Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura v. Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura v. Accord

I'm considering buying a second vehicle and I'm torn between the Accord and the Acura. I'm just curious why you'all chose the acura over the accord; seeing that the accord has just has much power as the accord for much less $. I must preface by saying I've not drive either cars yet. My current vehicle is a 93 Jeep wrangler. thanks for your input.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
you mean ACCORD vs. TL?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Accord is ugly, if you can get past that, buy the Accord

It is like choosing between the pretty sister and ugly sister.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
the Tl is a bit more refined, more features like hfl, xenon lights etc. basically it comes down to personal preferences, I personally like the look of the Tl better than the Accord's and also the Tl has a longer warranty period.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
300whp 237wtrq

1.) TL looks way better than the 7th gen Accord
2.) more luxury items like HFL, Surround Sound, etc...
3.) my last car was an Accord, wanted something a little more different
Old 09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Instructor

You can't honestly be thinking about the Accord over the Tl. And the Tl does have more horsepower, not much, but it does. And like the others said, the accord definately doesn't look near as nice as the Tl, especially the sedan, i guess that's just my opinion though. The Tl is a much better car, that's why they're in totally different classes, the accord is essentially the "poor man's Tl". But if you've got a budget to stick to, the Accord is definately the next best thing.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Instructor

I like both, but I have to give the TL the edge in looks, especially with the body kit. Powerwise, they are pretty close regardless of their engine differences. The 6 speed TL does get the HLSD though.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by need4spd

yeah but either way it's your sister !!!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:01 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by stealth
The Tl is a much better car

That is highly debatable and not true in my experience. If you mean better in more features, yes. Better built? Hardly. The Accord, quality wise, is every bit as good if not better.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Bring It

The Accord is considered a Mid-size sedan. The TL is a sport sedan. Depends on your preference. The Accord has come a long way in terms of looks and gadgets. The new 06 Model has a 6MT, LED taillights, and upgraded NAVI.

I chose the TL because it gives you more "prestige" and amazing bang for the buck.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
That is highly debatable and not true in my experience. If you mean better in more features, yes. Better built? Hardly. The Accord, quality wise, is every bit as good if not better.
The Accord rides like a boat. The suspension tuning is very very different between the two cars. The TL > Accord in terms of price benefit ratio due to its sporty characteristics.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:36 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

We're going to have to disagree there. The 06 Accord comes in V6 6spd sedan form. There are no official tests out yet but I'm willing to bet it will run stride-for-stride with any TL, and it will have 17" rims, etc. It'll also be thousands cheaper. The Accord is the better deal.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

We're going to have to disagree there. The 06 Accord comes in V6 6spd sedan form. There are no official tests out yet but I'm willing to bet it will run stride-for-stride with any TL, and it will have 17" rims, etc. It'll also be thousands cheaper. The Accord is the better deal.
This is what I'm thinking as well. I'm looking for value and reliability not badge panache. If I want a badge prestige I will opt for either a roundell or three pointed star.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:42 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

The accord v6 coupe with 6mt rides signficantly softer than the TL. The TL is about as firm as a G35 sedan and from my experience, the suspension is a lot firmer on the G35. If you are talking about straightline only, I will have to see the test results to believe that a car with less horsepower and torque (with smaller displacement engine) and similar weight can keep up. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by n2siast
This is what I'm thinking as well. I'm looking for value and reliability not badge panache. If I want a badge prestige I will opt for either a roundell or three pointed star.
Value and reliability? Have you considered a Civic?

Or is the point of this thread just to create an argument for argument's sake...

*shrugs*
Old 09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

A few places got 0-60 times for Accord 6MT coupes in the high 5 second range. The Accords are lighter and the slight power difference is negated by the weight difference.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Value and reliability? Have you considered a Civic?

Or is the point of this thread just to create an argument for argument's sake...

*shrugs*
If you must know sir, I considered a civic. . I'm looking for something a little larger.
I'm also looking at the Kia armanti. My only concern with the Kia is I'm unsure about their reliability.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:19 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

A few places got 0-60 times for Accord 6MT coupes in the high 5 second range. The Accords are lighter and the slight power difference is negated by the weight difference.
I've seen them too however, the sedan is a heavier car than the coupe so the TL should outrun both no matter what (5.7 to 60). I will not dispute the fact that cars that close in performance is mostly a driver's race however, in stock trim, the TL handles much much better than a 6mt coupe. From the tires to the suspension, the TL is a more aggressive car.

