Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alas, happily, my TL is gone...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Alas, happily, my TL is gone...

I'm sure you'll all applaud that you won't have to hear from me about my TL anymore. Acura piece of crap 2004 #259 is off the streets and outta my driveway.

Last week they finally settled the deal with me, 1 year after starting the whole process. And they tried to screw me to the very end.

During the whole ordeal, it kept going on so long that I had to keep making more car payments after we settled on the buy-back dollar amounts, so the checks were wrong. Between Honda's 3rd party mitigation group (who are the rudest, most hardassed pricks in this country), and my lawyer, it was discussed that since I made more payments, then the loan payoff would be lower, and the check that Honda sent would be bigger and I'd get the overage back. Of course anyone realizes that part of my payment was interest, not all principal, so they would not be equal, but I obliged. At the closing, they tried to get me to sign a form that said they get the overages back. So here I am, thinking this is done, and we're all on the phones to lawyers and mitigation groups again.

But for the first time in this whole ordeal, Acura (dealership) stuck up for me, he called the mitigation group and basically told them they are coughing up the difference right then and there if they want me to sign the form. They did and I walked away happy.

At the closing I was supposed to meet gentleman #1, he wasn't there and said I was to deal with lady #1, who was very nice, but had this dropped on her desk and guy#1 didn't tell her one word about it. Crap service incident #1.

Lady #1 was very nice, very apologetic, and I had no issues with her, she did her very best and was a great employee in my short experience. She took me to mgr #1, who upon reading my 2 years of service records was disgusted and shocked that NO-ONE ever tried giving me a set of Michelins. He said it was a known fix, and made a few phone calls to set up a meeting with other mgrs and regional reps right there while I was there to discuss this never happening again. He's the one who made the calls to Honda's Indignant Group Services, and got things squared away. Kudos to him. Told him that although the vibration was #1 biggest bug, it wasn't the only thing wrong with this car and I would have filed Lemon anyway.

He then of course tried to sell me another one, which got a REAL big laugh out of me and my friend who was giving me a ride, which Acura wouldn't, said they didn't care and it wasn't their fault that they missed the previous week's deadline when I had arranged transportation, which it WAS their fault cuz they didn't have the checks ready. Told him the only business he could get out of me was to sell me an RL for the price of the TL, he just laughed and I walked out.

All and all, there is not one good thing I can say about this entire experience, about Honda, about Acura. If this is what they call TLC, Total Luxure Care, it should be TCL, Total Care-Less. The car had a great desire, it has a great heart, it has a great soul, it just has crap for infrastructure around it building it and supporting it.

J.D. Harwell at Ed Voyles Acura is a GREAT service rep, he will reach to all ends for you, even tho the service shop there SUCKS, can't balance tires, overfilled my Tranny, and put in the wrong oil. His regional rep Mike Wooden, tried to mitigate this situation, but corporate Honda said "we don't have to do anything he recommends", and shot down his efforts. They are the only 2 people I can say anything positive about in this whole rant.

Good Luck to those of you who have fully functioning TL's, I know they have to exist. I'll be back here and then just to read and add any knowledgeable points I can make on problems or technology.

Caddy CTS-V, here I come...............
Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Wants an M3 in

glad to see you are finallly freee!! mine takes in water in the back seat! YES!!!! They have tried fixing this once but made the problem worse. Now it goes in again this weekend. How many times do you have to take a car in before you can claim it is a lemon? Is it 3? I forget. Please refresh me.

I would just get another one though. heh .... or wait for the IS350
Old 05-02-2005, 08:50 AM
VTEC HoooA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherlock

All and all, there is not one good thing I can say about this entire experience, about Honda, about Acura. If this is what they call TLC, Total Luxure Care, it should be TCL, Total Care-Less. The car had a great desire, it has a great heart, it has a great soul, it just has crap for infrastructure around it building it and supporting it.

