Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT Brake Squeal Observation

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 07:06 AM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT Brake Squeal Observation

On Sunday, I washed by car and spent a lot of time cleaning the wheels. They required a lot rinsing to get all the brake dust off. Much to my amazement, the brakes no longer squeal. Formerly, they sqealed most of the time during very light brake application at parking lot speeds.

It's only been about 70 miles so far, but it's nice having quiet brakes - I'm sure it won't last long. Looks like the brakes may have a problem routing brake dust away from the braking surface.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

Don
Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 AM
9th Gear

'04 TL 6MT brake squeal and peeling paint

The Brembo brakes equipped on the 6MT are apparently notorious for this noise issue. Mine are so loud some times that it's embarrasing. The dealer has already "serviced" them once by putting a layer of moly on the pads, this however, only lasted about 3-4 days. As for the brake dust on the fronts, that also borders on ridiculous. My wheels won't stay clean for a full day. And I have also noticed a "popping" sound when the brake is applied after having reversed, the dealer says that can be attributed to the pads shifting in the caliper, and that there are no remedies for this.
I also noticed the first time I washed mine that the paint looked as though it had been peeled back on the front bumper fascia where it meets the fenders. The car is in the shop for a repaint on this, and the service advisor tells me this isn't the first such "repair" at their shop. Hmm, what happened to Acura's quality control? I still love the car, but gees, it makes you wonder what happened here.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

yup had it squeal for like almost 2K miles. i still get some every now and then but almost never, usually at very slow speeds(almost a crawl). i have about 5800 miles on the car now.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:20 AM
HMFIC

I hear a single click in the dash when I apply the brakes at any speed, it sounds like an electrical relay triggering the brake lights. Anybody else notice this?

Don
Old 06-08-2004, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Yes, My 6MT TL has squealing brake noise whenever I come to stop at stop sign/traffic light... It's quite embrassing that your new TL makes squealing noise when it gets all the attention at the stop sign.... :'( I brought my car to Acura Service and they sprayed 'something' on the brake pad to eliminate the noise only for 2 days. They said they'll replace brake pad if necessary, however, I'm not sure that solves the problem permanently. Any suggestions regarding how to remove this noise?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Team Emerald City Janitor

I had the same noise for about the 1st 1500 miles. I haven't heard it over the last 1000. Hopefully it is gone for good. Still have the damn brake dust all over my front rims
Old 06-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the loud squeal with light pedal pressure when new. Now, with 4K the noise has reduced significantly. Still there sometimes but not enough where I would want a dealer to look at it.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:27 PM
9th Gear

Does anyone know if the brake dust shields that are available aftermarket will help with the dust in this particular application, and will they obscure the caliper or be highly visible through the wheel?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by POnca
Yes, My 6MT TL has squealing brake noise whenever I come to stop at stop sign/traffic light... It's quite embrassing that your new TL makes squealing noise when it gets all the attention at the stop sign.... :'( I brought my car to Acura Service and they sprayed 'something' on the brake pad to eliminate the noise only for 2 days. They said they'll replace brake pad if necessary, however, I'm not sure that solves the problem permanently. Any suggestions regarding how to remove this noise?
I seem to recall someone saying their dealer reset the pads, which reduced the noise, others have said the noise goes away over time. However, I've got over 8k miles and still have a very loud and persistent squeal (not squeak). Given that some 6spd owners don't have this problem (or at least not to the degree of others), I will look to my dealer to be responsive at my next oil change. Heck, even if they change the pads and the problem persists, it'll buy me a few months before I have to pay for new pads myself.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
I hear a single click in the dash when I apply the brakes at any speed, it sounds like an electrical relay triggering the brake lights. Anybody else notice this?

Don
Don,

My dealer replaced the brake switch, which solved the clicking sound for a few days, but I once again have the same sound. Search for other threads with "brake clicking" and you'll surely find more detailed commentary.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a method on this forum to break in the brakes, and haven't had ANY squealing problems with my brakes. I do get loads of dust, but look at any BMW, Mercedes, Audi, they all have terrible dust problems with the front rotors. It's just something you have to deal with. As for my brakes, I just wipe them down daily with a paper towel each night or morning, and that keeps the rims clean. It's when you let it accumulate that it's a problem. It only takes 3-4 minutes, and keeps them shiny.

I really think the squealing problems is because of glazed rotors, caused by not braking them in properly. I've done this in every car I've owned, and never had one brake squeal with any car.....2Audi's, 4 Acura's, 1 Honda, 1 Corvette, 1 240Z, 1BMW.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought all racing-type brakes squeal a little and emit a lot of dust!?!?!
Old 08-04-2004, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

hello everyone,

i took my 04TL 6MT for it's first service today, and told the dealer about the squealing noise on my brembo brakes.

anyhow, the dealership told me that Brembo acknowledged the issue and will be issuing a fix next month - which means that i will have to get in touch with the dealership or them getting in touch with me to fix my squealing brakes - well, at least they are aware of the issue.

has anybody else been told about this??

elmer
Old 08-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

After complaining to my dealer that other TL owners reported a fix for their brake squeal, they finally admitted there is a service bulletin, replaced my pads and took a bit off the rotors. No more squealing.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:53 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
350 Track owners have the same issue so its definately a Brembo issue.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine squeeled for a while. But now I never hear it squeel.