Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACS just called to ask how my tires are doing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACS just called to ask how my tires are doing

I told her bluntly that they are as bad if not worse than the set that came with the car.

I explained that they do smooth out much faster than the originals but until then they are horrible.

She told me that Bridgstone has redesigned them, looks to me like Bridgstone is using Firestone engineers because ever since they bought out Firestone Bridgstone has sucked.

Maybe they do make some good tires, I dunno. I do know that after owning two cars that have had to get the tires replaced (1st was a 2001 Sport Trac) because of lousy workmanship/design/you name it I've had to lose time from work to get these issues resolved.

Why anybody would use Bridgstone when so many better makes are out there makes no sense to me.

She did tell me that she would bring this up to the next level and hopefully something will be done about it.:think:
Old 03-25-2004, 01:01 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I can't remember, but were you the one that had to get your tires directly through ACS instead of through the dealer?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

No, the dealer was taking care of it for me. So far I haven't had to call ACS, I'm one of the lucky unlucky ones.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Instructor

I have had my "new" EL42 replacements a week, and I feel the same way. They seem to vibrate about 5-10 minutes as opposed to 15-20 minutes. I don't see a huge improvement. Also, it has warmed up here in Cincy, so maybe that is the real difference. Close to 70 here today.

ACS and the dealer both left me msgs about the tires yesterday. I am getting ready to call them back. I want the Michies or at least something different.

Oh, and I was one who went solely through ACS to get the tires. The dealer was pleasant but basically said it was an ACS issue, not theirs. Strange since some dealers hate it when people call ACS.

Bummer.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

BridgeStone makes some good tires, the pole position S03's are just about one of the best performance tires you can get. its a shame that the el42's came out like this.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Talked to ACS for 30 minutes. He said they have had "numerous" complaints about the tires and are trying to be responsive. He told me I should have gotten "a different model Bridgestone" based on his information, not the same model EL42s, but he didn't provide any other info. He was surprised they were the same model. Sounds weird. Anyway, I told him I'd take a different model (LSZ) if available or Michies and I'd even pay a price difference to get out of these tires. He said he "didn't know if that was an option." He said he'd check on the model tire I was supposed to get. Based on what I have read on here, everyone is getting the "recompounded" EL42s as replacements. He said he has never heard the word "recompounded" or "reengineered" with regard to the EL42s and doesn't believe they could even do that to the tires on a month's notice. He said I was supposed to receive a different model. Dealer is no help. Don't know where I go from here.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:52 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wildcat Jon:

That would be the first time we've heard from the horse's mouth that we should have gotten different Bridgestone models. Keep us posted on this -- this is very valuable information.

I guess what someone could do is find out what exactly Part #: 42751-BRI-084 represents, according to the tire worksheet. The failed part # is 42751-BRI-080.

According to acuraparts247.com, 42751-BRI-080 are the Turanzas, and 42751-BRI-081 are the Potenzas. No listing of 42751-BRI-084. It's also surprising to see that the Turanzas are actually more expensive than the Potenzas.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm one of the lucky few who got Acura to give me Michelin Pilot Sports...but this was before Bridgestone came up with a "new" EL 42. I feel sorry for you guys who are contending with yet another sub-par Bridgestone tire on your TL.

Maybe it is actually related to the Firestone acquisition. Becuase ten years ago Bridgestones were always excellent tires.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Yeah go figure and Acura is being so stupid about all this. I came from 2 previous Infinitis and now I get treated liek crap by HONDA, they insist the only fix is the new EL42 tires, I offered same thing, to pay difference or what ever, no dice! So this will be my last Acura. They are betting their repustation for some of us on Bridgestone and this is an easy fix, buy use something else, it is not like I am asking them to buy the car back. I look forward to the day when my Acura is a faint memory and I will be back in an Infiniti. Stupid over dumb tires they can easily swap.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

It really is a shame, as posted before, Bridgestone seems to be buying it's way back into the buisness, but low balling auto makers and then getting the replacement buisness (people rarely replace all 4 at a time and stick with the OEM tires).