I could not agree more with that statement. I want to love the TL, but alas it is in the damn service center waaaaaay too frequently. Each time I bring it in, I find that either the original issue is not resolved, or worse the issue I brought it in for IS resolved but the dealership caused a secondary problem. A friend of mine brought his Acura in for an oil change (he brought his own oil with him 6 quarts worth). He comes in to pickup the car to find 6 empty bottles...yup the tech put in ALL 6 quarts. Another stunning Acura service win.

Acura may be selling these cars left and right, but I for one will NEVER buy another one!! I am sure I am not alone in that sentiment. They do not have the DNA to take care of the luxury customer. Lexus does, Infiniti surely does, but Acura is truly missing the boat.

I have been drooling over the CTS-V ever since I got to drive one at the GM auto show. Granted the interior is a bit lacking finesse wise, but the car is absolutely balls out fun to drive. I was smiling for a week after that test drive. I would venture to say that the gas mileage will be equivalent to the TL as well (I am getting 16mpg consistently).

Enjoy and god speed!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey sherlock didn't you have a 2G as well?

I got to agree that acura is missing the boat on this one. They manage to capture a market but are losing it fast. Only the newbies are buying this car and anyone who wants a true upscale car with upscale service is not buying a TL. Not to slam the car, it is acura's fault.
Sure you might blow by someone on the road thinking that you pay 33k and it is better than the 36k car. In reality someone else is saying I am glad I do not have one.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Weren't you the guy that drove 4 hours away from the dealership next door to your house because of a couple hundred dollar feud over the delivered price?

BJ
Old 05-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Instructor

BJ - No need to slam him. If he was unhappy with his car (and if I had his problems, I'd be pissed too) then I'm glad he's out of it and will get something different.

The reason there are so many choices of cars out there and all these companies stay in business is there is something for everyone. And cars aren't perfect. Lemon laws exist for a reason. And ALL makes and models have their share of lemons. It sucks for him, but he got one. And it jaded him on Acura. And I don't blame him.

But for each one of him, there are people trading in their lemon Infinitys, Lexuses, Volvos, BMWs too. And each one of them will swear off what they traded in and try something new.

Personally, I love my TL, and have been fortunate to this date that I haven't had a single issue with it. Hopefully he will have the same results with his Caddy.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

...Good Luck to those of you who have fully functioning TL's, I know they have to exist. I'll be back here and then just to read and add any knowledgeable points I can make on problems or technology.

Glad to hear that you found the way to get rid of Maxwell. Please come back to say HELLO sometimes...
Old 05-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
We expect pics of the new ride... but in Car Talk
Congrats on finally getting free, good luck with the CTS-V, very nice ride
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See ya
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c

I got to agree that acura is missing the boat on this one. They manage to capture a market but are losing it fast. Only the newbies are buying this car and anyone who wants a true upscale car with upscale service is not buying a TL. Not to slam the car, it is acura's fault.
Sure you might blow by someone on the road thinking that you pay 33k and it is better than the 36k car. In reality someone else is saying I am glad I do not have one.
One thing we might agree on is that the individual dealer/service department is the front line of the problem. Some individual cars have problems, not all of them.

I'm pleased with mine; have you thought about selling yours?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

Screw the CTS get a Lexus GS430 or the GS300.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Good Luck to those of you who have fully functioning TL's
sorry to hear your TL had so many problems. I feel cha as I have 4 neighbors also have 3rd Gen TLs and 2 of them have problems with theirs (virbration, rattle, flat spots on tire, glove c. box, etc). I'm happy with my TL, just it's not as fast I expect it to be (not that it's slow). But I am also in the market for a camaro SS get fill my TRQ urge that I can't get out of my TL.

good luck with your CTS-V.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the words guys.

