Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Acura Freaking Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Acura Freaking Serious?

So I picked up my TL on Tuesday. I am very interested in purchasing the extended warrenty. However, after reading, I think it was in here actually -- people were paying between 1000 & 1500 for the extendeds. Well my dealer when I picked up the car finally on tuesday brought up the warrenty and I told him I was very interested. Then he quoted me a price of $1975.

I declined and told him I would be in touch about purchasing at a later date. Now what would you guys suggest I do. Can't I purchase the warrenty from any dealer. I do not believe that I have to meet face to face with a dealer to set up an extended warrenty. So, if that is the case, couldn't I get some good dealers from you guys and give them a call to go through them.

I think once I find a good price and tell my dealer about that low price, he will match it.

Any suggestions, as always, will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:32 AM
10th Gear

Credit Union or Bank extended coverage

Originally Posted by stroutman
So I picked up my TL on Tuesday. I am very interested in purchasing the extended warrenty. However, after reading, I think it was in here actually -- people were paying between 1000 & 1500 for the extendeds. Well my dealer when I picked up the car finally on tuesday brought up the warrenty and I told him I was very interested. Then he quoted me a price of $1975.

I declined and told him I would be in touch about purchasing at a later date. Now what would you guys suggest I do. Can't I purchase the warrenty from any dealer. I do not believe that I have to meet face to face with a dealer to set up an extended warrenty. So, if that is the case, couldn't I get some good dealers from you guys and give them a call to go through them.

I think once I find a good price and tell my dealer about that low price, he will match it.

Any suggestions, as always, will be greatly appreciated.
My credit union offers excellent extended coverage on the car. You can purchase it anytime, but the price will rise based upon milage. New I can get 75000 mile coverage for about $900.00
Old 09-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the local dealers originally quoted me 1500 for 5 year 100 thousand mile with 0 deductible... i bargained to $750, which i believe is 50 above their cost..... (at least for that plan with the TSX)

http://www.curryacuracare.com/

get a quote from there, print it take it to your dealer and tell them u want them to beat it or you will go to them... they will do it... you can buy the warranty from ANY acura dealer nationwide...so call around and speak to the business or financial managers at the dealers
Old 09-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Is there a good reason to buy the extended warranty when you buy the car? Why not just wait until you're almost through the original 48/50k manuf warranty, then buy the extended if you still want to.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:39 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most extended warranties offered by the dealer are based on inception date, or when the car is FIRST sold. So... that 5 year / 100K mile warranty is more than likely only adding one year (but 50K miles) to the factory warrany.

If you don't get a dealer warranty, but shop around to some of the better (higher rated) online warranty places like "Warranty Direct" or "1 Source Auto Warranty" then the date is based on the purchase date of the warranty. Thus, a 6 year / 100K mile warranty, bought JUST BEFORE your factory warranty expires would give you a full 10 year warranty on the Acura. Keep in mind that milage for both warranties is odometer milage (when the odometer reaches that point), so you still only a total of 100K miles either way.

USUALLY, you can get a better price through these online warranties, and they let you take the car anywhere for service, rather than just to an Acura dealer. Be careful though... not all extended warranties cover touchscreen navigation systems and almost NONE of them cover voice-command modules. For example, Warranty Direct covers neither, but 1Source covers the Nav, so that'd be the best bet. Check it out at. http://www.1sourcewarranty.com
Old 09-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
Is there a good reason to buy the extended warranty when you buy the car? Why not just wait until you're almost through the original 48/50k manuf warranty, then buy the extended if you still want to.
With a Honda (Acura) it is a piece of mind thing. I've never had any major repairs done on my cars out of warranty (50,000 miles). However, my dealer suggested getting the extended warranty just before my stardard warranty runs out. He said if the Navi screen goes out, it will be expensive to repair. He offered me the 7 yr 100,000 warranty for $1200.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=AcuraVic]With a Honda (Acura) it is a piece of mind thing. I've never had any major repairs done on my cars out of warranty (50,000 miles). However, my dealer suggested getting the extended warranty just before my stardard warranty runs out. He said if the Navi screen goes out, it will be expensive to repair. He offered me the 7 yr 100,000 warranty for $1200.[/QUOT

Did you go through w/ the purchase @ 1200 bucks -- i guess i could try and talk my dealer down and tell him how there are plenty of people out there that have been getting them for closer to 1000 instead of 2000
Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Racer