You now see the BS EL-42's on cars such as Saturn Vue Redline, BMW 7er, X3, X5, Z8, Nissan Altima, Infiniti Q45, G35, Toyota Solaria, and more. It is wild to see them buy thier way back into the market.

BS is even on Ferrari, Lexus, Subaru, Audi, BMW 3er, Z8, S2000, NSX, etc (Potenza models).

Everywhere you turn there is a BS tire, why they can not make a tire for the TL is wild!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

I am a "tire" victim as well. What a time sucker. Had to bring the car over to the dealer, let it "set" overnight, then come back in the a.m., wait 40 mins until forman agreed that it was "flat spotting"...received 2 follow up calls immediately, dealer and ACS. I think I want to wait until next fall to do the tire replacaement, maybe by then they'll have this all worked out. I will be calling ACS in the a.m. to find out what I'll be getting as I'm on the "list"...will also ask if I can wait until next winter given there seems to be many "wrinkles" in their defect resolution!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by acuraddict
I'm one of the lucky few who got Acura to give me Michelin Pilot Sports
AA, if I recall you were still having vibrations at 80mph +. Did that ever get resolved?

Mike
Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to get mine replaced but now .. I don't wan t a replacment time that is the same or worse than the on I got. Vin # 5449
Old 03-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Finally I realized I've wasted enough time and anger on this tire issue. I made a mistake on the day of purchase by trusting the sales manager that the vibration I felt on the test drive would resolve within a few minutes. It's now two months later and it's worse (after the dealership "balanced" the tires). New Bridgestones are eventually in my future apparently, but no time frame is given. The dealership has no problem with this, despite my initial concerns on DAY 1 being dismissed by their sales manager. ACS is not apologetic or helpful. I even wrote the President of Honda America, with no response as of yet. So now I've resolved to let it slide and chalk it up to a poor decision on my part on the day of the sale. Also, to borrow the phrase from the movie, I've decided to pay it forward. To get some good from this situation, whenever I get a compliment or question about the new car (it is beautiful to look at), I tell the person about the vibrations, the bad tires and my treatment by this dealership. So far, it's been about a dozen people. So if they tell a dozen people and they tell a dozen people...etc., etc. I feel like I'm helping these people avoid the same mistake I did by giving my business to this dealership. I realize it is a great car for many of you, and I'm still holding out hope it will be for me, but in the meantime, I think I'm doing a good deed by helping people avoid a deplorable customer service by this dealer and Acura.
OK, so maybe I haven't gotten rid of all the anger yet......
Old 03-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

finishline,

Have you tried a different dealer yet?
Check out this link..
http://www.acura.com/locate/locate_index.asp
Old 03-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestion, Norse. I think the dealership should have remedied this problem with new tires immediately, but since they haven't and won't, I don't think another one will at this point.

I am waiting for a reply from Mr. Kondo, the President of American Honda and I also just found the phone number for the owner of the dealership, so I'm going to call him on Monday.

I do love the car otherwise. Well, I love the one I test drove initially. I even love the loaner I drove while they "balanced" mine. I just can't love the one they sold me.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Instructor

I feel bad for all you guys with the tire issues. I have the HPT's and a set of Falkens. But jeez....how friggin' hard can it be for bridgestone to get their engineers to fix this problem. Are tires really that hard to make? Why not just dump the el42 latest version all together and start fresh? I hope you guys get this resolved soon.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by finishline
Finally I realized I've wasted enough time and anger on this tire issue. I made a mistake on the day of purchase by trusting the sales manager that the vibration I felt on the test drive would resolve within a few minutes. It's now two months later and it's worse (after the dealership "balanced" the tires). New Bridgestones are eventually in my future apparently, but no time frame is given. The dealership has no problem with this, despite my initial concerns on DAY 1 being dismissed by their sales manager. ACS is not apologetic or helpful. I even wrote the President of Honda America, with no response as of yet. So now I've resolved to let it slide and chalk it up to a poor decision on my part on the day of the sale. Also, to borrow the phrase from the movie, I've decided to pay it forward. To get some good from this situation, whenever I get a compliment or question about the new car (it is beautiful to look at), I tell the person about the vibrations, the bad tires and my treatment by this dealership. So far, it's been about a dozen people. So if they tell a dozen people and they tell a dozen people...etc., etc. I feel like I'm helping these people avoid the same mistake I did by giving my business to this dealership. I realize it is a great car for many of you, and I'm still holding out hope it will be for me, but in the meantime, I think I'm doing a good deed by helping people avoid a deplorable customer service by this dealer and Acura.
OK, so maybe I haven't gotten rid of all the anger yet......
Finishline, I agree with you 100%, I make sure I share with everyone I meet the problems I have with my 2004 Acrua TL and tell them how they no longer can build cars, fix rattles, fix vibrations, or simply replace tires.

