Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to buy new TL-S from out of state

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about to buy new TL-S from out of state

I am on the verge of buying a new '08 TL-S (WDP). However, the dealer is out of state (no more new '08 TL-S WDP available in-state).

Wondering if anyone thinks this is not a good idea (since I am unable to see or test-drive the actual car before I buy).

I had the dealer fax me the window sticker. They also e-mailed me pics of the actual vehicle. I looked up the VIN on Carfax, and it looks to be a brand-new car. The dealer said there's about 55 miles on it. They have given me what I think is a good offer (32985 [which includes a high doc fee] + TTL). 0.9% APR. There is also the price to ship the car to me on a carrier (quote estimates vary from ~ $400-800).

I recently found out that they also have a $3500 manufacturer-to-dealer incentive. Should I negotiate further with them, perhaps down another $400 or so, to help cover the cost of shipping? Another out-of-state dealer is running a 0% APR deal on their remaining '08 Acuras (including a couple TL-Ss, although in a different color); this could be used as a bargaining chip.

The dealer that has the vehicle I want still has 7 base '08 TLs remaining, in addition to the 1 '08 TL-S.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

I would not hesitate to buy it out of state. It looks like a good deal. With so few TL-S's left I would just go for it. I just bought a new 08 tl-s a few months ago and LOVE it! If I were in your situation I would travel to the dealer and enjoy driving my car back home

good luck!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 AM
once you go black....

^+1
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+2

If it is brand new, what do you have to lose!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
While I have never done this before, I don't see anything wrong with it. I believe on this large of a purchase you have 3 days to change your mind if you want. Keep in mind that you will also have to pay sales tax to your state once you register the car. If it is the car you want at the price you want to pay, go for it!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by gumilla
I would not hesitate to buy it out of state. It looks like a good deal. With so few TL-S's left I would just go for it. I just bought a new 08 tl-s a few months ago and LOVE it! If I were in your situation I would travel to the dealer and enjoy driving my car back home

good luck!
+3

Get 'em where and while you can. No harm in add'l negotiation; they didn't offer the $3500 rebate? Drive it home - you can fly there for $400 - $800.

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
....Keep in mind that you will also have to pay sales tax to your state once you register the car. ....

You sure about that? *Sales* Tax? I thought sales tax was paid to the State where the purchase is *made*, not where the purchase is *used*.

Use/property Tax, yes. Sales tax, I'm not so sure.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:07 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I had bought my '05 out of state and don't regret it at all. Flying up there was cheaper than shipping it. And since mine's a manual, it was the best break-in process.

If you do decide to get it and drive it down, make sure they leave the protective film on or your bumper and hood will get chipped due to the weak paint.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Talked to local DMV. He is right. I would pay sales tax in the state where I live and get the car registered, NOT in the state where the dealer is located. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bought my car out of state. No problems as of yet...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
that price he gave you was with the 3500 dealer cash included already....that is how much i paid for my type s last year with the same dealer cash....

if you are looking for a brand new type s, you had better not wait....
Old 12-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by al1515
Talked to local DMV. He is right. I would pay sales tax in the state where I live and get the car registered, NOT in the state where the dealer is located. Thanks for your input.
So how does that work? Will the dealer register the car in your state before you leave the lot?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
So how does that work? Will the dealer register the car in your state before you leave the lot?
nope, that will be the buyers responsibility, and you will be expected to pay the sales tax in whole at that time....
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gumilla

good luck!

Ditto! So few left, go for it fast!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
There was another member in here that recently bought an 08 TL-S out of state and drove it back home. It was a great experience for him. I'd go for it. Good luck with your deal and welcome to AZ
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go fir it too....
One little piece of advice...DO NOT use the Cruise Control on your way home if you drive it back. You absolutely need to vary the speed for break-in (at least for the first 500 miles). So while you'll enjoy the ride, you may get tired of varying your speed on the highway. If it were me, I'd do that, but it's up to you. I look at shipping as another opportunity for someone else to screw something up or scratch the car. And since you're buying it with some miles on it already and it's from out of state, you'll have a very hard time getting any paint/scratch/dent issues resolved with the dealership you're buying from once the car is in the hands of the shipper. If you pick it up yourself, you can carefully inspect the car, and get a consession of some kind for any repairs or touchups if they're needed before you sign on the dotted line. If they ship it, no matter what they will not own up to any damage the car has on it when it arrives.
Either way, have fun and enjoy the car if you decide to get it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by al1515
I am on the verge of buying a new '08 TL-S (WDP). However, the dealer is out of state (no more new '08 TL-S WDP available in-state).

