Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Sound System

I don't really see any threads regarding after market stereo systems for the 3rd Gen TL. Even as great as the stock DVD-A system, there must be some owners out there that want to upgrade. Is integration with the stock system THAT difficult? Just curious. I have a 2nd Gen TL and sound system upgrades were very common.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:41 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Speakers and Upgrades ???

I have also been looking to do an aftermarket stereo upgrade in my 04TL. In fact, I had started a thread on the subject in this section of the forum, and it was soon moved to the Audio/Video section (see link below).

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82090

At any rate, my biggest concern was the level of effort involved in getting at the front dash speakers on my TL which has the Navi. It looks like speaker modifications to this dashboard would be like trying to install tweeters in a 747. I am concerned about pulling the whole thing apart just to get back there.

I am not as satisfied with the sound quality of the ELS system as other members on this forum, but I (we) are not alone. The marketing materials produced by Acura regarding the ELS system would lead you to believe that this stereo is the greatest system ever created. In fact, I remember reading that a decision was made NOT to include support for MP3 music as the sound quality of the compressed files are not good enough. Personally, I think that is B.S.! The ELS system comes with XM radio built in – and I have far better sounding MP3s than the compressed content XM provides.

Back to the subject, I have been unable to find anyone in my area (South Florida) who has done a speaker upgrade in the 3rd gen TLs. I have called Crutchfield to see if they have done any research on the car and its configuration, but they have not. I have emailed soundgate.com with the same question, and again I came up empty.

So, unfortunately I do not have any answers for you at the moment. I will be keeping an eye on this thread and continuing with the phone calls and emails until I get the answers. I will surely post my finding on this forum.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

Ahhh, didn't noticed the A/V section. It's been awhile since I've been back here.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:20 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

AV Section

My only problem with the A/V section is that issues for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation TLs are lumped into the same area. I originally posted to the 3rd gen area because it seems that stereo issues for the 04s are very different from previous model years.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

I would love to upgrade my sounds. I can't wait till someone in the Mid west is able to do it.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yano_jl
Back to the subject, I have been unable to find anyone in my area (South Florida) who has done a speaker upgrade in the 3rd gen TLs. I have called Crutchfield to see if they have done any research on the car and its configuration, but they have not. I have emailed soundgate.com with the same question, and again I came up empty.

So, unfortunately I do not have any answers for you at the moment. I will be keeping an eye on this thread and continuing with the phone calls and emails until I get the answers. I will surely post my finding on this forum.
Maybe I can help you out. I've had success in upgrading sound systems in a BMW 330Ci and Lexus SC300 by dealing with Sounds Good Stereo.

They were actually recommended to me several years ago by the BMW dealership where I purchased the 330Ci. They handle all of the dealer's installation/upgrades. They also install sound systems in Bentleys, Ferraris, etc., so they really know their stuff. They installed a sub and MBQuart speakers in my BMW. They installed an amp and MBQuart speakers in my Lexus. I was very satisfied with the results in both cases.

The owner's name is Mark. I would recommend you deal only with him if possible. The staff isn't that user friendly, but they are very technically savvy so that makes it easier to overlook. If there is anyone who could tackle the ELS system in the TL it would probably be Sounds Good. Their web site is www.soundsgoodstereo.com, and they're located in Miami and North Miami Beach. I'm in no way affiliated, but I have had great success working with them.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Thanks for the lead

Maybe I can help you out. I've had success in upgrading sound systems in a BMW 330Ci and Lexus SC300 by dealing with Sounds Good Stereo.

dseag2,
Thanks for the lead. I will definitely follow up!
Old 06-09-2004, 07:52 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by yano_jl

dseag2,
Thanks for the lead. I will definitely follow up!
Let us know what you find out, both about the TL in particular and your impressions of the store in general. I emailed them with some questions about getting some improvements done on my new 330Ci (I'll be visiting family in FL in August), and I asked them for recommendations for car audio work in Houston as well.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If someone figures out how to intercept the preamp signal prior to equalization, I hope that they will post it. My installer may be poking around on this as early as mid-July. Once we know that, everything else will fall into place.