the same issue on my 04. I took it to my dealer and they lubed the sunroof (WTF) and the rattle is still there. How did they fix your car?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Rattle

The sunroof rattle was the only rattle I have had with my new '04 bought in June, '04 (now has 9000 miles). The rattle only occurred when the sunroof was in the vent position. It turned out that the wind deflector was bumping the metal roof of the car when I'd hit a small bump - the fix is simple. Buy some Velcro at WalMart and just use the part that resembles a cushion-type material (buy the sticky backed stuff). Open the sunroof completely and stick 4-6 small strips under the deflector stuck to the roof evenly spaced for the width of the roof. That way, the deflector can no longer hit the metal roof, but, will strike the cushion and your rattle is gone. Apparently, there's not enough clearance for the deflector when the sunroof is in the vent position. The deflector is spring loaded and capable of moving when not in the exposed position (sunroof open position). Hope that helps.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Instructor

The dealer said the fixed the headliner near the sunroof opening as well as the area by the sunroof switch. My rattle was not coming from the sunroof itself. This was why the rattle was only present when the sunshade was open. The wind deflector may also be a culprit or worse, both.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Hi guys,

Rob
How does it go? Clikety, click click? Used to be click, clack, click!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, I took it to the dealer and of course, all they could say was "That's normal". ARGH. So, I don't know what's next. I'll have to listen real carefully and see if I can put some felt in there. Or velcro. This weekend will be my car fixing weekend. Thanks for all the tips people! This is really the only complaint I have about the car so far. That's pretty darn awesome.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:30 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well, I took it to the dealer and of course, all they could say was "That's normal". ARGH. So, I don't know what's next. I'll have to listen real carefully and see if I can put some felt in there. Or velcro. This weekend will be my car fixing weekend. Thanks for all the tips people! This is really the only complaint I have about the car so far. That's pretty darn awesome.
If it's the same rattle that I had, you really should just buy a pack of felt strips and put it where the wind deflector rests. That'll take care of the problem... (Your symptoms match what I had)
Old 10-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

This is my only complaint about the car after my first week.

My rattle comes when the visor is closed. If I push on the corner above the pass seat the rattle stops. I do not see a way to fix this. Maybe putting velcro or rubber to the side of the visor will help. Please post if you have found a fix.

Also, thanks for the ideas on fixing the rattle when in the vent position. Mine sounds like the roof is not attached properly when open in the vent position. this easy fix makes me feel better.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:22 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I developed a headliner rattle with the roof open after about 3000 miles. Took it to the dealer and low and behold, I now have more rattles with the roof open and an assortment of those click clickity clicks coming from multiple places with the roof closed that I didn't have before. My next appt with the service dept is in 2 weeks.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced

i had that same clicking noise in my sunroof and the dealer did fix it. they replaced, oh darn, can't remember....uh, some sort of arm, it's one of the arms that is used to tilt the window upwards, that's what was rattling. it took my dealer 2 tries to find it, and they did and fixed it.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Dgunsuh... thanks for the info. I brought it to the dealership today and they said they need a day to take the roof apart and fix it properly... so I'll schedule that during my next checkup... But thanks, I'll mention the arm-thingy.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I recommend adhesive-back 1/4" black felt discs available at www.mcmaster.com. Search on ythem, and you can buy sheets with hundreds of them - I keep them in my glovebox, so i can nail a new vibe quickly. You can stack them as you see fit, or buy various diameters depending on your need.

Send me a PM and a SASE and I will send you some to play with.

I have fixed or reduced buzzes in:
center storage bin doors, glove box, sunroof, sunshade (2 dots on the light "flap"), and some other minor
Old 10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks RR, I've ordered the felt discs from McMaster. I have a feeling I'm going to need them. Hopefully, the dealership will fix the sunroof rattle, but I'm sure I'll need the felt for other things. Thanks for the suggestion!