Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by acuraddict
Why would you want the parking brake on the driver's side?
Because it's something used by the driver, not the passenger. Every car I've ever owned had it on the driver's side. All my Accords and my Acura Legend had it that way. I just find it annoying. It's almost like they felt the cupholders were more important to the driver so they put them closer.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Racer

Acura Canada has advised me that the Bridgestone tires will be re-engineered and will still be standard equipment.

Markit, can you describe the highway speed oscillation? Is it like a high frequency low amplitude vibration - as if you were going over very gradual bumps in the road quickly?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

They replaced my first set of Potenza's and wheels and that helped 50%. The sensation is hard to describe, but it is an oscillation you can feel in the wheel at around 60 mph and then again at 80+. I would guess it is cycling at 7-10 times per second. You can definately feel it.

My car is a 6MT with HPT
Old 01-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"freedom fries, freedom toast, ect....."

You can call your aunt an uncle, but she still would have a ....
Old 01-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

"Just make sure to tell anyone you know who's interested in the TL. If enough people go to the dealer, drive the car, and then say, "I'd buy the car if you get rid of these tires", then Acura will have to listen. Maybe this'll teach Acura to stick with what works. They used Michelins in the past. Who was the idiot who decided to change it? Probably the same idiot who thought it would be cool to put the parking break on the wrong side."

Accord Coupe V6 automatic has Bridgestone tires but the 6 manual has Michelins. The dealer does not know why and not willing to swap and I am not willing to purchase...so go figure!
Old 01-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Racer

I keep forgetting to tell you guy's this.

While speaking to Corp services I pressed them if they knew what the problem was he told me they think it might be the bushings. Later that day I spoke to the Service Manager and he started talking about the bushings as well. The funny thing was I never told my SM that was what Corp had said.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by HondaOnly
Because it's something used by the driver, not the passenger. Every car I've ever owned had it on the driver's side. All my Accords and my Acura Legend had it that way. I just find it annoying. It's almost like they felt the cupholders were more important to the driver so they put them closer.
I see what you're saying. I had it on the driver's side on my two legends as well (obviously), but I'm kind of tall, so I like that my right leg doesn't bump up against it in the TL. Oh well.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Advanced

what bushings? susp, engine mount, please elaborate if known.

V/R,
Nick
Old 01-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by nxtr
what bushings? susp, engine mount, please elaborate if known.

V/R,
Nick
I don't know.... Sorry
Old 01-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Instructor

bushings would be in suspension

I had a 76 volvo that had vibration through steering wheel. Volvo's fix stiffer bushing in front supsension. It did not work. maybe acura is going to softer ones,
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Racer

Well, my tires will be replaced next week with snows. I hope the vibration does not persist. Markit, I think I have sensed what you are describing. We'll soon find out if its tires or something else. I have the 5AT.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Smile

6Speed- can you please let me know who your dealer was and the name of the person and number at that dealer that you worked with. The service director at my dealership has agreed to help me with my EL42 problem (which is bad) but I need to put him in contact with a dealer that has replaced the tires. He is awaiting my reply for this information so we can get a case made for me. This information will help with getting my tires replaced. You may send me a private with the contact info. Thanks for your help!

P.S. If anyone elese can help it would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Racer

neversat,

You will be able to get your tires replaced. The best thing to do is call Acura Customer Service. I have now had mine replaced with the new trial snows that Acura is testing. The vibration problem is gone. Bridgestone is working on a new tire this quarter. It is a known problem. Acura has provided me with great service. The tires exhibit flat-spotting and a lot of pressure on the sidewall which causes oscillation. See this thread.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=69493
Old 01-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Racer

Originally posted by neversat
6Speed- can you please let me know who your dealer was and the name of the person and number at that dealer that you worked with. The service director at my dealership has agreed to help me with my EL42 problem (which is bad) but I need to put him in contact with a dealer that has replaced the tires. He is awaiting my reply for this information so we can get a case made for me. This information will help with getting my tires replaced. You may send me a private with the contact info. Thanks for your help!

