Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6mt clutch slipping!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt clutch slipping!

My clutch is slipping! and i think its my fault! i was at the track. im at the line. i have the vsa off and the engrine revved to about 3.5 -4k rpm. light turns green, i dropp the clutch and off i go with the tire sqealing (spell check). i shift to second, but i dont know if i mis shift of the gears didn't catch. so the rpms just jumped to redline and didn't go anywhere! den i get the burnt clutch smell. den when i came to a stop. on first gear, it feels like its slightly slipping and jerks a lil bit when i release the clutch. (this only happens from a dead stop and only on first gear). now im worried my clutch has gone bad! will the dealer know that i beat up the clutch if i bring it in?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,288 Likes on 2,646 Posts
You may have only minorly glazed the clutch facing, from your description it sounds like it's not alot. Hopefully and typically this will wear off in a few hundred miles of normal clutch use..

It's fairly visible if the clutch is removed, so most mechanics can easily tell resspecially if the clutch is slipping and there is alot of material left and the clutch is properly adjusted.

Clutch face glazing is caused by large amount of clutch slipage creates alot of surface heat which can cause the clutch binder material to change into a glass like surface.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by dtpjigzer
My clutch is slipping! and i think its my fault! i was at the track. im at the line. i have the vsa off and the engrine revved to about 3.5 -4k rpm. light turns green, i dropp the clutch and off i go with the tire sqealing (spell check). i shift to second, but i dont know if i mis shift of the gears didn't catch. so the rpms just jumped to redline and didn't go anywhere! den i get the burnt clutch smell. den when i came to a stop. on first gear, it feels like its slightly slipping and jerks a lil bit when i release the clutch. (this only happens from a dead stop and only on first gear). now im worried my clutch has gone bad! will the dealer know that i beat up the clutch if i bring it in?
Yeah, they'll know, so suck it up and take responsibility for your actions. If you try to make up some story and convince Acura to fix it for free, you just add to the cost of future cars and support for the rest of us.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Yep, you blew. it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

He's here to ask for help, let's not yell at him. It seems like your clutch is just slightly burnt, I don't think you will need to replace new clutches. You will be ok, just drive normally for awhile and it'll be back to normal.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:38 AM
AZ Community Team

I agree, a minor clutch galzing typically wears off with several hundred miles of normal driving.

Try to remember you're not Michael Scumacher
Old 03-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
keep in mind

The clutch is not a street and strip clutch as well. Those kinds of launches and botches will really impact the life of the clutch.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:30 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
He's here to ask for help, let's not yell at him. It seems like your clutch is just slightly burnt, I don't think you will need to replace new clutches. You will be ok, just drive normally for awhile and it'll be back to normal.

Yeah, dude just wants some advice - that's what the forum is here for. Anyway, just keep an eye on it and like was stated above, it sounds like just some glazing and should wear off soon. ... the slipping is not noticable in higher gears when you get on it?!? How bad does it slip?

Let's hope for the best.

And for the other post, it's Schumacher ... too bad he is driving for the Italian Team.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
Yeah, dude just wants some advice - that's what the forum is here for. Anyway, just keep an eye on it and like was stated above, it sounds like just some glazing and should wear off soon. ... the slipping is not noticable in higher gears when you get on it?!? How bad does it slip?

Let's hope for the best.

And for the other post, it's Schumacher ... too bad he is driving for the Italian Team.
thanks guys!

the slippin is only noticeable in first gear when releasing the clutch! but shifts pretty normal throughout all the other gears.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Yeah, they'll know, so suck it up and take responsibility for your actions.
did you not read above? it says "I think its my fault". and not once did i mention having the dealer fix it. i came here for help!. and if the clutch is out, i'll replace it with a better one. is there a better one out there for the 6mt's?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
did you not read above? it says "I think its my fault". and not once did i mention having the dealer fix it. i came here for help!. and if the clutch is out, i'll replace it with a better one. is there a better one out there for the 6mt's?
Then why were you concerned if the dealer would notice?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

you cannot burn a clutch one bad launch. unless you have been driving wrong this whole time its probably just slightly a placebo effect going on. when you left the track the clutch may have been glazed and was probably pretty hot. drive the car around normally for a little more and see if you notice actually slipping.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Warranty...