The original price for 7/75K mile warranty for me was $1875...ended up paying i think about $1375.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never buy an extended warranty for a new car, it is just plain silly. Only buy an extended warranty at the end of the warranty period. If you're not going to keep the car after that term (48K for Acura) you just dumped good money down the drain plus interest. Even if you plan to keep the car till the wheels come off, if you roll the the payment into your loan you'll be paying interest in something you can probably just buy cash 4 years down the road.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 PM
4th Gear

You can buy an Acura extended warranty on line at http://www.curryacuracare.com/#. Price is a little over 1200.00
Old 09-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I negotiated with the dealer, while purchasing my car, using the Curry Acura download information. Ended up paying $1175 for the 7/100/$0 warranty. The finance guy showed me the book and that was a little more than $200 above cost (1/21/04).
Old 09-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Never buy an extended warranty for a new car, it is just plain silly. Only buy an extended warranty at the end of the warranty period. If you're not going to keep the car after that term (48K for Acura) you just dumped good money down the drain plus interest. Even if you plan to keep the car till the wheels come off, if you roll the the payment into your loan you'll be paying interest in something you can probably just buy cash 4 years down the road.
I wouldn't go that far. I am almost certain the warranty I purchased through my credit union for my 99 F-150 is cancellable with a pro-rated refund as well as transferable (with a fee). This could be an advantage if you later try to do a private sale. Additionally, the rate structure changes with the actual mileage even though the vehicle is still under original warranty. The first break point was at 12K, so at that point I will make my descision on whether I go with the warranty through the credit union.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:05 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by edpat2092
You can buy an Acura extended warranty on line at http://www.curryacuracare.com/#. Price is a little over 1200.00
Both Curry and the other online Acura extended warranty company (I forget the name) do not offer the warranty in Florida. My dealer quoted me $1900 for 7/100 with zero deductible. Has anybody gotten the Acura warranty anywhere near $1200 in Florida?

Also, Warranty Direct makes a big deal out of the fact that their warranty covers wear out of parts and not just failure. For example, the engine's rings may wear out instead of failing. Does the Acura warranty cover wear out?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

When I sold my TSX I cancelled my extended warranty and lost $25 processing fee... probably because the original warranty was still in effect.

I would not suggest any aftermarket warranties... simply because there are a lot of companies that have folded...liek warranty gold...also if you need a repair it is sometimes difficult to get authorization.... i had a friend who purchased an aftermarket warranty on his VW Jetta, Honda odes. and sub. wrx.... and for two repairs on the jetta it took 2 weeks for authorization.. just my 2 cents
Old 09-03-2004, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Does the "fine print" in these extended warranties specify maintenance issues - i.e., does the dealer have to perform all maintenance? I like to do routine maintenance myself - such as oil changes and tire rotations. Much of the other maintenance boils down to expensive "inspections" - e.g., check CV boots, check bolt tightness, etc., etc.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

You have to pay for regular maint. the contract only covers for mechanical failures... and if the failure is becuase you didnt do the maintanence then teh warranty will not cover it...which is why everybody reccomends saving all your papers from oil changes, scheduled maintanence... EVERYTHING! lol

From what I have read it does not specifically say the dealer has to do the work...
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
HMFIC

Remember, having a warranty is one thing. Getting a repair covered is another. A guy at work as a Volkswagen with the 10 year, 100K powertrain warranty. They did not cover the leaking oil filter mount (not part of the powertrain), or the O2 sensors that went bad (again, not part of the powertrain). Missing a service receipt, "Your extended warranty requires you to prove a current service history" - he's heard it all. I hope Acura is better about it, but they are in business to deny any claim they can.

I avoid the extended warranty, take great care of machinery, don't abuse vehicles and hope for the best. I understand that by keeping cars for 10 years or more, I will have to put some money into them - it's usually well after 100K miles, though.

YMMV,

Don
Old 09-03-2004, 09:08 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1975.00 is a rip off that dealer is trying to screw you, never ever pay more than 1000.00 for an extended warranty the dealers cost is close to 600.00, 1375.00 mark up is ridiculous. I would call other dealers get their prices and even bullshit a price quote here and there and call your dealer and tell him you found the same warranty at a different dealership in the area for 1050.00 and tell him if he can beat it then we have a deal, if not don't do business with that dealership again, they are just going to screw you. I should know I used to be a car dealer.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Consumer advocates say:

An extended automotive warranty is *an insurance policy against catastrophic repair costs*. For most covered failures, you'd pay less over the lifetime of a car to pay for the repairs yourself. In fact, the deductible is structured so that, even with the policy, you will pay a significant portion of any repair out of your own pocket even when the failure is "covered."

