3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura finally comes out with a better MTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
6speed NBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura finally comes out with a better MTF?!

Just found this in the Service Bulletins on the last page.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060800.PDF

anyone near their trans fluid changing period that wants to test this out?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:13 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow! I was just going to order the GM STUFF...I'll wait???

guys anyone using this???
Old 09-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Im waiting for my dealer to call me when they get it. This is our last ditch effort before we put the Gm shit in..

EDIT: good find eternal.....
Old 09-03-2006, 12:48 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It probably "is" the GM stuff.....
Old 09-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by KJSmitty

probably so
Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Awe crap! I have 3 QTS of unopened Honda MTF sitting the garage for when I get around to it. Wifey picked it up at the Honda Dealer for me about 3 weeks ago. Just haven't had the time to change it out yet. Guess I'll get off my arse and do it since I'm guessing they don't take back anything. That way I can have a fresh fill and not eat the $18 while you all test this stuff out for me.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:22 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
YUP !
Old 09-03-2006, 07:46 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess there's always the possiblity that the new "Acura Precision Crafted MTF" could be better than the "GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid - Friction Modified"!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder what they recommend for the Accord 6MT?

TL-Rocket

'04 6MT SSM/Ebony
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Thanks for posting the MTF info, I changed my 2005 6MT TL at ~14K and noticed a slight improvement in shifting but was hoping for better. In the next few weeks I'll try to get 3 quarts of the new stuff and try it out.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
YUP !
I hope you're kidding...

People have reported good results with RL MTL, Amsoil MTF, and SF MTL-P as well, so the GM stuff is not the only answer to this problem.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by clsdave
I guess there's always the possiblity that the new "Acura Precision Crafted MTF" could be better than the "GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid - Friction Modified"!
The term "Precision Crafted' is an Acura marketing iconic phrase.

I'd like to see someone do a visual or perhaps a chemical comparison of the 2 fluids when it comes out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Acura cut a deal with whomever it is that makes and packages the GM Friction Modified or any of the other MTF's to private brand it for them.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Since it was OEM fluid, there's probably a lot more testing involved than you may expect...

But to breakdown the chemical composition of the two fluids, it'd cost you thousands...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 AM
WDP Director of R & D

In the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Either way, Acura did the write thing and researched the fact that a different oil package did work better in the MT's. The fact that many owners reported having such good luck with the GM "stuff" possibly had more influence on Acura than we know..

My TL's a 5AT but am happy you MT's have a choice that hopefully alleviates a few of the MT anomalies etc..

Cheers
Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Lets just hope this shit works
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

In the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Either way, Acura did the write thing and researched the fact that a different oil package did work better in the MT's. The fact that many owners reported having such good luck with the GM "stuff" possibly had more influence on Acura than we know..

No doubt at least some folks from Acura corporate cruise this forum.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
never stops!

I can hardly wait to try this. WIll call the dealer today to ask for availability. Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, man, I am ALL over this.

I'm the one who's been paranoid about warranty issues with GMSM.

I've had 1st-2nd issues, but actually now 3rd is getting just a tad "clunky". (Now about 11K.)

I had factory fluid replaced at the dealer with OEM at 5K, but no change. Now with 3rd gear seeming to act up, it is now time.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6MTrules
Oh, man, I am ALL over this.

I'm the one who's been paranoid about warranty issues with GMSM.

I've had 1st-2nd issues, but actually now 3rd is getting just a tad "clunky". (Now about 11K.)

I had factory fluid replaced at the dealer with OEM at 5K, but no change. Now with 3rd gear seeming to act up, it is now time.
6MTrules - I'm right behind you on this one. With Fall and Winter seasons around the corner, I better get this new fluid in before it gets hard to shift in cold mornings again.

