Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT easier to shift with more miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT easier to shift with more miles?

Can't decide on 5at or 6mt. Never owned auto except w/ current Lexus ES330, and miss the manual transmission. Selling it next week, and planning on waiting for 05 TL or just buy the 04 now.

I test drove the 6MT recently, and found it is jumpy starting in 1st and shifting from 1st to 2nd. I suspect I am not use to the transmission yet. Does it take time for the manual transmission to break in since I test drove 6MT with only few miles on it. Test drove both the 5AT and 6MT, and had fun with both. I ended up switching the 5AT to its tiptronics (?) mode all the time. Will the 6MT become less jumpy over time?

How do 5AT owners like the tiptronics mode? It seemed to work fine on the test drive?

Also, owned a 03 Accord EX V6, but traded it due to all the rattles and reflection from the split dash. Do the 04 TL still have all the problems with rattles?

Did notice the blind spot in the TL! I'll have to get use to this while merging onto highway...

Thanks for any feedback on the transmissions!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: 6MT easier to shift with more miles?

Originally posted by dmluds
Will the 6MT become less jumpy over time?

How do 5AT owners like the tiptronics mode? It seemed to work fine on the test drive?

No the 6MT won't get less jumpy, it's your clutch foot that will get used to it and your shifting will become smoother over time.

Tiptronic (Sport Shift) or whatever they call it now is still an AT (most cars have them now) and just lets you "simulate" a manual tranny by letting you up/ down shift in sequence. You still can't do some stuff like you do with your MT, like heel and toeing as well as blipping the throttle. And engine braking might do so damage to the AT as they say here.

Whatever they say, it's nothing like a manual tranny.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Racer

There are some threads in here focusing on one or two notchy gates (each one reports a different gear, just depends on the car I guess). I haven't noticed this, my car slides smoothly into all of them. The jumpyness you're noticing will probably disappear as you tweak your technique to the way the clutch engages right up at the top of the throw. If you miss driving a stick, once you make that adjustment you're in for a treat. The 5AT is nice ride, but the 6MT is light years ahead of it in fun factor.

There are also threads discussing dash/door/headliner rattles. I've pretty much lucked out all the way around, I've had zero quality control issues with my car thus far. You're right about the blind spot, rear vis is not this car's strong suit.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you enjoy your TL as much as I do.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Re: 6MT easier to shift with more miles?

Originally posted by dmluds

For my preference, I don't like 5AT Sport Shift Mode. It's almost totally useless, except using to hold the gear. The main problem is there is the significant lag when you shift between gears.

I'd get 6MT if I'm not living in traffic cities. Based on what I know, more miles/more time in driving 6MT will make your clutch/gear wheels be better operated, IMO. They need time to correspond to each other, so do you.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MT very much makes you a part of the driving experience, however in traffic is can be a tiresome chore.

Whenever someone asks which is better I always tell them to try a MT in their worst traffic conditions, drive it during rush hour. If you are cool with it, then it willl be tons more fun when no-one is on the road.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clutch adjusts nicely with a few K, you will also get adjusted yourself to it. I'm at 9K now and I cant tell the difference between a civic clutch and the TL's. Its butter smooth.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Advanced

I test drove a 6 spd and had zero problems with jumping. I think that is attributed to the fact that I currently drive a 6 spd 540 which has a very jumpy 1 to 2 shift. So me thinks that once you get used to the feeling of the clutch all will be fine. BTW did you notice any torque steer in your test.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Advanced

UminChu,
I see you are from Ill. You have cold weather for sure just like New York. Do you have a stiffness and or a slight grinding when you first use car in morning? I have noticed that for the 1st 10-15 minutes, after a cold night, the shift from 1st to 2nd is more than notchy in fact a bit of grinding. Later it is silky smooth. I am scheduled for a check up next week. Maybe it needs an adjustment hopefully nothing else.
How about others in the cold weather states?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It should get less notchy as the transmission gets broken in. I've got a little more than 700 miles on mine so far and the shifting is improving. I've yet to have any grinding occur.

I live in Minnesota and our temperatures have taken a dramatic jump in the last week or so - several days in the 60's - and that may also have something to do with the improvement in shifting.

The clutch on the TL is finicky and tough to feel, especially in 1st and 2nd, 2nd being the worst to smoothly engage. But as posted earlier, you'll get used to it over time and it will smooth out. I'm getting to the point where I can get a smooth change to 2nd after a few weeks of driving.

My advice is be slower and more deliberate in shifting the trans until getting used to how things feel as the lever goes into a gear, how the clutch feels, and sounds the engine is making.

I hadn't driven a clutch for something like 10 years, and it does take some getting used to again.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Pices312
UminChu,
I see you are from Ill. You have cold weather for sure just like New York. Do you have a stiffness and or a slight grinding when you first use car in morning? I have noticed that for the 1st 10-15 minutes, after a cold night, the shift from 1st to 2nd is more than notchy in fact a bit of grinding. Later it is silky smooth. I am scheduled for a check up next week. Maybe it needs an adjustment hopefully nothing else.
How about others in the cold weather states?
I haven't experienced any stiffness or grinding, but some other threads discuss accounts almost exactly as you describe. My car is smooth as silk into and out of all gears, in all temperatures and conditions, at all times. The more I read about some of the issues other owners encounter with their TLs, the more I am thankful for all the trouble free, good fortune I've been enjoying with this car.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Advanced

kosh2258,
I agree that the TL's tranny takes a bit getting used to. Itraded a 350Z with a standard tranny to get this car. The clutch catch point is higher for the TL than the Zcar. I have been able to heel toe more smoothly lately after adjusting my seat position. Other than the notchiness of the shift the car has been flawless. (knock on wood lol). I will see if the dealer can find something but you know how those gremlins are never cooperating when the mechanic takes the car for a ride.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

the notchiness i was told would go away after a few thousand miles of driving. going from 1-2 and 2-3 is sometimes a little notchy. i have 1K miles on the car and the clutch did not get less jumpy. i just adjusted to it and now it drives as smooth as butter.