P.S. If anyone elese can help it would be appreciated.
Contact Steve Guisinger @ Beaudry Acura. 520-748-2000. He is the service manager
Old 01-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Advanced

I have called the customer service number at least 10 times and they keep telling me that "Acura is aware of the problem but is working on a solution" this is what my case manager is telling me. He also tells me they will not replace the tires and the smae thing the factory rep and the service director at the dealer say. Do you have a name at the customer service number? Thanks. I have one of the first 6MT's made and have been working on this issue since Oct!

Thanks.

Originally posted by Peters
neversat,

You will be able to get your tires replaced. The best thing to do is call Acura Customer Service. I have now had mine replaced with the new trial snows that Acura is testing. The vibration problem is gone. Bridgestone is working on a new tire this quarter. It is a known problem. Acura has provided me with great service. The tires exhibit flat-spotting and a lot of pressure on the sidewall which causes oscillation. See this thread.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=69493
Old 01-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Instructor

I saw a post above or in another post about another auto w/crap tires that ened up rebating approx $500 on tire swaps after facing a class action suit. Those last three words should get Acura's attention, but I've yet to see an organized effort or talk of such here. Saw rumor somewhere in this site about Acura perhaps offering something similar for the 04 TL w/EL 42s, I suppose in a PR or liability move and/or in an effort to prevent a class action. Bottom line is that a class action suit makes a killing for the lawyers involved but otherwise ends up at about the same result. I'm not advocating anything here, just would like to read who is hearing what about what Acura intends to do w/out more formal, organized prompting.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Peyton manning was incedible! I hope you guys beat new england. that was a great game to watch even though we got our butt's kicked.

NO Way Patriots will find a way to win.. 14 in a ROW !!
GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. I will be at the game 30 yard line 30 rows from the filed Yeah
Old 01-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally posted by zexi
Peyton manning was incedible! I hope you guys beat new england. that was a great game to watch even though we got our butt's kicked.

NO Way Patriots will find a way to win.. 14 in a ROW !!
GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. I will be at the game 30 yard line 30 rows from the filed Yeah
Tires arrived on Friday. The will be installed on Monday.

I can't wait
Old 01-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Acura...do the right thing. TAH
Old 01-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Instructor

For all of us...don't wait until some greedy son of a ***** gets hold of this and sticks you for all plus 40 percent.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Instructor

I guess this means I won't be getting a Christmas card next year. Really, I just droped over $75K on two new Acura's in the past month, I shouldn't have to start that sad old dance. But I guess thats what we're all left with. You should aspire to better than handling these one at a time. You'll kill someone soon, likely hydroplaning. Maybe it will be some young aspiring corporate or finance guy with all prospects of making $50M plus in a lifetime. Even at present day, that is ugly. You'll blame the manufacturer...but who sits on all the cash. Fix it. Trick is you'd settle easier if you just came out with a blanket fix in the 75/25 ratio...you eat 75, we eat 25. You could milk the PR, blame the manufacturer and quietly kiss and make up. Courts get involved and you'll end up eating 140 percent. I'm sure the latter makes sense to some bean counter in corporate or legal, but it's a hard sell out here.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Instructor

My official contacts will begin next week, work, family and other considerations willing. But I shouldn't have to contact YOU. I've bought 20 new cars in the past 12 years. I'll likely buy 20 more in the next 12. How Acura handles this will determine if Acura ever sells me another. This site is filled with many guys like me...we don't mind pissing our cash a way on new cars, but don't do right by guys like us, your next offering dies on the vine. It's really not about the money, it's about integrity. Good to great demands better than a head in the sand, weather the storm approach. Acura should be way out front on this and in direct contact NOW with all who are riding on EL 42s. The bean counters and lawyers will give a thousand reasons why not. They'll move on but the stench will linger and it's root cause will begin to rot. Then things will get worse. Sell out after sell out and you might as well be peddling snake oil. You wont stand for anything anymore. Guys like me need a reason not to keep flittering between manufactures trying to find one we really give a **** about. Fix these tires with a cold contact to all, unpropted, and I expect you'd sell more cars to your hard core. Piss these guys off now, with this car launch...and you shoot the market you need for the next twenty years. I can't believe you are sitting on this, makes me crazy and want to come work for you for a day only to tell you to pull your heads out.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Hope I'm OK to post in other places where I mind my manners. Great forum BTW.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Racer