I plan to call Rosenthal Acura tomorrow and see if they have this stuff. Let me know what your experience is with the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
6speed NBP

Nice you 2 get back with some impressions asap! Thanks!
If its good i'll be changing my fluids after winter =]
Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll check tomorrow. Going to get the A-Spec Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel installed.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
I hope you're kidding...

People have reported good results with RL MTL, Amsoil MTF, and SF MTL-P as well, so the GM stuff is not the only answer to this problem.
Make sure you know what you put in your gear box. It can shift great but do damage in the not so long run. MTL will shift great but does not have the load characteristics to support the ring and pinion that is in a transaxle. MTL= manual transmission lube which is for a traditional manual transmission which the TL is not. Also, friction modifiers can be corrosive to the synchros but are needed for limited slip. That's why the mixtures for transaxles are specific.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
never stops!

I just checked with the 2 local Acura services and the parts guy said it's the same MTF with diff package name, new label.

Can somebody coraborate this? I wish it's new and better oil.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by JoganJani
I just checked with the 2 local Acura services and the parts guy said it's the same MTF with diff package name, new label.

That's funny since my local dealer in CT also said it is the same Honda MTF with a new Acura label as well. Even funnier was when he said they put the GMSM Friction Modified in cars there. He said they tried t and were so impressed that that's what they keep on hand for customers that complain about shifting. But he will not sell the GM fluid over th counter. He was the parts guy so I'd have to talk with the service manager to see what they are saying with respect to warranty, etc.

I dunno, what I think the parts guys are just figuring it is re-branded since that's common. The service news seems pretty specific in saying it is different.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Why in the world would anyone think a Parts counter guy would have a side degree in chemical engineering? If Acura says its different, than its different. If Acura claims this will help cold shifting, etc than you should be able to take it to the bank. This guy has about 60 quarts of the old stuff he has to move. Acura isn't doing this to sell more MTF, they are doing this to keep from dealing with problems and claims on their cars in the winter... The manual tells you to use Honda MTF and if Honda's MTF has problems, than Acura is going to have alot of phone calls to deal with. For each person who changed to GM stuff, there are two people who don't want the hassle of draining and refilling if they need the Service department to check out the car. If you are skeptical of Acura than I would call Acura directly and not worry about Billy Bob's opinion on the chemical content of Honda's MTF.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Can anyone get access to the Acura Service News(letter)?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
6speed NBP

Its sticky-ed on the top of the forum >.>
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

I'm sorry. . . I meant being able to access future issues on a monthly basis. Is the Acura Service News available to the general public?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Awe crap! I have 3 QTS of unopened Honda MTF sitting the garage for when I get around to it. Wifey picked it up at the Honda Dealer for me about 3 weeks ago. Just haven't had the time to change it out yet. Guess I'll get off my arse and do it since I'm guessing they don't take back anything. That way I can have a fresh fill and not eat the $18 while you all test this stuff out for me.
Actually, you probably can take it back.. especially if you want to exchange for the new stuff...
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 PM
6speed NBP

Originally Posted by ONEOF137
I'm sorry. . . I meant being able to access future issues on a monthly basis. Is the Acura Service News available to the general public?
well MichaelBenz updates that thread every month so you can just check back every month.

or ask him how he gets it
Old 09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JERU
Why in the world would anyone think a Parts counter guy would have a side degree in chemical engineering? If Acura says its different, than its different. If Acura claims this will help cold shifting, etc than you should be able to take it to the bank. This guy has about 60 quarts of the old stuff he has to move. Acura isn't doing this to sell more MTF, they are doing this to keep from dealing with problems and claims on their cars in the winter... The manual tells you to use Honda MTF and if Honda's MTF has problems, than Acura is going to have alot of phone calls to deal with. For each person who changed to GM stuff, there are two people who don't want the hassle of draining and refilling if they need the Service department to check out the car. If you are skeptical of Acura than I would call Acura directly and not worry about Billy Bob's opinion on the chemical content of Honda's MTF.
Well said.

