Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Dealers on Oklahoma

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Dealers on Oklahoma

I have been frequently viewing this site for over 6 months in preparation to purchase our first Acura. It will be a 2007 TL NON type-S.

There is only one Acura Dealership in Oklahoma City where I live. (Bob Moore Acura)
Since there is no other Acura competition. These guys may have me over a barrel.

Can anyone tell me there experience with this dealership.

1) Willingness to deal
2) Service Department Knowledge and ability.
3) Suggestions on the best person to talk to at the dealership.

There is one dealership in Tulsa...(Don Carlton)..100 Miles away. Not much competition there either. I would think a good deal on a 2007 TL would be hard to get in this state.
I am very good at getting the best deal when I can put dealer against dealer, but This may be hard.

I travel through Dallas/Ft Worth frequently which is only about 3 hours away. Can a very good deal be had down there. Which ones should I try first.

I need to get a new car within 2 to 5 months. As soon as the NEW MODEL hype is over to get the best deal.

I appreciate any responses.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone purchased a car, or used the service department, from either acura dealer in Oklahoma?

Is there anyone in Oklahoma that has a recent TL? Or any other Acura for that matter. Where did you purchase is if not in Oklahoma.

I am not as much looking for priceing details as much as the service and attitude of the dealers here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Hey Kart, If you come down to Dallas I can lead you to a dealer in Plano. I know some people there I could point you to. Just shoot me a PM if you want..
Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

This is depressing. I am trying to find someone that has experience with Bob Moore Acura in Oklahoma City. Either the sales department, or the service department.

Weather I get a good deal in Oklahoma City or I need to go to Dallas or Kansas City for a better deal.........I will need a dealership to service the car during the warranty.

Bob Moore Acura in Oklahoma City is the only dealer within 90 Miles. I would not be able to take it to an "Out of the area dealer" due to distance. I also dont want to be tied to a service department if it is not worth a damn.

I have been drooling over an Acura TL for over a year (waiting for a 2007), but if I cant get a good report on this dealer, I will need to try a manufacturer that will give me options.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced

I actually just moved to Edmond, and just got an oil change service from Bob Moore a couple of months ago. Not too bad, the service was pretty quick.

It didn't feel like a real Acura dealership because it was in an automall type of setting. A couple of things I was disappointed by (compared to Gunn Acura in San Antonio, TX. where I bought the car):

-no car wash
-they don't carry full synthetic oil (i had to go to Walmart and buy my own)

I should be there again in a week for my next oil change. They actually tell you to not go by the MID. They just tell you to get your oil change every 3000 miles regardless.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexkcha
I actually just moved to Edmond, and just got an oil change service from Bob Moore a couple of months ago. Not too bad, the service was pretty quick.

It didn't feel like a real Acura dealership because it was in an automall type of setting. A couple of things I was disappointed by (compared to Gunn Acura in San Antonio, TX. where I bought the car):

-no car wash
-they don't carry full synthetic oil (i had to go to Walmart and buy my own)

I should be there again in a week for my next oil change. They actually tell you to not go by the MID. They just tell you to get your oil change every 3000 miles regardless.
Thats not to encouraging.
Sounds like they just want to get you in there more often. 3000 miles seems to be a very short interval with these newer cars. Thats why the MID exists.

I have an 04 Dodge with a cummins, and I have my oil analyzed at every oil change. I run over 9000 miles on dino between oil changes while pulling a 16,000 lb trailer at least half the time. No signs of wear or degregation of the oil or additives. I was recommended to go longer, but if some "NON-OIL related problem occurs, I wont to catch it before any major repair is needed. (fuel in the oil, Coolant, whatever)

3000 mile intervals are just for the oil change shope and dealers to get in your pocket.....