Wondering if anyone thinks this is not a good idea (since I am unable to see or test-drive the actual car before I buy).

I had the dealer fax me the window sticker. They also e-mailed me pics of the actual vehicle. I looked up the VIN on Carfax, and it looks to be a brand-new car. The dealer said there's about 55 miles on it. They have given me what I think is a good offer (32985 [which includes a high doc fee] + TTL). 0.9% APR. There is also the price to ship the car to me on a carrier (quote estimates vary from ~ $400-800).

I recently found out that they also have a $3500 manufacturer-to-dealer incentive. Should I negotiate further with them, perhaps down another $400 or so, to help cover the cost of shipping? Another out-of-state dealer is running a 0% APR deal on their remaining '08 Acuras (including a couple TL-Ss, although in a different color); this could be used as a bargaining chip.

The dealer that has the vehicle I want still has 7 base '08 TLs remaining, in addition to the 1 '08 TL-S.
First off congratulations on your impending purchase. I just bought a 2007 Type-S from out of state. I flew out there and drove it home (700+ miles).

I looked up the 2008 Type-S on edmunds.com and the invoice on it is $35,877. Deduct the $3,500 incentive from that and you're at $32,377. That is what the dealer paid Acura for the car so he is making $608 on it. I was told once that $500 is the minimum fair profit a dealer should make on a new car and this late in the year, that should be expected. So you might be able to get him down another hundred.

There should be no issues with shipping the car. I take it that you do not want to fly there and drive it home. Maybe it's all the way across the country or you don't want to put the miles on it. One thing you should consider then is literally fly out in the morning, inspect, test drive, and buy the car and complete the paperwork, then fly home the same day. I'm sure the dealer would be happy to send someone to pick you up and take you back to the airport.

You are spending $33k on a new car - what's a few hundred more and one day of your time to make sure that you know what you are getting?

Hope that helps. And oh yeah, you pay sales tax based on your current address, not where you bought the car. Which is good for me since OR does not have sales tax.

Al
Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

As far as how much the dealer is making on the car . . . I found some interesting info on www.newcarinsider.com. There are at least 5 factors that drive down the dealer's actual cost of the car: dealer holdback, factory-to-dealer cash, carry-over allowance, advertising charge, and floor plan kickbacks. Therefore, perhaps the dealer would be making more than $608? That's why I figured I could bargain them down a little more (~ $400) to help with shipping.

You are right. To fly there and drive the car back, it might be a little too much time commitment for me (~ 450 miles), given that we just had a new addition to the family, and I might be accused of family abandonment if I were gone for even just one day.

I did consider your suggestion of flying out to inspect it and take care of paperwork. In this case, I would be gone for a morning and afternoon, which might be more acceptable to others in the house - I would need to check with my bosses!

Thanks so much to you (cab13367) and all you other guys who pitched in your 2 cents to help me with this complicated decision.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

ChicagoBurbs,

I would think the shipping carrier would be motivated to find any little imperfection in the car before loading it onto the truck. Otherwise, when it gets unloaded where I live, and I find these flaws, I'll be blaming the carrier for it. When the carrier notes these flaws (before the car is delivered), I can talk to the dealer about it and get whatever concessions at that time. (man, this could get a little complicated)
Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jump on it Man. I got my TL S WDP 3 months ago for 33900. so your offer is good.
P.S. drove 48 miles to a dealer that had what i was looking for.

Last edited by Sal's Type S; 12-10-2008 at 01:49 AM.