The most expensive conceivable failure -- something really disastrous that might happen to your engine or transmission -- will cost somewhere between $3-5K. Such a failure is very unlikely in a premium car. Your primary concern, when considering a warranty, is whether such an unexpected expense would be considered "catastrophic" in terms of your unique budget.

It is my opinion that most people buying $30K+ cars can sustain such an expense if they have to, and that you've already taken necessary, proactive, steps to minimize your personal exposure by buying a premium brand in the first place. But if the TL was truly beyond your typical means, and you need that level of protection to be assured that you will always be able to drive it, then you might benefit from such a policy.

There are only two acceptable underwriters for such a policy: either the auto manufacturer or your auto insurance company. Do not purchase a policy issued by any company that specializes in extended warranties. Far too many such companies have set up shop and sold thousands and thousands of policies, only to later fold leaving policy-holders high and dry. It's a racket, and your safest bet is to buy your policy from someone with a legitimate interest in your vehicle.

Rep points appreciated if you find this helpful.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
Personally, I say no and have never bought one. It is like gambling - the house always wins, otherwise they would not push them so hard. I have found that if a car gets through 4 years and is well maintained like my cars (by me), they will almost always make it to 100k.

A lot of people buy these are people who cannot imagine getting a $2k bill for a major assembly, so they pay monthly (the reverse of tax deductibles from your paycheck - if we had to pay all at once, there would be rioting in the street) and perhaps for them it makes sense.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's a reputable warranty company, they're required by law to put money into a trust that will satisfy any policies sold. Thus, according to the law, you are still protected if a reputable company goes under. Of course, what happens "by law" and what happens "in reality" aren't always identical, so just be careful. If you really shop around for warranty companies, you'll find some that are rated very highly, and who have been in business forever. The two that kept coming up in the top two positions again and again when I did my research was "Warranty Direct" (http://www.warrantydirect.com) and "1 Source Auto Warranty" (http://www.1sourcewarranty.com).

I've had Warranty Direct before, and it was SUPER easy to get covered work done. You simply took it to the repair center (didn't have to be the dealer), gave them the 800 number to Warranty Direct, and your policy number. They would diagnose the problem, call Warranty Direct, and get approval. Once the work is done, Warranty Direct will pay via credit card. 1Source does pretty much the same thing.

If you have Navi, keep in mind that Warranty Direct will NOT cover touch-screen navigation systems, nor will they cover voice-command modules, so Warranty Direct is NOT a good choice for the Navi TL. (The touchscreen-navigation system is one of the most expensive units to replace, and is a fairly common failure, especially if you use it a lot, and plan to keep your car past the manufacturer warranty. ONE such replacement will probably pay for your entire warranty.) 1Source WILL cover the touchscreen-navigation system, but will NOT cover the voice-command module. The Acura warranty is probably about the only one that WILL cover that module, so if you're really worried about it, you may want to go with Acura's warranty, but honestly, that module doesn't go out very often, and you can probably save yourself a lot of money by taking the small risk, and going with 1Source instead.

Another thing to keep in mind is to compare apples with apples. NO MATTER WHEN you buy the Acura or most other dealer-offered warranties, the date is based on inception date (when the car was first sold), so no matter when you buy the warranty (even though most dealer-offered warranties aren't available past the first year), if you buy a 5-year warranty, you're probably only going to get one more year past the original 4 year warranty on the car. Most dealer warranties add very little time, just milage. With Warranty Direct or 1Source, the date is based on the PURCHASE DATE of the warranty, so if you buy the 5-year warranty JUST BEFORE the manufacturer's warranty expires (in 4 years), you get a full nine-years. In BOTH cases, the "milage" warranty ends when the odometer reaches that limit, so if you buy a 100,000 mile warranty when your car has 50,000 miles, you still only get another 50,000 miles, since the warranty will end at the 100,000 mile mark.

