Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura CSX???

Check this out: http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Homepage.htm

or this: http://www.acura.ca/Acura/CSX_Micro/EN/index.html

Old 11-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It's probably just me, but I can't help thinking that Acura should stop building luxury versions of small Hondas, and concentrate on cars at least as big as the TL as its bread and butter.

Folks who are looking for a small car tend to be looking for utility, and are usually on a comparatively small budget. Somehow, I can't see people wanting to pay more for a small car with a little more luxury.

Oh well, what do I know...
Old 11-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a glorified civic
Old 11-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Instructor

It's actually the car that will be replacing the Acura EL. The CSX is fairly nice for being just a Civic. It's like the ES330 is to the Camry. The CSX is based on the JDM Civic. Its nice for what it is. I think built in Japan, F1 Paddle shifters, heated seats, Navi, leather, moonroof... It's a nice car for the people that can't afford a higher-end model but still want a luxury brand. The Acura EL currently sells like crazy in Canada. I'm sure its replacement (the CSX) will sell even more since it's so much better. Either way, it's like driving a BMW 318 or a Mercedes C230 hatchback, it's not the car from Acura you would expect someone to brag driving about.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Cold Racketeer

How will it differ from the RSX?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tzakiel
How will it differ from the RSX?
Well, I guess the CSX is a four-door, for starters, whereas the RSX is a coupe. It's clearly targeted at young families where the head of the household is looking for a car that's a little bit different (better) than your run-of-the-mill Civic, but which still embodies all the reliability and economy that the small Honda stands for, with a good measure of upmarket ambience and technology thrown in. My only concern is will there be enough buyers willing to pay the extra premium for those bells and whistles that would not traditionally be deal-makers in that segment of the market.

I don't have any figures to back it up, but just from observation, the EL didn't seem to sell very well. In fact, I honestly can't see how the EL was in any way significantly better than a loaded (previous generation) Civic.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:03 AM
Cold Racketeer

Interesting. I do not think it will sell.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cars like the EL/CSX are the reason that Honda insisted on making the change in the naming policy for its Acura division. Many people here will remember the great car names of Acura's early years: Legend, Integra, etc. By moving away from that, and using non-descript names like the RL, TL, et al, they're able to trade off the now recognized upmarket image of "Acura" to help it shift more low-end product like the EL/CSX. It's not a bad idea, if you're only interested in volume, and maximizing the number of cars that can be built (and subsequently sold) on a limited number of platforms. But at the end of the day, you have to weigh the cost of these lower-end products on the overall image of the brand and what limitations they're imposing on your ability to move further up market.

Perhaps Honda/Acura feels that there are already enough players in the upper echelon of the automotive world and is very happy in its middle-to-high-end segment.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:37 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I always think Acura should just get rid of the EL or CSX lineup. It makes Acura look cheap and not a luxury brand like Lexus/BMW/Infiniti/Mercedez/Audi.

For crying out loud it is only a prepped up HONDA CIVIC only!!! That is all!!! I don't like it and the Acura branding would look so much better without the CSX or EL.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtecracer
It's actually the car that will be replacing the Acura EL. The CSX is fairly nice for being just a Civic. It's like the ES330 is to the Camry. The CSX is based on the JDM Civic. Its nice for what it is. I think built in Japan, F1 Paddle shifters, heated seats, Navi, leather, moonroof... It's a nice car for the people that can't afford a higher-end model but still want a luxury brand. The Acura EL currently sells like crazy in Canada. I'm sure its replacement (the CSX) will sell even more since it's so much better. Either way, it's like driving a BMW 318 or a Mercedes C230 hatchback, it's not the car from Acura you would expect someone to brag driving about.

i always thought that the RSX, TSX was the luxury version of a civic. i also think that acura made a big mistake by including the integra to their line up, making it seem like less of a luxury brand by having a < $20k introductory car. Having an Acura Prelude instead, would've brought acura to a higher level to people's eyes, like infiniti.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:31 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

You'd be amazed at how many ELs are on the road in Canada. I'm pretty sure the car will be built in Alliston Ontario where they build lots of Civics and Accords.

I think this model will fit into the line very well where the old 4dr Integra was since there is no 4dr RSX and the TSX is too expensive, the EL was a stop gap because it was not very sexy. This brings the EL closer into the Acura "performance" family with the 5AT/paddle shift,HIDs and NAV that you can't get on the new Civic in Canada. Do you guys have a leather + NAV Civic in the US ?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by triggle
You'd be amazed at how many ELs are on the road in Canada. I'm pretty sure the car will be built in Alliston Ontario where they build lots of Civics and Accords.