The number of people that don't even know how to change the fluid but think they are smarter than Acura/Honda on chemical composition of the fluid is funny.

Lubrication in a transaxle is tricky. You can fix one thing like shifting and damage something else.

Running lube through the Acura distribution channel is not a good deal for them and they don't have the incentive to screw people or withold a better product.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by EternaLlx
well MichaelBenz updates that thread every month so you can just check back every month.

or ask him how he gets it
Actually, I update the thread every month and I usually do it as soon as they come out, so you can just check the thread each month for the updates. If I don't do it by the 10th, send me a PM and remind me.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

That's funny since my local dealer in CT also said it is the same Honda MTF with a new Acura label as well. Even funnier was when he said they put the GMSM Friction Modified in cars there. He said they tried t and were so impressed that that's what they keep on hand for customers that complain about shifting. But he will not sell the GM fluid over th counter. He was the parts guy so I'd have to talk with the service manager to see what they are saying with respect to warranty, etc.

I dunno, what I think the parts guys are just figuring it is re-branded since that's common. The service news seems pretty specific in saying it is different.
Adobeman- What CT dealer do you use? Mine changed the fluid with the Acura stuff last month and I saw zero improvement..... Still under warranty so maybe we can try again.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
6speed NBP

Originally Posted by Ron A
Actually, I update the thread every month and I usually do it as soon as they come out, so you can just check the thread each month for the updates. If I don't do it by the 10th, send me a PM and remind me.
Oh haha sorry Ron A i just assumed since its in mike's post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

I have an appointment to have the new Acura fluid put in my '05 TL next Wednesday as another attempt to fix the 3rd gear problem. Although Acura is not covering it under warranty (don't understand it) the dealer is going to do it no charge "as an experiment to see if the new fluid changes the shift characteristics." I will post more once it is in an I have had a chance to try it out.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:33 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by JERU
Agreed JERU, however, this is the same Billy Bob who's going to hand over old stock to service tech when comes to changing. My question is how to make sure that they change the fluid with the "New Label with White Cap" bootle and not the old stock MTF thinking it's the same product diff label. Unless I buy and get it changed elsewhere.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Scott_6Spd
Adobeman- What CT dealer do you use? Mine changed the fluid with the Acura stuff last month and I saw zero improvement..... Still under warranty so maybe we can try again.
I was talking to Schaller because it is close to where I work. I pick up parts/supplies there becasue it is convenient. Avon is where I bought the car and they don't have many MT customers and are not aware of the issues with 3rd gear that we all are.

Did your dealer use he new stuff for sure or was it just Honda MTF? I saw differences when I changed my MTF with the Honda stuff but it too about 100 miles to notice.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Agreed JERU, however, this is the same Billy Bob who's going to hand over old stock to service tech when comes to changing. My question is how to make sure that they change the fluid with the "New Label with White Cap" bootle and not the old stock MTF thinking it's the same product diff label. Unless I buy and get it changed elsewhere.
That my friend is a tough one, I guess you would ask them to show you the empty bottles, but I don't have enough patience to work that one out so I am going to do it myself....
Old 09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by mbarb17
I have an appointment to have the new Acura fluid put in my '05 TL next Wednesday as another attempt to fix the 3rd gear problem. Although Acura is not covering it under warranty (don't understand it) the dealer is going to do it no charge "as an experiment to see if the new fluid changes the shift characteristics." I will post more once it is in an I have had a chance to try it out.

Im right behind you...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:24 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Cool!
They exchanged it for the new Honda Stuff. To no surprise the Honda labeled MTF is going through the same changes. The only difference is that there is no "A" at the end of P/N 08798-9031. I'm assuming this is the same stuff as the new Acura labeled bottles. White cap too.

Here is the bottle front (Click it for larger)

Here is the back. Words look familiar ?

I'll be changing it out soon and see if it is any different.

Quick Reply: Acura finally comes out with a better MTF?!