3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another stupid towing thread :P With fresh questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Another stupid towing thread :P With fresh questions.

so i've been daydreaming for quite some time about,,,,hauling a 30ft airstream with the TL

then these came to my mind

and

soooo forget the camper haha

I've seen people tow 2 sea doos, motorcycles, and those sure did look like it weighed more than 2000lbs so..... here are the questions

1. is there a class 2 (3500lbs) hitch availble for 3G TL?
fineprint : i've only came across bunch of class 1 that requires drilling, but maybe same design class 2 hitch + weld a few steel rods to the tow hook in the back,,,,,?!

2. the forum has award me the information for 4pin trailer light harness exists for our cars. but is there a BRAKE controller? (6-7pin)
fineprint : is it possible to retrofit some ridgeline brake controller into TL?

3. just out of curiosity(read : stupidity) would the bumper rail be able to hold class 2 weight and tug&push motion of the trailer?
fineprint : i'd guess it'd be fine when braking (trailer pushing into the car) but it's probably not engineered to take the tug,,, is it?

okay egg me tomato me but it DOES seem like a pretty good idea to just get a beater pickup truck and tow.... but i'm still curious what i can do with TL (less money than truck anyways)

thanks to all those who read/replied, in advance

Last edited by 4drviper; 08-17-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: added 2nd vid
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
... Seriously?

The TL's designed maximum towing capacity is 0lbs.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sigh... Don't let people bully you. 99% of people who will respond have never towed with the car. Yes the designed towing capacity is 0 pounds. However yes you can tow with it. Don't drive like and idiot and you'll be fine. I towed 1000 lbs easily. It is not a normal tow vehicle. I have a F250 that is my tow vehicle but I know how to tow and when it was down I used the acura. You will be ok just watch the tongue weight.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
that cant be too good for the glass 5AT or even the 6MT.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To answer all your questions also:

1: There is NO class 2 hitch available. Only Class 1. You need to remember the hitch is being attached to the tow hook mainly and then to sheet metal of the trunk for support.

2: 4 pin trailer wiring is direct plug in, it is what I have. You could always run a trailer brake that connects in BUT if you need trailer brakes the load is already wayyyy over what you should be towing

3: look at number 1 above

Truck is definately the way to go. My main tow vehicle is an F250. I used the TL for a single 200 mile round trip with about a 1000 lb trailer plus some cargo in the trunk. I would absolutely do it again but NOT everyday.

I should also mention I have the Type S with a 6 Speed manual. I don't think the slightly larger engine would make a difference, but the brakes and manual trans may from a stock TL
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb92
... Seriously?

The TL's designed maximum towing capacity is 0lbs.
yes i'm friggin serious go kart vroooommmmmmmmmmm more like vraaaaaaaaaaoooeeeee lol
rotax FTW!!

Originally Posted by ez12a
that cant be too good for the glass 5AT or even the 6MT.
07 has RL transmission plus i have cooler plus amsoil F and i'll take care of it.

Originally Posted by Andy07KBP
Sigh... Don't let people bully you. 99% of people who will respond have never towed with the car. Yes the designed towing capacity is 0 pounds. However yes you can tow with it. Don't drive like and idiot and you'll be fine. I towed 1000 lbs easily. It is not a normal tow vehicle. I have a F250 that is my tow vehicle but I know how to tow and when it was down I used the acura. You will be ok just watch the tongue weight.
I have a habit of drive like a grandma (most of the time) and just got avg 25mpg across London (ontario) no traffic
(you know, anticipate stop, brake slowly over long distance to avoid stop-and-go, accelrate gently blah blah blah)
lightweigth 800lbs trailer + 2 gokart + tools?! should be fine i guess (dis-disclaimer(?) : i'm not holding you responsible even if things go kaboom lol)

Originally Posted by Andy07KBP
I should also mention I have the Type S with a 6 Speed manual. I don't think the slightly larger engine would make a difference, but the brakes and manual trans may from a stock TL
longer stroke (assuming same tranny ratio) = powwerrrrrrrrrrr (that's what she said)

i'll use gentle engine brake, try to lock up the converter in lower gear(in addition to installed tranny cooler) + have faith in EBC yellowstuff marketing of 800degrees temp endurance lol

thank you i'm pretty clear what i wanna do now.
fineprint : now i can buy a REAL bed knowing i'll have something i can move it with lolol

Last edited by 4drviper; 08-17-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Not to break balls but if you wanted to have a vehicle to tow something with a TL is the wrong choice. I mean c'mon let's be serious here. Buy a truck if you need a tow vehicle. But if you want to be that tool bag on the highway towing something behind your car by all means...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
How much weight do you actually plan on towing?

Since the TL has no tow rating (not recommended) and no combined gross vehicle weight rating, the only thing you can really go by is the gross vehicle weight rating to determine what's safe.

The TL's GVWR is about 4400 lbs, or about 1000lbs above the curb weight. Subtract out your weight as the driver and you're left with around 700-850lbs. As long as your trailer weighs less than this, you should be fine. If it weighs more, then you're exceeding the GVWR and you could risk damage, particularly to the transmission.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by splew
How much weight do you actually plan on towing?

Since the TL has no tow rating (not recommended) and no combined gross vehicle weight rating, the only thing you can really go by is the gross vehicle weight rating to determine what's safe.

The TL's GVWR is about 4400 lbs, or about 1000lbs above the curb weight. Subtract out your weight as the driver and you're left with around 700-850lbs. As long as your trailer weighs less than this, you should be fine. If it weighs more, then you're exceeding the GVWR and you could risk damage, particularly to the transmission.
well if i can somehow safely attach a sturdy 300lbs hitch to the back of the car, then i'll accelerate slower than the "designed" driving and end up with same tensile stress(?) on the car, i think