Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMIC's 1 yr review (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up AMIC's 1 yr review (long)

Well, my TL turned one year old last week so I thought I’d share my thoughts.

I celebrated by installing the A-spec suspension this weekend. The hubby did the install with a little help from me especially on getting all of the interior stuff out for the rear install. More on this later.

The car has a little over 9000 miles on it. Yes, I don’t drive that much as my commute to work is 3 miles. Other driving consists of occasional trips to see the folks around Texas. I love to drive this car and wish I could more often. I’m not trying to keep the miles off, but it just seems to be working out that way. I also avoid hairy parking situations so that keeps me form driving to some places around town.

The positives

Features, features!! The TL is a major upgrade from my ’97 Accord LX. The navi is an awesome feature, I actually use it frequently in Dallas when I go up there and it is fairly accurate. Not so much for Austin, so I hope that those issues will get corrected in future versions of the DVD. I don’t find myself using the voice system as it is just easier to push the buttons most of the time but it’s a cool feature to show off to others. I was pleasantly surprised by the stereo. It’s not as loud as I would have liked but I think the clarity is better than anything I have heard in a factory system. I have a few DVD-A discs and they sound great. I have become very used to the steering wheel controls and I miss them when I drive the Accord. I love the programmed seat/mirror positions. It comes in handy as I’m 5’4” and my husband is 6’1” so when he has driven it it’s so nice to be able to get all my positions back in a hurry. Then HFL system works great and I actually went out a got a new phone a few months after getting the TL just so I could use the Bluetooth feature. I don’t talk on the phone that much but it comes in handy as I like to play the stereo pretty loud so I used to never be able to hear my phone ringing in my purse.

The power. I’m not a racer by any means, I just love the fact that I can finally pass people and get up small hills without having to get a running start!

The look. I think the TL is the nicest looking sedan out there. I love to just look at it when it’s parked. Especially after it’s been freshly washed/waxed.

The negatives

Rattles. It took a while before most of them appeared. I’ve taken it in to get some fixed and they didn’t do a damn thing so we fixed the gear shifter rattle ourselves and have attempted to take care of some of the other minor ones. Now that I have the A-spec suspension, some of the rattle are a little more pronounced and I’ll be getting them to take a look at those when I go in for the alignment next week. The rattles don’t sour my experience with the car, and they’re not constant, but I would like to get them fixed at some point.

City gas mileage. I average about 16-17 MPG on my short commute. I wish it were a little better but the 30 MPG on the highway makes up for it. I still love to take off from a red light (I go through so many on my commute) but I just see the gas gauge going down when I do it though.

Tire vibration. With the stock Michelins, I have a slight vibration at 50-60 MPH for a few miles after the car has sat for a while. Hopefully after a tire upgrade, this will go away.

And something that is totally out of my control, I-35 from Austin to Dallas is a cesspool of 18-wheelers and construction zones and the front end has taken a beating. I notice more and more chips every time I make that drive. I’m thinking of getting a clear bra, but not sure if it’s even worth it after a year and a dozen rock chips later. I know I should have done it right after I got the car, but never thought it was necessary I guess.

Mods

I started slow with the mods by buying the lip spoiler from trimking. The paint match is perfect and it gives the car a very classy look. I then got the windows tinted. I went with 35% and while not as dark as I’d like as far as the look, for visibility, especially at night, it is fine. I got the 3M color stable as it was non-metallic and cheaper than the ceramic tints. Lifetime warranty so if I get any scratches I can get it re-tinted. Next up was the Comptech RSB. After installing, I noticed slightly better handling in the turns and well worth the low cost. The ultimate pedals really spruce up the interior and make it a little sportier. They were a bit expensive but as I’ve said in many other threads on this topic, they are well made and I recommend them.

Now to the A-spec suspension. Wow, what a difference! I’ve only had it on for a couple of days but I notice right off much better handling in the turns and with only a slightly stiffer ride. The floatiness is gone and it rides a lot better not sure why it didn’t come like this from the factory. I didn’t want something too stiff so after doing research on the other options, I felt the A-spec was the choice for me. Don’t really notice much of a drop yet, but I’m ok with the .5 inch that most people got. I felt kinda lucky to have actually gotten it without having to get the wheels. Keep checking the Ebay stores for all those still wanting it.

Next up will be the Ron Jon Inspyre 18’s when my husband allows me to get them. I’ve spent quite a bit lately so those will probably come later this year. He needs to get started on stuff for his new (used) S2000 that he just got last week.

After a year, I have to say that I love this car and still enjoy driving it as much as I did when I first drove it off the lot. This site has been invaluable to me and without it I would still have a bone stock car as I was never a moddin’ person. Not that stock isn’t still wonderful, but with all the upgrades, I’m keeping things fresh and the rattles haven’t driven me away yet so I still recommend a TL to anyone looking for an entry-level luxury sedan.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
YOU GO GIRL!

I liked your review. I hope that I am able to give my "baby" an anniversary gift this year; I would LOVE to have the A-spec !
Old 05-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by KJW73
YOU GO GIRL!

