Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anthracite Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anthracite Owners

I just got the OEM body kit on and it seems like the kit is darker than the bumper. Does anyone else have this problem. I bought it from a out of state dealership.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcuraTL2k4
I just got the OEM body kit on and it seems like the kit is darker than the bumper. Does anyone else have this problem. I bought it from a out of state dealership.
Check out this thread in the Photograph Section...

Member Plastikman has an AM with Body kit and his pics also show the difference...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=color

I am actually even unhappy about my Bumper colors on the AM they look way different from certain angles...I guess it is just the color characteristic on different materials...
Old 04-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

That is how mine looks. I have a tri color AM TL. I've never seen anything like this on a "LUXURY" car. Acura needs to get there shit straight if they want to compete with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Pre-existing problem with the 2G TL. Blame the tree-huggers, not the car companies.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

I have the same issue. The difference in color is bad enough that I was shocked when I picked up the car after the A-Spec installation, couldn't believe a technician would even proceed having seen the difference in color. The service guy I spoke to seemed sympathetic, yet offered that a we might expect a slightly different shade on painted metal. The problem with that explanation is that neither the bumper cover or body kit are made of metal. There are 3 distinct colors, fenders, bumper cover and body kit. The difference between fender and bumper cover is subtle, not ideal, but tolerable.

My dealer also installed the wrong spoiler when they installed the A-Spec, so they can't just ignore me entirely. I met the service manager 2 days ago and he acknowledged that the difference is considerable and was surprised. Other color TLs don't seem to have such variance in color, and if all Anthracite body kits are the same shade, perhaps they've never noticed or had anyone complain.

My dealer has ordered another body kit to see if they're all the same issue - if so, I expect they'll tell me they can't do anything. In that case, I intend escalating this to Acura. I have a 20-year relationship (as a vendor ) with American Honda in Torrance and hope my contacts can help direct me in finding resolution.

As it stands, my $40K car looks like it was pieced together from various pieces-parts. I bought an A-Spec from the get-go, not as an afterthought or add-on, so in my mind, they've got my money, and I didn't get what I ordered and paid for. When shelling out $40K for a new car, Acura's claimed "color match" (which is what's advertised in their literature and what I should reasonably expect) is far from being accurate. Since the A-Spec is dealer-installed, you take delivery and schedule the install afterward - the dealers insist on this. If not, I would NOT have written the check or accepted delivery of a tri-color car at this, or any other price point.

If I can't find resolution through Acura, I likely won't drop it. I'll be taking a trip to the local junk yard to get an AMC Gremlin Hood, a fender from a Ford Pinto, trunk lid from a Yugo and a bumper from a Matador. I'll sloppily duct tape the misc. parts to my new tri-color TL and park in front of the dealerships on weekends. In doing so, I will exercise my freedom of speech, handing out flyers to prospective customers to let them know what to expect.

If that fails, I will consider pursuing other avenues, and if all else fails, I'll have the body kit parts painted myself - I won't leave it as it is, it looks silly.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Advanced

socalshyguy, I saw an a-spec at the dealer in the show room and the AM colors didn't match at all, the kit "seemed lighter" to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thaita78
socalshyguy, I saw an a-spec at the dealer in the show room and the AM colors didn't match at all, the kit "seemed lighter" to me.
Then there's hope for me!

My body kit parts are darker than the rest of the car.
Maybe Acura's quality control in paint is off - and I might get a set that matches better.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slightly darker

My AM body kit is slightly darker than the rest of the car. I wonder which will fade more over time?