3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angry at Acura what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I wanna go fast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me break it down for those who dont understand. When you go to the buy the car, you dont have the funds in your hand. Meaning you dont have the bank loan. However the dealer WANTS TO SELL the car that night, and wait for you to change your mind. They pull your credit and say hey this guy can definetly get approved. They say give us a CHECK OF GOOD FAITH, we will not depoist this check if you come back and give us the loan check. You come back a few days later and give them check, they give you yours back enough said. The dealership made a mistake. IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT I JUST POSTED YOUR A MORON
Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by awax's Type S
YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT GRASP THE CONCEPT
Sure I do....its pretty cut and dry. And in return....you obviously dont grasp good english and grammar...and telling me what I dont grasp.... I guess I will consider the source on that one....
Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A signed purchase and sales agreement is all you need to make a deal - not a rubber check
Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Looks like there are 2 different types of views here. One dont wright checks you cant cash and two its an common practie for dealer to take a good fatih checks. Both are correct. You should never wright somehting that you cant back. Also dealer do practice this good faith check policy. Not all dealers do this but the one I came across do it. It sorta like leaving a depost and to see if your serious of buying the car. Usally when you leave the lot there is a good chance the dealer wont see you agian, so they do use every trick in the book to make the sale. This includes the good faith check. The think about this is like a double edged sword. One your wright in essence a "bad check" in order to get your car. But on the other hand the dealer makes the sale. Oh well... seems like this topic will go on forever...
Old 02-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I wanna go fast

Originally Posted by SteveP66
A signed purchase and sales agreement is all you need to make a deal - not a rubber check
Yes that is true, but the dealers what the check. It is there practice not mine. If you dont pay the can get you for check fraud. How long do you think it would be tied up in court if the just had you sign a paper? You could just say you changed your mind. This is America, you word means nothing.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I wanna go fast

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Sure I do....its pretty cut and dry. And in return....you obviously dont grasp good english and grammar...and telling me what I dont grasp.... I guess I will consider the source on that one....

Sorry I dont met your high standards of english comprehension, and I came off with caps cause you did first. Your bashing this guy when this is a DEALER practice. If this is the game they want to play, than they have to pay when they fuck up. BTW nice car
Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Let me break it down for those who dont understand. When you go to the buy the car, you dont have the funds in your hand. Meaning you dont have the bank loan. However the dealer WANTS TO SELL the car that night, and wait for you to change your mind. They pull your credit and say hey this guy can definetly get approved. They say give us a CHECK OF GOOD FAITH, we will not depoist this check if you come back and give us the loan check. You come back a few days later and give them check, they give you yours back enough said. The dealership made a mistake. IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT I JUST POSTED YOUR A MORON
OK big guy....let me try to help YOU out here....

When you go to the buy the car, you dont have the funds in your hand. Meaning you dont have the bank loan.

Then in fact my friend...you have not bought the car. You are just in a sales gimmick to put it simply.

However the dealer WANTS TO SELL the car that night, and wait for you to change your mind.

Now this just makes NO sense whatsoever....why would the dealer want me to change my mind. See above post...its a sales gimick to get you to stop car shopping while they attempt to get the car paid for.

They pull your credit and say hey this guy can definetly get approved.

This is an educated guess on their part at best...as most dealers dont extend credit but are going on what they feel will work based on what they are looking at. Therefore...they are just guessing....and given the extensive info they have at that point...they are using a marketing tactic which is a gamble for the most part to get you off the car shopping market for a short time while they try to pin you down. Its a grey area for the most part...but trust me....you havent bought anything yet....and the car still is under the dealer umbrella. You see....if you financing doesnt come through....you dont come back....they can sue you under that "good faith" payment. Now....I think if you re-read my post...I DID state that this was a mistake on both parts...which in fact...would NOT have happened if they fellow would have picked up the check when he dropped off the loan check. Now should they deposit it....probably not given they were already paid....but payments laying around are gonna get that treatment...bringing me back to the....you should have picked up that check when you dropped the other one off!

