3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have this happen to their TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else have this happen to their TL?

So i had my radiator replaced on the TL 3 weeks ago, because the car stunk like antifreeze, also there was dried up antifreeze around the top of the radiator. it's been 3 weeks the car still stinks, but the level has not moved, and the pressure test the dealership did last week came back with nothing wrong.

the dealership can't seem to find the issue, and neither can i or anyone else. the car definetly smells, but there is no visable leak.

it's a very strange thing, because if there was a leak the level would be down, and if it was with the engine i would have a possible blown head gasket, and eventually a blown engine
Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 AM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the smell the car itself or is it being transmitted through the HVAC vents?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
Is the smell the car itself or is it being transmitted through the HVAC vents?
you can only smell if from outside the car, and if you put your face between the engine, and raditor fan(driver side) it's very strong.

i'm think the overflow bottle, but the dealership won't replace it. i'm supposed to go there tomorrow for them to look again
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by rbf351
you can only smell if from outside the car, and if you put your face between the engine, and raditor fan(driver side) it's very strong.

i'm think the overflow bottle, but the dealership won't replace it. i'm supposed to go there tomorrow for them to look again
weird... the one time my car smelled remotely like that i washed it immediately. may help? Did they say why they wouldnt replace the o/b? Not under warranty?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM
aw1
Pro

So i had my radiator replaced on the TL 3 weeks ago, because the car stunk like antifreeze, also there was dried up antifreeze around the top of the radiator. it's been 3 weeks the car still stinks, but the level has not moved, and the pressure test the dealership did last week came back with nothing wrong.

the dealership can't seem to find the issue, and neither can i or anyone else. the car definetly smells, but there is no visable leak.

it's a very strange thing, because if there was a leak the level would be down, and if it was with the engine i would have a possible blown head gasket, and eventually a blown engine

is the smell coming with the vent open inside the car? might want to change the air filter.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aw1
is the smell coming with the vent open inside the car? might want to change the air filter.

It's coming from the outside (see post #3).

Did you check maybe there was still some antifreeze sitting in the engine bay that was left from the old radiator.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eoanou
It's coming from the outside (see post #3).

Did you check maybe there was still some antifreeze sitting in the engine bay that was left from the old radiator.

the entire car was washed down, and is driven 40 miles a day since the radiator was replaced. so if there was any left it would have burnt off by now.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
if there is dried spilled antifreeze in the engine bay that spilled in other places around the radiator it will sit there and stink for a while, as in you will probably be able to smell it for a couple of weeks or longer after driving the car.

notice when u are checking the level after shutting the car off it will be high but after the car sits overnight the level will be lower after the coolant settles.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
there are areas in the engine where stuff like that can puddle and sit for a long time and not get burnt up or go away.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by CleanCL
there are areas in the engine where stuff like that can puddle and sit for a long time and not get burnt up or go away.
yes thats true, except everthing is spotless. it's been cleaned by my and acura numerous times. so the only thing that could be sitting there would be water, and that burns up pretty fast
Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe a small animal crawl up in your engine bay and died?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
Maybe a small animal crawl up in your engine bay and died?
and smells like antifreeze? i highly doubt it
Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by wasupdog
if there is dried spilled antifreeze in the engine bay that spilled in other places around the radiator it will sit there and stink for a while, as in you will probably be able to smell it for a couple of weeks or longer after driving the car.
I'm inclined to agree with this, that there is antifreeze in some odd little place. I had some spill when I put my intake in and it stunk for weeks. Given the attention to detail I gather you have (based on your posts), I'm sure you did a good job cleaning, but liquids can do amazing things when allowed to flow freely...there really is no telling where some might have gone.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I'm inclined to agree with this, that there is antifreeze in some odd little place. I had some spill when I put my intake in and it stunk for weeks. Given the attention to detail I gather you have (based on your posts), I'm sure you did a good job cleaning, but liquids can do amazing things when allowed to flow freely...there really is no telling where some might have gone.
your right, but nothing "should" have spilled anywhere, especially since the car is stock. also the dealership is pissing me off since they are pulling the BS that they can't smell it.

i'm ready to call honda of america if this isn't straightened out tomorrow. no car should smell like antifreeze, especailly if there is no coolant leak
Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

But you had a leak prior to the replacement...and the dealer was the one who did the replacement work...anything could've been spilled or splashed somewhere during this.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM

But you had a leak prior to the replacement...and the dealer was the one who did the replacement work...anything could've been spilled or splashed somewhere during this.

didn't actually have a leak, i had the same issue, and they replaced the radiator under warranty. yeah it's possible they spilled some, but they said they've washed it the past 2 times i've been there, and i've washed it a few times myself since then(3 weeks ago)

i'm not trying to fight you saying nothing can still be sitting, but it's almost impossible to be there after 3 weeks, and the amount of times it's been hosed down, or pressure washed according to the dealer
Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I know there's no leak now, but there was no leak originally? That is truly odd. Guess I'm left with the million dollar question...where is the smell coming from?

And I'm definitely not trying to argue, just trying to point out all possibilities no matter how remote. As they say, once you rule out the probable, you're left with the improbable.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:06 PM

I know there's no leak now, but there was no leak originally? That is truly odd. Guess I'm left with the million dollar question...where is the smell coming from?