After saying all that, i'm sure that if you modded the accord with a more aggressive suspension, it will handle better than the TL. Plus the TL is just a beautiful car
Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
If you must know sir, I considered a civic. . I'm looking for something a little larger.
I'm also looking at the Kia armanti. My only concern with the Kia is I'm unsure about their reliability.
Fair enough. But where "value" is concerned, it really is a question of whether you deem those features that the TL has, and which the Accord hasn't, as being of value to you. If not, then definitely go with the Accord. If you do value them, then the TL would be a natural choice, since there isn't another car that comes to mind that offers all the features that the TL does at the same price point.

Happy shopping.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
I Am Lookin For A Used TL

are you a person wo cares about what people think of u?? if so, the TL is the winner.

do u like cool toys on your ride (stock)? once again the TL pwns.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Fair enough. But where "value" is concerned, it really is a question of whether you deem those features that the TL has, and which the Accord hasn't, as being of value to you. If not, then definitely go with the Accord. If you do value them, then the TL would be a natural choice, since there isn't another car that comes to mind that offers all the features that the TL does at the same price point.

Happy shopping.
Point taken sir; thanks for your input.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM
6th Gear

Though some would beg to differ...you could also look to the better Acura dealer experience as a key support factor. As a former owner of Honda products before moving "up" to Acura, I can attest that it is night and day and, alone, could make a decision much easier. My current Acura dealer is very impressive and has a seemingly sound business practice. As a bonus, you get the loaner vehicles, free car washes, full snack bar and canned drinks (incl. Starbucks coffee station) and overall friendly atmosphere...all of which made the deal much easier to swallow. Of course, for the few thousand more that you pay, it should be expected. Regardless, nice to be welcomed and everyone wants to be made to feel special at times.

That being said, ownership of the Honda badge did not result in the worst dealer experiences but nothing especially memorable either.

As a recent TL buyer, I thought I would offer my couple of cents after following these boards for a while. You guys have helped me a lot.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

TL=Pamela Anderson
Accord=Meryl Streep

Both are not ugly, both will blow you just fine, but you can take Meryl and I'll take Pamela? Does it get any clearer than that?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

So, from a Kia to a Three pointer?

RIGHT.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

if money's not an issue, the TL
if it is, then go Accord.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by hcekc
TL=Pamela Anderson
Accord=Meryl Streep

Both are not ugly, both will blow you just fine, but you can take Meryl and I'll take Pamela? Does it get any clearer than that?

And sex aside, which of those actresses has won the most awards and has the most talent?

Clear?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by DLOMAC
Though some would beg to differ...you could also look to the better Acura dealer experience as a key support factor. As a former owner of Honda products before moving "up" to Acura, I can attest that it is night and day and, alone, could make a decision much easier. My current Acura dealer is very impressive and has a seemingly sound business practice. As a bonus, you get the loaner vehicles, free car washes, full snack bar and canned drinks (incl. Starbucks coffee station) and overall friendly atmosphere...all of which made the deal much easier to swallow. Of course, for the few thousand more that you pay, it should be expected. Regardless, nice to be welcomed and everyone wants to be made to feel special at times.

That being said, ownership of the Honda badge did not result in the worst dealer experiences but nothing especially memorable either.

As a recent TL buyer, I thought I would offer my couple of cents after following these boards for a while. You guys have helped me a lot.
This differs from dealer to dealer. I've had 6 Accords and 1 TL and the Acura service has been the most horrible thing ever. Much, much worse than any of my Honda's experiences. Furthermore, my Honda's didn't visit the service department enough for myself, the dealer managers and service advisors, and Client Services to be on a first name basis. The Acura, however, did.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 2005Aspec
So, from a Kia to a Three pointer?

