3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else feeling like the TL is morphing into a "chick" car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else feeling like the TL is morphing into a "chick" car?

First let me say, no offense intended to female TL owners, ......my wife is one.

I just wanted to get some feedback from other guy TL owners. I've had my TL now since May and just within the last two months or so EVERY TL I see on the road has a woman at the wheel......I do mean EVERY TL. I see at least two a day going to and from work and in each case ....woman driver.

Maybe I'm the victim of skewed statistical sampling, but I'm starting to question if the TL isn't taking on a VW type personna.

Any thoughts?

P.S.
I live in Northern CA so maybe that has something to do with my oberservations
Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my case, our '05 TL is the newest car in our garage. And so the wife wants to drive the newest car, the TL. I get the old SUV to drive to work. Dang, I'll have to buy another car so I can drive the TL.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
redondo red TL with no mods or body kit... with crochet pillows and shit inside... and those "we support our troops" "soccer mom" stickers on the back!!! HOTTTTT
Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rsvl05TL
First let me say, no offense intended to female TL owners, ......my wife is one.

I just wanted to get some feedback from other guy TL owners. I've had my TL now since May and just within the last two months or so EVERY TL I see on the road has a woman at the wheel......I do mean EVERY TL. I see at least two a day going to and from work and in each case ....woman driver.

Maybe I'm the victim of skewed statistical sampling, but I'm starting to question if the TL isn't taking on a VW type personna.

Any thoughts?

P.S.

On this side of the Country [Boston], I see about 6-7 TLs every-day, only 2 are females in their early-late 40's..the rest are males between 30-45.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts

Any thoughts?

P.S.
I'm in southern CA (West Los Angeles/Marina del Rey) and am surprised that I don't see more women driving the 3d gen. TL, given how well balanced a car it is.
My theory is that car has a fairly aggressive body style and stance, even compared to a BMW 3-series or Pontiac, which may be offputting to more women than men. However, the car is a wonderful car, so why worry? My wife loves the TL, too, but she has difficulty prying the keys from my hands...
I have yet to lose my masculinity from driving any car, even the minivan. [Admittedly, I'm married w/2 kids, so my masculinity level may no longer be all that high...]
Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Advanced

I see about 10-15 TL's a day and it's a 50/50 split with M or F drivers. But, I also see 10-15 SL500's and 3-5 996TT's and a few 360's during my commute all with a few ladies behind the wheel. My wife has even taken my NSX out for a drive with her sister in-law, does that make it a chick car? I don't think so, it actually makes it even hotter to see two gals in it.

Who cares whether or not women like to drive the TL. It's not like we are men driving around in convertible Beetle's.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

in central MA, I mostly see guys driving it...mostly 50+. Occasionally I see a younger guy and we check out each other's cars..! Once in awhile I'll see a woman driving...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
05 AM 6sp w/ Navi

Im divorced w/ 2kids living with my GF who is divorce w/ her 2kids. The TL is my car and she drives the 4runner. She has a think for SUV's. All of the TL's I see rolling around are male drivers with phat rims and tires. My GF loves to drive my car when she needs to run to the store for something real quick. I can see the AT being more of a female car, but the 6sp with the Aspec suspension and some new shoes is definately a Male car without a doubt!!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Cold Racketeer

You got two kinds of chick cars though.

1. The mom car. When she's not driving her dodge caravan, she's tooling around in her redondo red TL. It's sporting mods such as a giant yellow ribbon, american flag, and honor roll decals. Inside the interior, we are treated to potpouri scented sachels and crochet seat covers.

2. The cali chick car. See "TheMainEvent" car. White, glistening, sunroof open, body kit, etc. The equivalent of a little white sports covertible. Chap stick, designer purse, beach clothes and such grace the interior.

Come to think of it, my car is a #2. Minus the purse and beach stuff... Anyway... I submit you have 2 different types.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Cold Racketeer

I once read a magazine article about the "gayest" cars. No offence intended, it was a legit survey of what gay men drove the most.

I believe the winners were mazda miata and volkswagon jetta.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Coundn't be... not in NBP at least!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
HMFIC

6 speed manual exempts my TL from chick-car status!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Base on my experience… 70% - Soccer moms, 30% - male…
Old 09-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
AGREED!!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Instructor

My advice: If you see a chick in a TL - smile at her and acknowledge. Give her respect. You've seen a woman with great taste in a car you love to drive. Hell, it beats the old mini-van driving ones you see all the time.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A-Spec Kit, Chrome wheels, Tinted windows = MAN RIDE
Old 09-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Any thoughts?

