Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afraid To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TL42
. Rotated the winter shoes, lubed the door hinges (not that they needed it) and hand washed the car...and yes I checked that they were using 100 % cotton wash cloths.
TL42 - Gord
Now that's love!!

I'm a 1000% sure you wife or significant other is jealous!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Can't wait to hit those glorious West Virginian roads around Beckley. I'll be that old Canuck with the ear to ear grin should you happen to see me in a few weeks time.
I did I-77 in West Virginia through the mountains in November, before it started to snow. All I can say is that with the A-Spec suspension and decent tires......yeeeeeeeeeeehah!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

People come to boards to get help with their problems. Imagine how lame this board would be if every thread was like "yea I love my TL" Almost everyone on this board loves their TL and U probably will if u get one. On the other hand lexus' are solid cars to but IMHO GO FOR THE TL!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
People come to boards to get help with their problems. Imagine how lame this board would be if every thread was like "yea I love my TL" Almost everyone on this board loves their TL and U probably will if u get one. On the other hand lexus' are solid cars to but IMHO GO FOR THE TL!!!
That was exactly what I was going to say. People usually don't post about how unproblematic their TL's are and when you do see those threads, they are fairly uncommon because most of us already know how great our cars are. I have had my TL now for about a month and it has been absolutely problem-free! I personally don't feel a need to tell everyone how problemless and wonderful my car is because I already know that and most people already know that as well. It would be ridiculously redundant to see a whole page of appraisals. I think all these threads about problems represent just a small minority really. And because when you have a problem, you would seek help, hopefully explaining why you see mostly threads of complaints and problems. My
Old 03-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do understand what you guys are saying. When I bought my TL back in Jan 2004, I was aware of the fact that there are rattle issues with this car. I bought it anyway. Now, I am dealing with all these rattles although it is kind of fun to tackle each issue (well, sometimes). This is by far the best car I've ever driven. My two Accords in the past had zero rattle.

Will I buy another TL in the future? Hmmm. Maybe...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rick-H
You should play it safe-- you sound like you would better off in a Corola.
You are correct. That is the truest post I've seen all day. A Corrola will suit him or her fine. It is a good little car and should give him no trouble.

Then he can post on the Corrola board.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by gannet
You are correct. That is the truest post I've seen all day. A Corrola will suit him or her fine. It is a good little car and should give him no trouble.

Then he can post on the Corrola board.

Haha - Corrola board....SWEET, and if he traded in his TL, why is he still hanging around this forum?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
GQS
Team Anthracite

Just had the first A1 service done.. (like I said ... not a high miler) and was blown away by the service. Rotated the winter shoes, lubed the door hinges (not that they needed it) and hand washed the car...and yes I checked that they were using 100 % cotton wash cloths. It will be going in before we leave for tire change and detailing.
TL 42 - what dealer did you have your service done at?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Instructor

If you go to just about any discussion board, you will see problems being discussed and it may give you a feeling that the cars have more problems than they actually do. I absolutely love my car and would buy it again. Just take the plunge and enjoy driving. Chances are very high you will not experience any problems. It is like with relationships. If you are looking for the perfect and flawless one, you will be perpetually disappointed. Just be realistic and look at the big picture.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Instructor

One thing you can do is look at some of the customer satisfaction data posted in Consumer Reports & Edmunds. CR recently had the TL as 3rd or 4th highest scoring cars, behind the Prius, top Lexus. I personally am very satisfied with the car.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:47 AM
My baby's daddy

Originally Posted by k6biv
Hello:

I also know that I am not getting any better looking with age but I am getting looks (good ones) from others as I am in my car. When I get out of the car that's a different story..

Tim
tint your windows and you'll do fine. Your post speaks volumes about that new TL (I have a 2 gen). After reading about one member who installed a car PC (found him on MP3car.com), I suddenly shifted my desired from a new RL to a new TL. Still a few years away but exciting nonetheless.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Gasnet, have you driven a TL? Thats what sold me.

Paul
Old 03-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrenchCreole
Peacefrog,

This was my first "Japanese" car...and had high hopes as I do have alot of Honda products. I am not a salesman for Lexus or any other manufacturer. Although I have fixed my 1004 TL by trading out of it for a 05 BMW 330i. Now that is a great car.
hmm.. tell me if im wrong but i would like to say, "bullshit"..
my girlfriend has the 330i with the performance package.. if you've actually driven in both cars you would not want the 330i over the TL. first of all the 330i has no power compared to the TL.. no navigation.. peoples legs get crushed in the back seats.. boring console.. and the options.. confusing as hell.. and with problems.. they are not small like rattles and vibration. our particular 330i came with this electrical problem that took two weeks to fix...
Old 03-17-2005, 04:26 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by KLepTo
we will miss your antics tim, youre one funny guy
KLepTo: Isn't that my car in front of yours in your avatar?

