3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Insurance dilemma...Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:20 PM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
hahahahah i fell out of my chair lol
Old 09-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Sorry Qman for derailing your thread.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
My father and I are both co-owners of the TL. He is 64, I am 21. He is retired, I am a student full time and we've classified the car as to/from work/school under 7500 miles per year and full coverage insurance. I believe my deductible was 500 collision, 250 comprehensive and coverages were 50/100 or something along those lines.
is the car paid off? why does it need to be in your name.. if you have it under a different person, someone that is older then insurance would be less. The fact that you have points on your record is not good and also you are under 25.

I've been with Allstate for about 3 years now with the TL and with a couple cars before it. Its always been reasonably cheap and my last premium was $500ish for 6 months (I always pay in full).
it was cheap because you or your dad didnt have accidents or points on record. its normal for rate to go up that high given that you and your dad accumulated so much points in such a short time + a at fault accident

Here comes the bad news though.
My dad got pulled over in March of 2011 and was given 3 tickets. Cop was kind of an asshole; my dad hasn't had a single ticket in 20 years and they hit him with following too closely, speeding, and no seat belt.
that is 2 moving violations on your dad's part.

Also in February 2011 I got hit with a speeding ticket and disregarding a highway sign, and in May 2011 I rear ended someone.
thats 2 points on your part + a accident that is your fault.

Then in December 2011, someone rear ended me and my dumbass decided to report it to my insurance company. They did nothing because the other person's insurance paid out.

In June 2012 someone backed into my car, and my dumbass again decided to report it to my insurance and they did nothing because the other person's insurance paid out.
if the other parties insurance paid out to you, then these accidents do not affect your driving record.

Now that it was time to renew, Allstate quoted me something like $1450 for 6 months. FUCKING RIDICULOUS?! I shopped around, and State Farm wouldn't insure me and Geico quoted me $1800.
since you and your dad are listed as owners of the car the insuarnce agency will run both of your driving records. The insurance quote will be based on both owners of the car. Your dad has 2 points and you have 2 points + at fault accident.

I'm kind of all out of options. I kind of waited until the last minute so I was forced to insure my car at those rates for the month of September while I find a good solution. I paid 179$ for liability for the month of September.
what do you expect after 4 points and 1 at fault accident???
The way I see it is I don't have many options. I could sell the TL and buy a beater car with only liability coverage, but with the amount of time/money I've invested especially this past summer, its kind of a out of the question. I could try to get insurance on my own without my dad, but I doubt that would be any cheaper.

I also spoke with my sister and asked if she would insure my car. I would "Sell" it to her, basically transfer the car into her name, and she would register and insure it as her third car. I could drive it as normal and if anything happened technically I would be borrowing her car. Anyone see any problems with this? For me it seems like the best solution but I don't know if there is any sort of loophole or law I'm unaware of.

For me , i have several points on my record right now that needs to be cleared up. My car is under my father name as i do not have a good driving record. With my insurance company, i pay about 1050 yearly with full coverage, 500 deductible and 100/300 coverage. My father has a good driving record 25+ years without even a ticket and plus hes 52. Per rules of my insurance company, anyone that does not live in the house that the insurance is registered under will have 1 time coverage, after an accident, you are obligated to add the driver that got into a accident to the insurance or they will be listed as a non-authorized driver. I advised my insurance company that i do not live under the same house as my father and gave them my older brothers address.

So right now, car is under my fathers name, i pay 1050 for full coverage and as much speeding tickets i get, it will still not affect my insurance rates. So far for 2 years and still going, it worked fine for me.

buying a cheaper car will not work to your benefit either.. your driving record will still be there, your rates will still be high even with a cheap car.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
EPIC post potz !!!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I was paying approximately $3000 a year for liability only on my 77 Cutlass back in 1994-1995. This was on a car that I paid less than $1500 for. It was clearly a result of me being 17 and invincible.

You are driving a TL paying less than that for full coverage. Remember, it may suck, but it could always be worse!! I'd recommend submitting tickets to a lawyer, but you either pay now with the lawyer or pay later with the insurance hike.

My little brother drove like more of an idiot than even I did. He had new tickets every week to prove it. He has a good lawyer, who now has a beautiful addition to his house thanks to my brother's financial compensation. My brother has cheap insurance. It's all a trade off...

