3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After tinting - rear windshield fog line shines at night??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After tinting - rear windshield fog line shines at night??

So I just got 5 windows tinted at 35%.

I drove off the shop (night time) and got on the freeway. As I look at my center rear view mirror, I noticed that the headlights from cars behind me seem to disperse on the anti-fog lines of my rear windshield. Since those anti-fog lines are horizontal, it basically looks like horinzonal lines of light.

Is that normal? Is it because the glue hasnt dried yet?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Haze should clear in a few days
Old 12-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
subinf i think he is referring to how the tint now alters the light.

Basically in a non scientific explanation, the tint creates small bumps over the rear defroster and thus makes those "lines" of light you refer to. Completely normal, had it on all my cars except my truck because that didnt have any rear defrosters

hope that helps
Old 12-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
subinf i think he is referring to how the tint now alters the light.

Basically in a non scientific explanation, the tint creates small bumps over the rear defroster and thus makes those "lines" of light you refer to. Completely normal, had it on all my cars except my truck because that didnt have any rear defrosters

hope that helps
it looks like multiple horizontal lines of light. i cant think of a better way to describe it..hmm imagine a black piece of paper (the tinted defroster glass) and you draw white horizontal lines (the defroster lines) from top to down.

and i also felt that my left driver door speaker is at a lower volume than the right door, could it be that when they install the tint or felt, the mechanic somehow altered the speaker lines?

i am so worried that the tint is screwing up my beloved car, since this is my 1st car and 1st time doing a tint...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I agree with both statements above, there will always be an scattering of the lights in your rearview mirror now from the tint to some degree, but it will be more pronounced until the tint solution dries and the film gets sucked tighter to the wires.

One thing I recommend doing and the tint place should have requested is that you bring the car back to them about 24-36 hours after the tint was applied so that they can check the film and perhaps burnish down the edges. sometimes the film does not want to lay down nice and tight on the ceramic dot screen on the edge of the glass. and the TL has alot of this. also they can check the area with the defroster/antenna wires to to make sure its laying down tight.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Instructor

i am also hearing extra noise from my left door panel, not very obvious but sounds like some motor running in my door panel. my god...
Old 12-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Drifting

Wonder if they pulled the door panel off to apply moleskin if they did. But they shouldnt have had to take apart the door panel, at least they didnt on mine.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Instructor

here is an update on what i saw after i checked my car this morning, rolled all my windows down.

same issue as another member has posted a while ago, the tint shop took out the inner rubber piece instead of applying felt on it. now i can see right through in between the door panels, able to see the while rotors and everything. i can't believe the shop did that AFTER i specifically told them to apply felt.

i am going to go talk to the shop during lunch and see what they are going to do. i think they can refuse to fix it since the working paper i signed only says "35 all around" and said nothing about the felt, even though i was charged extra for installing it. the paper also said "agree to have shop do all work needed, no responsibly for loss and damage etc..", i think they can screw me over easily if they want to....i am abt to cry...
Old 12-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Drifting

That sucks man. I am sure if you are nice they will go ahead and do it. Give us an update on what they do
Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
here is an update on what i saw after i checked my car this morning, rolled all my windows down.

same issue as another member has posted a while ago, the tint shop took out the inner rubber piece instead of applying felt on it. now i can see right through in between the door panels, able to see the while rotors and everything. i can't believe the shop did that AFTER i specifically told them to apply felt.

i am going to go talk to the shop during lunch and see what they are going to do. i think they can refuse to fix it since the working paper i signed only says "35 all around" and said nothing about the felt, even though i was charged extra for installing it. the paper also said "agree to have shop do all work needed, no responsibly for loss and damage etc..", i think they can screw me over easily if they want to....i am abt to cry...
Let me get this right...........you paid them extra for applying the felt, and instead of applying the felt they cut off your interior wipe strips from your window seal? They have already screwed you.............. you do not need to stand for that at all. their fine print regarding loss or damage will not protect them from willfully damaging your vehicle and then charging you for a service that they did not perform.

That is improper business conduct that the better business bureau would like to know about. You can take this complaint as far as you would like. I would explain there options to them ..................replace your seals after applying the felt to them as promised or you will make their life miserable. Do not stand for this treatment, demand satisfaction. A flyer describing what they have done to you handed out to perspective clients is a very effective tool in your arsenal and may work faster than any other channels you may persue. once they understand that you will not let them do that they will make it correct.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pohljm
Let me get this right...........you paid them extra for applying the felt, and instead of applying the felt they cut off your interior wipe strips from your window seal? They have already screwed you.............. you do not need to stand for that at all. their fine print regarding loss or damage will not protect them from willfully damaging your vehicle and then charging you for a service that they did not perform.

That is improper business conduct that the better business bureau would like to know about. You can take this complaint as far as you would like. I would explain there options to them ..................replace your seals after applying the felt to them as promised or you will make their life miserable. Do not stand for this treatment, demand satisfaction. A flyer describing what they have done to you handed out to perspective clients is a very effective tool in your arsenal and may work faster than any other channels you may persue. once they understand that you will not let them do that they will make it correct.
Correct. I paid extra for applying the felt, and instead of doing what I asked, they took the shortcut to take out the entire piece of interior wipe strip off all 4 windows.

I dropped by the shop few hours ago but the manager was not available, so I left my number, still waiting for a call.

You suggested that I take my complaint further. Who can I bring this attention up to? The work order sheet is not clear, as it only writes down tint but mention nothing about the felt. I think I've already lost in that, since there is no evidence of what I requested (all verbal agreement). Should I really make such a threat to the tint shop, to the point to distribute flyers?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
Correct. I paid extra for applying the felt, and instead of doing what I asked, they took the shortcut to take out the entire piece of interior wipe strip off all 4 windows.

I dropped by the shop few hours ago but the manager was not available, so I left my number, still waiting for a call.

You suggested that I take my complaint further. Who can I bring this attention up to? The work order sheet is not clear, as it only writes down tint but mention nothing about the felt. I think I've already lost in that, since there is no evidence of what I requested (all verbal agreement). Should I really make such a threat to the tint shop, to the point to distribute flyers?
I would obviously give them an opportunity to make it right. I would print out the other thread here where another member went through the same thing as you did and they corrected it for him.............let the manager actually read the thread so he knows what kind of bad publicity he could be in for, and to see how another shop followed through and made the correction. Remind him that they have insurance for these matters if need be.

If there seems to be any reluctance on their part I would not hesitate to print something up describing your situation and pass them out to anyone that will take one. You cannot distribute them on their property, but just off it will work wonders. make sure you are talking with not just the manager, but the owner. good luck