Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Ashtray - Anyone Own One?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Ashtray - Anyone Own One?

A relatively obscure Acura accessory for the '04 TL is the ashtray. $20 gadget that sits in the cupholder.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl/08U25.pdf

I don't smoke, but I do need a place to put my daily commute tokens (no EZPass so don't go there and I hate the dispenser that comes with the car due to lack of capacity) and after owning the car for two weeks the frontmost cup holder is the only place that works for me. Problem is that occassionally I have a friend and we've got two drinks and then I've got to scoop out all the tokens

So....if anyone does have an ashtray, can you please let me know if I can somehow "hollow" it out (ie remove the ciggy holder portion) so that it can become (drumroll, please) a removeable coin cup with lid?

TIA
Old 03-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Safety Car

what about the change tray in the armrest? you can use that to hold your coins. its for quarters, dimes and nickels but i am sure the tokens will fit.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Racer

I do !.. it is ok... i use it for holding coins and the cig holder portion can be easily removed...
Old 03-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

caball- sure, tokens can fit in the armrest, but ever try to reach in there with your right hand with your left hand lowering the window / holding the steering wheel? I'm no contortionist. From a capacity standpoint, it needs to be refilled every week. Ugh.

EluSiOn- thanks! From the photo, I can't tell how the cig holder portion can be removed *and* have the lid snap shut. Does it? At least once a week I'll need to pull the contraption out of the cupholder, snap (tightly) the lid shut, and throw it into the glove compartment until it's cupholder opens up again. So....can I remove the cig portion, throw it in the garbage, put lots of tokens in it, and SNAP the lid TIGHTLY shut? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
boltjames -

You don't need to be a contortionist. Did you ever notice that the coin holder in the center console is removable?

No?

Did you ever notice the two grooves in the center armrest that the coin holder slips into?

No?

Did you ever notice the matching set of grooves that are in the map pocket on the driver door?

No?

I'll bet that you're running out to your car right now to check this out!

No?
Old 03-30-2004, 09:59 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dealer wanted around $20 for it, but it can be bought for $13.68 at
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html

Does it say "Acura" anywhere ?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

gotjazz- yes, yes, and yes. But no, no, and no I am not interested in any way shape or form of the moveable / removeable / springy / slidey coin holder that comes with the TL. I've been avoiding those types of contraptions for years....not going to start with it now. It's impractical and difficult to use when you're trying to joust a slower car at the toll starting gate

The armrest and the side door pockets are lousy for storing things you need *fast* access to. I can live with sunglasses in there (although I shouldn't have to) as I can determine that I need them before I shift into drive. But my cellphone and my tokens are completely homeless. The forward console area is what I need access to, but withiout a 'real' ashtray and without a 'real' cellphone ledge I have to use the only space that's left that has a) fast access and b) won't rattle around the plastic door pockets.

So that said....I've made the decision to store my friggin' tokens in the forward cupholder under the sliding door. What I need to know now is simply if I can remove the cig holder portion of the Acura ashtray and have a) enough rooms for lots of tokens and b) have a nice and tight snap-shut lid with the missing plastic from the cig holder.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Racer

nope... there is no acura on the tray itself...
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

elusion- EluSiOn- From the photo, I can't tell how the cig holder portion can be removed *and* have the lid snap shut. Does it? At least once a week I'll need to pull the contraption out of the cupholder, snap (tightly) the lid shut, and throw it into the glove compartment until it's cupholder opens up again. So....can I remove the cig portion, throw it in the garbage, put lots of tokens in it, and SNAP the lid TIGHTLY shut? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:18 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
boltjames - Ah, well. I thought "I knew something you don't know".

I was being snooty, and now I am sufficiently humbled.

Humbly yours,
Old 03-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

jazz/ellusion- Flew into Vegas this morning and visited the Acura dealer on West Sahara....they had an ashtray that had almost the identical model number but it's for the Honda Insight....wondering.....is the Acura ashtray a dark grey or is it black? The one I have came in a Honda box and is dark grey......wondering if I should have gotten the Acura one if it matches the console's black plastic. TIA