I think this model will fit into the line very well where the old 4dr Integra was since there is no 4dr RSX and the TSX is too expensive, the EL was a stop gap because it was not very sexy. This brings the EL closer into the Acura "performance" family with the 5AT/paddle shift,HIDs and NAV that you can't get on the new Civic in Canada. Do you guys have a leather + NAV Civic in the US ?
Its not surprising that they are on the road. I don't think anyone is doubting they are good/quality cars. The point is that, Acura should not be trying to pursue that market. Honda can. Acura should focus on thier luxury lineups as someone mentioned. Once again, they are trying to set themselves apart from the competition while also grabbing more market share, but when it comes down to comparing their flagships, they are going to lose that battle if they continue with the likes of rsx, csx, etc. IMO you can't have it all, let honda put a nav in a civic, and Acura put ventilated seats in the TL!!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Am I missing something? At that price-point, why wouldn't someone just buy a TSX? (read the Website.. not this whole thread)
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Am I missing something? At that price-point, why wouldn't someone just buy a TSX? (read the Website.. not this whole thread)
That's in Canadian dollars.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I just dont see how the EL/CSX is any different then the TSX...its like offering 2 cars in the same class...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by mn2trance
That's in Canadian dollars.
Ahhh.. ok. That makes more sense! I'll read the whole thread next time...

So with the conversion rate, it should come to about fifty-eight US dollars? JK .. I know the dollar is in the crapper right now (went to Ontario this summer and was very disappointed in the lack of buying power my US dollars had compared to the early-mid 90's)
Old 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bulacura
i always thought that the RSX, TSX was the luxury version of a civic. i also think that acura made a big mistake by including the integra to their line up, making it seem like less of a luxury brand by having a < $20k introductory car. Having an Acura Prelude instead, would've brought acura to a higher level to people's eyes, like infiniti.
Actually, the RSX and the TSX are more or less re-badged versions of the Japanese market Honda Integra and Accord, respectively.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Instructor

i think this one will replace the rsx. and its def a civic with more lights and stuff
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

every german autos are going small now. Mercedez B-Class, Audi A3, bmw 1 series and so on. I think it is needed.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the CSX!

I test drove one last week and let me just tell you - I was sold ... the thing corners like it is on rails! I opted for the Type S version...which included a body kit and an increase of about 1850 hp!!!

The 0-60 time leaves alot to be desired, but let me just tell you, once you get that thing going - it hauls a$$! I think my first mod will be larger brakes all around...I am having trouble getting the thing to stop as well as I would like. The horn is different than the civic...MUCH LOUDER!!! It even comes with a towing package!!! Gas mileage REALLY sucks though!

Here's a pretty decent pic from the day I got her....enjoy

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...35000330XMsgVP

LOL - will Ron Jon be making a kit for the CSX anytime soon?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Actuary
every german autos are going small now. Mercedez B-Class, Audi A3, bmw 1 series and so on. I think it is needed.
True, but those Baby Benzes and Baby Bimmers aren't gussied up versions of an even more pedestrian model from a parent company. Anyway, it's probably not a big deal. Every company has its own objectives, and Honda probably knows what they're doing.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Can you say UGLY?!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Advanced

155 hp. ha! waste of time. Can't have luxury under 220 hp, no matter how you wrap it.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Instructor

The Acura EL sells like hotcakes in Canada. I know this because I've seen the numbers. The CSX is gonna sell just as good if not better.

The CSX is based on the JDM Honda Civic. The TSX is based on the European Honda Accord where as the RSX is based on the JDM Honda Integra.

Acura doesn't sell and won't sell this car in the states for the reason that it wouldn't sell. It would bring down the Acura marque. Additionally, Acura has already announced that they will be dropping the RSX. So after 2007, Acura's enrty level car will be the TSX which starts at $28,000. I'm sure the second generation TSX will be out shortly after 2007 and it will probably start from close to $30,000. So in other words, Acura is moving more upscale. With a more expensive entry-level car, it will make the brand more desirable and "prestigous" because it will be less available to more people. With the RSX, people could pay $24k and claim they drive an Acura. Without the RSX, anybody who will be driving a new Acura would be owning a car that costs atleast $30,000. Make sense? In Canada I guess there not as stuck up as us in America so they are okay with driving an Acura CSX.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Instructor

thats not gonna be here in the US right?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:57 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

so that means TL will be 35000+? well it better be damn good and problem free next time. CSX has it's own market - a younger crowd. It's one of reason BMW sells 320 and 1 series soon.

Mercedez's b-series - note they especially put advertisements in younger crowd area such as nightclub washrooms and so on. www.theanswerisb.ca

Now Audi is jumping into bandwagon with A3 starting about or lower than TSX
Old 11-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
This thread belongs in Car Talk: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/

We cannot move threads across major forums so feel free to post there. Thanks.