Allstate insurance claim question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 11:07 AM
Banned

Allstate insurance claim question...

Does Allstate allows you to choose your own body shop when filing a claim?
Old 04-24-2006 | 11:33 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Got this from the Allstate website

Looks like you can choose your own shop.

One of the options:
Repair Shop of Your Choice
If your vehicle is not safe to drive to an Allstate Drive-In Claim Center and you don’t want it towed to an Allstate Priority Repair Option (PRO) shop or Sterling Autobody Center™, then a claim representative may be able to come to your vehicle’s location to estimate the damages. The majority of field inspections are done within a week. If your repair shop discovers additional damage after starting the repairs, a claim representative will re-inspect your vehicle and determine if additional payment is warranted.
Old 04-24-2006 | 11:41 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

YES>>>>It is against the law (at least in Indiana) for the insurance company to make you use a specific shop. So long as "prevailing rates" are used (which is where sometimes it can get sticky) you have no problems!!
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:28 PM
Racer

I know in CA it is illegal for the insurance company to tell you where to go. Some insurance companies in CA are so scared of being sued that they will not even give you a recommended list of shops you can 'but do not have to' go to.

Not to hijack but, do people in other states like to sue as much as people in CA seem to like to sue?
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davenlei
I know in CA it is illegal for the insurance company to tell you where to go. Some insurance companies in CA are so scared of being sued that they will not even give you a recommended list of shops you can 'but do not have to' go to.

Not to hijack but, do people in other states like to sue as much as people in CA seem to like to sue?

Maybe NY, but that's about it...

Thanks for the answers, I have a friend who does an excellent job fixing cars and I would like to use his shop for my repairs.
Old 04-24-2006 | 07:33 PM
Racer

They can't tell you which shop to use, but they CAN just pay you what they think the repair should cost, based on their preferred shops (which, not coincidentally, aren't the most expensive in town). If you go to the shop of your choice, you get to pay the difference in cost.

This may not apply to all states or all insurance companies.
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:29 PM
Instructor

You have the right to choose your own body shop.

Some states are considered "anti-steering" law states. CA and NY both fall into that category. That basically means that insurance companies can not "steer" you away from a shop that you wanted to use. Therefore, the insurance company has to ask you something to the effect of, "Do you have a body shop in mind to repair your vehicle?" If they say "Yes" then no offer of preferred shops can be made. If they say "No" then the insurance company can offer their shops.

An insurance company is only required to pay "reasonable" repair costs though. They can't tell you where to go but I assure you they don't have to pay $1000 for a windshield if it should only cost $300 just because you want it repaired at "Bend you over" repair shop.

There are advantages of using an insurance companies preferred repair shops as well. It's typically faster, the repairs are normally guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle and in some cases your deductible may be reduced.