It also sounds like there service department in not a first rate one if they dont even carry synthetic oil. What are they going to charge you for the labor if you bring you oil from Wally World.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
7th Gear

I bought my 2004 TL at Bob Howard Acura (Not Bob Moore). I live in Tulsa, but happend to be in Oklahoma City on business. I dealt with Forrest who is a Sales Manager and he set me up with Jim Hall, a salesman. Both of them were very friendly, and extremely low pressure. I ended up paying $3k less for my TL with Navi than Don Carlton in Tulsa was asking for the exact same car (Mileage and all) without navi.

I recently took my TL into DonCarlton for service and they were very helpful, and friendly.

Hope that helps some!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM
10th Gear

Long-Winded Input

I've had experiences with the Carlton dealership, and have had positive experiences. In rough chronological order...

I purchased a used 1993 Acura Legend from Carlton Acura around 1996. They took a reasonable offer. I had some of the service work done by the dealership and overall was satisfied with their work.

I purchased a used 1991 NSX from Cooper (a non-Acura dealership here in Tulsa). I have had some service work done by the Carlton service department and have been very happy with their work. They have an NSX-certified tech on staff (and I think they had another NSX tech move in from an Arkansas dealership). Their main NSX tech (Darren) is very good. I've stayed in the back and watched him work. He is very very thorough and very good. I've taken other cars in and requested Darren do the work and they typically honor that request. I have several other NSX friends here in Tulsa who are very particular and they take their major work to Carlton Acura and have Darren work on it.

I purchased a used 2004 TL w/NAVI about 6 months ago from Carlton Acura. Was looking to replace a daily driver Mercedes that had 160k+ miles on it. Came across the TL in a Consumer Reports/Edmonds research effort (amazingly it hadn't caught my eye before). Fell in love with it at first drive. What a car! The sales department took what I considered a reasonable deal.

Overall, I would say that the Carlton will work hard to sell you a car (most will), so kudos to the sales department, although I don't think they will always beat "big city" pricing.

I have been happy with the service department at Carlton Acura. However, for the usual maintenance stuff (oil changes) I use a good independent Jiffy Lube type business. I've built up a repoire with them here in Tulsa and used to work at one myself so I know to look for the usual mess ups. The guys I use do top notch work and are run VERY well by a middle-aged couple that doesn't take any flack from their techs. That being said, I still keep a close eye on them when they work on the cars, but I would keep close tabs on dealership work as well.

For major work (i.e. I'm shopping around for an NSX clutch right now) I consider 4-Star Automotive a viable alternative to the Carlton dealership here in Tulsa. I believe they have an NSX-certified tech on staff as well but would have to firm that up prior to letting them do the work. Several years back I bought a 1996 TL for my mother. They did quite a few things to the 1996 TL to bring it up to speed before she took the keys to it. She has found a good independent import shop (in OKC I think) that she uses (she lives in Edmond). I believe the shop was recommended by 4-Star automotive here in Tulsa and I can get more details if you need it. I could talk to her to clarify, but I think she has visited Bob Moore Acura and wasn't pleased overall.

Sorry for the long-winded post...as some of this is ancient history. Hopefully bits and pieces will be useful to you.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
10th Gear

A Bit More Info...

We've dealt with Bob Howard (not Bob Moore) as well.

My mother took a 1989? Grand Prix to Howard for warranty work. They didn't handle the matter well so I drove from Tulsa to Edmond and discussed with their Service manager and General Store manager. Couldn't get them to resolve the issue properly. That was years ago so hopefully their management and/or philosophy have changed...

We bought a new 1999 Toyota Sienna from Bob Howard. It was equipped exactly as we wanted. We got a reasonable price so kudos to the sales department.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the recent posts. I knew it was Bob Howard, but I was just in front of Bob Moore the day I posted and I guess it stuck in my brain.

Anyway, it's good to finally get some responses from acura customers from this area. Both OKC, and Tulsa.

I would like to buy local because I know the service dept caters more to cutomers that purchased at there dealership. I hope I can get close to the prices I was told I should be able to get in DFW and KS area.

THanks again.......