People are amazed by my stories, and I know they have shared with others and stopped others from buying and sharing the "love" of vibration and low quality.

You know, they invested so much in this car, and they could not get the basics right, why did they bother with so much high tech when the rest of the car is so flawed. They should have paid more attention to the basics!

I wish all much luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I do love the car otherwise. Well, I love the one I test drove initially. I even love the loaner I drove while they "balanced" mine. I just can't love the one they sold me.
I said almost those exact same words the first week I owned mine...
Old 03-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Pay it forward is my method as well.

I agree with finishline, I tell everyone how BAD Acura is, sure I say a car can have problems, but it is how the mfg treat you and resolves those problems that creates brand loyalty. Acura has taken a very bad cuteomr service stand and I called the President's office of Honda and was told same line of crap, the case manager is the final answer. When I tried to escalate they said only escalation is local BBB, some concern huh. Ironically escalating through Bridegestone is getting me better results, I may have a solution that Bridgestone is providing in a few days, we'll see. They are more concerned about my satisfaction with their tires than Acura/Honda is with the entire car! So when all is said and done I will be telling people that Acura/Honda sucks and at least Bridgestone wants to make it right! I wish Infiniti had a followup to the I35 and I would still be an Infiniti driver, sur eI love the G35 but the interior is awful or I would have bought it! Infiniti knows how to do customer service.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svtmike
AA, if I recall you were still having vibrations at 80mph +. Did that ever get resolved?

Mike
I did get that resolved! It turned out the front tires were not properly balanced the first time. Unbelievable!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

just verifying...

Originally Posted by acuraddict
I did get that resolved! It turned out the front tires were not properly balanced the first time. Unbelievable!
"Acuraddict", I just want to confirm, are you satisfied with the new replacment EL's. As I said earlier, I'm on the list, and just want to make sure the fix, is the fix. And now it's April, we won't eve be sure about "FLATSPOTTING".
Old 04-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by browndognj
"Acuraddict", I just want to confirm, are you satisfied with the new replacment EL's. As I said earlier, I'm on the list, and just want to make sure the fix, is the fix. And now it's April, we won't eve be sure about "FLATSPOTTING".
I got mine and they still flatspot. I am scheduled for a Hunter Force balancing next week. The Acura service rep said it was a balancing problem. I am still skeptical because if it was balance why would it go away after 4-5 miles, but I am willing to play their game and try anything.

If it is going to flatspot, it will still do so even when it gets warmer. We have had some 70 degree mornings here already and it felt the same as 40-50 degrees. Just goes away a little quicker.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, keep me updated. My flatspotting was "proved" after it sat in the dealer's lot over night in 26 degree weather. I'll be going to NY Auto Show, I'm going to "grind" someone there...I'll be searching for someone senior, nothing like face to face...
Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Instructor

I know it sucks to get bad tires and you shouldn't have to replace them on your own but in my mind you should just bite the bullet and do it.

Why wait for 4-6 months for Acura to get their stuff together? Many are paying $500-$700 a month of their cars and not enjoying them due to this issue, why not pay for a new set of tires and send the bill to Acura? They might not do anything, or maybe they will, but at least you would have a proper tire on your car. I get my car in a few weeks and I am going straight to 18's and will use the 17's for snow tires. The oem tire will be long gone...
Old 04-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by browndognj
He didn't get replacement EL42s, his dealer agreed to replace with Michelin Sport Pilot A/S. Lucky man.