3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good aftermarket rear shock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024 | 01:15 PM
Racer

Any good aftermarket rear shock?

One of My 2007 TL rear shocks is leaking and I could feel the slight squeak noise. EricTheCarGuy had a YouTube showing how to replace them and he recommended OEM shock. Wonder if any aftermarket part is as good. Acura discontinued the whole shock assembly. Thanks
Old 07-14-2024 | 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

KYB from rockauto? They come without the springs tho so you would need to swap them or give them to the shop.
Old 07-14-2024 | 04:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peter6
KYB from rockauto? They come without the springs tho so you would need to swap them or give them to the shop.
I know but it’s too much a hassle to swap the coil springs. I can’t have my car sitting on the street without wheels and shocks for days while running around to swap springs at the shops. That is not an option for me.

What about FCS from rockauto?

Last edited by VictorTL; 07-14-2024 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2024 | 12:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VictorTL
I know but it’s too much a hassle to swap the coil springs. I can’t have my car sitting on the street without wheels and shocks for days while running around to swap springs at the shops. That is not an option for me.

What about FCS from rockauto?
One of the regulars here mentioned his mechanic saying the FCS strut was great and used them on all of his Honda/Acuras. I did not use them but I'm sure they're fine as an OEM replacement especially for the price.
Old 07-15-2024 | 10:00 AM
Jmr

What are are good shock assembly replacements for tl 2004 manual?
Old 07-16-2024 | 11:31 AM
Racer

Does a 2007 TL Type S rear shock fit 2007 TL regular?
Old 07-16-2024 | 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VictorTL
Does a 2007 TL Type S rear shock fit 2007 TL regular?
yes but different dampening

https://www.google.com/search?client...Aacurazine.com
Old 07-16-2024 | 02:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
thanks! Stiffer?
Old 07-17-2024 | 01:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmriley
What are are good shock assembly replacements for tl 2004 manual?
I just installed Koni Orange (STR.T) and they are a great upgrade over OEM while being less than half the cost of Yellows.
Old 08-11-2024 | 12:37 AM
Drifting

I got the front and rear Koni orange shocks for the front and rear. The fronts do not seem to have as much damping as the KYB. But the rears are slightly more damping than the KYB.
THe rear konis require 1 washer to be installed on the lower mount because they are not wide enough where the bolt goes through. So you have to use at least 1 washer to fill in the gap. They give you 2 per shock.
I guess the shock is a "universal" shock for other honda's.

When I compared my new FRONT Koni Orange shocks to the KYB Fronts.. The KYB's were clearly stiffer. My Used front KYBs were much harder to press in and much slower to expand. I was surprised the front KYBs were firmer. So I retained those and just changed out those horrible Eibach srpings. Eibachs are REALLY WEAK springs. But anyway, I have Kyb on the front and Koni orange on the rear. At least so far. I may change it but I do not think I will. My final decision will wbe made late next week because I ordered 1 new KYB front shock because I messed up 1 KYB by damaging the little "tab" on the side of the shock. That tab is what holds the shock in place and supposedly keeps it from sping. So I am replacing it. When I receive the new shock next week I will RECHECK the damping on the NEW Kyb (Front) to the New Koni Orange (Front). So I will double check what I already confirmed with my used ones. I have no reason the think my findings will be any different. So! I may have some Front Koni Orange's for sale. And some eibach springs.

side note: IMO, These TL's dont do well when lowered. I just installed the TYPE-S springs front and rear and they are more firm than EIBACH by a long shot. It is higher, but it is Firmer too. You can even see it in the windings on the springs. The Eibachs were horrible on bumps. And since they were WEAK (low Spring rate), I dont even think the Koni orange rear's have enough damping for the eibach rear springs. Because I tested it. And it was like the ass end was just dragging around and any bumps kept hitting the bump stops. Just crazy and very little control. See, I did have the Tein S-tech on the rear in combination with the KYB rear shocks. But it was just too low. So I installed the Eibachs on the rear and used the Koni orange on the rear, rather than the KYB. I think the rear KYB and Koni oranges are pretty close to the same but the koni may be slightly firmer.. But I used the Koni mainly because they were new. So anyway, I removed the TeinStech and just for trial, I installed the eibachs on the koni orange on the rear and it kept bottoming out. But not because of the shock. It was them dang eibachs. So I just redid the rear AGAIN today and installed the TypeS springs and the Koni orange on the rear. And it is much firmer now than what it was with the eibachs for sure. As far as the Tein springs goes, well, those are low and hangle bumps beetter than Eibach.. But for some reason, the TEin does not bottom out. But considering I had the Tein on the back and eibachs on the front, It was not a good combination. It was way too soft in the front and very little travel in the rear and nether one really handled bumps very well. So I got off ALL those Crap springs and went back to OEM. And honestly, its more firm now than ever before. And it handled bumps so I dont have to slow down so much and I dont get that big CRINGE when I hit a big bump...

By the way... Swapping the SPRINGS fron Shock to Shock on the rear is a lot easier than the front. Because the front shocks have to be compressed. I was able to Push down with my weight on the top hat enough to release pressure to take off the retaining screw off the top. I weigh about 165. So I did not have to use spring compressors. You dont have to "drive around to a shop to get them swapped." But stil, if you consider the Whole job of changing the rear shocks vs. the front.. then the Rears are much harder in my opinion. You have to remove the sway bar link, the upper control arm, you have to align the lower bolt.. And unless you remove all that stuff, it doesnt like to align. Plus the rear seat and rear deck has to come out. Then after you drop the rear shock, you still have to finagle that shock in the right postiion to pull it out from the wheel well. Its jsut a total PITA haha I hate the rear.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 08-11-2024 at 12:51 AM.