I wish I could go to the April meet. I'm installing my A-Spec suspension this weekend and can't wait to try it out (and show it off, of course!)
Old 03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Advanced

between my wife and I, we have owned 7 Honda manufactured cars, 5 Hondas (76 Civic, 79 Civic, 86 Accord, 98 Civic, 2003 Element) and 2 Acuras (98 Integra, 2004 TL).
Only one of them ever had any trouble before 90,000 miles. Obviously the 03 Element and the 04 TL are still way under that. It was a computer chip in the 98 Civic (which my son still drives) that went bad causing the windshield wipers to run constantly... Annoying but not serious..

I have also owned Fords, GMs, Jeeps, (all had problems more serious and with less miles than any of the other cars) and a Toyota and a Datsun (back before they were Nissan) Toyota and Nissan are still on my list of cars I may buy again.

But of all these cars my new TL is the smoothest, quietest (even with the occasional dash rattle) most comfortable, and by far my favorite car of all time.

Don't be afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:28 PM
ANTHRA/CAMEL/NAVI

Thanks To All For The Info.even The Funny @$%! With The Corola Joke.trading In My 02 Tls. Picking Up The 05 Tl Wendsday.anthracite/camel/navi With Underbody Kit.i Just Hope Its As Quick Off The Line As My 02.the Test Drive Did Not Impress Me But Maybe This Car Is Geared Different.rattles, Wipers, Glove Box Problems Would Not Bother Me As Long As I Dont Get Vibrations.cant Wait To Pick Up Car, Love The Camel Int.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:44 AM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Hello GasNet:

Good decision. Glad to see an another guy of 40 owning a TL. Now the "mods"...

Rusky: I will look into get the windows "tinted" Thanks..

Enjoy the new car..

Tim
Old 03-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a lot has to do with what people are looking for in a car. I do not go along with the people that say all the boards have complainers and this board is no different. I have checked been on several boardsand this board has more complainers than most. I have owned a lexus, TL and G.

I can tell you that this model while faster than most of the others will have more complainers because it is made cheaper. We can all have bad experiences with a car, but one thing all the mags cannot take into consideration is how the ratings are weighted. By this I mean what is most important for the particular owner. price, features, performance... maintenance costs... And what the owner is willing to tolerate in all of the above. If you went from a beat up accord to a TL you woudl say it is fantastic and we all in your lives have (hopefully) moved up a notch or two with better jobs etc. If you are going from an ES300 to a TL you would say sure 3-4K off and faster acceleration, but more rattles etc. Sure did type of car, but the same issues are there. Maybe the person will tolerate a few rattles for a different driving experience.

That said, after owning 3 TLs I would say that they have more problems than a lexus or an infiniti. It is also the cheapest car of the 3 I have owned. They cannot build them cheaper without cutting corners some where...
Old 03-18-2005, 03:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,288 Likes on 2,646 Posts
GasNet, congratuations on your decision. I was in the same situation last November and after alot of inquiries made my purchase this February.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as myself and the other happy owners on this forum. I've looked my TL in some detail and am really impressed with quality of the materials and design (I'm a engineering manager and appreciate great design/manuafcturing).
Old 03-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GASNET
Thanks To All For The Info.even The Funny @$%! With The Corola Joke.trading In My 02 Tls. Picking Up The 05 Tl Wendsday.anthracite/camel/navi With Underbody Kit.i Just Hope Its As Quick Off The Line As My 02.the Test Drive Did Not Impress Me But Maybe This Car Is Geared Different.rattles, Wipers, Glove Box Problems Would Not Bother Me As Long As I Dont Get Vibrations.cant Wait To Pick Up Car, Love The Camel Int.

Good to know... LOL, your thread really drives us crazzy...

Congratulations for your new TL... Enjoy.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
ANTHRA/CAMEL/NAVI

Thanks. In 2002 After Looking At All The Cars The Winner Was The Tl.in 2005 Its Still The Best Car In Its Class. Ps Was Thinking Of Going For A Car In The 46000 Dollar Range But Changed My Mind.the Winner In That Class In My Opinion Was The New Audi A6.curry Acura In Scarsdale Gave Me A Sweet Deal! Big Volume Dealer.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:12 PM
ANTHRA/CAMEL/NAVI

Picking Up The Car With The Underbody Kit. Holding Off On The Rear Spoiler. Dont Know Which One I Like Yet.(wing Or Lip) Any Suggestions? Also Holding Off On Rims I Dont Like The A-spec Rims. Love The Pick Of The G35 18" Rims On The Tl.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:12 PM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Hello:

Last Friday I got SSR Competition rims installed. The SacTown meet has some pictures of my car showing the new rims..

Enjoy the ride..

Tim