accident...need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:29 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by vikrampatel
http://autotrader.com/fyc/searchresu...um_records=100

Those are MSRP price for used cars.....?????
The prices are close but look how the mileage varies. Your 3A adjustor will have a price in mind, find out what it is. Those Autotrader prices might be good if they try to come in low. Don't be in to big a hurry to settle, you are driving a rental that someone else is paying for. You don't have to accept their first offer, they will give you time if needed to counter the price with additional information.

The medical portion of your claim will be settled at a different time. I think you have up to one year. Make sure that you are OK before you agree to an amount. The insurance company wants to close the case and move on. You deserve time to consider your options.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
6MT & LSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol. thanks man.

i have the reciepts for most of the stuff, but my question really is.... will they write TWO checks? one for the value of the car to the bank who has the loan, and the one other check to ME for the aftermarket parts?

i just checked on ebay and see the 05 TL for 31k (buy it now price) and old auctions at the high 20's, I assume that ebay is not the best place to look for actual value of the car, but it was some indication that i wont get a lot like the 38k that was suggested.

Not sure how they'll write the checks. I'm sure the check will be written out to the insurance holder, and then you take care of the loan and whatnot. If you want 2 checks, I'm sure they'll have no problem with that.

Grand AM SE is one fun car to f&#( around in!! I had one as a rental, and I went looking for dirt roads... hair pin turns on dirt roads- those were the best. I'm not saying you should go do the same, but it's fun. haha.

35k retail for the car, plus 3k in parts (rims, tires, bodykit, laser shifter, custom v1 dash mount, v1 remote display, spoiler?, suspension) = 38k. i still think it's reasonable.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Racer

lol. thanks man.

i have the reciepts for most of the stuff, but my question really is.... will they write TWO checks? one for the value of the car to the bank who has the loan, and the one other check to ME for the aftermarket parts?

i just checked on ebay and see the 05 TL for 31k (buy it now price) and old auctions at the high 20's, I assume that ebay is not the best place to look for actual value of the car, but it was some indication that i wont get a lot like the 38k that was suggested.

Check with your insurance company to see if the aftermarket parts are covered. Some companies will not cover aftermarket equipment unless you are paying premium on them as well. Remember you might just be paying insurance premiums for a stock 2004 TL. When the claim is settled the check should be made out to the lienholder since they are in posession of the title. If there is any balance left over it should go to the policyholder. Also as far as value is concerned, every state is slightly different but most states pay the fair market value which will compare your vehicle to other 2004 TL's in your area with similar mileage and settle based on that. Stay away from using kelley's blue book for a value as they are only a retail value. retail value is a suggested asking price for a dealer. No one really goes to the used car dealer and writes a check for the asking price without negotiating. If you want a good ballpark figure for the value of your vehicle check out edmunds.com total market value as that gives you a real idea of what a car is worth.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I called my agent and he said that the aspec isnt covered.#)#(*$)(@# fuck
Old 06-10-2005, 03:02 PM
6MT & LSD

time to file that law suit! and i am 100% serious. there's no reason why you should lose anything from this accident...
Old 06-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Why the hell not ? You bought the Aspec package with the car right ? so then it should be...that is what you insured for, I agree with ndx2 here If they are trying to scam you like this then threaten them with a lawsuit if not file it...
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

No, I put it on after I bought it.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Team Nighthawk President

No, I put it on after I bought it.

Vik, you should check on that. Most auto policies have a certain amount for modifications made after vehicle is purchased. In the future, be sure to let your insurer know what mods you have made. It will increase your policy slightly, but will help in situations like this.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

See, I am confused. I read over the policy endorsement and it makes no mention of anything like that, but the acutal terms of the policy don't specifically include or exclude parts except electronic equipment (and it specifically states any radar detection devices will not be reimbursed for).

In the future I will be sure and double check, but when I had got the car, I asked my agent at the time and he said it would be covered.... so I am confused.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Team Nighthawk President

See, I am confused. I read over the policy endorsement and it makes no mention of anything like that, but the acutal terms of the policy don't specifically include or exclude parts except electronic equipment (and it specifically states any radar detection devices will not be reimbursed for).

In the future I will be sure and double check, but when I had got the car, I asked my agent at the time and he said it would be covered.... so I am confused.

