Sponsored by:

All my rattles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Awesome to the Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All my rattles...

UPDATE ON MY RATTLES on my 05 TL:

Okay, I've put maybe..5250 miles on my car and I've realized i have 4 to 8 distinctive rattles...

1.) front driver's side speaker
2.) center speaker
3.) driver's side visor
4.) passenger side visor
5.) passenger side door speaker or somewhere near there...can't listen to it while i'm driving..but I know it's there somewhere...it might be be vent, (it's not seat belt cause I pin it down...and it doesn't make noise)
6.) driver's side A-pillar (might be this or the vent)
7.) driver's vent (might be this or A-pillar)
8.) homelink area (it might not be homelink and it might just be the visors)

I'm not sure if these are the correct names...I'm gonna take it in on the 24th..hopefully I can reproduce most or all of them. They come and go.

at least I don't have the rear sub speaker rattle..
Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. doesn't this suck? hopefully they can fix them all quickly. i had an annoying rattle and i got tired of the dealer telling me it is a characteristic - so i ordered the replacement trim pc to fix it myself. hopefully your dealer will take care of the rattles. let us know how it goes.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Terse - thanks for the listing.

I've had my 05TL for two weeks and everytime I drive it (not counting when I'm passing G35s) I listen for potential rattles since I've read so much about them on this forum. So far, I only have 2 and they only occur intermittently (going over lane dots, rough road, etc.):

1) sounds like it's between the passenger side doors, slightly behind the seatbelt area on the door panel - need to get someone to ride with me to find it - might be door panel rear passenger side, and

2) like your #8 (homelink area) - since this one is close by, I have isolated it by applying slight upward pressure with the heel of my right hand at the cutout for the sunroof with the sunvisor open

I'll batch these up with any other problems I encounter for the dealer at my first oil change.

Good luck and let us all know what happens. If there is a way to fix it without needing the dealer to tear through it, I'd rather do it myself.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
I Want CD Text for 35k

my car is becoming my personal orchestra. i have 3 distinct rattles all the time. they all sound different.

one from the drivers side vent.
one from the rear somewhere.
one from the drivers seatbelt mount.

i have an appointment on monday. they better be able to fix these. i cant take them. its all i hear when i drive the damn thing.

if i wanted these rattle i would have kept my '03 altima.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great title!

Originally Posted by terse

Okay, I've put maybe..5250 miles on my car and I've realized i have 4 to 8 distinctive rattles...

2.) center speaker
3.) driver's side visor
4.) passenger side visor
5.) passenger side door speaker or somewhere near there...can't listen to it while i'm driving..but I know it's there somewhere...it might be be vent, (it's not seat belt cause I pin it down...and it doesn't make noise)

I'm not sure if these are the correct names...I'm gonna take it in on the 24th..hopefully I can reproduce most or all of them. They come and go.

I have a 04 TL with 11,500 miles on it. I have all the rattles you listed except #8. I took care of the glove box rattle recently (thank god). I also have a surround "popping" noise coming from all over the interior.

Although I love the mechanics of my car (nice engine, etc), I really hate the way Acura built the interior parts (although I understand they had to cut corners to save money by giving away all the extra stuff).
Old 03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by Novice
I have a 04 TL with 11,500 miles on it. I have all the rattles you listed except #8. I took care of the glove box rattle recently (thank god). I also have a surround "popping" noise coming from all over the interior.

Although I love the mechanics of my car (nice engine, etc), I really hate the way Acura built the interior parts (although I understand they had to cut corners to save money by giving away all the extra stuff).

how did you take care of the glove box one...maybe that's the sound i'm getting for my number 5.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:21 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Yeah, the rattles bum me out as well. I have at least 4 with most comming from various places in the dash. But all this talk about rattles may have made me over sensitive. My wife's 03 Pilot rattles like a sob, and much more than my TL, but it is an SUV. All cars probably rattle to some degree I would guess...at least I hope the TL is not unusual in that regard. Otherwise i'ts a great car. RWD or AWD and 50 more hp/torque would make it perfect IMO.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I have 6500 miles and yeah, the rattles bum me out as well. A lot of rough roads arround here. I have at least 4 with most comming from various places in the dash. But all this talk about rattles may have made me over sensitive. I have little hope that the dealer will be able to fix all of them at my next service and my personal efforts haven't been too successful. My wife's 03 Pilot rattles like a sob, however, and much more than my TL, but it is an SUV. All cars probably rattle to some degree I would guess...at least I hope the TL is not unusual in that regard. Otherwise i'ts a great car. RWD or AWD and 50 more hp/torque would make it perfect IMO.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

how did you take care of the glove box one...maybe that's the sound i'm getting for my number 5.
I used a pretty drastic method as this rattle was pissing me off so much!

