3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Insurance dilemma...Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Another Insurance dilemma...Advice needed.

Hey everyone.

I have a bit of an insurance dilemma. Here's some background info:

My father and I are both co-owners of the TL. He is 64, I am 21. He is retired, I am a student full time and we've classified the car as to/from work/school under 7500 miles per year and full coverage insurance. I believe my deductible was 500 collision, 250 comprehensive and coverages were 50/100 or something along those lines.

I've been with Allstate for about 3 years now with the TL and with a couple cars before it. Its always been reasonably cheap and my last premium was $500ish for 6 months (I always pay in full).

Here comes the bad news though.

My dad got pulled over in March of 2011 and was given 3 tickets. Cop was kind of an asshole; my dad hasn't had a single ticket in 20 years and they hit him with following too closely, speeding, and no seat belt.

Also in February 2011 I got hit with a speeding ticket and disregarding a highway sign, and in May 2011 I rear ended someone.

Then in December 2011, someone rear ended me and my dumbass decided to report it to my insurance company. They did nothing because the other person's insurance paid out.

In June 2012 someone backed into my car, and my dumbass again decided to report it to my insurance and they did nothing because the other person's insurance paid out.

Now that it was time to renew, Allstate quoted me something like $1450 for 6 months. FUCKING RIDICULOUS?! I shopped around, and State Farm wouldn't insure me and Geico quoted me $1800.

I'm kind of all out of options. I kind of waited until the last minute so I was forced to insure my car at those rates for the month of September while I find a good solution. I paid 179$ for liability for the month of September.

The way I see it is I don't have many options. I could sell the TL and buy a beater car with only liability coverage, but with the amount of time/money I've invested especially this past summer, its kind of a out of the question. I could try to get insurance on my own without my dad, but I doubt that would be any cheaper.

I also spoke with my sister and asked if she would insure my car. I would "Sell" it to her, basically transfer the car into her name, and she would register and insure it as her third car. I could drive it as normal and if anything happened technically I would be borrowing her car. Anyone see any problems with this? For me it seems like the best solution but I don't know if there is any sort of loophole or law I'm unaware of.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
what do you mean "insurance did nothing, other paid out?"

wtf does that mean!?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
TL-S

Originally Posted by justnspace
what do you mean "insurance did nothing, other paid out?"

wtf does that mean!?
I meant my insurance company did not have to cover the damages because the other person who hit my car had insurance and they accepted liability. Their insurance paid for the damages both times since it was their fault (I was rear ended once, and the other time the dude backed right into my car) It was hard for them not to accept the blame.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by quanaman
I meant my insurance company did not have to cover the damages because the other person who hit my car had insurance and they accepted liability. Their insurance paid for the damages both times since it was their fault (I was rear ended once, and the other time the dude backed right into my car) It was hard for them not to accept the blame.
So, when you said you were stupid for reporting these to the insurance, you really aren't!

the tickets are the main ones that increase prices.
in my state, tickets/at fault accidents stay on the record for 3 years.

I've had moving violations that increased my rates, but as soon as that 3 year mark hit, my rates started to decrease
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Wow. That sucks a duck. Hate to say it boss but it sounds like you're just going to have to take it. I'm not gonna tell you whether or not that's bad luck or bad judgement with all that crap happening in such a short time, but either way, it is what it is. You could try to fudge the system with having your sister insure it. I don't see anything legally wrong with it though. Of course, I don't work in the insurance industry either....
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Feb 2011, speeding ticket - I assume disregarding the posted speed limit highway sign =

Mar 2011, tailgating,speeding, no seat belt ticket

May 2011, You rear end someone.

Those are the reasons your premium increased. Whatever the reason behind it, they dont care. They now see you as a higher risk.

Also your not stupid for reporting it to your insurance. They would of found out anyway. You were being courteous.

getting a cheaper car isnt going to solve your dilemna. Your premium will still be high.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Having someone else insure your car is a sure way to get into trouble. If you're not listed a driver on the policy, its bad news. Also, if you ARE listed as a driver, the rate is going to raise.

Unfortunately there aren't many options for you to take: Have you tried getting a quote for a policy only on your name? With 3 accidents on your driving record within a year, your rate is likely going to be elevated for quite some time. Sorry :'(.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by losiglow
You could try to fudge the system with having your sister insure it. I don't see anything legally wrong with it though.

FYI: Your insurance company wont insure a person whose name isn't on the lein/title of the car. AND, even if you managed TO pull this off, if you have an accident where your insurance needs to cover the damages, if they find out you were driving it, chances are they aren't going to pay for it.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
First of all.... your kidding right?? 1450$ for 6 months you think its alot? Your thinking of selling the car because of this??

I live in Ontario Canada and im 23 with a clean record and I pay 282 a month for full coverage.

Thats considered average for me. So that is about 1700 for 6 months on a clean record. You really have your priorities wrong if this is what your complaining about. Move on up to Canada and pay our rates here.