Who are you insured with?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by 1hottl
Who are you insured with?
AAA Mich.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by ndx2
AAA Mich.
GEICO has up to 2k (I think)...
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

AAA Mich. - as ndx2 said.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

On the downside my back seems to be progressivly getting worse. First couple days I could sit still for a while, now I find sitting in one place for more than a few minutes hurts like all holy hell. lol
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Vikrampatel:

Just read the post....sorry to hear about the accident. So, the car was totalled...where is it right now? At an Acura dealership or a wrecker's lot?

On a side note, go see an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. I was broadsided almost 12 years ago and was not treated correctly (disc compression in the lower lumbar and broken tailbone). I am still in pain! About 5 years ago, I had a flare-up...after an MRI and 8 weeks of Physical Therapy things were doing better. There is rebound pain on occassion and a lifetime of back exercises. Get your self checked out ASAP....
Old 06-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Instructor

I think it's time to see a chiropractor. Have you gotten an xray? You probably have soft tissue damage and sprain to the neck... but to be on the safe side let the chiro check it out. This looks like a 3-4 month job at the chiro.

As for insurance not covering aftermarket parts... raise a stink about it. I would still gather up your receipts and demand it.

You might need the help of an attorney to proceed with the claim... at least consult with one. Your back and neck are getting worse and the insurance is not fully reimbursing the property damage. They're probably taking advantage of you.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

I am going to follow up with my PCP mid next week and will ask for a referral to a chrio/ortho.

hyster1 - i will definately be fighting to get them to pay up but i have also prepared myself for the loss if it comes to that. i know i should fight and get a lawyer for all this, but to be honest, i don't have the time or patience at this point. i am lucky to be alive and i will focus my time and energy on myself - not so much on the car. but this does not mean i will give up easily, i have never (and i mean never) lost out on money that should have been mine, i'm like a damn rodent, i never go away . lol. like the infiniti, i almost gave up and sold it instead of fighting the lemon law, but i realized that it was 43 grand worth of a car that i wanted my money back for, three months later the check was in the mail.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I am now overwhelmed by the excess paperwork AAA is sending me for medical costs. I am not sure how this works exactly. The forms say I have one year to send in everything for medical costs. Does this sound reasonable:

Waiting till mid next week then going back to a chrio/ortho and getting my back/neck checked out and if they say all is fine, just fill out the papers and send it in so they can pay for the medical bills? If I am in need of additional medical care then I call a lawyer to deal with all the papers and whatever medical claims/bills there are?
Old 06-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd hold off for a while on the paperwork. Pain and other issues will creep up over the next few months. Most likely, you will be getting an x-ray and MRI to conclude what type of damage has been done. Either way you go (Chiropractor or Physical Therapist/Orthopedic Surgeon), you will be getting treatment for several weeks. You need to check into that one year time limit....
Old 06-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I have had xrays for my back and they were all negative, I will probably ask for an MRI when I go back this coming week.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Hey, Vik, I just read this thread for the first time. Sorry about your accident. Every time I see one of these threads I am thankful that the Honda engineers spent so much time on the safety cage and airbags.

From the standpoint of a neurologist, which I am....Sounds like you need muscle relaxants at the very least, and rather than a orthopaedic surgeon, a neurologist or chiropractor would probably be more appropriate for your needs. While an MRI will rule out a disc herniation, in most cases it's normal or show pre-existing disease.

Soft tissue injuries like yours typically last up to a few weeks, so you're up for a bumpy ride.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey, Vik, I just read this thread for the first time. Sorry about your accident. Every time I see one of these threads I am thankful that the Honda engineers spent so much time on the safety cage and airbags.

From the standpoint of a neurologist, which I am....Sounds like you need muscle relaxants at the very least, and rather than a orthopaedic surgeon, a neurologist or chiropractor would probably be more appropriate for your needs. While an MRI will rule out a disc herniation, in most cases it's normal or show pre-existing disease.

Soft tissue injuries like yours typically last up to a few weeks, so you're up for a bumpy ride.

I am also very thankful they spent so much time working on the car. My PCP actually offered to write a prescription for muscle relaxants, but I had refused becasue it wasn't bad last week - he did say if I needed them to call and he will send in a prescription. I will be sure and ask for them now.

When I go back this week, I will also ask about a chiropractor - per your reccomendation and well, my mother also (she is a pediatrician).

