Sponsored by:

Another 3G Rear Ended... Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 3G Rear Ended... Need Some Advice

Hi Everyone,

I was involved in a minor 3-car collission today which resulted in me getting rear-ended. I was sitting at a red light with cars in front of me and behind me... the cars to my left get a green arrow to turn left and the next thing I know the car behind me slams into me. I get out and the lady said that the lady behind her hit her causing her to hit me. I immediately call the Police who arrive a couple of minutes later. The lady in the back said that she saw the lady behind me inch up and she hit the gas (I think she saw the cars to her left move forward and that is why she hit the gas). Basically it is clear she is at fault and the police officer even wrote her a citation (I believe for being too close or something). I tried to remember all of the right things to do, which is why I called the police and had them make a report. I also called my insurance company to let them know what happened and I told them that I am going to try and go after the other cars insurance company for all damages since I am in no way at fault and my deductible would be $500. She said she still has to document the accident but will not make a claim. She also said if I run into problems with getting the money from the other insurance company I can always file a claim. I already called the others insurance company and started a claim... they said someone will call me back next week. Now I have some questions that I hope someone would be kind enough to help me out with...

1) What kind of damage am I looking at here? The bumper cover appears to be dented and obviously the paint is messed up (there is a chip and some spiderwebbing). Will I most like just have to replace the bumber cover or even just get it painted?

2) I know many people say this is a good time to upgrade to Ronjon Kit or Aspec Kit but how would I go about doing this? Do I get the estimates and then the other insurance company will just send me a check, then I go somewhere else and have the Ronjon Bumper put on?

3) Will there be a problem if I want to wait a few months to get the damaged fixed? I am up at school with no Acura dealers within 50 miles, and do not trust any of the shops around here. If I want to wait until Thanksgiving or even Christmas break the other insurance company say they will not pay?

4) Can I clean up the area to make it look better before I get estimates? I know I can clay out some of the black and my car needs a wash, so is it a bad idea to fix it up a little before anyone looks at it? I don't know when I will be able to get an estimate, and I would really like it to be done at an Acura Dealer.

5) Finally, if and when I get the car to an Acura Dealer, should I be worried about Mods that I have done to the Navigation (ie. Backup Cam, DVD Player, Dom's Unit, Hacked Screen and OK Button) or will they not even look at these things?

Here are the pics...

My girlfriend was drinking coffee which went all over the interior of the car including the Navi and Radio Consoles. I cleaned it up the best I can but there is some in crevices behind the buttons.... There is no way to claim this as damage as well, is there?

I am sorry for the long thread but this is the first time I have had a situation like this and I know a lot of users on this forum have a lot of experience that I am hoping can help me out. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This stinks but you will have to file a claim to get your car fixed (or pay for repairs yourself). I know because this just happened to me two weeks ago. I was sitting at a red light when I was rear-ended. The guy was in a van overloaded with wine he just bought across state line. His drivers liscence was expired. He was a commercial driver (and didn't speak 3 words of english). He tells the cop (via a friend on his cell phone) that he was rear ended and was thus pushed into me. There were dents on his rear bumper (as well as the entire vehicle). He said the large truck that hit him fled, even though all lanes were filled at the light and it was a divided road - the truck must have flown away since nobody saw it. I'm now going to be out $250 for my deductable, and my insurance company will have to go to arbitration to try to get the other company to pay. The guy that hit me even admitted he did so. Why his company doesn't have to pay me is a mystery. They should then have to catch the other (mystery) vehicle to get that company to pay all damages. Otherwise if you rear-end someone you simply say you were pushed into that vehicle. Stupid process.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My dad was rear ended, adn the drink in his cupholder spilled into his radio. A replacement radio was part of the claim.I don't think I would've tried to clean it as you did (disturbing evidence for the claim!!!) but you can sure ask thte insureance co.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Opium den in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bumper damage isnt bad at all. Youre just going to have to sit tight for now. Yea it sucks but insurance will take a look at your car and deem you money if they find it is undoubtably her fault, as they should. Its a pain to look at now, trust me I know but once you get it fixed it will be good as new.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me

I experienced the same thing on July 12th this year while I had been sitting at the red for 15 seconds, but it was just two cars involved. The lane behind me was clear and idiot could not stop/swerve to avoid me. The end result was about $1600 in damage to my TL rear bumper.

As far as insurance goes, MI is a no-fault state so my insurance covered it. Since the other driver was at fault and I was not moving, my deductible was waived by my insurance company and I was assured by the insurance rep this accident would not effect my rates.

On Jan 30th this year, my rear end was swiped while I was parked at a bank parking lot by some gal who back out. In that case, the insurance matter was handled differently. Her insurance paid for everything and I didn't even have to claim the repairs (~$400) on my insurance. Like your damage, this accident was more of a scrape.

Something interesting about the July 12th incident. While the the guy was given the ticket, he's contesting it and if I don't appear in court as the witness, then the citation $ and points will be waived by the judge. In spite of his written statement that he caused the accident, the traffic cop said that it cannot be used in court.

I'm definitely going to appear in court just to make sure the ticket doesn't get waived. His carelessness caused me time wasted dealing with the car repair and money spent for a decent rental in excess of what my insurance company was willing to pay ($20/day).
Old 10-07-2006, 12:42 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
If the other party's insurance will cover the damage you usually have two options (or three if you choose to do nothing). Most insurance companies will refer you to an approved body shop for the repairs, and the body shop will just bill the insurance company. If you choose to go to a shop that is not on their list, they will get an estimate from the shop and write you a check for the amount. You can then fix the car whenever you want.

If it is too much of a pain in the ass to deal with the other party's insurance, you can always file a claim with yours, have them reimburse you (less the deductible) and have them go after the other insurance company. Once your insurance is paid back they will refund the deductible.