3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Lower Grill Variation (Modification)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
definently need a write up!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
looks great -- where do you get that gutter guard mesh and the rest of your supplies?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
looks great -- where do you get that gutter guard mesh and the rest of your supplies?
Hi Pete,
I purchased everything from home depot.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For you NBP owners... if you were to do this mod, what color would you paint the mesh?.. if you painted it at all? Would paint it black.. or just leave it the silver mesh color?

Oh.. and 05TLTony - Beautiful job.. looks professional! I think you've inspired a bunch of folks on this site... Acura of Peabody, Huh? I got mine up in North Hampton (Clair Acura). How do you like them? My sales guy was a complete a$$h0l3..
Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 PM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by dsc888
Gotta agree with everyone else. The mod looks terrific. It's clean and looks practically OEM with excellent fit.

dsc888
Adding to the praise
Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
For you NBP owners... if you were to do this mod, what color would you paint the mesh?.. if you painted it at all? Would paint it black.. or just leave it the silver mesh color?

Oh.. and 05TLTony - Beautiful job.. looks professional! I think you've inspired a bunch of folks on this site... Acura of Peabody, Huh? I got mine up in North Hampton (Clair Acura). How do you like them? My sales guy was a complete a$$h0l3..
Thanks. My salesman was pretty good actually. He followed up on me for about 3 weeks after I purchased the car.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i couldnt find a gutter section in my local home depot =( even the employees couldnt understand what i was talking about.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by XjoEnX
i couldnt find a gutter section in my local home depot =( even the employees couldnt understand what i was talking about.
It's for the rain gutters that are on a house to collect the rain. The mesh is put on to keep leaves and stuff out of the gutters so they don't clog up. I am not sure if they sell the gutters there, but they do sell this mesh for them.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
great job, looks good!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by XjoEnX
Ask for gutter guard. They should be able to help. My home depot sells it.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
big thanks to ron & poo! ill be out looking for them again today.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I slow down for COPS

Talking

Ok, I was trying to do it and in the process of cutting out the middle bars, cut myself . You really need the dremel tool, I guess. I guess I will be getting it tonight.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Shift_faster

^ What were you using to cut them? I don't have a dremel myself.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I slow down for COPS

I used snips to cut them off and then a blade to shave off what was left. I did 3 or 4 of them that way, but that was a pain and a bleed. So, I will try the dremel.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

I like it...!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:45 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokius
That looks great... I would do that same thing, and I would definently do it in black mesh. How much were all the parts, and how hard was the installation? The slit across looks great, please fill us all in, alot of people are going to want to do this...
I wanna do it in black.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:09 AM
I slow down for COPS

Unhappy Just finished mine

I just finished doing mine (actually they are still curing). I have to say that for now I am a little disappointed.

The reason behind it: I do not know what I was expecting, but no matter what tool you use (I bought the dremel especially for that), you will be able to tell where the cuts are from the removed bars. It is not bad, but if you get real close, you can tell.

But on the other hand, from 5-6 feet away, you cannot tell they are not some expensive grills but cheap conversion.

The concept is great, but the cuts will have to grow on me and I will have to get used to them.

Otherwise, praise to the inventor for them. From the distance, they will look good.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:12 AM
I slow down for COPS

Also, I do not want to sound critical to the person who came up with the idea. Afterall, I did not come up with anything better. on me.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
I just finished doing mine (actually they are still curing). I have to say that for now I am a little disappointed.

The reason behind it: I do not know what I was expecting, but no matter what tool you use (I bought the dremel especially for that), you will be able to tell where the cuts are from the removed bars. It is not bad, but if you get real close, you can tell.

But on the other hand, from 5-6 feet away, you cannot tell they are not some expensive grills but cheap conversion.

The concept is great, but the cuts will have to grow on me and I will have to get used to them.

Otherwise, praise to the inventor for them. From the distance, they will look good.
Opps, I forgot to tell you to use the sanding piece on the dremel to sand the cut remainings down and paint that section black again. I apologize for this.
Tony
Old 09-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Dr. Feelgood

also, silicone chaulk in between the chrome part and plastic horizontal piece will make it stick better than the double sided tape that comes with the chrome strip.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:30 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
Opps, I forgot to tell you to use the sanding piece on the dremel to sand the cut remainings down and paint that section black again. I apologize for this.
Tony
Yeah, I did the sanding, I did not do the painting. I did not want to paint the entire plastic and I figured that otherwise, it will show. It is really not bad, I do not know why I was expecting a piece that woud look like there was nothing there before. Just my stupidity
Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
The mesh looks great!! I've been thinking of doing it as well, however, I've heard that mesh can disrupt airflow to the intake. Is this true?
That's some pretty "airy" mesh... I highly doubt it would cause any issues... That being said... It may trap more leaves in the fall... Just keep an eye on it and it will be good to go.

LOOKS FREAKIN AWESOME btw....
Old 09-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't find white door trim anywhere for my WDP. I tried spraypainting clear door trim with plastic spray paint but it looked a lil iffy when I put it on so I took it back off. It's also a little hard to get the door trim to be just the right size and mesh with the front bumper at the end where it's curved.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
I can't find white door trim anywhere for my WDP. I tried spraypainting clear door trim with plastic spray paint but it looked a lil iffy when I put it on so I took it back off. It's also a little hard to get the door trim to be just the right size and mesh with the front bumper at the end where it's curved.
You could buy some touch up paint and paint the grille inserts. PITA yes, but possible.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
Mark,
How did you detach the lower grill from the bumper? Did you have to take the whole bumper off the car? It seems like the grill is attached by a couple of clips. Any help would be much appreciated!
Mark
Oh no, do not take the bumper off. Each grill just pops off with 4 clips on top and 4 clips on bottom. Much smaller and easier to work with.