Well said!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Banned

Now if they would only listen!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:25 AM
5th Gear

Alright. I just picked up my TL yesterday. I hate to say it but I was really hoping that all the problems described herein would not occur for me. Sure enough, driving home from work yesterday and today @ around 60, I notice a humming sound. I have a 45 mile commute each way and tend to drive @ 80mph on the major thruways.... at 80mph the sound is overwhelming. There is minor vibration but it's the hormonic type hum/buzz that is driving me crazy. I've got a 5spdAT. This sounds the same as most of you have experienced or are experiencing. Anyone buy their TL from Metro Acura in Philly? Have you reported the problem? Any success? I'm calling this in on Monday.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Racer

Turanza EL42's

After reading up all the posts relating to this issue. I checked wih the service department at my dealer and all they said was they have not heard of any such problems. When I mentioned all the posts on this forum the dealer said that they have never heard about this forum.

I was also checking the NHTSA site- http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ - and someone has filed a complaint about the Bridgestone Turanza EL42's. I guess that if all those who are having the vibration / tire issue file a complaint Acura will definitely listen...

here is a copy of the complaint from the NHTSA Site....

Report Date : January 18, 2004 at 05:13 PM
TYPE : VEHICLE
YEAR : 2004
MAKE : ACURA
MODEL : TL

Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : ACURA Model : TL Year : 2004
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10053176 Date of Failure: December 20, 2001
Component: TIRES
Summary:
ACURA 2004 TL VIN 19UUA66214A005588THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE BRIDGESTONE TIRE A VIBRATION FROM FLAT SPOTTING. ACURA IS AWARE OF THIS ON A NUMBER OF VIHICLES. THEY SAY THAT THERE WILL BE A FIX FOR IT SOON. I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFTY OF THE VIHICLE TIRES. THE TIRE PROBLEM IS WITH MANY OF THE ACURA 2004 TLS. I THINK THE DELAY IS NOT GOOD.*AK
Old 01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Racer

NHTSA is not going to investigate tire flat-spotting or miscellaneous tire vibrations. They also don't typically act on just a single or a few complaints. Notice that no one has been injured or killed by the EL42 on the TL. That's what would get their attention. (And only then if it's out of proportion to what other cars and tires experience, so even a single case of that isn't something they would get excited over. As evidence, look how many incidents it took for action in the Ford Explorer case). The complaint filed so far with them holds no more weight than a complaint that said "I don't like the comfort of my seats and the seat heaters warm up too slowly." Just my opinion.

Another perspective: I'm not sure I believe that these tires are any more dangerous on wet roads (hydroplaning) than the average tire on the average car on the road today. Yes, we can make them hydroplane. Other tires and cars do that too. Better tires would do it less. But going into a hysteria that the tires on the TL are unsafe isn't supported by any factual data that I've seen.

OK, so am I in love with these tires? No, I'm replacing them at my own expense, due to the flatspotting irritation. I definitely think Acura chose the wrong tire just due to that issue alone.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Racer

EL 42's are gone.

I now have the PILOT SPORT A/S.

The pull to the left is gone!
All vibrations are gone!

I took it fo a spin on the interstate tonight . I drove it over 100mph... No more vibration.

I don't think I lost much in ride quality.

My car in now trouble free.