It will depend on how "fried" the clutch is. You might be able to slip it (pun intended ) by the dealer and get it covered.

But if Acura asks to have the part sent in for inspection, they might catch the fact you abused it and deny the warranty.

Warning, however. TMI on this post, could get you a denial. It has happened to Mitsu EVO owners who've posted about racing their vehicles and Mitsu has voided their warranty based on the postings.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have been to a dealer when a clutch was being replaced from abuse and I recall the service manager telling the service writer to tell the customer when they call or come in that we are replacing the clutch this time, but we suspect that the clutch was abused after we closely inspected the parts.

I had to ask.. how many miles were on it.. the service writer smiled and said 14000.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

the clutch is back to normal now! i no longer feel that little slip anymore! you're probably right about that glazed clutch lengend! thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt a mfr would cover clutch replacement unless the is clear evidence of a manufacturing defect. Too many variables, the worst of which is the driver. A good driver will get 200k+ from a clutch. For a bad driver there's no lower limit. You can kill it in a day. I've had many go far beyond 100k before getting rid of the car and the clutches were all good. Only once did I replace a clutch, on a car with 125k and a bad motor mount, which made the clutch wear prematurely.

Back to your situation: Like everyone says, a few hundred miles of normal driving should clear up the problem. Driven well a Honda clutch should last 200k easy. A few bad launches shouldn't destroy it too soon. Just take it easy on it.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe on a 4cyl accord... ..

I have had friend with maximas etc and the newer ones only last about 75K I have seen some clutches last about 110 but I notice some considerable slippage. But then it was a 4 cyl and not some barn burner...
Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 AM
AZ Community Team

My wife's 1986 Integra clutch was still good after 240K miles when donated last year, the main factor is the operator and environment (city/highway, hills/flat, towing...) in clutch life.

There are ocassionally some clutch design issues, 1st gen Legend's had a clutch design problem that caused many/most to wear out before 100K miles. A friend used to own two Porsche 928's, his early "S" model with the twin disc clutch went in less than 50K miles. The later S4 model with it's revised single disc clutch is still working well after 120K miles. He has also autocrossed both, the "S" model had 234 HP while the later model had 316HP.

t would cause early
Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Back to your situation: Like everyone says, a few hundred miles of normal driving should clear up the problem. Driven well a Honda clutch should last 200k easy. A few bad launches shouldn't destroy it too soon. Just take it easy on it.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
6th Gear

the clutch is back to normal now! i no longer feel that little slip anymore! you're probably right about that glazed clutch lengend! thanks guys!
Very cool.

Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the clutch before this episode? I wonder if a new/newer clutch reacts badly to a "bad launch" vs. one that is "broken in."

I would agree with a couple of other posts...one or two dropped clutch launches should not wreck this clutch. (Just don't make it a habit!

--G.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kosh2258
It will depend on how "fried" the clutch is. You might be able to slip it (pun intended ) by the dealer and get it covered.

But if Acura asks to have the part sent in for inspection, they might catch the fact you abused it and deny the warranty.

Warning, however. TMI on this post, could get you a denial. It has happened to Mitsu EVO owners who've posted about racing their vehicles and Mitsu has voided their warranty based on the postings.
makes sense why would mitsubishi be responsible for some ricer's ignorance.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
You may well have hot-spotted it, but let's stay in the positive thinking mindset and say that your situation will improve over time.

Gregger: Good point - clutches most assuredly do have break-ins, just like brakes. They are "green" when new, and outgas after several thermal cycles of moderate heating and cooling. On my NSX, the guy who pulled my car off the transporter slipped the clutch so badly, that when i test drove my new car (1 of 713!!!), the car "juddered" - jerked and shuddered. I had Acura replace the clutch before I would take possession, and they had a field engineer from Honda West run me through the break-in cycle technique - seems that being a journalist pays off sometimes, and frankly, I think the dealer was scared of fouling things up again, as a clutch replacement is a big deal on that car. But I drove it for many miles after that with no problems at all
Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Road Rage
... they had a field engineer from Honda West run me through the break-in cycle technique - seems that being a journalist pays off sometimes
So...what was the break-in cycle technique?

How does being a journalist pay off? (I got out of that business 10 years ago...)