You clearly got tickets... just face it and still continue to pay your insurance which is cheaper than all of ours up here
The following users liked this post:
Aman (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM
TL-S

I have family in Toronto (Westin rd & Jane st) and I'm well aware of how high insurance rates are there. My cousin actually works for TD.

However a 900$ increase is pretty damn ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

I have family in Toronto (Westin rd & Jane st) and I'm well aware of how high insurance rates are there. My cousin actually works for TD.

However a 900$ increase is pretty damn ridiculous.

We get raped up here on insurance it sucks. And up 900 over 6 months is not bad at all up here either lol. especially with all of the tickets you got.

When I had a bad driving record and paid stupid amounts I used it as a lesson to be better and more careful. Its just money that is being thrown away
Not much you can do at this point. Hope it all works out for you
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
You have a bad driving record. It sucks but it is what it is. You are considered "high risk" by insurance therefore you pay extra for that. Your dad isn't helping you other than the fact that he is "older and wiser" but you could try to see if you could take insurance in your own name. Doesn't hurt to get a quote. If you insure it under your sister and she leaves you out when they ask the question "will anyone else be driving this vehicle" yet you are and they find out through an accident or ticket while you are driving the best thing insurance could do is drop her and then she is screwed trying to insure her own vehicle. Worse case could be considered insurance fraud and she (and possibly you) could go to jail. Don't put your sister in that position.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You also need to realize, that you are 21 years old. If you are under 25 and have records (at-fault accident, speeding), your insurance company won't be your friend.

TL isn't expensive to insure anyways. I don't think getting another, less expensive, car will lower the premium significantly.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Since your dad got tickets in your car and you also had some bad misfortune, why doesn't he give you some money towards your car insurance? He did after all get 3 tickets which probably caused the rate to go significantly.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
I have positive points on my license, havent had a moving violation in 3 years (knock on wood), and my rate through USAA is 1100 every 6 months. I think they finally caught on to the rate they were giving you man. Something was wrong only paying 500 every 6 months. The tl is considered a "luxury sports sedan" and they charge rates accordingly i.e. all they see is "luxury" and "sports" and ignore sedan. I think those rates are pretty reasonable for you and your dad considering the tickets and mishaps man
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Damn I fucking hate NJ.. I pay $1530 every 6 months for my TL. Full coverage and using State Farm w/clean record. (No points).
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
**The Catfish**

^ state farm tried to charge me almost 1800 every six months bro. they are ridiculous. i cant wait to turn 25 in two months and see what happens to my premium
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sick TLS
^ state farm tried to charge me almost 1800 every six months bro. they are ridiculous. i cant wait to turn 25 in two months and see what happens to my premium
hate to break it to ya...
turning 25 doesnt lower your premium.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM
**The Catfish**

shhhhh!!! damnit justin
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
well u got hustled LOL....

my insurance was $700 for 6 months when i started off with the TL (in 2007)....I was 24 years old then....a year later when i turned 25, the insurance dropped to $550 for 6 months (2008)....it slowly kept dropping to $450/6months until last year when i got married (2011)....

wifey owns a 2003 Lexus ES and she pays $350/6 months....same coverage....

when i told GEICO i got married, i got a quote for $430/6 months for BOTH CARS (2011)....wifey was with StateFarm and I decided to jump boats after being with GEICO for 4.5 years....now we pay $414/6months for both cars (2012)...so yes, insurance goes down when you hit 25 and also when you get married....

Justn, hit up the insurance providers website that you are with, hit on get a quote, put in random name, your neighbors address and the same coverage's you have right now....i will bet you, the rates will be lower....insurance companies dont lower the rate themselves....you need to call them and harass them (actually)....another reason your insurance might have not gone low even thow you hit 25 coz of the curb you hit....maybe thats why it offset?

============

Q, if you get a ticket next time, try to get it off your record but hiring a lawyer...this way you can tell the insurance guy, you dont have any tickets....if an accident is not at fault then your insurance should not go higher....so the only thing which is messing up your insurance is the tickets and when you rear ended someone....

another thing is insurance companies do not keep a tab on mileage, so you can tell them you only use the car for 2000 miles a year and that might reduce your insurance....or take a defensive driving course, i know in my state GEICO gives 10% off the premium if you do so....

check with insurance brokers, they have some decent rates as compared to insurance companies themselves....

also, try putting the TL under your dads name and have your dads car under yours, or take 2 different quotes

am just thinking out loud....hope that helps...
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 AM

^its probably not from turning 25, swoosh.

the longer you are with a company and with no tickets accidents, the lower your premiums go.
every insurance is different as well, swoosh.
my rates were getting lowered automatically, JUST FOR BEING WITH THEM.
then once i hit 25 as my policy renewed, it didnt get any lower.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
I've been insured with USAA since I was 15. I couldn't count how many tickets I've had and suspensions from speeding. I pay $121 a month
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM
TL-S

I understand. Its hard to make any general sort of statements about if your premiums go lower or not based on age, tickets, etc because as everyone knows, theres a million different factors, down where you live, if your car has ABS or not, and even good student discounts and other BS.

