Advice Needed: Leather seats and heat...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003 | 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Question Advice Needed: Leather seats and heat...

I have a TL on order and this will be the first car I've owned with leather seats. From those of you with experience with leather upholstery - after the car's been in the sun awhile, how hot do these things get, anyway? Is there a significant benefit in this regard if you have light colored upholstery (e.g. parchment, camel) vs. ebony or quartz? What about the perforated leather? I ordered parchment thinking that this will be cooler, but I'm having second thoughts.

Any tricks you use for keeping the tush comfortable?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2003 | 04:08 PM
Banned

Re: Advice Needed: Leather seats and heat...

Originally posted by rokdok101
I have a TL on order and this will be the first car I've owned with leather seats. From those of you with experience with leather upholstery - after the car's been in the sun awhile, how hot do these things get, anyway? Is there a significant benefit in this regard if you have light colored upholstery (e.g. parchment, camel) vs. ebony or quartz? What about the perforated leather? I ordered parchment thinking that this will be cooler, but I'm having second thoughts.

Any tricks you use for keeping the tush comfortable?

Thanks!
First, let me welcome you to the forum, and congratulate you on getting a great car you will love for many years to come.

Yes, I have my windows tinted 20% (the maximum legal in my area), and use a reflective windshield sun blocker when I'm away from the car during the day.

As to the light interior, it might be a tad bit cooler, but if you allow the suns rays to beat into your car, it wont make much of a difference between dark and light. I actually prefer a light interior (depending on the exterior color, however, it is much more likely to show dirt, just like the exterior.

Another little trick you can use (you probably already know this one), is to leave your window cracked, just slightly, and it will make a big difference in the interior temperature.
Old 12-29-2003 | 11:46 PM
Racer

Congratulations!

I had black perforated leather in my last car, a Solara, and have no complaints about heat (I am in L.A.). Like my TL, I had 40% tinted windows, use a windshield sunshade in the Summer, and as Z factor suggests - I leave the sunroof tilted up and maybe the windows cracked on the hottest days. It was NEVER too hot inside. Our TSX is Anthracite and Ebony and was no problem this last Summer.

DON'T let heat control your choice of interior colors. I would have gotten black inside in an instant if Acura offered it with White. Why they don't is another mystery.
Old 12-30-2003 | 11:45 AM
Instructor

Advice Needed: Leather Seats

Hot is hot regardless of where you live. When the temperature is 100 degrees outside, the color interior really doesn't make that much of a difference. I live in Dallas, where the summers can get quite fierce. I, too, chose the Parchmont interior. Good choice. IMO grey interiors tend to look dirty when they are dirty. Tan interiors don't look as dirty when they too are dirty.