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Damn I fucking hate NJ.. I pay $1530 every 6 months for my TL. Full coverage and using State Farm w/clean record. (No points).
This was me until I moved out of Hudson County. My rates dropped instantly when I moved out jersey city
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Geez with all these rates going up I feel LUCKY!! I have NJ Manufacturers Insurance. I pay $900 for the year with full coverage, and only pay 9 months out of the year!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Is this even a serious post? You got 4 tickets and were involved in one at fault accident and you are wondering why your insurance went up???? LOLOL
Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Is this even a serious post? You got 4 tickets and were involved in one at fault accident and you are wondering why your insurance went up???? LOLOL

Wow dude, you never fail to come up with douchey posts, and then you PM me asking for help all the time. LOLOL

I didn't ask WHY I have high insurance, I asked what for advice on options to seek.

Reading>You

And it was 2 tickets, 1 accident.

Reading>you.

BTW. At least I own my car...I'd bet the money in my pocket you don't own any of "your" 3 luxury cars that "You" "mod"

GTFO.
The following users liked this post:
McCollins23 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by quanaman
Wow dude, you never fail to come up with douchey posts, and then you PM me asking for help all the time. LOLOL

I didn't ask WHY I have high insurance, I asked what for advice on options to seek.

Reading>You

And it was 2 tickets, 1 accident.

Reading>you.

BTW. At least I own my car...I'd bet the money in my pocket you don't own any of "your" 3 luxury cars that "You" "mod"

GTFO.
Uh it was 4. Speeding, and your dad got 3. Thats 4. Actually 5 since you got 2. Your dads insurance affects you as well since your on the same insurance.

Keep hating about the cars, you always love to bring that up. At least I am a much better driver then you LOL. Stop rear ending people and slow down, maybe you won't have this problem in the future.

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 09-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
claim that you are self insured until rates drop back down to normal.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Selling the car and buying another car isn't really going to do you much. Liability only for this or another car should be same..

Don't worry about who the owner of the car is. Leave the way it is under, you and your fathers name.

Shop around for other car insurance and put down yourself as the ONLY OWNER AND ONLY DRIVER. Don't even put your wife yet... REMEMBER ONLY YOU..

Stay away from that putting it under your sisters name.. Don't ruin the relationship lol..
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Pro

I pay 1652 6 Months for Coverage for my TL

and 1101 for my scion.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman
I understand. Its hard to make any general sort of statements about if your premiums go lower or not based on age, tickets, etc because as everyone knows, theres a million different factors, down where you live, if your car has ABS or not, and even good student discounts and other BS.

Bottom line is insurance companies are thieves

Anyways. My main question is if I can register my car under my sisters name, under her insurance, and drive it myself. I don't see there being any sort of legal problem with this because if anything happens I could have just been borrowing the car, and it will be under full coverage so I doubt the insurance company could deny anything. I would say its better to do that and pay less than 300$ for 6 months full coverage than pay 179$ PER MONTH for liability and run the risk of totaling the car and being basically SOL.

Input?
I would change ownership over to your sister and have her list you as a driver on the policy, would it be as cheap as it is now..... no way but likely cheaper than what you were quoted and keep you covered since your the primary driver.

FWIW, I pay $2300 yearly @24 in NY 100/300 and all the other insurance bells and whistles with 1 moving violation in the last 6 months.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wojo1988
Well that sucks for you Americans, but turning 21 and 25 in Canada DOES lower your insurance rates
two things, it doesn't suck cause
1) they pay way lower rates, OP is complaining about his increased rates, i pay that regular with clean record at 21 years old.
2) it doesn't lower right when you turn 25, maybe if you've had you're license since you were 16. but if you've only had insurance when your were lets say 21, you're grid level wouldn't be where it is to be lowered at the age of 25
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^its probably not from turning 25, swoosh.

the longer you are with a company and with no tickets accidents, the lower your premiums go.
every insurance is different as well, swoosh.
my rates were getting lowered automatically, JUST FOR BEING WITH THEM.
then once i hit 25 as my policy renewed, it didnt get any lower.
Agreed. I did not see any big decrease in my premiums when I turned 25. Just a steady slight decrease in my premiums every 6 months when my policy renewed assuming I hadn't moved. Huge jump down when I moved out of the city back to the burbs.

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
I've been insured with USAA since I was 15. I couldn't count how many tickets I've had and suspensions from speeding. I pay $121 a month
That is because USAA is f'ing awesome for car insurance...if you qualify for it. If they had decent rates for home owners insurance, I would be with them.