My point here is that I keep hearing how someone "saved money" because the dealer-offered 5-year warranty was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the other guys, but didn't keep in mind that you could purchase the warranty from the other guys just before the original warranty expired, so they're really comparing a 5-year and a 9-year warranty. Saving ONLY a couple hundred dollars on the 5-year warranty in this case means that the buyer got screwed. Don't spend a thousand or so dollars just to add a single year to your warranty... That's just plain nuts! For that same money, you can double your warranty (or even more.... both WD and 1S offer warranties that ultimately result in 10year/100k miles of coverage). Which is REALLY the better deal?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Personally, I say no and have never bought one. It is like gambling - the house always wins, otherwise they would not push them so hard.
In the long run, the house wins. This is _very_ true. However, if you are careful you can come out ahead. For instance, we bought a 1996 Dodge Caravan when they were new. That car had the same crappy trans and air conditioning that was in the early Intrepids. We bought the extended warranty for $800 and it saw us through three trans replacements after the basic warranty expired. Never did have a problem with the A/C, though.

I only get the extended warranty when I think there's an elevated risk. That's why I have one on my TL; too many problems with the previous gen, no obvious evidence that they're taken care of, and planning to keep the car at least seven years made it an easy choice for me.

Mike
Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Curry sells the AcuraCare Warranty on eBay for only 1175

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755
Old 09-03-2004, 06:05 PM
VTEC is happiness

my dealer threw in an extra year and 10,000 miles as long as I maintain the car per the MID requests. I think I have to bring it to them, it is not transferrable to other dealers. ALso, this was "automatic", I never asked for it (Ron Bouchard, Auburn, MA)
Old 09-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I paid $450 for a 5yr/100,000k warranty. Why 5yr you ask? Because I put about 30,000 k a year on a car and the miles mattered to me not the yrs. These things are very negotiable. I do have a $100 deductable however. This was at the time I bought the car at Acura not after the fact.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:01 AM
cl-:P

i paid 800 bucks and i thought i paid alot, guess it wasn't so bad
Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Ext. Warranty

Check this site:
http://www.curryacuracare.com/pricin...ndPromoEmail=1

It was the best deal I found. No haggling, no BS. Also there's an add. $100 off with promo code. So you can get the 7yr 100k warranty for as low as $1160.
Good luck
Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
after reading alot about many other tl owners ext. warrenty, i think i got ripped off. i bought my car in sept 05 with 27k. i bought the extended warrenty (7yr/100k) from paragon acura in queens NY were i bought the car. i didnt know much about the price and how much it should cost for the ext. warr. and since this was my first pricey car with low miles i wanted the warrenty regardless. dont have the exact amount but i beleive they charged me 2700.00 for the warrenty. im currently paying a monthly premium of 118.00 over the next 2 years. to this day, with deposit on the warr. i think ive paid almost 900.00 so far and still have about 2000.00 to go. ive seen others that have bought the warr for much much less and it sickens me to see how much left i still have when i should almost be done paying for it.

is it possible to cancel this contract and buy a new warr from curry acura? do i get money back? how does it work when canceling a warr contract? does it make sense at this point? a new contract would cost about 1500.00 for coverage up to 100k.

if not, i guess this was a lesson for next time to atleast bargain with the dealer, or buy outside. i did not know any better and just bought when i heard the price. stupid me i guess
Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Racer

Lightbulb Acura Care Extended Warranty Website

You can go to the Acura Care Extended Warranty website to read what is covered and get an online price quote.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Racer

The "house always wins" on car insurance, home insurance, life insurance, and other things too. Nobody is in business to lose money. You really have to have something like home insurance, however, due to the truly catastrophic nature of fires and other things. With a car, the failures are aren't nearly as expensive, and most people CAN afford to repair it without a warranty. So an extended warranty on a car is more like optional "peace of mind". In any event, spending $1000 on one isn't exactly going to change the financial future of someone, so buy it if you want. Or don't. Another possible advantage I don't remember seeing above is that a transferrable warranty can be a good selling point when you sell the car, at least to a private buyer. (Probably no advantage if you trade, because the dealer may not even mention the warranty to the new buyer, wanting to sell him new coverage).
Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

ya, my car is a 6yr 100k mile warranty. i pay about 580 a month.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
the local dealers originally quoted me 1500 for 5 year 100 thousand mile with 0 deductible... i bargained to $750, which i believe is 50 above their cost..... (at least for that plan with the TSX)

http://www.curryacuracare.com/

get a quote from there, print it take it to your dealer and tell them u want them to beat it or you will go to them... they will do it... you can buy the warranty from ANY acura dealer nationwide...so call around and speak to the business or financial managers at the dealers
So basically, I can purchase the extended warranty from a dealership in California and it will still be valid here in Massachusetts???

If so, I'll be purchasing the warranty before my A-Spec