Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura v. Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
And this is the whole point in a nutshell!

We have to somewhat balance the emotion with a little common sense.
Not that long ago I was in the same boat – my only deciding factor was available HID on TL – if Accord had them, I would had gotten Accord Coupe v6 6sp instead. Since my vision isn’t the perfect one, I appreciate HID on my TL more then anything.
Surround sound? Who cares – DVD-Audio never took off and it is dying right now, Memory seats? – I am the only driver. Bluetooth – I do not even have the phone – by the time I get one, Accord will have it as well.
On the other hand – Brembo on TL 6sp are not anything special – cost and dust twice much more – I hate them actually – can’t even wash rims up front without rolling the car a bit.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tested the accord v6 and acura tl as well as a nissam maxima, altima se-r, audi a6 3.0, chrsler 300C, Pontiac G6, Volvo S60 2.5 and infiniti g35. The TL and the G35 were the only cars that gave me the "wow" factor. The looks of the tl won me over, which is why I chose it.

The accord is a good car, it's decent looking, I don't think it's ugly at all. It has good performance with the v6 and it handles well. The TL to me anyway is better looking, and better performing and just felt more refined. The accord to me just felt like just another car in comparison.

Comapring the Accord and the TL is like comparing "good" and "excellent".
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tha99
7th accord is ugly ???? ...... really. (my mom has an accord, I have to disagree (just in my opinion))

By the way, I love everything about the TL except the taillight.

I thought the 2004-5 Accord rear end was questionable, but the revised '06 Accord rear end is fugly!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 56Oval
I thought the 2004-5 Accord rear end was questionable, but the revised '06 Accord rear end is fugly!
Are you talking about the sedan or coupe? I didn't mind the 04-05 coup rear end, but hated the same year sedan rear end. I personally like the newer '06 rear end especially on the sedan vs the older sedan. Just my opinion though. Eveyone likes something different.

Hopefully we can all agree that the 04-05 TL has a great rear end!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Are you talking about the sedan or coupe? I didn't mind the 04-05 coup rear end, but hated the same year sedan rear end. I personally like the newer '06 rear end especially on the sedan vs the older sedan. Just my opinion though. Eveyone likes something different.

Hopefully we can all agree that the 04-05 TL has a great rear end!
I was talking the Accord sedan. Coupe is better. I just think the '06 looks too much like Ford styling.

And agreed, the TL rear end is one of the reaons I bought it. It's tight baby!

Sadly enough though, the TL really needs the fog lights down in the lower airdam area. :-(
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

Acura v Acord

Thanks guys for all your insight and opinions. I finally got to test drive the TL. What a wonderful car both in and out. I was very impressed. Unfortunately there was an infiniti dealer across the street; I ended up driving the G35, WOW. Needless to say my car search is over.

Once again I want to thank everyone who contributed to this tread. I will occasionally pop in to see what's going on in the acura world.

Happy motoring everyone.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by n2siast
Thanks guys for all your insight and opinions. I finally got to test drive the TL. What a wonderful car both in and out. I was very impressed. Unfortunately there was an infiniti dealer across the street; I ended up driving the G35, WOW. Needless to say my car search is over.

Once again I want to thank everyone who contributed to this tread. I will occasionally pop in to see what's going on in the acura world.

Happy motoring everyone.
After all this you get a G35? Did you get the sedan or coupe. No matter which one, make sure to get the sport package. Also check out G35driver.com.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by EZZ
After all this you get a G35? Did you get the sedan or coupe. No matter which one, make sure to get the sport package. Also check out G35driver.com.
I know, and I do apologize. Definetely the sports package sedan. I need the extra doors.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:54 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I know, and I do apologize. Definetely the sports package sedan. I need the extra doors.
Well, just remember that like the TL being a gussied up version of an Accord, the G35 is just a gussied up version of the 350z.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, just remember that like the TL being a gussied up version of an Accord, the G35 is just a gussied up version of the 350z.
You mean Maxima, right?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:40 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
You mean Maxima, right?
No. I mean 350Z. The G35 has an extended 350z chassis. Both are called the FM platform. Actually, the G35 was created before the 350z and the G35 chassis was shortened for the 350z. The TL has the exact same chassis as the Accord. The G35 and 350z are so similar that you can put all the same suspension components available on the 350z for the G35. The Maxima uses the Altima platform (both FWD).
Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
No need to apologize, you picked another good mid/up market car. I think you will enjoy it. You also started a good thread.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by EZZ
No. I mean 350Z. The G35 has an extended 350z chassis. Both are called the FM platform. Actually, the G35 was created before the 350z and the G35 chassis was shortened for the 350z. The TL has the exact same chassis as the Accord. The G35 and 350z are so similar that you can put all the same suspension components available on the 350z for the G35. The Maxima uses the Altima platform (both FWD).
Makess sense. Thanks for the clarification
Old 10-02-2005, 02:18 AM
10th Gear

I saw the new 06 accord sedan today. I have to say, now I love acura taillight.......
Old 10-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
i agree - sedan is still ugly while coupe is really nice from every angle
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Advanced

I'm curious what sold you on the G35 during your test drive? 0-60 speed? Interior design? Handling? Exterior styling?