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
correct.........................
however,...getting married does.
That depends on how old you are when you get married. Getting married at an early age (pre-25) will for sure get you lower insurance...but more headaches. Getting married after 30 gets you ZERO discounts.

OP, transferring to your sister may work and it may not. In theory it may be considered insurance fraud. Someone who knows the laws and regulations for your state will need to chime in here.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
dont want to say this but you have to pay for what you done. transfer the car to your sister doesn't help and the insurance can opt out not to pay for the damage if you are not listed as the driver in case of any accidents
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raising your deductibles can save you some money. Since i have no accidents and a good job, deductibles at $1000 lands me at paying $69/month for my TL-S.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 AM
A6 and TL

FYI registering the car in someone elses name but being the primary driver is insurance fraud. If you are thinking about selling the TL and getting another car because your insurance went up $1000 for 6 months maybe the TL is not the car for you?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 AM
**The Catfish**

FYI registering the car in someone elses name but being the primary driver is insurance fraud.

this is an example of a helpful post...

If you are thinking about selling the TL and getting another car because your insurance went up $1000 for 6 months maybe the TL is not the car for you?

this is another example of a douche post ... you want to give advice, allright cool, thanks for your help, but leave it at that. Youre not cooler than anyone else because you act like a dick.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
any one remember the threads where "RETARDED" was showing how he drove with VIDEO!?

LMAO.....
a good example of the pot calling the kettle BLACK.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by Sick TLS
this is an example of a helpful post...

this is another example of a douche post ... you want to give advice, allright cool, thanks for your help, but leave it at that. Youre not cooler than anyone else because you act like a dick.
I'm just returning the favor. I complained about gas prices and OP said the same thing to me.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 AM
**The Catfish**

^it has to stop somewhere. if must make you feel a whole lot better about youself to just perpetuate the douche. be helpful, thats fine as i said, but leave it at that. Youre not helping anyone by acting like a dick and you make people dislike you..
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM

holy shit !!! I love Azine

Q, have you tried or do you think any advice(s) on this thread is worth a try ???
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Try getting a quote through AAA. Theyre who I use and I only pay like $1400 a year for insurance at age 23 with tickets in the past.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
LMAO. This thread is win. From here on out I will be ignoring retarded posts by retarded fruits, including, but not limited to apples, oranges, grapes, pineapples, and the like.

Anyways.

Swoosh thanks for your advice. I thought of most of that already but even with raising my deductibles to 500/500 and lowering my coverages to 25/50 or something the $1450 was the quote I got.

I didn't really mean to say I can't afford that 1450$ for six months, I just meant that I don't want to pay that amount. I feel like its throwing money away if I can get it cheaper.

For the time being I'm looking at my options. Also debating on getting a dealer tag. I know a few dealers willing to rent them out for 200$/month with insurance. This means that I'd be paying 200$ a month for insurance, registration/tags, AND I have the added benefit of using the dealer tag on any car that I buy PLUS full access to dealer auctions. I've been exporting cars for a few years now but never had a dealer tag so this is pretty appealing.

Still debating though. The dealer tag typically only comes with liability insurance which puts me back at square one.

Last edited by quanaman; 09-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Q my last piece of advice would be "dont do anything stupid"....

know the pros and cons of the route you are taking...remember paying $1450 for 6 months is still a better deal than paying for the loss of the car(s)....hope everything works out for u buddy...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Pro

stay with the dealer plate lol... get me one too if you can
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the rates posted are just insane to me.

My rate dropped to 240.00 every 6 mths for full coverage.

I can't imagine paying more then 150/mth, just crazy...
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^If your listed as a driver your covered, no different than a parent adding their child to their insurance policy at least for my ins.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
OP I got question for you, when you got ticket why not having a lawyer or you go out to court begging them to don't make the ticket going to your driving record, my brother had the same dilemma 6 years ago he pay $4500 for 12 months premium and that just liability due to ticket and one reckless driving (no accident tho, however my dad is the owner on the title of the car back then had one accident and one speeding ticket). Then a close friend who own a body shop showed us how to get around it even just pay the amount on the ticket and it not going into driving record. I would looking into those insurance broker agency instead because they might get you a better price versus you go around and trying to call for quote since insurance data base is connected together, which mean when you call another company and trying to get quote they will pull up and see your current rate and they will offer you either $100-$200 less than a year or the other way around.