Sponsored by:

Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

The saga is finally coming to an end.

Acura agreed to replace my tires after I escalated to VP of my dealership and their customer service line. I guess if you complain enough they will finally do the right thing.

They are replacing them with Michelin Pilots (My service manager did if they were A/S or not). I'll let you know as soon as I do.

My learnings GET PAST THE SERVICE MANAGER he can't make the call.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Another Home Run. Congratulations.

When will my stupid dealer have the tires changed?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

Had my car in for minor service today and a sales mgr. told me Acura to announce a replacement policy in near (week or two)future. No further details..
Old 01-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Glad to hear it, and way to be persistant.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Racer

I spoke with the Service Manager again and found out I'm getting the Pilot sport A/S tires. I hope I like them.

One other thing, they will be road force balancing the tires at my request. The service manager agreed it would be a good idea.

You all hang in there!!! I think we are pretty close to getting them to fix this problem.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Pro

Good to hear, now that it is really cold here in Toronto, I can feel the vibration at 90 kms/h.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I'd like to think that Acura has made the decision to replace or not even use the EL42's on the cars rolling off the assembly line. My car is supposed be built between today and Saturday. I'm hoping I won't have the vibration issue.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not liking this at all! This is a HUGE problem!

If Acura Corporate initiates a tire exchange program, what will everybody here complain about!?!?!? This could very well be the end of this Forum!

I'm calling Acura immediately tomorrow to stop this 'wreckless' action.

¿GotJazz?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?
I'm not liking this at all! This is a HUGE problem!

If Acura Corporate initiates a tire exchange program, what will everybody here complain about!?!?!? This could very well be the end of this Forum!

I'm calling Acura immediately tomorrow to stop this wreckless action.

¿GotJazz?
:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
We still have the memory seat Alzheimers to gripe about. And if they fix that, we can complain about how the AT shifts to fifth gear too soon.

Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

I had my first real vibration this evening. When I left work, at about 50 to 55 mph there was a lot more vibration than I had had previously. After about 10 minutes the problem seems to have greatly subsided.

I have read about flatspotting in cold weather. I live in S. Florida, and it was at the lowest maybe in the upper 60's, not exactly cold (well maybe for Florida). The car had been sitting for about 10 hours.

Other times I've noticed relatively minor vibrations at the same 50 - 55 mph, and around 80 mph.

Is this consistent with what others have had with the EL42s?

The vibration was pretty bad, but then went away.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by technogeek
I had my first real vibration this evening. When I left work, at about 50 to 55 mph there was a lot more vibration than I had had previously. After about 10 minutes the problem seems to have greatly subsided.

I have read about flatspotting in cold weather. I live in S. Florida, and it was at the lowest maybe in the upper 60's, not exactly cold (well maybe for Florida). The car had been sitting for about 10 hours.

Other times I've noticed relatively minor vibrations at the same 50 - 55 mph, and around 80 mph.

Is this consistent with what others have had with the EL42s?

The vibration was pretty bad, but then went away.
Thats what mine does
Old 01-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
That's the flatspotting vibration. Just be glad it went away.

Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Good thing.....lucky guy.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Re: Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
The saga is finally coming to an end.

Acura agreed to replace my tires after I escalated to VP of my dealership and their customer service line. I guess if you complain enough they will finally do the right thing.

They are replacing them with Michelin Pilots (My service manager did if they were A/S or not). I'll let you know as soon as I do.

My learnings GET PAST THE SERVICE MANAGER he can't make the call.

I'm sorry, but did I miss something? As per my count, a total of 3 members (AAddict, Jimmyz, and ? Mike) have had tires swapped gratis, and all by the DEALER.

Is 6spd the first to have tires replaced by CORPORATE?

If so, isn't this big news for the rest of us?

6 SPD: Please tell us specifically how you did it? More specifically, did the dealer convince corporate to do it?

HOW????
Old 01-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

Originally posted by TZVECL
I'm sorry, but did I miss something? As per my count, a total of 3 members (AAddict, Jimmyz, and ? Mike) have had tires swapped gratis, and all by the DEALER.

Is 6spd the first to have tires replaced by CORPORATE?

If so, isn't this big news for the rest of us?

6 SPD: Please tell us specifically how you did it? More specifically, did the dealer convince corporate to do it?

HOW????

Nope... acur8ly got Pilot Sport A/S, Jimmyz & acuraaddit got Pilot Sport... Mike got new EL42s then purchased Pilot Sport A/S...

Let's be patient... if Zetroc's service manager is right, the offical news should be here soon in 1-2 weeks so...
Old 01-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

Originally posted by rets
Nope... acur8ly got Pilot Sport A/S, Jimmyz & acuraaddit got Pilot Sport... Mike got new EL42s then purchased Pilot Sport A/S...

Let's be patient... if Zetroc's service manager is right, the offical news should be here soon in 1-2 weeks so...
Sorry - you're right - but they all were replaced by the dealer, right (other than Mike's A/S's).

6spd is first by corporate, right?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
I spoke with the Service Manager again and found out I'm getting the Pilot sport A/S tires. I hope I like them.
Congratulations from one Michelin Pilot success story to another. I'm really surprized they are giving you the all season model. Whatever, you're in good shape and those are great tires too, even though your seasons are about as limited as mine in So Cal.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires

Originally posted by TZVECL
you're right - but they all were replaced by the dealer, right (other than Mike's A/S's).

6spd is first by corporate, right?
Never mind...

I think all of them are 5AT, except 6spdzoomzoom... so far these swaps apparently are the results made by those dealers only, who also have discussed with their regional Rep, and those dealers seem to be willing to do this for their customers prior to Acura's actions...

