Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket ATF (i hate cars chime in!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickRick
IT IS rated to be installed in Honda cars needing Z1 fluid.
Yes, Amsoil ATF it is, but if you read the posts, they are talking about ATD, which is not recommended as a replacement for the Z1.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I think his intention was to make sure people know that Amsoil recommends its universal ATF as a replacement for Z1.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I wanted to use the Amsoil ATF and do a 3x3, I'd be spending $120 for 3 gallons of the stuff to do it right?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilDogge
So if I wanted to use the Amsoil ATF and do a 3x3, I'd be spending $120 for 3 gallons of the stuff to do it right?
Yes, but you can safely go 100,000 miles before replacement. At that mileage it will still be in better shape than Z1 at 20,000 miles.

Mine was well on it's way before the idiot tech installed 3 quarts of Z1 in mine instead of the ATD I left for him. Now I have to do at least one more drain and fill, maybe two more to be safe.

To ease my mind going that long, I've installed a magnefine inline trans fluid filter to take care of any contaminates.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yes, but you can safely go 100,000 miles before replacement. At that mileage it will still be in better shape than Z1 at 20,000 miles.

Mine was well on it's way before the idiot tech installed 3 quarts of Z1 in mine instead of the ATD I left for him. Now I have to do at least one more drain and fill, maybe two more to be safe.

To ease my mind going that long, I've installed a magnefine inline trans fluid filter to take care of any contaminates.
100K miles!!.. what makes ATD more robust than Z1? That's an amazing claim. I have a REMAN trans that is under warranty but if it's that good I'll fill it with ATD.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
100K miles!!.. what makes ATD more robust than Z1? That's an amazing claim. I have a REMAN trans that is under warranty but if it's that good I'll fill it with ATD.
In certain scenarios, it's capable of 300,000 in vehicles with large sumps. It's a synthetic straight weight oil so it won't shear down over time and it doesn't oxidize (well barely). Sheer and oxidation are the two main reasons for having to change an ATF.

Z1, judging from it's performance has a very poor base oil. This is the opinion of many who are better educated than me.

The only factor that would go against leaving it in for 100K+ miles would be the possible contaminate load which is usually low for a transmission anyway.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM

In certain scenarios, it's capable of 300,000 in vehicles with large sumps. It's a synthetic straight weight oil so it won't shear down over time and it doesn't oxidize (well barely). Sheer and oxidation are the two main reasons for having to change an ATF.

Z1, judging from it's performance has a very poor base oil. This is the opinion of many who are better educated than me.

The only factor that would go against leaving it in for 100K+ miles would be the possible contaminate load which is usually low for a transmission anyway.
I'm definitely going to have to do some serious research about the subject. Were you able to take a look at your ATF when you took it in? I'd be real interested in knowing what condition it was in. The Z1 fluid seems to turn dark / sludge pretty quick from what other members have posted.

Also.. any opinions on Royal Purple?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

I'm definitely going to have to do some serious research about the subject. Were you able to take a look at your ATF when you took it in? I'd be real interested in knowing what condition it was in. The Z1 fluid seems to turn dark / sludge pretty quick from what other members have posted.

Also.. any opinions on Royal Purple?
At 20K, when I first changed mine, it was nearly black. I thought my trans was on it's way out. The Amsoil hasn't changed color in the past 45,000-50,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you recommend that I get the fluid from the Amsoil online store? Seems pretty pricey - ~$200 for 3 gallons, so I'm not sure if there's a cheaper alternative.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM

At 20K, when I first changed mine, it was nearly black. I thought my trans was on it's way out. The Amsoil hasn't changed color in the past 45,000-50,000 miles.
That's good enough for me.. ATD it is!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Just curious, what color is the Amsoil ATF, or ATD, when new?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure it's still pink.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by knavinusa
I'm pretty sure it's still pink.
Sorry, but you haven't used the Amsoil yet, have you?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's some fuel for the fire:
Amsoil ATF