Also, I would recommend painting the grill AFTER the mesh installation. Let the JB weld cure and then mask the mash and paint the grill. Looks cleaner and any JB weld (gray stuff) that spills over to the outer side of the grill (from the back) would be painted over.

Good luck, Mark.

P.S. Also as to the airflow. After you take the grills out, you will see that there is so much plastic behind it that would decrease airflow, that the mesh should not be an issue at all.

IT IS A REPLY TO A PRIVATE MESSAGE I GOT.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I slow down for COPS

It Is An Awasome Mode

Actually after painting and installation, THE GRILL LOOLS AWASOME.

My regrets are gone.

I also skiped the extra chrome piece across the front. I felt it was too much for me. I will try to do the main upper grill over the weekend too.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how about some pictures mark?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:35 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Lokius
how about some pictures mark?
Like I have mentioned before, I will try to take some over the weekend. I want to do the upper grille first (hope to).

I had to leave my car at the dealership today while I was picking up cars to work on (putting the clear bras on). I hope to pick it back up late Saturday or sometime Sunday.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
being that the grills easily pop out with the clips...is it possible that someone could do this for a price and then mail it and send it to someone and then it can easily popped back in? i smell a group buy or a service of some sort...
Old 09-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Racer

Not trying to sound ignorant, but how the hell do these things pop out? Where are the clips on them? I tried to pop them out from the front, but to no avail. Any pics would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I couldn't find anything in the service manual, but here is a picture of the lower grill (they call it mesh in the parts list). I don't think they are separate clips, it looks like they snap into the bumper and you push on them to get the mesh loose.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I slow down for COPS

Talking

crawl under your car and look at the grilles from the back you will see 4 clips on the bottom and 4 on top. You can really seee only two, but if you put your hand further, you can feel them and pop 'em up.

good luck, mark.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
being that the grills easily pop out with the clips...is it possible that someone could do this for a price and then mail it and send it to someone and then it can easily popped back in? i smell a group buy or a service of some sort...
From what I have read that really can't be done, because 05tl tony took the grills out and put JB weld on the car itself not the grill, I had to pop myine off just now to really understand what he did. The only part I don't understand is why he used the galvinized wiring? I could see that there would be a lot of cuting, because you have to cut the mesh where the clips go into the car. My TL is wdp so I am not sure what color mesh I am going to go with.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:06 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by flvol77
The only part I don't understand is why he used the galvinized wiring?
To temp. keep the mesh close to the plastic grille while the JB weld cures.

At least that is what I did.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 AM
Racer

Awsome, thanks guys!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Instructor

i just went and took mines out its not easy but put ur hands under the bumper and u will feel it just loosen the bottom four and yank out the top four it feels like its going to break but the clips seem pretty thick it wont break now cuttin them bitches is a hard work i just cut one off took 10mins im just goin to take it to my friends doctors office and tell him to saw it with the thing they use to cut the cast
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by flvol77
From what I have read that really can't be done, because 05tl tony took the grills out and put JB weld on the car itself not the grill, I had to pop myine off just now to really understand what he did. The only part I don't understand is why he used the galvinized wiring? I could see that there would be a lot of cuting, because you have to cut the mesh where the clips go into the car. My TL is wdp so I am not sure what color mesh I am going to go with.
flvo177
I did not put the JB weld on the car itself, I took off the lower grill dam section. It would be most difficult to leave it in the bumper and try to cut the horizontal bars off because you have to make cuts in front and back of the grill piece. The galvinize wire was to hold the mes to the grill molding (piece so that it will not move around while the JB weld was curing.

Ron
way back, i found a website where they sell the grill piece replacements for around $6.95 each but forgot what site. I'll let you know if I find it again.

As for everyone else, I will be doing the same to my friends car on Wed so I will post pics and instructions.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
Oh no, do not take the bumper off. Each grill just pops off with 4 clips on top and 4 clips on bottom. Much smaller and easier to work with.

Also, I would recommend painting the grill AFTER the mesh installation. Let the JB weld cure and then mask the mash and paint the grill. Looks cleaner and any JB weld (gray stuff) that spills over to the outer side of the grill (from the back) would be painted over.

Good luck, Mark.

P.S. Also as to the airflow. After you take the grills out, you will see that there is so much plastic behind it that would decrease airflow, that the mesh should not be an issue at all.

IT IS A REPLY TO A PRIVATE MESSAGE I GOT.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by tzakiel
tzakiel,
the chrome door trim will not fit the entire width of the center piece of the grill. I had to cut it where it ended with the grill and meeted with the bumper.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Dr. Feelgood

FYI,
for those of you doing this mod, please measure the mesh against the plastic grill from the car before cutting the horizontal bars. The reason being is that once you cut the horizontal bars, the integrety is compromised and you will have fitment issues later on when installing.

Quick Reply: Another Lower Grill Variation (Modification)