Need to wait and see.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by acuraddict
Congratulations from one Michelin Pilot success story to another. I'm really surprized they are giving you the all season model. Whatever, you're in good shape and those are great tires too, even though your seasons are about as limited as mine in So Cal.
I was a little bummed but, I'll live
Old 01-15-2004, 09:44 AM
BOOK EM

Wonder if all of us reguardless if there is a tire problem or not could get them replaced with the Michelins?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not likely, I would think bridgestone is doing the replacement if in mass
Old 01-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Racer

Just make sure to tell anyone you know who's interested in the TL. If enough people go to the dealer, drive the car, and then say, "I'd buy the car if you get rid of these tires", then Acura will have to listen. Maybe this'll teach Acura to stick with what works. They used Michelins in the past. Who was the idiot who decided to change it? Probably the same idiot who thought it would be cool to put the parking break on the wrong side.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Actually, the parking brake is OK where it is - it doesn't hit your knee. Unfortunately, the radio on-off switch does.....
Old 01-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Banned

My dealer says he has it on good authority that something in in the pipeline (whatever that means), but not to worry, that Acura will not let this continue to be a problem.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Z Factor
My dealer says he has it on good authority that something in in the pipeline (whatever that means), but not to worry, that Acura will not let this continue to be a problem.
My dealer and the regional rep told me the same thing. I believe them.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by HondaOnly
Who was the idiot who decided to change it? Probably the same idiot who thought it would be cool to put the parking break on the wrong side.
Why would you want the parking brake on the driver's side? Maybe if you're a smaller than average sized guy it wouldn't matter to you, but it would definitely get in my way if it were on the driver's side.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by acuraddict
Why would you want the parking brake on the driver's side? Maybe if you're a smaller than average sized guy it wouldn't matter to you, but it would definitely get in my way if it were on the driver's side.
You get use to it no matter which side it is on. My Vette has it on the drivers side right by the door sill, so I find myself reaching for it with my left hand in other cars at times.:lol2:
Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

It is perfect

I like it right where it is. It would be weird on the drivers side.

My service manager told me that starting tomorrow, all new TLs on the line get new tires and Acura has given the dealer permission to replace the Bridgestones with whatever makes me happy.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: It is perfect

Originally posted by MarkItZero
I like it right where it is. It would be weird on the drivers side.

My service manager told me that starting tomorrow, all new TLs on the line get new tires and Acura has given the dealer permission to replace the Bridgestones with whatever makes me happy.
All new TLs on the line get new tires - still Bridgestones, I presume? Or?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

The hint was Michelin's. But they are owned by the French and the French are a$$holes. I want Pirelli's. I try to boycot all things French.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by MarkItZero
The hint was Michelin's. But they are owned by the French and the French are a$$holes. I want Pirelli's. I try to boycot all things French.
My friend has the Pirelli P-Zero Neros on his Saab and loves them. I've heard they are quite similar to the Michelin Pilot Sports but a bit cheaper.

What about french fries though? French toast? Frenchs mustard?
Old 01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Racer

Ok here is my story I don't know all the details behind the scenes.

I reported the vibration problem about a week after I purchased the car. The service department balanced the tires. (The right front was out of balance) I left the dealer and the vibration was much worse probably a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10. I went home called the Service Manager and we scheduled a road force balancing. After that was done it wasn't as severe. 4-5 on the same scale however, when driving over 80 it was extremely severe at least a 9 and when you decelerate it was worse. I reported this to the dealer and he and I went for a ride together. and he duplicated the issue.

By this time it was around Christmas and he wanted to talk to the regional service rep and figure out where to go from here. One note, he drove another 6spd and experienced the same vibration. At this time after reading this site for awhile I contacted Acura customer service. They didn't do anything at this point. I then spoke with my sales person and he recommended I speak with the VP. I decided to wait until the service manager spoke to his rep (which took week).

I was finally contacted by my Service Manager and he and the Acura Service rep decided to wait because there would be a fix introduced in Feb. I was not okay with this. I then contacted Acura Corp again I gave them a piece of my mind they created a case and said that I would be contacted. that was last week. I then called the VP of my dealership and he said he would take care of it. I don't know if he ever did talk to Acura. I also printed a bunch of stuff of this website and gave it to the Service Manager.

Acura Corp. called me back yesterday and explained that they were going to replace the tires. They explained that they were not replacing them as a fix. They explained that I may still have the issue.

One small note. I have purchased 5 Hondas from this dealership and 3 Acura’s from this dealership since 1990. If you’re new to the dealership they may not be as accommodating
Old 01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

freedom fries, freedom toast, ect.....
Old 01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

just saw you were from indy

Peyton manning was incedible! I hope you guys beat new england. that was a great game to watch even though we got our butt's kicked.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Newbie for Life

Not to get into a big political debate, but I'm with you on the "Freedom" stuff.

Not to get into a sports topic either, but Peyton showed he is unequivocally the only MVP in the league this year. He's played consistent all year long and REALLY stepped it up in the playoffs this year - whipping up on Denver real bad and then outshooting your Chiefs. Neither team had a defense last Sunday, that's for sure. He's the real deal, in my opinion.

Back to the TL, I hope you get your tires swapped out - heck, I'm all for people being happy with their car and if it's the EL42's causing your problems, so be it.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

mine are the potenza

I have a TL 6M with HPT option. I have flat spotting like crazy and an "oscillation" at higher hiway speeds.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Advanced

It is not just the EL 42's. I have the OEM 18's w/ Yoko ES100's, I am waiting on an answer as well.

Nick
Old 01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

what is exactly wrong with yours?

are you having vibration issues? Which vibration?

1. Automatic transmission 50+mph?

2. Flatspot vibration?

3. Highway speed oscillation?
Old 01-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Advanced

MIZ, 1 & 3

V/R,
Nick

Quick Reply: Acura Corporate agreed to replace my tires