They say give us a CHECK OF GOOD FAITH, we will not depoist this check if you come back and give us the loan check.

And trust me...the minute your credit did not qualify....they would immediately deposit the check if they couldnt get you back to the dealership by that days end of telling you that your loan was not approved. Now if you cant understand the dealer is operating in a very grey area here and making a marketing investment in the sale here, which is a calculated gamble at best based on the credit score they are looking at....YOU MUST BE A MORON! (to quote your terms) This is an OLD sales gimmick used by dealers to stop you from entering other dealers. If they were incorrect in their assessment...trust me...that car would crank back to the dealer like it was on a rubber band or they would deposit your check by days end. Think about it...if you NEVER came back...what are they to do? Call the insurance company and tell em we just gave the guy the car and we want you guys to pay for it...or to show they have done all prudent methods of collecting said funds? If they didnt deposit your check....I am sure the insurance company would really be wondering why they were expected to cover the loss when one hasnt even gone after the originator of the document yet. Its a cart before the horse thing....but we are WAY off where we started now....but just to show how things CAN play out if it doesnt pan out for the dealer. Its the last part of your statement that leaves all the room....if they bring a valid loan check in. If they dont nd you dont come back though...then what?

You come back a few days later and give them check, they give you yours back enough said.

That is what went wrong here....he didnt get his check back nor did he remember to ask for it? Havent read anything about him asking for it...just that he expected they would mail it back....and you know what they say about assumptions. Dont assume anything or you are likley to make an ASS of U and ME - and thats exactly what happended here.

The dealership made a mistake.

Thats a bit of an overstatement....but ok. Didnt the buyer also? Where does contributory negligence play into the game here?

IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT I JUST POSTED YOUR A MORON

Well...I guess thats your opinion....and you are entitiled to it. Seems to be that I have laid out a fairly logical explanation though? To make inferences that I am a moron would be a bit unfounded in my opinion...and an emotional filled overstatement at best.

By the way...did you notice how I could get though all this WITHOUT YELLING AT YOU NONSTOP IN CAPS? We can hear you the same...trust me.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yes that is true, but the dealers what the check. It is there practice not mine.

Maybe they just do this for the 20 year olds.......
If they want to sell you a car bad enough they will play by your rules - you are the customer and you should be calling the shots, terms and conditions of your deal.

If you dont pay the can get you for check fraud. How long do you think it would be tied up in court if the just had you sign a paper? You could just say you changed your mind.

The same amount of time it would be tied up for check fraud. The dealer is just going to move on to a paying customer they could care less that you changed your mind and gave them a worthless check......lol....

This is America, you word means nothing.
Check back in another 20 years and see how you look at this then.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Sorry I dont met your high standards of english comprehension, and I came off with caps cause you did first. Your bashing this guy when this is a DEALER practice. If this is the game they want to play, than they have to pay when they fuck up. BTW nice car
Trust me....its not dealer practice to take rubber checks. A good faith check is NOT a rubber check. Personally...I have never run into this dealer practice...but I do know its commonplace. I guess I never let them have that much control over the "deal" at hand and am not "sold" by this type of tactic nor even entertain it whatsoever. It put the wrong person in the driver seat of the "deal" at hand in the end....trust me.

BTW...thanks for the compliments on the ride. Appreciated.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT WORKS. THE CAR DEALERS DO THIS AS A COURTESY. THEY KNOW THE CHECK IS NOT GOOD, THEY JUST WANT TO HAVE IT IF YOU DONT COME BACK WITH THE FUNDS(FROM THE ACTUALLY BANK, IE LOAN) THAN THEY CAN GET YOU FOR BAD CHECK. I WROTE A CHECK FOR 38,000 S0 I COULD LEAVE MY TL TYPE S. THE REASON WAS IT WAS SATURDAY AND MY BANK WAS CLOSED. THEY SAW THAT I HAD A PRE APPROVAL, BUT I STILL COULDNT GIVE THEM MONEY. IF THEY CASHED THE CHECK IT WOULD BOUNCE. ITS A WAY FOR THE DEALERS TO SELL THE CAR THAT NIGHT WITHOUT WAITING. ITS THEM WHO STARTED THE PRACTICE. As for the OP just talk with the sales manager they will cover the cost of the bounce check dont worry.
Thank you!!!!

