3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone feel like there is overcompensation in the steering on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
anyone feel like there is overcompensation in the steering on the highway?

I feel as though there is TOO much power steering when banking in turns on the highway .. much much different the the type S .. enough to make me use BOTH hands at 2 and 10 o'clock to make sure I don't accidently oversteer into another lane.

Doesn't this car have speed-sensitive steering like the TypeS? Seems like's it's on overkill sometimes .. although it's very nice when I need to park w/ my 18's .. provides ample power to make parking a breeze.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just took my first hwy drive down to Winfield and after the first on ramp, I was comfortable with the steering. TL seems to steer itself at hwy speeds. Hard to keep under 80 though!!
Old 03-14-2004, 06:37 PM
ZHP 4CE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: anyone feel like there is overcompensation in the steering on the highway?

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I feel as though there is TOO much power steering when banking in turns on the highway .. much much different the the type S .. enough to make me use BOTH hands at 2 and 10 o'clock to make sure I don't accidently oversteer into another lane.

Doesn't this car have speed-sensitive steering like the TypeS? Seems like's it's on overkill sometimes .. although it's very nice when I need to park w/ my 18's .. provides ample power to make parking a breeze.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. The TL does have variable assist power steering, but I don't think it's nearly as good as on BMWs or the new RX-8 (which is probably the best one I've felt).
Old 03-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Even the Type S was easier to steer on the highway .. it tightened up very nicely. However, it was a bit of a chore steering to park my car.

Even C&D commented that the steering is over-compensating.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:33 AM
Racer

you got that right about keeping it under 80. just passed the 600 mile break-in mark and damn does this thing love to go. so smooth. it is a supreme highway burner. not a cruiser like a ls 430 because thats all about comfort trust me. but the person who can drive slowly on the highway in a tl is someone I dont want to know. it makes you want to drive it for any reason or none. only flaw is the pitiful turning radius.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I miss the power steering on the older Hondas (say pre 1990 or so).

Past about 45 mph, the power steering basically shut off and you had PERFECT road feel without any boost and yet the car was light enough that you could steer it easily if necessary. Just a bit of a tug was all you needed.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I was driving down a stretch of highway a few weeks back (at night) at 75 MPH and as I came around this one curve, a damn Mountain Lion ran across the lane in front of me (thank God for HID headlights). Even at 75 MPH, my evasive manuever to avoid it was very crisp and responsive without getting the least bit "out of control". I was very impressed with its ability to get around this thing like it was a slolam course. Just thought I would share my experience.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:59 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wow, mountain lions in the freeway. We get the occasional rabbit, skunk, or even deer, but never a lion.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, definitely over compensated. If you think it's bad, wait until you take it up to 120mph - 130mph, you can't feel the road at all. Some have suggested getting new sticker tires will help.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Do you mean lack of road feel, too much power steering boost or a "quick" steering (ie twitchy) ?

Each successive TL generation has had less road feel through the steering wheel. I love my 1st generation, I feel road imperfections the way they were intended.

The 3rd generation TL doesn't have any roadfeel, it feels too much like an arcade game.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Too much steering boost .. w/ the 18" wheel/tire setup .. i've regained some more road feel thanks to the lower profile rims. The whole highway overcompensation deal is a bit disconcerting b/c sometimes I just like to rest the weight of my hand on one side of the steering wheel (as I used to do in my TL-S) and just bank into a turn .. however, if I do that NOW, the weight of my hand will totally cock the wheel way too much to that particular side and nearly steer me into another lane.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

As I mentioned above, I miss the older Hondas. NO steering boost past 40 or 45 mph! Felt GREAT!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

Not to inflame the FWD vs RWD dilema, but in a powerful FWD car like the TL lack of ultimate road feel is a given. For a FWD the TL has amazing feel. Compared to my previous TLs feel is much improved. In my previous car you could only tell understeer was occurring because the lack of directional change, you couldn't feel it through the wheel at all, it was very unnerving in high speed twisties. My 6 spd, on the other hand, hardly understeers at all and when pushed past its limit you can feel it coming.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Not to inflame the FWD vs RWD dilema, but in a powerful FWD car like the TL lack of ultimate road feel is a given. For a FWD the TL has amazing feel. Compared to my previous TLs feel is much improved. In my previous car you could only tell understeer was occurring because the lack of directional change, you couldn't feel it through the wheel at all, it was very unnerving in high speed twisties. My 6 spd, on the other hand, hardly understeers at all and when pushed past its limit you can feel it coming.
Try a 1st generation TL, far superior road feel. Honda "dumbed" it down in the '98 Accord V6 and later the '99+ TL's.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Racer

Re: anyone feel like there is overcompensation in the steering on the highway?

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Doesn't this car have speed-sensitive steering like the TypeS?
I'm probably wrong on this, but didn't Acura change the steering from speed sensitive to torque sensitive with the Type-S. I'm pretty sure my 2000 TL-P was speed sensisitve, and the press releases for the TL-S were tauting the virtues of torque sensitive steering over speed sensitive steering because it more accurately reflected the times when you really wanted firmer steering feel.

Like I said, I'm probably mis-remembering...
Old 03-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Retired MOD

Re: Re: anyone feel like there is overcompensation in the steering on the highway?

Originally posted by SCWells72
I'm probably wrong on this, but didn't Acura change the steering from speed sensitive to torque sensitive with the Type-S. I'm pretty sure my 2000 TL-P was speed sensisitve, and the press releases for the TL-S were tauting the virtues of torque sensitive steering over speed sensitive steering because it more accurately reflected the times when you really wanted firmer steering feel.

Like I said, I'm probably mis-remembering...
It is still speed sensitive, but the it was also torque sensing not sensitive.

Here the best info I can find: Sorry I can't give personal opinion because I don't own the car

The 2004 TL uses new speed-sensitive, torque-sensing, variable power-assisted rack and pinion steering. The engine-driven variable-output pump provides steering feel preferred by driving enthusiasts: modest steering effort at low speeds and precise feel at higher speeds. The steering feel is very linear and evenly weighted.

Hydraulic steering dampers built into the system further improve stability during cornering and at high speeds. A one-way release valve decreases kickback in the steering wheel that can be caused by road irregularities. The hydraulic valve closes when it senses road irregularities, impeding disturbances to the steering wheel.

Increasing the stiffness of the steering gearbox mounting and the rear sub frame also maximizes steering linearity.