Hopefully it will be a few weeks of torture and nothing after that. I hope there is no permanent damage and that it is just a few weeks of this. Thanks for your help neuronbob. I also thank everybody else who has contributed to the thread with their sympathies and other thoughs/ideas.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

Wow... glad to hear that you are kinda ok. That other car must have really been going fast though. (50-60mph?)
Was it that Ford Ranger that hit you? Have you seen the police report yet?

Good luck with getting back that money on the A-spec kit. As far as a new car goes... the 9-3 is kinda cool, as is the A4 (except it is unreliable).
If you wanted a nice safe used car for the money... an '01 740i or an '01 540i would fill the spot nicely I think.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sweetride01
Wow... glad to hear that you are kinda ok. That other car must have really been going fast though. (50-60mph?)
Was it that Ford Ranger that hit you? Have you seen the police report yet?

Good luck with getting back that money on the A-spec kit. As far as a new car goes... the 9-3 is kinda cool, as is the A4 (except it is unreliable).
If you wanted a nice safe used car for the money... an '01 740i or an '01 540i would fill the spot nicely I think.

I was guessing 40-50mph as the speed limit was 40. Yes, it was the ranger and Yes I saw the police report just friday I got a copy.

I think I am going to jump back into the TL or the RL, they did a good job designing the cars and teh safety features are obviously top notch so I am happy with it.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm Baaack!

Hey Vik .. Glad your still with us, sorry about your car.

As I read through this post, two threads keep re-appearing -
1) You keep saying you don't have the time to contact an attorney
2) every page you keep listing other things that aren't covered, or your injuries are getting worse, or another hassel.

Look pal, I understand you don't think an attorney is necessary, and you don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but this is getting serious. You're injured, you're getting a runaround from your insurance, you are now starting to be given contracts signing over indeminity .... it's time to get a professional on your side for all of this. If he (or she) starts chasing things you don't agree with, you can always real them in, but it's time to get someone (besides the 10s of thousands of Acurazine bretheren ) on your side.

I'm begging ya ... go talk to an attorney. Even if you don't sign, at least get their thoughts.

Take Care of yourself.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Hey Vik .. Glad your still with us, sorry about your car.

As I read through this post, two threads keep re-appearing -
1) You keep saying you don't have the time to contact an attorney
2) every page you keep listing other things that aren't covered, or your injuries are getting worse, or another hassel.

Look pal, I understand you don't think an attorney is necessary, and you don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but this is getting serious. You're injured, you're getting a runaround from your insurance, you are now starting to be given contracts signing over indeminity .... it's time to get a professional on your side for all of this. If he (or she) starts chasing things you don't agree with, you can always real them in, but it's time to get someone (besides the 10s of thousands of Acurazine bretheren ) on your side.

I'm begging ya ... go talk to an attorney. Even if you don't sign, at least get their thoughts.

Take Care of yourself.
I am starting to see this as much more of a possibility. From my understnading, the auto claim and the medical claims are settled at different times, so if AAA settles the auto claim to my satisfaction this week (which they are to contact me with an initial offer on tuesday), I will accept. Now, for the medical claim, after reading through the papers I am likely to look for an attorney to handle the work and any other medical fees that need to be taken care of. What I am unclear of is, if I have an attorney handle my medical claims, how does he get paid? I am not looking to go after the insurance company to pay out excess money - only for medical expenses. I know, in theory I could gain additional money for pain and suffering, but is this something I really want to attempt to collect on? I am not entirely sure as of now. I guess it depends if my back continues to get worse.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:34 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

I can't find any crash-test results for a 7-series... I think the reason is that they are assumed to be the safest cars on the road (and they probably are).

A new TL or RL would be great though. The RL should do even better than the TL safety-wise.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Instructor

If all you're looking for is medical and property damage then an attorney will just tell you what to do. They won't handle a claim for you unless you leave everything to them. They will decide what to demand. Most of the time, they will refer you to a doctor/chiro. They will then settle the expenses with that doctor afterwards.