You know what man, I have been saying this (read my posts) til I am blue in the face. For some reason, some of these people only see a black and white world. You know, there is some color, if nothing else - gray! The guy was not trying to get over to get his car earlier. How many times does that have to be said??? You can do this practice, dealerships encourage it, and ASK FOR IT! There would be a hell of a lot less deals if everyone thought about it in the negative sense that some of these people are thinking on. It's a convenience that is in practice everyday nationwide! Enough already! Nobody is trying to bounce $15000 checks! I am not just saying what I think. I am saying what I know - firsthand experience! And it wasn't under the table - everyone was in on it and was well aware! I just did this in November if you read my post. And it wasn't the first time and I wasn't the first person. And my check was for 20, 000+!!! You would think that bankers and finance experts would understand the difference between buying cars and buying furniture or just about any other type of goods that this wouldn't work with. Once they pull credit and verify financing, they will allow you to do this on a car purchase with NO PROBLEM!!!! No, you can't buy groceries this way, or a broom this way or a watch this way. But you CAN buy a car this way!

Like I said, stop arguing the point and just call a dealership if this is really so far-fetched for you to grasp!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Trust me....its not dealer practice to take rubber checks. A good faith check is NOT a rubber check. Personally...I have never run into this dealer practice...but I do know its commonplace. I guess I never let them have that much control over the "deal" at hand and am not "sold" by this type of tactic nor even entertain it whatsoever. It put the wrong person in the driver seat of the "deal" at hand in the end....trust me.

Mike, I am also not saying that you are a moron!

Oh yeah, and I think in some other post I already complimented the whip!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I might also point out...in general terms....if you bought a car this way....you probably overpaid by a bit....(sure to start more conversation)
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by darksom1
Mike, I am also not saying that you are a moron!

Oh yeah, and I think in some other post I already complimented the whip!
I know...I was just playing a bit! Thanks again man!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 PM
I wanna go fast

I dont think this was a Rubber check. It is a good faith check as I said before. The dealer uses it to help both of parties. When I want a car, I go out and buy it that day(if I can afford it haha). I would hate to lose a deal because someone left for financing and than found a better deal somewhere else. That is why they do it, because they make out just as much as the person leaving in there brand new car.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I wanna go fast

Thank you!!!!

You know what man, I have been saying this (read my posts) til I am blue in the face. For some reason, some of these people only see a black and white world. You know, there is some color, if nothing else - gray! The guy was not trying to get over to get his car earlier. How many times does that have to be said??? You can do this practice, dealerships encourage it, and ASK FOR IT! There would be a hell of a lot less deals if everyone thought about it in the negative sense that some of these people are thinking on. It's a convenience that is in practice everyday nationwide! Enough already! Nobody is trying to bounce $15000 checks! I am not just saying what I think. I am saying what I know - firsthand experience! And it wasn't under the table - everyone was in on it and was well aware! I just did this in November if you read my post. And it wasn't the first time and I wasn't the first person. And my check was for 20, 000+!!! You would think that bankers and finance experts would understand the difference between buying cars and buying furniture or just about any other type of goods that this wouldn't work with. Once they pull credit and verify financing, they will allow you to do this on a car purchase with NO PROBLEM!!!! No, you can't buy groceries this way, or a broom this way or a watch this way. But you CAN buy a car this way!