I have been using the Amsoil ATF for over 25,000 miles now and can tell you some of my own personal findings. I drained and filled the transmission three times and finally kept the fourth fill in so I believe I only had Amsoil ATF in the transmission. With 42,000 now on the odometer, I started to hear a whine noise; therefore, I pulled the transmission dipstick and saw the fluid very dark, almost black in color but with no unusual odor. I freaked out and sent in a sample of the fluid to Blackstone for their comments and findings. They sent back the results of the analysis which shows no breakdown in the fluid and that the fluid is fine except for the fact that the aluminum content in the fluid is over three times the average it should have. Blackstone indicated that the high aluminum in the ATF probably is a torque converter problem.
I then sent in a sample of the fluid directly to Amsoil for technical analysis. They determined that the fluid is fine, is o.k. for continued use and they don't know why the aluminum content is high. They also noted a high aluminum content but did not state any comments about the high number.
Anyways I called Amsoil and they stated that I have no claim as far as the oil damaging the torque converter and that the oil is o.k. for continued use. I stated that the oil is not correct for my application and that's probably the reason I have the whine and high aluminum count in the fluid. Anyways they denied my claim and said they will continue to endorse Amsoil in Honda applications requiring Z-1 fluid.
I was lucky as I drained and filled my transmission with Honda Z-1 fluid and brought the vehicle to Honda. They have never seen a Honda CRV transmission whine and were really surprised when they saw my relatively low mileage. The technician was really nice and goodwilled my transmission and torque converter with another torque converter and transmission even though I am outside the warranty period. The whine is gone and the transmission shifts a little more firm.
Amsoil may make some good products but I can tell you that I will not use their ATF in my Honda CRV ever again. I now believe in Z-1 only in my CRV transmission.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Sorry, but you haven't used the Amsoil yet, have you?
Well, judging from the picture they have for ATD, I can firmly say it can't be anything else other than pink regardless of whether I've tried it yet.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Just curious, what color is the Amsoil ATF, or ATD, when new?
They're both red but the ATD looks a little darker. Could be my imagination though.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

Amsoil ATF

I have been using the Amsoil ATF for over 25,000 miles now and can tell you some of my own personal findings. I drained and filled the transmission three times and finally kept the fourth fill in so I believe I only had Amsoil ATF in the transmission. With 42,000 now on the odometer, I started to hear a whine noise; therefore, I pulled the transmission dipstick and saw the fluid very dark, almost black in color but with no unusual odor. I freaked out and sent in a sample of the fluid to Blackstone for their comments and findings. They sent back the results of the analysis which shows no breakdown in the fluid and that the fluid is fine except for the fact that the aluminum content in the fluid is over three times the average it should have. Blackstone indicated that the high aluminum in the ATF probably is a torque converter problem.
I then sent in a sample of the fluid directly to Amsoil for technical analysis. They determined that the fluid is fine, is o.k. for continued use and they don't know why the aluminum content is high. They also noted a high aluminum content but did not state any comments about the high number.
Anyways I called Amsoil and they stated that I have no claim as far as the oil damaging the torque converter and that the oil is o.k. for continued use. I stated that the oil is not correct for my application and that's probably the reason I have the whine and high aluminum count in the fluid. Anyways they denied my claim and said they will continue to endorse Amsoil in Honda applications requiring Z-1 fluid.
I was lucky as I drained and filled my transmission with Honda Z-1 fluid and brought the vehicle to Honda. They have never seen a Honda CRV transmission whine and were really surprised when they saw my relatively low mileage. The technician was really nice and goodwilled my transmission and torque converter with another torque converter and transmission even though I am outside the warranty period. The whine is gone and the transmission shifts a little more firm.
Amsoil may make some good products but I can tell you that I will not use their ATF in my Honda CRV ever again. I now believe in Z-1 only in my CRV transmission.
I looked at many UOAs before making the switch. Quite honestly I wasn't too comfortable with the ATF just because of the high aluminum in some of the Amsoil filled cars. There were some with high aluminim in the Z1 filled cars too, who knows if it was coincidence or not....

So I found a virgin oil anaylsis of ATF and Z1 and the Z1 has much more zinc and I believe phosphorus or calcium but I can't remember it's been so long. Anyway, the ATD contains more of those two additives and that was my original reasoning choosing it.

FWIW, my TL has had a whining noise that is dependent on engine rpm, not wheel speed since I bought it with 8 miles on it. It may be the convertor but it seems like a lot of TLs do this. The ATD made it a little quieter, probably because it's thicker. Not saying if it's a good thing or not but it hasn't gotten any louder at 71,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Amsoil ATF

but were you using ATD?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

but were you using ATD?
No, that should be their universal ATF. He says that Amsoil refused his claim because they stand by their fluid being approved for Honda transmissions, which they do for their ATF but not their ATD.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

but were you using ATD?
Sorry guys, I tried to edit, but it was too late. I copied it off the Honda Forum.