I test drove it, the A4, 330i, and TL several times. The Germans were out because of price, and I ended up with the TL because I liked the exterior styling more, and thought the interior was a notch above the G. Loved the speed and handling of the G35 indeed! I was concerned about the G35 nearing the end of this body design cycle (I'm guessing perhaps one more year before a redeisgn?).
Old 10-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kyleatdyer
If you can get past the looks of the Accord which are less than inspiring (and I have owned one other 1997 model) then go with the Accord Hybrid. Great gas mileage, good power, good features ....
The Accord Hybrid is also assembled in Japan. The TL: Ohio. In my experience, the Japanese product is better in things like even body and interior panel gaps, paint quality, etc. (As far as I know, the hybrid is the only Accord that comes from Japan for U.S. sale.)
Old 10-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Simply put:
Acura is a deluxe Honda. Choose accordingly.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
Simply put:
Acura is a deluxe Honda. Choose accordingly.
Don't forget Infiniti is a deluxe Nissan

and

Lexus is a deluxe Toyota
Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 56Oval
I'm curious what sold you on the G35 during your test drive? 0-60 speed? Interior design? Handling? Exterior styling?

I test drove it, the A4, 330i, and TL several times. The Germans were out because of price, and I ended up with the TL because I liked the exterior styling more, and thought the interior was a notch above the G. Loved the speed and handling of the G35 indeed! I was concerned about the G35 nearing the end of this body design cycle (I'm guessing perhaps one more year before a redeisgn?).

It drove and handled like my buddy's bmw. I guess the rwd has a lot to do with it.
The fit and finish is very similar to the tl.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DLOMAC
You say that now. The key is not having to hope that is not an old car or beat-up. I've had a Honda loaner for warranty service and it was no special feeling.
I am not looking for a special feeling when getting loaner/rental. I guess we are just different in that respect. As for getting an old/beat up car, what kind of dealerships are you frequenting?? No respectable dealer that wants to keep a customer is going to offer that, at least as far as my experience goes.

C'mon man. Not everyone has the time. I, for one, have twins and while every now and then it is fun to bask in glow of a nice car and wet up the 5 years olds, it is unfortuately far from the norm. Not to mention, try washing in an NE Ohio winter. Unlimited free car washes are very low risk and great. Actually equates to $40 - $60 a month in my pocket.

I have a 2 year old son with another on the way, and while I don't wash it as often as I like, I will still avoid dealer washes at all costs. In fact, I make it a point to wash my vehicle before it goes in so I will notice any damage that might incur while getting serviced. Example: During a scheduled oil change, my hood got dinged on my CR-V. I noticed because my car was clean, and the result was they fixed it. If the vehicle was dirty, I probably would not have noticed it, left only to find the ding, and then had to come back and explain the situation. I don't think I would have gotten the same good deal.

As for your winters, I will say you have it much worse than I do down here in Florida.

For $27K or $30K, that is being too gentle. The dealer to do a bit more. I'm sure that some dealers solely specialize in a good deal knowing that you could take your car elswhere for service. But, you are paying good money and appreciation should be shown when you walk in the door as well as down the road. While my wifes car was being serviced, the Lexus dealership gave us (4) movie passes and dropped us off at the movies only to go in and buy the refreshments. Another time, my wife elected to drive off with their big SUV (which, by the way, did not lead to a fun discussion that evening I might add--17 mpg, ha). This is far and away tops but ask about the post close perks before even talking car price. While Acura has not approached that level of pampering, it can still be very satisfying and well worth the added $.
How much does Lexus charge per service/hour to work on that Toyota? Yeah, those tickets were free.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
"Joe Cool"

It drove and handled like my buddy's bmw. I guess the rwd has a lot to do with it.
The fit and finish is very similar to the tl.
This is the perfect example of ' to each's Own"

I was stuck in the same boat. I went back and forth from an Infiniti dealer and an ACURA dealer that were accross the way from each other.

But I chose the TL:

IMO the TL had a nicer Interior.
they seem to be equal in performance with the G-35 having only a slight edge cuz of the RWD. (If they make a AWD TL, its ON!)
But the back seat of the G-35 was not Cofortable at all.
though i would not be sitting there, I would want my passenger to experience the same comfort I do when riding in my car.

But the main reason is that the G-35 is very common place over here, at least in my area they are a dime a dozen.

Nevertheless you made a good choice. Good Luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 PM
6th Gear

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GADGET

How much does Lexus charge per service/hour to work on that Toyota? Yeah, those tickets were free.
Free or a kickback...it really doesn't matter because the behavior is not the norm as possibly evidenced by your response. Many dealers offer nothing AND you are paying premium prices....regardless of the mfg. But for the record, the Lexus oil change service is priced competitively and any good dealer will post the prices vs. local competitors as mine has done.

But, again all of this is besides the point. There are a lot a dealers out there and , as you know, some value the customer more than others. If the price sensitivity is not strong, then the $3K diffence for a better Acura service/warranty experience is worth it. As it has been said before, buy the car for the car not for the price since the negotiation is short- term/lived and you typically do not remember what was paid. On the other, car ownership and service experience sticks with you over the long term. I hedge my risk by always asking prospective dealers why I should buy from them....in fact, this is normally over the phone before making the trip.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Instructor

On the other, car ownership and service experience sticks with you over the long term. I hedge my risk by always asking prospective dealers why I should buy from them....
I can definitely agree with that. Service is a big part of the sale IF you plan to have the dealer complete this. If you are servicing it yourself, then the fact that they offer Starbucks and movie tickets would be of no value to you. If you need warranty work done , then this would be nice I guess, but as many have said, you are paying more so you should expect more.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Instructor

you have chosen wisely n2siast. The TL is a great car with an awesome interior but if you don't need the benefito f FWD in thw inter, then you are really doing yourself a disfavor by not getting a G35
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

My thought after experience with Heritage Honda in Rome, GA and Nalley Acura in Marietta, GA was that both Honda and Acura service sucked... but then I found Ed Voyles Acura and it's the best dealer experience ever.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did some research (on past models) and for me the difference in price was offset buy the difference in resale value.

The TL will retain a higher resale value. Does this mean you'll lose less money? No, it just means the extra cost for the nicer TL will be recouped when you trade/sell the car.

YMMV