Here is a typical attorney handled claim: 1) a claim is filed by the attorney with the insurance company, 2) arrangements are made for rental if needed, 3) attorney refers you to a doctor/chiro, 4) attorney dtermines the FMV value of your car + aftermarket additions, 5) a demand for property damage is made (usually non-negotiable, 6) you continue with medical treatment, 7) once property settlement is received, you return the rental (property damage is not shared with attorney), use this to pay off loan 8) once doctor/chiro determines injuries are substantially healed, case will be closed, usually takes a 1-3 months depending on the injury 9) attorney will receive medical bills from doctor, 10) attroney will demand medical expenses, pain & suffering, loss wages, etc., 11) attorney will negotiate a settlement, 12) once settlement is made with insurance, medical expenses are settled with doctor/chiro if they were refered by attorney, 13) attorney will then take a percentage of the settlement leaving you with what's left. This money will be yours and no one elses.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by huyster1
If all you're looking for is medical and property damage then an attorney will just tell you what to do. They won't handle a claim for you unless you leave everything to them. They will decide what to demand. Most of the time, they will refer you to a doctor/chiro. They will then settle the expenses with that doctor afterwards.

Here is a typical attorney handled claim: 1) a claim is filed by the attorney with the insurance company, 2) arrangements are made for rental if needed, 3) attorney refers you to a doctor/chiro, 4) attorney dtermines the FMV value of your car + aftermarket additions, 5) a demand for property damage is made (usually non-negotiable, 6) you continue with medical treatment, 7) once property settlement is received, you return the rental (property damage is not shared with attorney), use this to pay off loan 8) once doctor/chiro determines injuries are substantially healed, case will be closed, usually takes a 1-3 months depending on the injury 9) attorney will receive medical bills from doctor, 10) attroney will demand medical expenses, pain & suffering, loss wages, etc., 11) attorney will negotiate a settlement, 12) once settlement is made with insurance, medical expenses are settled with doctor/chiro if they were refered by attorney, 13) attorney will then take a percentage of the settlement leaving you with what's left. This money will be yours and no one elses.

Thanks for the information.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazymjb
My dad is an attorney. http://www.sally-fitch.com/Bio/PeterBall.asp, he looks kinda funny but hes a great lawyer if your in the boston area, only problem is he doesnt care about cars, so he says, so my mom has to spend all his money.
he looks like a ball-breaker
Old 06-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok guys, AAA called and offered me $33,370 for the car. I would also get the $500 deductible back later. They are not willing to budge from there, she said I could retain a lawyer and have them contact AAA and it would then be appraised by a state certified appraiser. What do I do?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Ok guys, AAA called and offered me $33,370 for the car. I would also get the $500 deductible back later. They are not willing to budge from there, she said I could retain a lawyer and have them contact AAA and it would then be appraised by a state certified appraiser. What do I do?
Are they going to pay sales tax on top of that figure? They should...check with them to make sure.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

That includes tax.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1hottl
Are they going to pay sales tax on top of that figure? They should...check with them to make sure.
Was the car leased ?
If so you never paid the full sales tax .. other wise you should get a seetlement including the sales tax.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Instructor

That includes tax.
So their giving you like $31k as a settlement. Where you looking to get more ?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
$33,370 for an 05 ASPEC w/ Nav? Sticker on that is $38k...with the offset of price neg and taxes, fees, etc., OTD is probably $36-37k. But you have to remember, they are insuring just the car, which is probably $1,500-$2k less than the OTD #, depending on your tax rate. Not sure how long you had the car (8 months at most), but that seems reasonable. It comes to $300-400/mo depreciation, which works out when you look at prices on used 04's.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

6 months had the car. It was purchased, their offer was $31,900+tax. They will NOT cover a-spec. She was very firm on that and said if I wanted more I would have to contact an attorney and it would go to a state approved appraisal board.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Racer

Vik: Find out if your policy includes upgrades and of up to what amount. If they do not include upgrades, you would have to search the US market for a similar vehicle and see what the asking price for it is to use as a guideline. It would be best to search your area but it is very unlikely you will find a vehicle on sale with your mileage on it. Ask them if they will let you have the rims also.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

They won't cover any upgrades. They will not let me have the rims either. The car was towed to a junkyard where it will be auctioned off.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Non-ASPEC nav's seem to be going for $32k lately...their offer would cover that plus taxes.

Now, if you didn't tell them it was ASPEC, I could see them not covering it...insurance companies don't usually cover mods (even dealer installed ones) unless you tell them about them. They were insuring a $33k car, not a $38k car, from their perspective; therefore, they're going to pay you based on owning a $33k car for 6 months.