Yes I was the one who drove only an hour east to pick up my TL. It was the difference of only $500, but it was also the difference of having it next day, or 6 weeks, individual preferences vary. And it's also my way of saying: Look you stuck up pricks for salesmen in Atlanta, Athens was willing to beat your price if only by a little, so ,,|,,. Atlanta dealers think because Atlantans have money, why should they bother.

I did think about the GS, but even the GS300 starts in the mid 40's, for 5 more I get the CTS-V and 150 more horsies. That and I don't like the tails on the GS.

Yup I had a 2G TLp as well, that's where I got the handle on here of Sherlock, that was my first Acura. Minus one stupid issue (steering wheel column cover kept popping loose, but was fixed in one trip), that car was built infinately better than this one. I know the gent I sold it to here in the company and he's not had one lick of probs with it, not even the infamous tranny wreckage.

The RL is out because it is also a first production year model, I think I learned my lesson on buying anything BRAND new from Hondon't or Crapura.

However, one intriguing option, tho not this year cuz it's again a first model year, is the Accord Hybrid. It's 100% Japan made and assembled, 255hp, gotta be around 300lb/ft, leather, navi, xm, 6cd, just no sunroof. And one of the reps at the car show said a coupe is coming. I love the leather door inserts, the pattern is cool, I already liked the interior and the exterior.. I just don't know philosophically if I want to hand them money right now after their TLC.

Time to finish my Chai Latte and run around the ceiling here at work for a while.

Thanks for the cheers, yea's and nay's and everything else. See ya 'round.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yay, your ordeal is over!

Finally. You deserve a good outcome as you had more than your share of problems.

Let us know how the Caddy treats you. That CTS-V is a mean piece of machinery.....
Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Honestly, and I know you'll all laugh, I'm waiting to see if they put an Auto in it.. I know I know I know, but I want one for when I don't feel like driving stick which my Accord is. I do LOVE driving stick, but sometimes it's nice like in my ex-TL to just get on it and relax. And obliterate.

Time to get outta the office fer the day, mańana y'all.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:37 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Honestly, and I know you'll all laugh, I'm waiting to see if they put an Auto in it.. I know I know I know, but I want one for when I don't feel like driving stick which my Accord is. I do LOVE driving stick, but sometimes it's nice like in my ex-TL to just get on it and relax. And obliterate.

The S4 is also a wonderful machine near that price and it has a DSG to boot!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on the CTS-V ... awesome ride!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Time to get outta the office at 3pm on Monday afternoon???

Do you have any jobs over there? Sounds like pretty good hours to me. What time do you get off on Friday? Noon? Hey I am in Atlanta should I send over a resume?.....LOL

good luck with the Caddy, post back after a couple weeks and give us a reveiw of it. Always good to hear about what other cars drive like. I never know, might get the new car bug at any time.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Caddies require up keep, but that CTS-V is nice, at 4.7 to 60. Thats pretty good.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by EpiK
BJ - No need to slam him.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:04 PM
people die violently.

finally. one less TL on the streets!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM
coo
2nd Gear

Sherlock,

Could I persuade you to send me the legal docs on your case? I am on '04 TL #2 and still pissed. I just want them to take the damn thing back. I have driven Acuras for 7 years now and have owned 5. The new TL DOES NOT live up to the Acura name I remember from the past. Cool car, fast, sexy, but not built worth a damn. Nothing but problems with the new TL, I should have keep my RL.

Thanks in advance with any and all help,

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I get out at 3pm cuz I get in at 6am. It's the shift I chose to avoid these things called Georgia drivers. We can work any hours we please here, as long as we get the work done. Normally it's 6:30-3:30 for me. It's very flexible and it's one of the benefits we here at Southern Company really take to heart, get the work done, and they're happy. And no.. Friday's we leave at 1, not noon *snicker*

Coo: I'll pvt msg ya and tell ya some do's and dont's of the whole fiasco, 1 and maybe 2 others here in ATL have also finished handing back their $35K glass of lemonade so there's plenty of input around.

