Sponsored by:

Acura TL Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Newbie

Hello All,

As the title of this post says, I am a newbie to this forum. I am typically a BMW kind of guy (been driving BMW's since 97). However, I am REALLY impressed with the TL. Seems like you get a lot of stuff you pay for in a bimmer, you get standard in a TL. Anyway, Im just starting to look around and was curious if you guys had any pointers for negotiating. For example, I know bimmers typically go for around $1,200 over invoice. Can I expect something similar with the TL? Still havent decided if I want to lease or buy either. Thanks in advance for any advice.....
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cl0ser2g0d
Hello All,

As the title of this post says, I am a newbie to this forum. I am typically a BMW kind of guy (been driving BMW's since 97). However, I am REALLY impressed with the TL. Seems like you get a lot of stuff you pay for in a bimmer, you get standard in a TL. Anyway, Im just starting to look around and was curious if you guys had any pointers for negotiating. For example, I know bimmers typically go for around $1,200 over invoice. Can I expect something similar with the TL? Still havent decided if I want to lease or buy either. Thanks in advance for any advice.....
Firstly, Welcome to Acurazine and to the Third Generation TL Forum.

We have a wealth of information for you that is well organized. You can start your search for this information in the sticky thread "3G GARAGE" which is at the top of the thread index.

I will help you, since you are a newbie, with this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94221

There is some excellent advice in there -especially from ME! Check the post on "The Art of the Deal".

You will then be a well informed buyer and ready to work the dealer over! (j/k)

Good luck.

Dave
Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
welcome!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Firstly, Welcome to Acurazine and to the Third Generation TL Forum.

We have a wealth of information for you that is well organized. You can start your search for this information in the sticky thread "3G GARAGE" which is at the top of the thread index.

I will help you, since you are a newbie, with this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94221

There is some excellent advice in there -especially from ME! Check the post on "The Art of the Deal".

You will then be a well informed buyer and ready to work the dealer over! (j/k)

Good luck.

Dave
Thanks for the info.... Im looking forward to hanging around this forum... Seems like there is a lot of good info here. Do you have any guesses as to how much the dealer would take for an 07 TL without navi? Ive already got a Garmin, so I dont really need to drop the extra cash for the navi. Any chance I could pick this thing up for under $30K? I know there are a lot of factors that play in to this (local market, my powers of negotiation), but is that even reasonable?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks for the info.... Im looking forward to hanging around this forum... Seems like there is a lot of good info here. Do you have any guesses as to how much the dealer would take for an 07 TL without navi? Ive already got a Garmin, so I dont really need to drop the extra cash for the navi. Any chance I could pick this thing up for under $30K? I know there are a lot of factors that play in to this (local market, my powers of negotiation), but is that even reasonable?
It's possible but you'll have to work for it. Anything under $31,000 including all dealer and document fees would be fair with the only thing added is sales tax and licensing fees to the state.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WELCOME!

Just a quick comment on the Garmin V OEM Navi...IMO there are so many reasons to get the Acura Navi and privately sell your Garmin. The display is awesome, there's no having to 'stash' your Garmin when you park, the voice commands and multiple other features by far equal or outperform the Garmin. Also the audio system screens are fantastic. My personal experience, I had a Garmin and bought a TLS with the OEM Navi. I'm really glad I went with the Acura Navi! And looking at resale numbers, you will get some of the purchase price back.

But whatever you decide, you'll surely love the new TL!

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W-E-L-C-O-M-E!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Advanced

You're going to like the TL

I am a recovering BMW guy as well (10 BMWs since 1988). The TL gives you a lot more for your money and it will give you much better service. My experience with BMWs was that they break frequently...not big stuff, but little annoying things like window regulators, crankshaft position sensors and water pumps (don't even get me started on the water pumps). Most of this was covered under warranty, but fixing them represents an unpleasant and unscheduled interruption in your routine...dropping it off, waiting for the phone call, picking it up, etc.

My experience with the TL so far (and with Acuras in general) is that they rarely break. We have had several Integras in our family that went over 100,000 without ever returning to the dealer for anything. I do my own routine maintenance religiously and nothing ever broke. I never had that experience with a European or American car.

The BMW is more fun to drive. I attribute it to the rear wheel drive and exceptional attention BMW pays to driving dynamics (almost to the exclusion of other important factors like reliability). Also I miss the BMW club (BMWCCA) which had a great magazine and was a wonderful place to unload your old BMW (through their classifieds). Once you get used to the front wheel drive, you'll find that the refrigerator reliability and brute strength of this automobile will win your heart.

The pricing on Acuras is competitive, much more so than with BMWs. The best advice is shop, shop, shop because you'll be able to get one at a good price. The manufacturer and the dealers are aggressive and they want to get cars out there. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

John
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
WELCOME!

Just a quick comment on the Garmin V OEM Navi...IMO there are so many reasons to get the Acura Navi and privately sell your Garmin. The display is awesome, there's no having to 'stash' your Garmin when you park, the voice commands and multiple other features by far equal or outperform the Garmin. Also the audio system screens are fantastic. My personal experience, I had a Garmin and bought a TLS with the OEM Navi. I'm really glad I went with the Acura Navi! And looking at resale numbers, you will get some of the purchase price back.

Good luck!
TL-S comes standard with Navi w/ Live traffic update. I use that Live traffic update everyday. I never hit traffic even during rush hour anymore. I'd pay just for that!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:07 PM
3rd Gear

Well, we went to the dealer last night and made a deposit on a 2007 TL. They didnt have the color combo I wanted (Carbon Gray Pearl\Ebony), so they are gonna find one for me. Ended up taking advantage of the current lease special. Im super excited about the new car. Cant wait to get the thing. Ill post pics when we pick it up if anyone is interested. Thanks again for all of the tips.

Chris
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Benevidos (Welcome)
Old 06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
WELCOME!

Good luck!
AGREED!....Chicagoburbs , I have the same color TL-S as yourself!...I'm orignally from Aurora,IL , down the street, now residing in Southern IN for 10 yrs!,
Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Acuras Only in

Well, we went to the dealer last night and made a deposit on a 2007 TL. They didnt have the color combo I wanted (Carbon Gray Pearl\Ebony), so they are gonna find one for me. Ended up taking advantage of the current lease special. Im super excited about the new car. Cant wait to get the thing. Ill post pics when we pick it up if anyone is interested. Thanks again for all of the tips.

Chris
It really depends on where you are. Here in Cali, you can pretty much get a TL or type-s for near invoice price if you do your homework.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

First off WELCOME to the forums! Its good to see you came over from the darkside . Anyway, you will find so much more in an Acura than in a European car. The biggest thing is that they will last 10x longer than the Euros! Hopfully we can help you in any of your questions you have.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

cl0ser

Congrats and a great color choice (the one I got).

I don't understand why in the world anyone would pay $2500 for the navi option. I got my TL for $30,600 (before the damn B>S. doc fee). I'm looking for a good navi for 1/4 of the price of the TL navi. Its such a profit maker for the dealer. Wonder what the acutual cost is. Anyway, can't decide between Garmin 360, TomTom1, or one of the Magellans. Anyone have one of the portables?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350

It seems to work well. It was the one top rated by consumer reports, so I went with that one. Seems like a good balance between features and cost. I've had it for about 2 months and haven't had a tremendous number of "navigation occasions" but it's served me well. I opted not to get the Nav and had second thoughts on it. There's no question it's better than the portable unit, but I often have occasion to take it on a business trip and use it in a rental car, something that would be impossible with the factory nav.

Your new car sounds great! Good luck with it.

John