Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alarm upgrade

I would like addition coverage, but don't want to lose the stock alarm or key fob. Can components like shock sensors be added or must you add and integrate a new alarm with the stock one? Can you add a remote start and keep the key fob, how would this work if possible? I was thinking about a pager, they have add-on ones, but now that might just be overly neurotic about the car.

Car is good stopping theft of itself, but doesn't potect valuables inside. I atleast want a shock sensor on motion sensor as I travel for business w/ a laptop and important papers.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote start and pager are options that will not work with your existing key fob. And you're right about the stock alarm -- it'll stop rookies from stealing your car, but that's about it.

If you want window breakage protection, motion detection, remote start, windows up/down control, pager notification, etc., you'll need an aftermarket alarm which will render your stock key fobs useless.

Believe me, you won't miss you key fobs once the new alarm system gets put in! I didn't.

V.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by vperkins2
Remote start and pager are options that will not work with your existing key fob. And you're right about the stock alarm -- it'll stop rookies from stealing your car, but that's about it.

If you want window breakage protection, motion detection, remote start, windows up/down control, pager notification, etc., you'll need an aftermarket alarm which will render your stock key fobs useless.

Believe me, you won't miss you key fobs once the new alarm system gets put in! I didn't.

V.
Hey Perkins,
You're right, our OEM alarm is the bare bones basic, if that! By the way, your alarm kicks (good meeting you last Thursday). Too bad I can't get the remote starter because I have the 6MT. Looks like I might get the Clifford RSX2.5 (3.5 has the remote starter).
Old 03-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Perkins gimme some more info on your system......
might have to steal your idea/ system
Old 03-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless it is one of those BMW in James Bond movie, I can't see how an alarm could protect your laptop ... your car can scream and yell as loud as you want, but so what ... how long would it takes to break your glass, grab your laptop and walk away ...

It would be really nice if your can deliver an electric shock like the one in the movie though ...
Old 03-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

no, but it goves something so that I can be alerted, then my louis ville slugger will do the rest. As of now somebody can jsut break the window, reach in, and do whatever. This bring some attention to the car atleast
Old 03-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Lurker

Wouldn't people be better off with a Teletrak or Lojack or some other tracking device. Even with a pager, can't car theives make off with a car in just a minute or two?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

If they are that good they will get it and insurance will take over. I am more worried about hoodlums with corw bars looking for a quick buck or jsut to steal contents......
Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Racer

I have installed an additional alarm, Hornet 700T, tied in to the factory system. Still uses the same remotes. It was the best $120 i've spent on the car. I still have the factory alarm with horn and lights but now I also have a shock sensor and another sounding alarm as well.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Originally posted by lovepo9e
I have installed an additional alarm, Hornet 700T, tied in to the factory system. Still uses the same remotes. It was the best $120 i've spent on the car. I still have the factory alarm with horn and lights but now I also have a shock sensor and another sounding alarm as well.
Did you install this yourself or did someone or the dealer do it for you? This sounds like a good deal.

TL-Rocket
Old 03-31-2004, 04:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by moreace
If they are that good they will get it and insurance will take over. I am more worried about hoodlums with corw bars looking for a quick buck or jsut to steal contents......

it isn't 1979.... I don't see this kind of problem happening today like it did in the world a long time ago...

I dont see people smashing car windows to take what is inside... too risky... too much trouble... and if they were to, it would be an old crappy car that they know has no protectioin.