I liked your review. I hope that I am able to give my "baby" an anniversary gift this year; I would LOVE to have the A-spec !
Once you have it you won't want to go back.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by AMIC
After a year, I have to say that I love this car and still enjoy driving it as much as I did when I first drove it off the lot. This site has been invaluable to me and without it I would still have a bone stock car as I was never a moddin’ person. Not that stock isn’t still wonderful, but with all the upgrades, I’m keeping things fresh and the rattles haven’t driven me away yet so I still recommend a TL to anyone looking for an entry-level luxury sedan.

great review. Im glad the site helped give you the mod bug
Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts

I never would have thought of modding without this site. That's one reason I've hung around here for over four years.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

I never would have thought of modding without this site. That's one reason I've hung around here for over four years.

I agree, I probably would have remained stock and oblivious to mod possibilities without this site. Its both a blessing and a (financial) curse at the same time
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
I agree, I probably would have remained stock and oblivious to mod possibilities without this site. Its both a blessing and a (financial) curse at the same time
You arent stock ? hahaha, kidding kidding
Old 05-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Its both a blessing and a (financial) curse at the same time
A big financial curse, but the finished product is worth it.

Now I have to get up the courage to go to a meet someday to see in person what others have done.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
RAR

A big financial curse, but the finished product is worth it.

Now I have to get up the courage to go to a meet someday to see in person what others have done.

You should come. Xtin was intimidated at first too, but they're a blast, and its great meeting other folks from the site - even folks from the other generations.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Team Athracite Physician

You should come. Xtin was intimidated at first too, but they're a blast, and its great meeting other folks from the site - even folks from the other generations.
You mean everybody on the site isn't in the 25-35 Gen X club like you, xtin and myself
Old 05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by colossus
You mean everybody on the site isn't in the 25-35 Gen X club like you, xtin and myself
err I was referring to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd car generations
Old 05-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

WTFEVER. I am never intimidated. If I remember correctly (and I do) you begged me to go
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

Very nice review! Enjoyed reading it.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Haven't seen much in the way of meets in Austin but I hear trancemission has some good ones at his house in Dallas.

Somehow I don't see xtin as the intimidated type.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Great write up...glad you're still loving the car!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Its both a blessing and a (financial) curse at the same time.
Yeah, don't remind me, especially after blowing north of $2.5k on those hot Ronjons and new tires.....over $900 recently on A-Spec body kit and install......Dare I go on?

.....and now I'm thinking about spending another $1.5-2k on a big brake kit. Oh, the humanity!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Im feeling that leedog and xtin have something going on personally. No disrespect! Just looking how you guys communicate on these forums, and from both being from Metro DC. I like having a female on these forums, I wish there were a few more.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Im feeling that leedog and xtin have something going on personally. No disrespect! Just looking how you guys communicate on these forums, and from both being from Metro DC. I like having a female on these forums, I wish there were a few more.
I remember xtin saying she was engaged and that she and leedog are just friends.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Racer

she's gonna kick your ass!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
RAR

There is absolutely nothing going on between us...other than our trip to the Bahamas. You cant prove anything.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

There is absolutely nothing going on between us...other than our trip to the Bahamas. You cant prove anything.
You keep leaving your boxers over here and Chris is getting suspicious

SHAPE UP BOY!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Haven't seen much in the way of meets in Austin but I hear trancemission has some good ones at his house in Dallas.

Somehow I don't see xtin as the intimidated type.
Dont you know I disect male genitalia in my spare time?

=flex=
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by xtin
You keep leaving your boxers over here and Chris is getting suspicious

SHAPE UP BOY!
Those aren't mine. It wasnt me.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Those aren't mine. It wasnt me.
Are you sure ? The ones with the My Little Pony print?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
RAR

Are you sure ? The ones with the My Little Pony print?

ah shit what's wrong with My Little Pony?? DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY LITTLE PONY?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

ah shit what's wrong with My Little Pony?? DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY LITTLE PONY?
I prefer stallions, myself
Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

This thread has sure gone off on a tangent... boxers, My Little Pony...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

This thread has sure gone off on a tangent... boxers, My Little Pony...
dont forget stallions!

Sorry but when people bring up my supposed relationship with Lee, I have to joke about it.

Anyone who knows either of us in person wouldnt ever be so foolish
Old 05-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Team Athracite Physician

dont forget stallions!

Sorry but when people bring up my supposed relationship with Lee, I have to joke about it.

Anyone who knows either of us in person wouldnt ever be so foolish
Aren't you a med student?

Ahh, I remember the silly things I did back in med school - no my little pony boxers though...

I promised myself I wouldn't drop $ into this car and already am buying mods I don't know how to do myself. I fear the day I get a hydraulic jack and get under the car and start tinkering - there goes the wallet.

Nice write-up BTW
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I promised myself I wouldn't drop $ into this car and already am buying mods I don't know how to do myself. I fear the day I get a hydraulic jack and get under the car and start tinkering - there goes the wallet.

Nice write-up BTW
Even if you don't think you can do the stuff yourself, I guarantee you probably can. Just get the instructions and the tips from this site and most things are doable. It may take a little longer than the experts, but doing it yourself saves both money and gives you the piece of mind that it was done right.

I'd fear having the suspension done by someone else having to take apart all of the interior stuff. I doubt they'd take care to put everything back together right and I'd then have tons more rattles. They can't even put a wheel back on torqued to the right specs.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Aren't you a med student?

Ahh, I remember the silly things I did back in med school - no my little pony boxers though...

Nice write-up BTW
Yeah, Im a med student at GW

Back on track though, good write up and good to see more XX's here