The S4 is appealing, but want a slightly bigger car at least A6 range. Saw an S8 the other day in town.. schweeeeet. But SouthernCo doesn't pay me THAT much.

BTW, anyone have any experience supercharging a 98 accord 4cyl ?? I think dear ole Watson is due for some horsies. (and no I don't want to go turbo)

And yes.. the CTS-V at 4.7 to 60 is what's make my prince albert tingle when I think about it.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

05AcuraTL: love your Avatar, the aspect ratio makes it look like a RSX-TL
Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
coo
2nd Gear

Thanks, I look forward to your PM

-Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
Acura TL Sales

April 2005 7206
April 2004 6711

It appears these TL buyers are not adhereing to your insight and wisdom.

Originally Posted by mickey3c

Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Acura / Honda isnt perfect but i think unfortunately life has strange twists and turns. Everyone i know has a either a BMW or a Mercedes, at least the guys that stuck it through college. Its a generation and ethnic thing in my situation. What was the turning point for me was driving to a vacation house and have a bmw 7 series stall out at 70mph ( with only 5k miles on it). The car acted like it was being assimilated by the borg, flashing lights etc. Then pitch blacknes at 1am on a deserted highway. We hiked back to a gas station and stayed in a hotel. NO BMW service for 2 days. So no car company has a spotless record. For 34k with tax you get a pretty powerful car with no option bs add ons. I had a 2001 TL and they stole the headlights in NY, which pissed me off to no end.
As for loyalty and service I think unfortunatly if your in a area with little luxury car saturation you may get less. There are 5 Acura dealers within 30 miles of my house. Not to mention the Lexus , BMW , Mercedes etc etc. All fighting for my dollar. When i went to look for my 2005 TL , what impressed me is that one dealerships offered me more on my trade than I should have got because of the damage to the area where they stole the lights. Of course I used them. I think that personal individual care can only come from the dealer, it also doesnt hurt to have good local lemon laws. In Sherlock's case a dealer that wouldnt swap a car out so you wouldnt be pissed needs his head examined. They can write that stuff off easily, use the car for a loaner etc. I would put more blame on your dealership OWNER, not the salesman or pee-ons at the counter, they can be working at lexus tommorow. I suspect your in a low volume area, unless your near atlanta.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Instructor

I'm in the same boat. I sent you a PM. I filed a lemon law claim last month and, as an atty, I'm willing to wait this out to the end. I just leased (picking up THurs) for my wife a Lexus GX470; sealed the deal tonight. Awesome vehicle. I am going to park the TL in my garage for the duration of this thing - drive my wife's 2000 Expedition until resolved and let her drive the GX. I spoke with my lemon law atty today and told her the car was vibrating so much I was sick of it. I would park it to avoid excess mileage and the possibility of wrecking it. I think it should help my case that I'm not even driving it and can wait this thing out. My 2000 Expy with 90,000 miles on it rides better than my 2004 TL. A shame.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. At least you won't have the TL to kick around anymore. But from what I've heard about Caddy quality, I hope you aren't jumping from the fying pan into the fire! Good fortune with whatever you end up with.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Quote: "it is also a first production year model, I think I learned my lesson on buying anything BRAND new from Hondon't or Crapura. "

This is the moral of the story. Don't buy a 1st year car ....from any manufacturer.

Its a good resolution that you got a manufacturer buy-back (hopefully repaid you all your payments and down payment) ...

that's the law in California if you have a new vehicle with defect(s) that substantially impair your use, safety, or the value of the vehicle and the dealer is unable to successfully repair this problem in a reasonable number of attempts.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but I have not had a single problem with my 05' TL Auto-Navi w/Michelins. I cannot say the same about my prior vehicle, a new 01 BMW 5 series (not even a first year vehicle) which was in for repairs every other month. Its was a great ride when it worked but Never again BMW.

I mean its bad when you really know your service rep (and his goals in life) and your car is new.