P.S.
I also live in Nor Cal (San Jose) and I agree with you. Most are women drivers. I think the men are driving BMWs and SUVs instead. And these TL drivers are not young either. I would say they're in their 30's and 40's and definitely not in their 20's.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Instructor

also...

It's probably due to the fact that Acura's styling has been somewhat tame until now with the 04/05/06 TLs and most guys in Nor Cal haven't really caught on with it. Time will change that.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Instructor

If its true that more chicks drive TL's than guys, I really dont see it as a bad thing-

You're more likely to get looks from your TL because she probably likes her car.

You already have something in common with her if you felt like talking at the gas pumps. Even if you are married, its still nice to talk to other people

If you're both single, what a great inroad because -

She's obviously intelligent for getting the car with the best value in its class.

She has higher than average amounts of disposable income.

She has class.

I've never seen an ugly girl driving a TL.

Even if she doesnt have a TL, you have any female ride with you in yours, she's likely to be impressed by your car.

Since they also own one too, and spot you on the road.. they probably thought, "Hey thats a nice car!". This is the whole point you picked this car out instead of the Accord or whatever else was on the list, to get noticed and if it worked, you got your moneys worth.

Just because females drive the same car as you doesnt make it look like your car was painted pink and was decorated with lacy fluff trim and bows.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman606
My advice: If you see a chick in a TL - smile at her and acknowledge. Give her respect. You've seen a woman with great taste in a car you love to drive. Hell, it beats the old mini-van driving ones you see all the time.
I agree with this. Ladies who drive TLs have great taste in cars.

And if you think the TL is a chick car, I wonder how the guys over at the BMW forum feel as I see more women driving 3 series than guys.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's true, It is a chick car

Chicks want to get in my car all the time.

LOL
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I pity men who feel that they have to stop doing something they like or stop driving a particular car just because women also like it too. Do things because YOU want to do them and stop worrying about your image or what others may think of you. Who cares if you have the same interests as a woman. That's what makes good relationships. My husband and I are a match made in heaven because we have so much in common.

Originally Posted by tzakiel
You got two kinds of chick cars though.

1. The mom car. When she's not driving her dodge caravan, she's tooling around in her redondo red TL. It's sporting mods such as a giant yellow ribbon, american flag, and honor roll decals. Inside the interior, we are treated to potpouri scented sachels and crochet seat covers.

2. The cali chick car. See "TheMainEvent" car. White, glistening, sunroof open, body kit, etc. The equivalent of a little white sports covertible. Chap stick, designer purse, beach clothes and such grace the interior.

Come to think of it, my car is a #2. Minus the purse and beach stuff... Anyway... I submit you have 2 different types.

You will never see me with a yellow ribbon, american flag, or any soccer paraphernalia. And if themainevent wants to mod her car, let her do what she wants. My car will be what I want it to be. Whether I choose to leave a lot of things stock is my personal preference. I'll do the things that I want and I won't do anything just because some guys on here are doing it or because I feel I have to impress someone. Stop the stereotyping.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Here in Bergen County NJ most of the TL owners I see seem to be in the 50 years old and upwards bracket (I'd say more older ladies than men). Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm driving a geezer mobile ( flame shield on!) since I'm 42 going on 25 . I also feel older because my wife made me get my first slush box .

No "Mainevents" types seen around here. Ocassionally I do see some younger guys and they are usually driving A-Spec's or have different wheels, tints and spoilers. That makes me feel jealous since my car is bone stock and present monetary conditions dictates it's gonna stay that way. I guess I got issues
Old 09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
tTLiang

Any thoughts?

P.S.
who wins in your family when it comes to good stuff? you or your wife? that's why i got the 6sp ha. not that she can't drive 6sp. just one more hurdle for my driving security. ;-)
Old 09-28-2005, 02:51 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in Northern CA and I find that more guys still drive 3G TLs... However, I offer the explanation that most times that we do see females driving it that they are driving their husband's/boyfriend's TLs, like my gf is doing with mine.