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/internation-auto-salon-4-26-2003-los-angeles-conv-center-101293/
Old 03-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Awesome to the Max

Above: This is the driver's side vent area where I realized it's really squeaky (notice that where the arrow is..it's slightly higher than the sides) and I was wondering if it's like this for everyone else. Whenever I push against (from the top) it's squeaks (I got my digital camera and recorded the sound it makes, if anyone wants to listen to the actual sound, I can send it to your email - it's like 5 MB's though) and I think it causes the vibration in my front dash speaker. I'm am not 100% sure, but when I hold this down and start on first gear and make a jerky second...it doesn't rattle from the driver's side front speaker, but it still rattles from center speaker.

I also noticed that my turn signals might also be causing the rattles. Anyone else have TURN SIGNAL RATTLES? Dude, I have so many rattles I'm confused where they are actually coming from. Maybe nothing in my car is rattling and it's just my ears?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Advanced

I fixed the rattle that seemed to be coming from the driver's side vent by securing the plastic piece on the bottom of the dashboard near where your left knee is. There is a junction between two pieces of plastic that rattles when you tap it, this rattle will vibrate through the air vent, so it soulds like it is coming from the vent.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Terse,

(2) Did you try the fix in the garage for this? I had the same rattle and the fix took care of it.

(3) & (4) & (8) I bet your culprit is the vanity mirror's on both of the sun visor's. That was where my rattle was coming from, even though it sounded like it was coming from the dash somewhere. I just used some felt to put around the light on the headliner so the plastic of the vanity mirror doesn't rattle up against it. I just drove with the visor's down so they weren't flush up against the headliner to see if the rattle stopped....and it did. You could also check the rattle by pulling down on the visor and letting it "snap" back up into the headliner, that produced the same noise as when you're driving. Let me know if this helps, I don't know about you but I'd much rather take care of the rattles on my own if I can, I know I'd be a lot more careful.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by Goldglv
Terse,

(2) Did you try the fix in the garage for this? I had the same rattle and the fix took care of it.

(3) & (4) & (8) I bet your culprit is the vanity mirror's on both of the sun visor's. That was where my rattle was coming from, even though it sounded like it was coming from the dash somewhere. I just used some felt to put around the light on the headliner so the plastic of the vanity mirror doesn't rattle up against it. I just drove with the visor's down so they weren't flush up against the headliner to see if the rattle stopped....and it did. You could also check the rattle by pulling down on the visor and letting it "snap" back up into the headliner, that produced the same noise as when you're driving. Let me know if this helps, I don't know about you but I'd much rather take care of the rattles on my own if I can, I know I'd be a lot more careful.
you put felt on the light on the headliner?

you put tape in the actual mirror itself? where can i buy this tape? thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

You can also get a thin foam layer (the kind that comes with ccomputer monitors, etc) and just put it between the mirror and door.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Instructor

you put felt on the light on the headliner?

you put tape in the actual mirror itself? where can i buy this tape? thanks
Yes, I put some small pieces of felt on the 4 corners of the light on the headliner. I didn't put any tape on the mirror, just on the light. The light for the vanity mirror is "stitched" into the headliner itself. With most vanity mirrors the light is actually IN the mirror itself but with my 04 TL, the light is in the headliner. I bought the felt at home depot. You can also use those little rubber stoppers that you see on kitchen cabinet doors, to keep the door and the cabinet from slamming together. I know a few people on this board used those and they liked them. The foam for the center speaker I also bought from home depot, it's weather stripping for windows, it worked great, took care of that center speaker rattle. Hope this helps
Old 03-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Is #8 the air deflector?

2.) center speaker
3.) driver's side visor
4.) passenger side visor

For #8 - I found today that when I put my fingers on the plastic air deflector inside the sunroof area above homelink (the piece that pops up when you open the sunroof), the vibration and sound is coming from there when the sunroof is closed. I have no idea how to stop it.....yet.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Wait till you get to 20,000 miles like me... you'll need to raise the volume even more to counterbalance the rattles.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
For #8 - I found today that when I put my fingers on the plastic air deflector inside the sunroof area above homelink (the piece that pops up when you open the sunroof), the vibration and sound is coming from there when the sunroof is closed. I have no idea how to stop it.....yet.
I'm in the same boat as you are here and I have no idea how to stop it yet either, if you come up with a fix, please let us know.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Awesome to the Max

i just bought some double sided foam tape and some felt pads...i'm gonna try stuff tonight..