Like I said, stop arguing the point and just call a dealership if this is really so far-fetched for you to grasp!
Most dealerships push this to help you leave that night. I have also wrote checks to put money down that werent good for a few weeks. They wait the few weeks and than cash them. Its the same thing. The dealer has a check in there hands and it is as good as cash, because it is so easy to prosecute someone for writting a bad check. Plus they can repo the car.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
ok enough with the arguing. i already stated that i would handle it with the finance guy. maybe i said deposit but i ment down payment. see we went in saying we would put 3k down when we didnt get the price we wanted we walked out, then they went lower and so did we and said we would put half down. and they said fine, we made the deal, the car needed to be detailed and we agreed i would go back in 2 days with a certified check...

Either way shit happens and no point in arguing whos right or wrong, i feel we were both wrong i shouldn't have wrote i check i couldnt cover and they shouldnt have gave their word they wouldnt cash it...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I dont think this was a Rubber check. It is a good faith check as I said before. The dealer uses it to help both of parties. When I want a car, I go out and buy it that day(if I can afford it haha). I would hate to lose a deal because someone left for financing and than found a better deal somewhere else. That is why they do it, because they make out just as much as the person leaving in there brand new car.
Sure it was...if it wasnt...whats the $60 bank fee for that we have spoken about here?

rub·ber check (plural rub·ber checks)

noun Definition: check that bounces: a check that is returned by a bank because the person who wrote it has insufficient funds in his or her account to cover it ( informal humorous )

[Because it bounces]
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by lil12002
ok enough with the arguing. i already stated that i would handle it with the finance guy. maybe i said deposit but i ment down payment. see we went in saying we would put 3k down when we didnt get the price we wanted we walked out, then they went lower and so did we and said we would put half down. and they said fine, we made the deal, the car needed to be detailed and we agreed i would go back in 2 days with a certified check...

Either way shit happens and no point in arguing whos right or wrong, i feel we were both wrong i shouldn't have wrote i check i couldnt cover and they shouldnt have gave their word they wouldnt cash it...
Words spoken like a true gentleman! This is a fact.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I wanna go fast

Sure it was...if it wasnt...whats the $60 bank fee for that we have spoken about here?

rub·ber check (plural rub·ber checks)

noun Definition: check that bounces: a check that is returned by a bank because the person who wrote it has insufficient funds in his or her account to cover it ( informal humorous )

[Because it bounces]
rubber checks have to be deposited. These checks are never to be deposited. BOTTOM LINE
Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this thread and this response, now I'm just waiting for you to tell us you put $15K down on a lease...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Uhhmmm...I don't think YOU noticed...but this is no longer about you! You were just the catalyst of the discussion. You and your check. But this is now about truth, justice, and the American way!

Oh yeah, or about shit happens! (classic)
Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Uhhmmm...I don't think YOU noticed...but this is no longer about you! You were just the catalyst of the discussion. You and your check. But this is now about truth, justice, and the American way!

Oh yeah, or about shit happens! (classic)
Old 02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

rubber checks have to be deposited. These checks are never to be deposited. BOTTOM LINE
Again...the $60 fee? It was deposited and thus...was a rubber check. On your premise....if one was refused financing after this act and never came back...the dealer would just say...o'well...right? Nope....they would immediately deposit your check and start to sue you for the balance...trust me.

They have sold you so well...they have you believing that when you write a check....its not an actual payment. Yes...it is.....its a payment and a written contract as well. Call it whatever you want....its a payment even if temporary and replaced by another...which in fact...I have already covered in great length above. You have been sold man....plain and simple.

And if what you say is true...that when you want a car....you buy it the first day....then trust me....you are overpaying. I have friends that work at dealers...and they regularly joke about same day buyers and how much they overpay due to their emotions or over-importance and lack of time.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
I wanna go fast

Again...the $60 fee? It was deposited and thus...was a rubber check. On your premise....if one was refused financing after this act and never came back...the dealer would just say...o'well...right? Nope....they would immediately deposit your check and start to sue you for the balance...trust me.