RIGHT.
Skepticism understandable for the narrow minded. Sam Walton one of the richest men in the world drove an old pickup truck while alive.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
I own both a '03 Accord and '05 TL. Both are excellent, well-equipped and spacious cars. My wife wants a reliable car - she drives the Accord (and does not even use most of the features.) I drive the TL because I like to play with the toys, it is better looking and sportier.
However, if you are seriously considering a KIA then forget the TL, since you are obviously just looking for transportation to get you from A to B. (Even the Accord would be over-kill.)
Old 09-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rgr
I own both a '03 Accord and '05 TL. Both are excellent, well-equipped and spacious cars. My wife wants a reliable car - she drives the Accord (and does not even use most of the features.) I drive the TL because I like to play with the toys, it is better looking and sportier.
However, if you are seriously considering a KIA then forget the TL, since you are obviously just looking for transportation to get you from A to B. (Even the Accord would be over-kill.)
Good to know sir. Are you suggesting that features are only what separates the accord from the tl?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro

if your stuck between the two, i would break it down to this: if your a car enthusiast that looks foward to stepping in to his car evry time you drive, get the TL. id say the biggest difference between the two is the driving experience. the TL is a way more fun car to drive that intimidates everyone u pull up to, and puts a smile on ur face each time u drive it. the accord is a big yawn but is an excellent car for getting to point a to b.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Talking

If you can get past the looks of the Accord which are less than inspiring (and I have owned one other 1997 model) then go with the Accord Hybrid. Great gas mileage, good power, good features at whatever level you choose. I thought long and hard about it and I finally choose the TL only because I had to look at an Accord for nine years and I wanted something different. I have a friend who owns a new Hybrid Accord. It is quick, nimble and has loads of features but looks like a cow.....Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Instructor

And sex aside, which of those actresses has won the most awards and has the most talent?

Clear?
Have you seen Stacked? Pamela's got some talent!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:18 PM
rgr
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to know sir. Are you suggesting that features are only what separates the accord from the tl?
Yes. Some features are functional, some aesthetic. (For example, the mirrors on the TL are more streamlined and aerodynamic - thereby producing less wind noise. This feature is both functional and aesthetic.) The extra features in the TL make it a more "pleasing" car in many respects. But the Accord is a very nice car in its own right. The question is, are you willing to pay for features that add a little more refinement and "fun-to-drive"?
"Bang for the buck" or value are also important for some of us and I feel that in this regard the TL and the Accord are both superior to other cars at their respective price points.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Pamela bought her talent and had them implanted. If it weren't for those and her general barbie-doll look, you'd be saying "Pamela who?"

Streep on the other hand is one of the most convincing, talented actresses of all time. She's tied with Katherine Hepburn for most Oscar nominations in Oscar history, male or female... and while it took Hepburn 50 years to earn 12 nominations, it only took Streep 22. So anyway, not that this was about actresses, but you're right about one thing: The Accord is definitely the Meryl Streep of the automotive world. It's not the greatest looking thing, but as far as sheer competence and stellar performance, it's hard if not impossible to beat.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by need4spd

May I add that it's like choosing between the "not really ugly" sister who let's you do her anyway, and the "really cute" sister that fusk ya brains out ...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by Gadgets
I like both, but I have to give the TL the edge in looks, especially with the body kit. Powerwise, they are pretty close regardless of their engine differences. The 6 speed TL does get the HLSD though.
and the Brembos up front ... kind of a push-up bra.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dude you are all over the place accord, TL, KIA, civic...I mean you are not even staying with the same segment. There is no point of asking people what they think...

IMHO, if the Accord and the TL had no difference then no one on this forum would have bought the TL...

what it boils down to is WHAT YOU WANT...WHAT CAN YOU AFFORD and WHAT CAN YOU COMPROMISE WITH...and no one except for yourself can make this decision.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 AM
10th Gear

7th accord is ugly ???? ...... really. (my mom has an accord, I have to disagree (just in my opinion))

By the way, I love everything about the TL except the taillight.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:22 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
To settle things a little more - DRIVE - all of the cars you are interested in. At least go sit in them. While things may appear to be equal on paper, in person there are substantial differences. I stay away from German cars and American cars due to very bad prior experiences.

IMHO, the Kia drives like a pig and to me looked like a cheap motel room inside. The Accord is a family sedan in looks and driving experience. It is nice and a good value for what it is. The TL on the other hand is more than either in all respects. I would perfer to have the bottom of the top of the line than the top of the bottom, if that makes sense. The TL also has a longer warranty than the Accord.

The Kia and Accord are both good cars but would boar me to tears and have me looking again in short order. I hope to have my TL for an extended period.

I personally like the Honda/Acura experience and have for a long time. My past two purchases have been Acuras instead of Hondas because to me; it has been worth it.

Good luck with your car shopping.

Quick Reply: Acura v. Accord