Knock on wood....
Old 01-19-2004, 09:54 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congratulations 6spd!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Build 20514 and I have no problems with my 5AT. No flat spots, no vibrations. Hope I didn't jinx myself. Gotta say I like the Bridestones so far. Wonder if it is because all 4 of my tires were inflated 2 psi over the placard value?

Too bad not everyone has been as lucky as me. Best of luck guys, I hope I don't fall victim as well.

TheNip
Old 01-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
6speedzoomzoom,

Welcome to the Royal Order of A/S's. I love my TL with the new shoes; Acura can keep their "designed for the TL" EL42's.

I noticed the PSA/S has a 400 treadwear rating vs. 140 for the stock BS. The EL42's either have very soft rubber or very shallow tread. I'm guessing the latter from others' complaints about hydroplaning and snow performance.

What do you think about the noise level between the two?

Mike
'04 TL 5AT Abyss Blue Pearl/Quartz, and
Lying in wait with his receipt from Discount Tire for Acura to announce their tire replacement program.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by svtmike
6speedzoomzoom,

Welcome to the Royal Order of A/S's. I love my TL with the new shoes; Acura can keep their "designed for the TL" EL42's.

I noticed the PSA/S has a 400 treadwear rating vs. 140 for the stock BS. The EL42's either have very soft rubber or very shallow tread. I'm guessing the latter from others' complaints about hydroplaning and snow performance.

What do you think about the noise level between the two?

Mike
'04 TL 5AT Abyss Blue Pearl/Quartz, and
Lying in wait with his receipt from Discount Tire for Acura to announce their tire replacement program.
t

It may be a little more noisey.... I'm ok with that. these tires seem much stickier!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by svtmike
.......I noticed the PSA/S has a 400 treadwear rating vs. 140 for the stock BS. The EL42's either have very soft rubber or very shallow tread. I'm guessing the latter from others' complaints about hydroplaning and snow performance................
SVTMIKE, check the sidewall of the EL-42's actually the treadwear is 260, the BS site is wrong, the 140 number is the Potenza RE0030
Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the clarification, need4spd. I think I got a treadwear of about 15 of those 260 and I was done with them.

Mike
Old 01-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Even though the Michelin Pilot Sports have vastly improved my handling, quickness and fun factor in city driving, speeds above 80mph still tend to produce a nagging vibration in the steering wheel, doors, seat, center console and more. Only on very new patches of freeway does the vibe seem to subside at all. I'm just waiting for a service bulletin to fix it once and for all.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Banned

Even though the Michelin Pilot Sports have vastly improved my handling, quickness and fun factor in city driving, speeds above 80mph still tend to produce a nagging vibration in the steering wheel, doors, seat, center console and more. Only on very new patches of freeway does the vibe seem to subside at all. I'm just waiting for a service bulletin to fix it once and for all.
acuradict, have you tried road force ballancing them? Maybe the dealer did not have that Hunter unit (many shops do not).

That may do the trick and will be very worth it to try (maybe a rim is out of wack?).
Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 AM
HMFIC

Long Term Issue

This is my first post as I have been lurking while I decide between a TL and a G35. If Acura can cure this issue, I'm going with the TL.

I have a lease that ends in May and have a long term issue related to tire vibration. My car had lots of vibration at highway speeds and I did not have time to have it properly fixed until I decided to buy a new set of tires (most OEM tires are poor). Anyway, I have a slow leak in the car's power steering system and believe it may be attributed long-term (25,000 miles) of excessive wheel vibration.

Don't assume that a fix in a few more weeks will make everything perfect. Keep an eye out for other problems that MAY appear in the future related to long-term excessive vibration. Save those service receipts.

Don
Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

No more flat spotting as well.

They did Road force balance the tires.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Team Owner

I was passing someone on my way to work today and just like that, I was doing 85. Man this is a fast car. Anyway, the car was smooth as silk with the Pilot Sport A/S tires. No tire vibes at all on my car at those speeds.

Mike