They have sold you so well...they have you believing that when you write a check....its not an actual payment. Yes...it is.....its a payment and a written contract as well. Call it whatever you want....its a payment even if temporary and replaced by another...which in fact...I have already covered in great length above. You have been sold man....plain and simple.

And if what you say is true...that when you want a car....you buy it the first day....then trust me....you are overpaying. I have friends that work at dealers...and they regularly joke about same day buyers and how much they overpay due to their emotions or over-importance and lack of time.
I research, than buy. Its just the day I decide to do it I do it.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

This so called "Good Faith Check" is nothing more than a worthless I.O.U.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I especially like the part of this where it went from " I gave them a check for 15 grand" to
we offered 3 down, then half down.....I dont see the 15 in there anywhere.
And the- it need detailing so I was to come back in 2 days
So lil1- did you leave the car at the dealer and then came back to pay for and pick it up, OR did you make a deal, take the car and were supposed to come back?

I am just trying to get the facts right because that is 2 way different things
Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I especially like the part of this where it went from " I gave them a check for 15 grand" to
we offered 3 down, then half down.....I dont see the 15 in there anywhere.
And the- it need detailing so I was to come back in 2 days
So lil1- did you leave the car at the dealer and then came back to pay for and pick it up, OR did you make a deal, take the car and were supposed to come back?

I am just trying to get the facts right because that is 2 way different things

yes we made the deal on a saturday agreeing that the car would stay there and i would pick it up in 2 days after it was detailed and alligned... i was suppose to come back in 2 days with a certified check from the bank.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Racer

So i finally spoke to the finance guy i made the arrangement with. He doesnt know what happen but he will find out tomorrow. he was aparrently out for 7 days sick and doesnt know why accounting tried to cash the check when he specified for it not to be cashed. So he will reinburse me the fees i was charged and all is well... didnt feel like asking for the all season floor matts cause the manager was very nice about it, so we'll see what he says when he calls me back tomorrow.

tho i was hoping they were dicks about it so i could get the floor matts somehow.. oh well.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

So i finally spoke to the finance guy i made the arrangement with. He doesnt know what happen but he will find out tomorrow. he was aparrently out for 7 days sick and doesnt know why accounting tried to cash the check when he specified for it not to be cashed. So he will reinburse me the fees i was charged and all is well... didnt feel like asking for the all season floor matts cause the manager was very nice about it, so we'll see what he says when he calls me back tomorrow.

tho i was hoping they were dicks about it so i could get the floor matts somehow.. oh well.

Write them a check for the floor mats and ask them not to cash it.....

(couldn't resist)
Old 02-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Racer

Write them a check for the floor mats and ask them not to cash it.....

(couldn't resist)
what bank did you say you work at again?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Write them a check for the floor mats and ask them not to cash it.....(couldn't resist)
:thief: LOL!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

what bank did you say you work at again?

One that doesn't pay attention to postdated checks
Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

And the process ends with a good glazing! I think he thought you were a donut...so he glazed you like any good salesman would! Good man!

Fact is...this was not all it appeared to be on the outset as you didnt even have posession of the car? You just made a typical Saturday transaction at the car lot....

At least you got glazed over...feel good about it now...and all is well! For that...I am happy for you. I know how the lingering bad feeling of a purchase can work on you over time...at least this wont be one of em for you!!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:15 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

And the process ends with a good glazing! I think he thought you were a donut...so he glazed you like any good salesman would! Good man!!!
"You screamed I'm lazy
you must be crazy
thought I was a donut
and tried to glaze me"

- Rakim
Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

"You screamed I'm lazy
you must be crazy
thought I was a donut
and tried to glaze me "

- Rakim
Actually...I knew it as a Wil Smith song (Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff)...but I am willing to bet Rakim wrote it originally! That was back in the days of the "I thought I could beat Mike Tyson" song....among others.