And I'm definitely not trying to argue, just trying to point out all possibilities no matter how remote. As they say, once you rule out the probable, you're left with the improbable.
originally i thought the radiator was leaking from where the plastic tops meets the metal, but since the same smell is there, it wasn't from that.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
get a bottle of washer fluid....and pour in all over the radiator, washer fluid dries up faster than coolant, and takes all the puddles and smell out...if you can get to shop air, and blow it dry...it'll be better....i do that everytime i do tbelt's and wpumps....just splash diluted washer fluid over everything that coolant spilled on....may help....if u smell it in the car...and ur windows get fogged up....you need a heater core...but it doesn't sound like you are having that problem...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same smell, can't find a leak, can't find any staining from where it might have leaked and dried up. Sometimes it's stronger than others, the level hasn't ever moved, can't find anything wrong with it but it is annoying. 65,000 miles on 04 TL 6sp
Old 04-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Is the smell there only when the engine is hot?

Is your engine temp normal?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well whatever is the outcome, please come back and post it because I am reading that some guys have had this problem for awhile and I would like to know just in case it ever happens to me. Your local dealer might just be inept!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kikaida
Is the smell there only when the engine is hot?

Is your engine temp normal?

the smell is there as soon as the cooling fan turns on. and yes the engine temp is normal

i will also post what happens today after i get back from the dealership which is in another 6 hours
Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM

just got back home, looks like i have an appointment with the acura rep next WED
Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Check your heater coil. Same thing happened to my mothers 02 Diamante and it was her heater coil, a friend of the family found the issue after 3 repair attempts from the dealership failed.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by robbie82
Check your heater coil. Same thing happened to my mothers 02 Diamante and it was her heater coil, a friend of the family found the issue after 3 repair attempts from the dealership failed.
you mean the heater core, right?

it's definetly not that
Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
lol i was just about to correct him...wtf is a heater coil? lol.....yes please let us know what the reps say....those guys dont know much anyways...half of them never even turned a wrench before...
Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
lol i was just about to correct him...wtf is a heater coil? lol.....yes please let us know what the reps say....those guys dont know much anyways...half of them never even turned a wrench before...

just like the Asst manager who told me it was completly normal for my car to smell like antifreeze. and if it's up to him they won't do anything
Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Take a hose and wash it down. The reason you get that smell is because the dealer never washed down everything under the hood. Wash it down and your problem is solved.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Take a hose and wash it down. The reason you get that smell is because the dealer never washed down everything under the hood. Wash it down and your problem is solved.
you sound like the assbags at the dealership. read the entire thread, the engine bay, has been cleaned numerous times
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you sound like the assbags at the dealership. read the entire thread, the engine bay, has been cleaned numerous times
"The smell is there as soon as the cooling fan turns on. and yes the engine temp is normal."

You stated the engine bay has been cleaned, have you/they pressure washed the radiator itself and AC coil in front of the radiator, real well?? I had the same issue on an old street rod. Would only smell when my electric fan would kick on. Ended up having an extremely small leak within the radiator veins etc.. Never enough to see it drop in level or hit the ground.

No smell until the fan kicked on and sucked it through and blew the "hot" odor around.... Bottom line, if it still stinks that bad, something still has antifreeze residue on it and/or is still leaking....
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
"The smell is there as soon as the cooling fan turns on. and yes the engine temp is normal."

You stated the engine bay has been cleaned, have you/they pressure washed the radiator itself and AC coil in front of the radiator, real well?? I had the same issue on an old street rod. Would only smell when my electric fan would kick on. Ended up having an extremely small leak within the radiator veins etc.. Never enough to see it drop in level or hit the ground.

No smell until the fan kicked on and sucked it through and blew the "hot" odor around.... Bottom line, if it still stinks that bad, something still has antifreeze residue on it and/or is still leaking....
the radiator is brand new, so i highly doubt it would be form that. also there is no leak since the fluid level never moves. pressure tested it too. i'm sure it's something, but it's not definetly not residue. by now any left over antifreeze would have dried up and turned to powder
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM

the area circled in red is where the smell is very strong

Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Overflow bottle cap loose or overflow tube missing?
Temporarily remove the overflow bottle and put a long radiator overflow hose on it into a bucket of water, see if you get the smell.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sandynmike
Overflow bottle cap loose or overflow tube missing?
Temporarily remove the overflow bottle and put a long radiator overflow hose on it into a bucket of water, see if you get the smell.
the overflow bottle and tubes are there, and not loose.

the first thing i thought was maybe there was a pinhole in the plastic bottle. i was also going to plug up the overflow tube, just to see if no smell was there after that, but i know if i make a mark or anything the dealership will use that against me, and say it's my fault
Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Can you smell it with the hood closed?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sandynmike
Can you smell it with the hood closed?
yes, but not as strong as if the hood is opened
Old 05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just got back home, looks like i have an appointment with the acura rep next WED
Is that reason for optimism, or do you feel the "screw" about to be tightened? What did they sound like? or ??
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by darksom1
Is that reason for optimism, or do you feel the "screw" about to be tightened? What did they sound like? or ??
i know for a fact it's going to be a fight next week. i feel as if the KY is already being smeared on my asshole
Old 05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

See if you can have the dealer put some UV dye in the radiator and look for the leak with a UV Light (Black Light).

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this happen to their TL?