Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning is warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning is warm

I need some help diagnosing a problem with my a/c in my 04 TL from knowledgable experienced members. What i don't need is some clueless people telling me to go the dealer. In 16 years I have never gone to the dealer and Im not starting now. So basically i had recently turned on my A/C which blew hot air. I got a do it yourself charging system. the gauge said the freon was low. I charged the system without issue. for a couple of days the a/c worked good but not great. I reattached the gauge and it shows its full of freon and no i don't know what the high and low pressure is. I checked and the compressor is turning on when the a/c button is pressed. also i can see on the compressor a part number written it chalk, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out the previous owner already had it replaced. Im thinking the a/c relay is fried but i don't know where to find it to replace it. Im also thinking a door could be stuck in the climate system. One thing i will tell you is that the driver side vent is less warm than the passenger side if that helps. Any non dealer suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
unfortunately you can spend a lot of money troubleshooting this by yourself. It is better to have someone look at it in person who knows what they are doing. Not necessarily a dealer, maybe a friend/dad/dads friend?

I have an 04 tsx, same exact problem. I've replace almost every AC component, had almost a dozen recharges, and had Honda do it all. Few thousand dollars and 2 years later I still have AC that comes and goes randomly and usually takes about 20 minutes to blow cold air from the time I turn it on.

All I can say is good luck, there are some button combinations you can push on your HVAC controls to do minor system diagnostics. I don't know the codes for the TL's, other might be able to shed light on this.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Might as well go to the 3G section.

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Moving this to 3G TL
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
All I can say is good luck, there are some button combinations you can push on your HVAC controls to do minor system diagnostics. I don't know the codes for the TL's, other might be able to shed light on this.
try this first..and look at this trend also

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/2006-tl-air-conditioning-self-diag-code-meaning-860536/
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
One of the most common problems with AC systems when charging it yourself is overcharging.

Is your compressor staying on or kicking on and off? If you set the AC to high, non-recirculating, and on a day any warmer than 80F, it should pretty much stay on indefinitely. If it's kicking on and off with those settings and at that temperature (80F) or higher, then your refrigerant is likely too high (or too low, but I'm assuming that's not the case since you added refrigerant) and the compressor is kicking off to prevent damage from high pressure due to too much refrigerant.

Are you using the pressure specs from Acura or just generic ones from the gauge? Different cars have different pressure specs. If the above scenario is happening, I’d recommend evacuating the system just a little bit at a time until the compressor stays on without kicking on and off.

If the compressor is staying on and still blowing cold air or if evacuating/adding refrigerant doesn’t solve the problem, then you have larger problems at hand and should probably take it to a shop that knows a thing or two about AC. They can often diagnose the problem very quickly rather than you wasting hours fiddling around and possibly goofing something up.

Here’s a thread on measuring and specs on pressures for the TL:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785909
Old 06-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Well first thing, if you used freon, you screwed the pooch. Our systems use R-134a refrigerant.

Take you car to a reputable shop you trust and have them diagnose your system. I avoid taking mine to a dealer and much prefer an independent, local shop for service.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 06-26-2012 at 05:34 AM.