One thing I do notice is that guys notice girls driving TLs a lot more than guys... That could possibly explain why sometimes it feels as if more femals are driving 3G TLs...
Old 09-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Miami here,
mostly guys my age driving em.... early to mid 30's...

btw.. my wife hates driving the tl.. too small... nice, more driving time for me.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Cold Racketeer

Originally Posted by AMIC
I pity men who feel that they have to stop doing something they like or stop driving a particular car just because women also like it too. Do things because YOU want to do them and stop worrying about your image or what others may think of you. Who cares if you have the same interests as a woman. That's what makes good relationships. My husband and I are a match made in heaven because we have so much in common.

You will never see me with a yellow ribbon, american flag, or any soccer paraphernalia. And if themainevent wants to mod her car, let her do what she wants. My car will be what I want it to be. Whether I choose to leave a lot of things stock is my personal preference. I'll do the things that I want and I won't do anything just because some guys on here are doing it or because I feel I have to impress someone. Stop the stereotyping.
Please learn to have a sense of humour. I said they were setereotypes from the get go, that is the whole point of this thread, stereotypes. I was carrying the humorous tone. I even poke fun at myself in the post saying my car is similar to the second stereotype.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I find it very hard to have a sense of humor about issues like this. It is obvious that the person who started this thread was serious when he posed this question. And just because you preface your comments with " I don't mean to cause offense" doesn't excuse you.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Kinda my thought, too.............basically, what difference does it make? You like the car, you drive the car.....'nuff said.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Cold Racketeer

I find it very hard to have a sense of humor about issues like this. It is obvious that the person who started this thread was serious when he posed this question. And just because you preface your comments with " I don't mean to cause offense" doesn't excuse you.
okay
Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Wow someone sure lit a fire under AMIC. Ha, get it?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:46 PM
"Joe Cool"

Im in So. Cal and I see a pretty good mix of both.
I am 39 going on 21, and i bought this car for my wife, but guess who is driving it right now.

I am thinking of getting rid of my 02 Suburban LT and buying her something else so I can keep the TL, it's fun to drive.

However i do like to pull up in the TL next to another TL and see a hot looking chick. That's just an added bonus of driving this beautiful machine.

2004 Anthercite TL on 18's to match.
A-Spec body
Old 09-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Sorry to be so preachy, but it makes me angry when women are disrespected. The original poster's comments hurt in that he was implying that if a woman likes the car he has then there's something wrong with it and it's not good enough for him anymore. But then again I'm preaching to a board where 90% of the posters are men and they could care less.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Instructor

i have 2 female friends that drive wdp and redondo red and with so much of them "accessories" that ppl dont even notice that its a TL so many other stuff to look at.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:55 PM
"Joe Cool"

Sorry to be so preachy, but it makes me angry when women are disrespected. The original poster's comments hurt in that he was implying that if a woman likes the car he has then there's something wrong with it and it's not good enough for him anymore. But then again I'm preaching to a board where 90% of the posters are men and they could care less.

I give you mad props for great car selection.

You can count me out of that 90%.

I appreciate women and their opinions.
If they think the TL is a great car, (like my wife does) then more power to them.
The only mistake my wife made was letting me drive it. Ha , Ha.

Don't let others opinions get to you.
"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by tallfuq
i have 2 female friends that drive wdp and redondo red and with so much of them "accessories" that ppl dont even notice that its a TL so many other stuff to look at.
Yep, I have seen some ladies in some really tricked out TLs
Old 09-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No it just means your gay because like to hold onto a all the time when you drive. I like to keep my hand on my girl.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by bigman606
Hells yeh. That's one thing you got in common if not anything.
I think this happens with a lot of cars. This issue came up with Accord coupes before. I did use to see alot of females in accords but didn't bother me.
I dont see too many females in TL's here in MD. and if i do, they are no where near my age. They are definitely in their mid 30's and have a kid or two
Old 09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Geez... my poor redondo red TL is getting labeled a mom color

But in my opinion, TL drivers seem to be quite diverse in terms of age, ethnicity and sex.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

Well, I'm a guy but I live in a small town, so I don't see many other TLs, I think there's only one other 3G in town... just seen it parked except for one time I saw a woman driving it I think- white, no body kit or anything.

BUT, silver, A-Spec body kit, tinted windows (mine)... not a chick car. But if they like it... that's OK! I don't think it matters much, honestly. I like my car, and that's what matters to me!

FWIW, I'm a single guy in my mid-20s... don't know where I fall on the scale of TL drivers, but I am what I am!

Quick Reply: Anyone else feeling like the TL is morphing into a "chick" car?