Bottom line is insurance companies are thieves

Anyways. My main question is if I can register my car under my sisters name, under her insurance, and drive it myself. I don't see there being any sort of legal problem with this because if anything happens I could have just been borrowing the car, and it will be under full coverage so I doubt the insurance company could deny anything. I would say its better to do that and pay less than 300$ for 6 months full coverage than pay 179$ PER MONTH for liability and run the risk of totaling the car and being basically SOL.

Input?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM

^its probably not from turning 25, swoosh.

the longer you are with a company and with no tickets accidents, the lower your premiums go.
every insurance is different as well, swoosh.
my rates were getting lowered automatically, JUST FOR BEING WITH THEM.
then once i hit 25 as my policy renewed, it didnt get any lower.
well in the first year of ownership my insurance premium went low by $150 and thats when i turned 25....after that, every 6 months they would go low by $10-ish...

thats my point, just being with them for 3 years (say) your insurance premium went low by say $60 ($10 every 6 months)....try getting a quote from the same company/same coverage/same car/different name and your quote will be lower....then call the insurance company and tell them you see lower rates and they will further lower your rates....

I am cheap and i try to do EVERYTHING I can do keep that dollar in my pocket....i work wayyy to hard for it and IMO "a dollar saved = a dollar earned"....

I understand. Its hard to make any general sort of statements about if your premiums go lower or not based on age, tickets, etc because as everyone knows, theres a million different factors, down where you live, if your car has ABS or not, and even good student discounts and other BS.

Bottom line is insurance companies are thieves

Anyways. My main question is if I can register my car under my sisters name, under her insurance, and drive it myself. I don't see there being any sort of legal problem with this because if anything happens I could have just been borrowing the car, and it will be under full coverage so I doubt the insurance company could deny anything. I would say its better to do that and pay less than 300$ for 6 months full coverage than pay 179$ PER MONTH for liability and run the risk of totaling the car and being basically SOL.

Input?

did u try any options that i suggested?

up your comprehensive and collision to $500....get state minimum coverages could lower your rates as well
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Q, you'll raise her rates.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Justn, Q said:

I believe my deductible was 500 collision, 250 comprehensive and coverages were 50/100 or something along those lines
so how will increases your ded to 500 on both and getting state min coverage, increase the rates???
Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by swoosh
well in the first year of ownership my insurance premium went low by $150 and thats when i turned 25....after that, every 6 months they would go low by $10-ish...

thats my point, just being with them for 3 years (say) your insurance premium went low by say $60 ($10 every 6 months)....try getting a quote from the same company/same coverage/same car/different name and your quote will be lower....then call the insurance company and tell them you see lower rates and they will further lower your rates....

I am cheap and i try to do EVERYTHING I can do keep that dollar in my pocket....i work wayyy to hard for it and IMO "a dollar saved = a dollar earned"....
anil, you're forgetting that Im asian too.
ive already thought of everything, youve thought of.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

^^^

i wanted to say something but lets just leave it at that
Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts

correct.........................
however,...getting married does.

OP should go get married so he can have lower premiums.

in NY i was paying 906 every 6months --1 car
in PA,.. im paying 256 every 6 months --2 cars

both scenerio's with full coverage.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Racer

anil, you're forgetting that Im asian too.
ive already thought of everything, youve thought of.

justnspace (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Racer

haha yea it didn't drop mine any either when I turned 25. if you were paying 500 every 6mo that is INSANELY cheap so somebody probably screwed something up and you got lucky as shit for that 6 mo. I am paying 290 a mo for my car and my wifes car. Hers was only 79 a month prior to me getting added on.

Having a bad record screws you over.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Justin 3 Anil 0.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
**The Catfish**

btw Brandon, thats a tight avitar. you take it?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Racer

Yea I took that shit from google lol.
justnspace (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM

lol
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
correct.........................
however,...getting married does.

OP should go get married so he can have lower premiums.

in NY i was paying 906 every 6months --1 car
in PA,.. im paying 256 every 6 months --2 cars

both scenerio's with full coverage.
your insurance went low not because of 25 years of age but because you prolly went down from a higher accident zone to a lower accident zone....

when i was paying 450/6months in KS on my car and was looking to move back to NY, the quote i got was 880/6 months....so there is a lot that goes into it....

a 25 years old with multiple at fault accidents and multiple tickets could be paying more than a 22 year old in NY with a clean record....its many many things which determines your insurance cost....

Justin -3 Anil 0.

fixed coz you fail at reading....
Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Well that sucks for you Americans, but turning 21 and 25 in Canada DOES lower your insurance rates
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM

i think its time to update the score Justn
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM

^we're not in canada.
the score remains.
Sick TLS (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM

ok

Justin -3 Anil 0

The following 2 users liked this post by swoosh:
justnspace (09-13-2012), Sick TLS (09-13-2012)

Quick Reply: Another Insurance dilemma...Advice needed.