Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another aluminum trim question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Another aluminum trim question...

Has anyone successfully installed a new piece of aluminum console trim themselves?

I know you can get the part for $88 and rets/Ron A posted installation instructions.

Just wondering if anyone tried it yet.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:19 PM
professional TL driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wstevens
Has anyone successfully installed a new piece of aluminum console trim themselves?

I know you can get the part for $88 and rets/Ron A posted installation instructions.

Just wondering if anyone tried it yet.

id like to know this as well... mine is dented from my seat belt buckle
Old 12-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, mine has a few dents in it an its starting to bug me. There are tons of threads complaining about the trim, so we don't have to get into it in this thread. But, if anyone installed their own trim, please let me know how it went.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too.

A fly landed on it leaving a huge dent.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know that they dented that easily. Anyway, how could the seat belt buckle do it? The buckle is firmly mounted about 1.5 inches below the metal strip. The tang on the end of the strap might do it, but you would have to have pretty bad aim in trying to insert the tang into the buckle. Am I missing something?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
also when its cold out...the aluminum heats up REALLY REALLY QUICKLY...
Old 12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't say that I've INSTALLED the aluminum trim but I have removed it. It's currently removed. I'm pre-wiring for an iPod/DVD/PS2 install so I haven't put the car back together yet.

Removing the aluminum trim was complicated but not impossible. I inserted a smooth flat-head screwdriver under the end that's right near the belt buckle and pulled directly straight up. Don't PRY, PULL! Then slowly insert and pull straight up until it's off. Be careful where it curves, just always pull directly away from the dash/console. The little metal clips might come off, but they just push right back on and you can snap it all right back into place.

I found removing the central air vents to be a lot more difficult. I didn't have the vent puller tool, so I had to simply pull on one side. I started with the left side and pulled VERY hard until it finally snapped off. Nothing broke thank goodness, but I did lose one of the metal clips -- but I found it again. The center vent is definitely harder to remove than the aluminum trim.

I find it quite ridiculous that you have to take the entire center console apart in order to remove the factory head unit, but I guess it's good for cutting down on theft. I've never had so much trouble removing a head unit before, that's for sure.

My two cents...

Rob
Old 12-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

It can be done with an patient hand. If you arint good at working on your own car, you may want the pro's to do it so that you dont ruin anything else. G'luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:23 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by Repecat
I didn't know that they dented that easily. Anyway, how could the seat belt buckle do it? The buckle is firmly mounted about 1.5 inches below the metal strip. The tang on the end of the strap might do it, but you would have to have pretty bad aim in trying to insert the tang into the buckle. Am I missing something?
mine happened because of me being impatient and not paying attention.... i reached across my body with my right hand to grab the seat belt. and in my quickness i hit the aluminum trim with the steel "tang, as you put it" buckle. whats worse is its happened a couple of times...... so it has lots of little dents almost as if keys fell on it hard enough to do that.... my fault... and i want to fix it
Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, thanks for the explanation, onager. I thought that might be it but wasn't sure. I have almost done that a couple of times myself and I had read on a previous post how difficult replacing those strips were. Your and wstevens posts have alerted me to be more cautious. The replacement work really doesn't bother me, but the $88 sure does. Thanks again.